Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 11:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesels: Test drove an A6 3.0TDI and a BMW 525d

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think you still should have a go at the 530d. There is a noticeable amount of difference in the interiors, and huge difference in the drive between the 525 and the 530d. I think its a must before you decide on the Audi.

Couldnt agree more. There sure is noticable difference in the 530 as compared to the 525. Driving them is a different ballgame alltogether. The 530 is way better than the 525.

Harbir, do have a look at the 530 before you make your final choice!

On another note, what interior color choice are you going in for? Thats on the A6. Do update the details.
Old 21st November 2011, 12:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
serious confusion about whether to go diesel or petrol.

diesel is the sensible choice. low running cost, much easier resale, quite fast.

petrol is that much smoother and faster. ugh
IMHO get the diesel without any second thought. Besides 3.0TDI being potent enough in its own right - you'd thank yourself once it is time to sell-off few years down the line. The resale difference would be quite a sum.
Old 21st November 2011, 12:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Iv said it once before a few posts ago. Practicality anyday says you should get the diesel. At 6.1 to the ton its very quick in my books but even comparing it to its petrol sibling on high grade fuel, it still is fast enough.
Longer intervals between fueling up, no hassles of high grade diesel since standard diesel is recommended and fuel prices in the whereabouts of 40 depending on where in the country you are, all together make the diesel a peace of mind proposition and i repeat , it is seriously quick anyways. Where smoothness is concerned, diesels are improving at such a furious pace that in many German cars, its hard to tell the oil burner apart from its petrol sibling. That said, petrols are always smoother than their diesel counterparts.
Old 21st November 2011, 12:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Couldnt agree more. There sure is noticable difference in the 530 as compared to the 525. Driving them is a different ballgame alltogether. The 530 is way better than the 525.

Harbir, do have a look at the 530 before you make your final choice!

On another note, what interior color choice are you going in for? Thats on the A6. Do update the details.
I am not sure that I understand. If the 530D is like a 525d but with much more power and effortlessness in the drive, that would not be enough to swing the balance away from the A6.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure that I understand. If the 530D is like a 525d but with much more power and effortlessness in the drive, that would not be enough to swing the balance away from the A6.

Agreed. An a6 3.0 TDI has arrived next door. The 530d has a more responsive steering surely but it has nothing going its way for it to be termed as a superior car.
The A6 3.0 TDi is a fantastic car and am glad you like it.
Old 21st November 2011, 15:17   #36
BHPian

On one last call from me, I'd still suggest a 530d for it's material quality and drive feel over an Audi. Find a 530d to test "drive", if you can!

It your personal choice at the end though! Whichever makes you feel right.
Old 21st November 2011, 18:25   #37
BHPian

Slightly OT but couldn't resist (I'm sorry). One of my tenant recently switched from 520d purchased few months back to A6 2.0TDI. His reasons - for everyday normal city usage and feeling of wellness (plusher feel of interiors) it felt much better in the Audi and somehow I agree with him.
Old 21st November 2011, 20:05   #38
BHPian

Laid down a deposit for a 3.0TFSI to hold the car. My dad's in J&K and unless the dealership flips out in a desire to sell the car and meet the month's quota by the end of the month, this should be the car my dad will get. Though he has asked inside sources to find out about the status of the EFTA talks, so we'll see how that goes.

Why the TFSI?

I test drove one. and then a TDI again.

The TDI is effectively the faster car. Its got massive thrust low in the rev range so it HAULS BUTT. Just tip into the throttle a bit and the car LEAPS powerfully and you feel the thrust in your belly as you get pushed back. The petrol isn't slow, but its certainly got a much skinnier feel to the throttle compared to the very meaty diesel. Since car is powerful enough that normal driving at city speeds is not far off idle, the petrol feels soft compared to the diesel. and if you demand instant power with a stomp on the throttle, the car has to shift down a large number of gears, causing a downshift jerk after a delay that you never get in the diesel.

SO if you want a car that just jumps off the line and wallops you with torque, the TDI is the one to have.

The petrol turns the tables at speed. It flies. However, honestly, Indian conditions, especially in north India where you're limited to sub 100km/h speeds, the thrill of the petrol may never be felt except by a good driver on a himalayan road who uses the DSG to keep the engine on the boil as he rockets from apex to apex. But for the more relaxed sort of driving that indians do (even when they are flying at triple digit roads), the diesel is much more suited.

So why the petrol?

because the TDI is a crude, rough, noisy car compared to the petrol.

I find it shocking to be saying this about that that had blown me away with its refinement and smoothness just a few days ago. But the fact is, the petrol is orders of magnitude smoother, quieter, silkier, more refined. Compared to the petrol, the TDI quivers and burrrs. Its so evident, there is just no way to dismiss it as a minor difference. On the move, the TDI is quite gruff. The engine note that sounded sporting a few days ago sounded crude after the silky song of the petrol. What was an extremely refined and smooth NVH level a few days ago is appalling in its roughness compared to the petrol.

Of course none of this is in absolute terms. In absolute terms, the TDI is breathtaking in its polish and refinement.

But the petrol just showed me today why Audi and all the other companies still bother making petrols, even when diesels have become so good, and been made so economically attractive by fuel consumption differences and government taxation plans (agro-friendly diesel prices here, global warming focused CO2 taxation there).

Diesels are great.

But I decided that my dad is buying this car so as to have the most elevated expereince of luxury, refinement, smoothness, polish at 50 lacs, and the economic advantage of the diesel just doesn't merit going with second best on those factors.

Of course for the vast majority, it does. but audi DOES sell a few petrols, and now I know why and to whom.
Old 21st November 2011, 21:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the booking, Have you been offered any discounts? Please check the below thread that talks about some hefty year-end discounts on the Audi.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2583406

PS: May I ask you how much kilometers had the TD 3.0 TDi A6 done?
Old 21st November 2011, 22:34   #40
BHPian

2.5lacs on petrol, 1.5 on diesel.

the petrol had 6km. the tdi had about 200

and the TDI's vibes and noise was the same as two parked on the showroom floor that I sat in and turned on (10-12 km)
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:56   #41
BHPian

I just test drove an E350.

Its a very stately car to drive. The interior, seating posture, the view out, the design details large and small, all create a very elegant, very formal, experience. On the move at slow speed, the car impresses really hugely with its refinement and polish that makes the Audi's polish feel synthetic, artificial. The steering is exquisite, the ride at slow speeds is like on a film of oil on a plate of glass in terms of its isolation of surface textures. The body movements are gentle and long period. The car wafts. I've only ever felt this kind of wafting in only two other cars, both mercedes.

The engine is wonderful. Its not as powerful as the audi's and no smoother, but its very satisfying none the less. It makes a lovely noises when given the spurs. The transmission is utterly transparent. Unless you demand a sudden burst of power, you are never even aware that the car is powered by anything other than an electric motor. and when you do goose it, there are no jerks or vibes. just a sudden snarl as the car races forward.

In absolute terms, its a marvelous car.

but it doesn't knock the Audi A6 from its perch. Its interior is very nice and very appealing in its own way, but doesn't beat the Audi. At higher speeds, the E350 loses its composure on our roads. Nothing untoward, but the ride gets busy and the harder impacts are not just felt but heard. Going 100km/h on an elevated highway that has good but uneven surface, you don't feel at all that you are in a really superior luxury car because of how busy the ride gets.

Its an excellent car for city work but for highway work, its no match for the TDI audi, never mind the petrol A6 because its far too busy and lets through too much of the commotion to the driver, without any corresponding upside.

The way I see it, It beats the BMW as a luxury car and comes in second in this class after the A6. as a sporting car, it trails both.

It would be right off the table relative to the A6, except the mercedes dealer threw me a googly.

There is a 4 lac discount that makes its price identical to the Audi A6 3.0TFSI's after that car's 2.5lac discount. but then there is also a 2.5lac rupee petrol card, and there is a 1.5lac rupee bonus on your exchange, if you make one. That effectively makes it 4 lacs cheaper than the A6.

But its worth keeping in mind that this E class is due for replacement and that in itself causes a decline in its value while the A6 is brand new.

With that in mind, and considering that the A6 is by far the better car, is it worth going for the E350? Something to think about.

Last edited by Harbir : 22nd November 2011 at 16:09.
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:29   #42
BHPian

If you have opened your options for an E-Class, would strongly suggest you to take a TD for E 350CDI as well. While not many cars are rated 10/10 by ACI and others, the refinement levels and pulling power in 350CDI in some ways is better than E 350. You should be able to get a decent discount ( may be upto 5L or more) in Dec. Factor in low running cost and a much better resale, suddenly it seems a far better proposition.
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

THe E350 compares better with a A6 2.8 petrol.

The extra you pay for the 3.0Tfsi gets you both a supercharger and Quattro which is like an E500 4matic
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:22   #44
BHPian

Again, echoing my comments earlier regarding the BMWs, what difference would the engine change make my issues with the car are related to its chassis rather than the engine?

As to comparing with the 2.8FSI instead, a) 272hp is a lot closer to the 3.0T's 295 than to the 2.8's 201. The torque figure is about halfway between the two. b)in my view, God's own car would be rear wheel drive, so thats no debit for the Mercedes, and no comparison a wrong wheel drive automobile.

just my opinion of course

Last edited by Harbir : 22nd November 2011 at 20:39.
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:43   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh just take a drive in the 530d will you . Its got the adjustable suspension, a much bigger iDrive. A much cooler instrument cluster, HUD, and rear tv's incase that makes any difference. The interior does manage to look more upmarket. Check out the red/brown leather. And the 40bhp and 90nm make a bigger difference than you think. Either way if you are spending 50+ why not just reassure your decision if you are so set on the Audi

EDIT - Oops the 525d too has the tv's at the back.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 22nd November 2011 at 20:52.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks