Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 18:40   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio - First trip update

Hi Everyone,

My first write up related to my experience with my buddy.
Drive to Mysore was good enough reason for me to write my experience and hope everyone like it.I was looking for a bigger car to upgrade from my 5 year old Santro and was looking for sedans and SUVs. Test drove Hyundai, ford’s offering and was finding it little difficult to adjust to these cars are they are little low in seating as compared to Santro. Then came a moment decided to go for SUVs’, I always liked Safari from my college days but somehow it lost out and then came Scorpio. Matter of fact I was looking to buy Bolero zlx which I was actively updating in another post. But in the end I got convinced to buy refined Scorpio with luxury that provides me with this SUV.

Booking experience: It was a never ending task which I would remember. Called Sireesh Auto as I went there for Bolero test drive to bring Scorpio VLX and bang in 1 hour came Mr. Manju with top end variant and took a test drive. At the first drive itself liked the response and small gizmos it offered. Came back and booked it. Expected date of delivery 9th Nov 2011, from here on starts the call chase ups. No vehicle till 15th Nov so called up SKS Auto another blunder from my end to book as they promised delivery in one week.In the mean time Mr.Manju was trying from his end but told me no vehicles till November end. SKS Koramangala confirmed that vehicle has reached in their stock yeard and I need to pay so that I can get the delivery in next 3 days. As extensively discussed in form went against Mr.Santosh (Sales person’s) word and wanted to check this vehicle which was in SKS Banergatta. To my surprise it was without airbag one which I didn’t wanted and called up the guy to see me. Mr Santosh made me wait for 2 long hours and this was his response “Seer you did the right thing by seeing this car as I was about to get it registered this car in your name”. How come a sales guy without checking the vehicle wants me to pay and get things done…..horrible.
I was sure SKS won’t be able to deliver the car either and decided to wait for Mr. Manju’s call and it came on 23rd Nov to see the car myself in Marathahalli stockyard. Went and did the formalities and from there on it was smooth sailing till delivery on 27th Nov. I would recommend Mr Manju to any new aspirants to buy Scorpio as he is confident and knows what customer service is.

Drive and overall experience:

Seating: Being a 8 seater have its advantages. Middle row slide able and reclaim able which is not possible in 7 seater. Leg room good enough for all members except for the last row where 5 foot people can adjust nicely. Driver end should have height adjustable seat at least in top end which is missing. Good amount of under thigh support in front seats but rear and middle one lacks what I felt.

Storage space:
There are lack of good storage space for tissue box and small items. Boot space could be ample if you remove last row seats and it would digest any amount of luggage’s you throw into. Map holders and bottle holders could have been better places with spring stoppers found in other cars not like the basic ones with holes present in Scorpio.

Built quality: Mahindra has built this vehicle nicely but fit and finish not up to the mark when compared with others. Electrical wires dangle here and there like the one underneath driver’s seat and the one in foot board. Every day I need to tug it in. Plastic switches feel low quality and I do feel my 5 year old santro has better quality switches. Panel gaps here and there but that can be ignored at present.

Suspension: Suspension good enough to ignore potholes which was scary while driving Santro. Highways stability good enough as of now as I couldn’t go beyond 80km/hr till 2000Km. While my way back from Mysore missed one of the potholes and one of the tyre banged on it nothing happened what I felt .More update once I complete my trip to Pondicherry.

Gear shift:
As seen in many forums gear level vibrates highly and putting into 3rd and reverse is a challenge and trick I would say. As mentioned in another post morning start up practice helps like pumping clutch for 3-4 times, changing gears 1,2,3,4 and reverse everyday frees up gears a little bit and after ignition idling it for 30 sec or so before full journey made my experience better. Thanks to all experts and their reviews for the help.

Audio:
Nippon audio is good enough with supplied speakers just need to adjust BASS & Treble for just that output. Speakers would require an upgrade I think but Vitamin M is a constraint now.

Steering feel & Cruise control: Steering feels good but I think it should be wrapped in leather to feel better. Audio controls are good and hands free is a boon while driving. Microphone a tad too far from driving seat so callers feel you are away taking calls somewhere. Cruise control good enough in long drives and engaging and dis-engaging is easy.

Micro hybrid, Tyre Tronics, Follow me & Auto wipers: I have not tried Micro hybrid so can’t comment as of now, as per service guys can use this feature once 2000Km has been done. Tyre Tronics works fine but I do feel ( +- 1) unit correction always required. Nitrogen has been filled on all 5 tyres. Follow me and auto wipers are at its best…love them.
As of now 800 kms done and would update once I comeback from my trip to Pondicherry…enjoy driving till then.

Snaps to follow related to the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio - First trip update-dsc04792.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio - First trip update-dsc04877.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio - First trip update-dsc04784.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio - First trip update-dsc04796.jpg  

Last edited by supratim07 : 15th December 2011 at 21:12. Reason: Wanted to update everybit of my experiance point wise
supratim07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 21:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new buddy first trip update

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
Hi Everyone,
Queries for BHpains:
  1. Which fuel is best Shell or normal diesel from IOC/HP.I used shell for first tank full.But as per service adviser who came to explain feature advised me to use only one type to continue i.e. if i use extra premium diesel then i should continue using them. Is that true?
  2. I am not sure if under body protection has been done or not because i have been charged before the delivery and i couldn't see any visible difference in under body.
  3. Cruise control as informed could be engaged by pressing plus sigh for some time is this advisable rather than using the small red flap.
These are the points that i have in my mind .
Snaps to follow related to the trip.

Congrats on your scorpio. Wishing you many many pleasant miles ahead.

1) It is best to use ordinary diesel itself. No harm in the same. At least it would be lighter on your pocket. there is a scam w.r.t Premium fuels in most pumps, where they unload ordinary fuel in the premium tanks.

2) I am 100% sure underbody protection would not have been done unless otherwise specifically requested / paid for. Check your wheel arches' underside, and you should see a black or a brown coating (paint). This is the under chassis protection. If its plain or body colored, the coating has not been done.

3) It is best to engage using the res/set button. Please check the manual if they advice you to do so. In non-Mahindras it is recommended to use only Res/Set button to engage and +/- button to increase/decrease speed.

Also, please post a full ownership review with booking and delivery experience. there are numerous threads that you could refer as samples.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 7th December 2011 at 21:31.
Old 7th December 2011, 21:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for sharing the pics. Rather than posting just trip details, please make it a complete ownership report and you could discuss everything about your ride. That will be more helpful to a lot of guys looking for info on Scorpio.

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!
Old 8th December 2011, 00:55   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride. Hope you have many happy miles with this vehicle.

Use Normal diesel. There is no point going for the more expensive diesels or Shell. Just ensure that the petrol bunk is a good one with no mixing of Kerosene.

About the gears, dont worry too much. Once you have put more miles with the Scorpio, it should ease up a bit and you will get used to it.

Body roll not much!!! Just make sure you dont drive in the curves at high speed otherwise you will realize how much top heavy this vehicle is. Much much more than a Santro.

Are those alloys on the vehicle standard? Or did you buy a separate set? IIRC, the OEM alloys on scorpio are different than the one's in your pics.

If it is not too much to ask, could you elaborate on decision for scorpio and other contenders you considered? As well as the OTR price you paid.
Old 8th December 2011, 22:11   #5
BHPian

Hi himavanth_m, my Scorpio came with these alloys...it seems Mahindra have changed them recently from older ones.
Would put up full booking and delivery details shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Congrats on your new ride. Hope you have many happy miles with this vehicle.

Use Normal diesel. There is no point going for the more expensive diesels or Shell. Just ensure that the petrol bunk is a good one with no mixing of Kerosene.

About the gears, dont worry too much. Once you have put more miles with the Scorpio, it should ease up a bit and you will get used to it.

Body roll not much!!! Just make sure you dont drive in the curves at high speed otherwise you will realize how much top heavy this vehicle is. Much much more than a Santro.

Are those alloys on the vehicle standard? Or did you buy a separate set? IIRC, the OEM alloys on scorpio are different than the one's in your pics.

If it is not too much to ask, could you elaborate on decision for scorpio and other contenders you considered? As well as the OTR price you paid.
Old 16th December 2011, 16:11   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio - First trip update

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Forum. Thanks for sharing!
Old 16th December 2011, 17:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
These are the new OE alloys.
Old 16th December 2011, 17:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi himavanth_m, my Scorpio came with these alloys...it seems Mahindra have changed them recently from older ones.
Would put up full booking and delivery details shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
These are the new OE alloys.
These alloys look very much similar to the Aria's OE alloys. The only differentiating factor seems to be the Mahindra Logo on these alloys.
Old 16th December 2011, 18:06   #9
BHPian

Hi himavanth_m .....Alloys for comparisons... they look almost the same but they are different
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio - First trip update-screen-captures.jpg  

Old 16th December 2011, 18:35   #10
BHPian

Forgot to add some discount bits offered by Dealer/Mahindra:
1. Loyalty bonus : 15K
2. Corporate discount : 5K
3. Free insurance: 34K ( This one i opted out as per recomendations from fellow Bhpians and saved 15K
Old 17th December 2011, 19:11   #11
BHPian

Supratim07, Congrats on the stunning white Scorpio. IMO, the white VLX looks the best. I am planning for the same one in the near future (hopefully soon). Do you mind sharing the OTR price excluding all the discounts you received from the dealer? Please PM me with the details. Thanks in advance. Enjoy your beast and drive safe.

Cheers
Old 28th December 2011, 16:00   #12
BHPian

1700Km update.....
Just back from trip to Pondicherry and we covered good road & some bad ones.To be honest bad one's never bother us as my buddy was cursing nicely over bad patches and potholes with ease.

1.Drive in 4 lane expressway - It was nice to drive without traffic on Krishnagiri - Vellore highway but i was limited to my speed of 80-90 Km/hr as i was informed. So obvisoulsy i was seeing all other cars doing 120+ zip past me with ease. I would do the same once i cross 2000Km......

2. Cruise Control - A boon on highways and it came handy.

3.Bridgestone H/T Tyres - Good for road but bad for sand. This happened when i reached Pondicheery and wanted to visit ECR to have a look at nearly beach and i did.Now, as you see being a novice driver though of taking my buddy towards the parking lot where i could see Innova, Scorpio and one Bolero Max truck parked out near beach. Big mistake..... suddenly i felt buddy is not pulling so stooped it at once and saw rear wheel stuck on sand. Here comes the bad picture ....one guy offered me help and i obliged as i was new to drive "SUV" bcoz his commnets made me confident that he may pull it over " i am a Safari driver trust me..". Wrost mistake my whole back trye went inside beach sand and i am totally stuck.These tyres were spinning like they don't have any grip on them.And i see this guy slowly move away from the scene. Thanks to another Mahindra vehicle that pulled mine out ......Bolero Max.

4.Comfort - Awesome comfort while driving and my wife & Kid were happy after 7 hrs of drive. i used to get tyired after driving 3 rs from Mysore now ...nothing sort of that.

5. Cup/small holders - Felt lack of cup and bottle holders on this journey. Big or average bottle couldn't be put on driver's side where gear lever interferes. M&M should redesign their interior to an extend where these holders could be used.

6.Rubber biding needs to be checked as they tend to come out of their slot after a long drive which i have seen on driver's and co-passenger side.

7.Gears - Slowly getting used to all gears except the reverse as it looks difficult to place it at first instance.

8.Milage - Got in an average of 18 km/l if my calculations are right.Not bad on highways and that too on a new vehicle.May be driving at 80-90 km/hr could have given me this mileage.

9.Head lights - I feel head lights need and upgrade to a powerful one .....this bcoz while returning back it was already 7pm and i was finding it difficult to see people and bikes all around Hosur road.

10.Music System - Its nice and gave be good amount of output. No need to change i would suggest as of now.

Lets see if i can put some more travel updates soon
Old 28th December 2011, 16:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
1700Km update.....

8.Milage - Got in an average of 18 km/l if my calculations are right.Not bad on highways and that too on a new vehicle.May be driving at 80-90 km/hr could have given me this mileage.

Lets see if i can put some more travel updates soon

How did you check the average? Was this a tankful to tankful method?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 28th December 2011, 16:08   #14
BANNED

Quote:
18 kmpl?? You sure? This could very well be the highest FE recorded on a Scorp. How did you measure it?
Old 28th December 2011, 16:14   #15
BHPian

Calc mistake i think it should be 396.4/40 lit = 9.91 km/lit my earlier calc was wrong as pointed out
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
18 kmpl?? You sure? This could very well be the highest FE recorded on a Scorp. How did you measure it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks