Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2012, 10:22   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2000km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Not much to update. Mostly photographs of my car. She looks beautiful.
Good to see that you’re enjoying the car. Do keep updating on the experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan
Now that there is an addition to the family (I have a 3 month old son)

I was holding speeds of 130kmph for extended periods. Nothing could unsettle the car.

The engine was spinning at just 4300rpm and we were doing speeds of 170kmph.
Now I have to say this. The car maybe good to handle high speeds, the roads maybe prefect, but doing 130 or 170 kmph with a 3 months old baby onboard and that too without safely securing him in a child seat (couldn’t see one from the pictures and hence the assumption) is pure madness.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : The Poor Man's Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Congratulations on the Jet ride.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
You have mentioned that the car feels slow and seemingly lacks power in your earlier posts. Not sure if you still feel the same
This is still a problem. It is the initial acceleration that feels low on power. My only memory of driving another T Jet are the test drive cars. If memory serves me right; they had more power. My car was good till the first tank full. Never been the same after. The engine vibrates ever so slightly too.

Quote:
You have been driving on pretty low revs continously and the ECU adapts to the driving style.
I have. This sort of behavior is observed on cars with an automatic gear box. The system adapts to how you give throttle inputs. I doubt if the ecu on my car will reduce power based on how I have been driving. Power and torque should be available at all times. It can't just drop. I know there is a problem. I just don't know how to demonstrate it to the dealers. A back to back drive of two T Jets will help.

Quote:
You may try holding on to the gear till you reach HP max, you will find that in the manual.
How does this help? Your actually killing the engine if you drive this way. My point is; on my first drive with the cars first full load of fuel, there was a certain amount of power and torque that I got used to. I never felt like revving over 2000rpm in the first 3 gears. I could make considerable progress within 2000rpm. It does not feel the same anymore. The engine and turbo needs more revs for the same power that I used to get at just 2000rpm.

Quote:
Do the above for a couple of gears, and then watch the difference when you drive.
I have done this a few times. Not to maximum rpm. Just a shade over 4500rpm. It feels like everything is normal. The initial grunt stills feels off though.

Quote:
I feel that the Fiat seat squabs (bottom) are pretty deep, and they provide very good under thigh support both in the front and the back.
This is correct.

Quote:
If you have noticed the front seats also are pretty wide.
Yupp and very supportive.

Quote:
But i feel that the Ikon rear seat severely lacks under thigh support relative to your current Fiat.
Yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
First of all congrats on the beauty. It looks awesome simply. And every spirited drive will be just pure bliss.
Thank you very much Sathya_sc

Quote:
Am confused. Is there an intercooler in the Indian TJet?
Yes. Team Bhp review says there is no inter cooler, and hence, I reported the same in my post. Just take a peek into the lowest radiator grill, the one closest to the ground and you will find it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
but doing 130 or 170 kmph with a 3 months old baby onboard and that too without safely securing him in a child seat
Your point is valid and yes; it is madness. A 3 month old baby is too small to be in a baby seat. At this age, the baby is actually safer with the mother. The best I could do for my family is switch off the passenger air bag and I did that. Better than this would be to have my wife and son sitting at the back. I will do this next time around. I had them sit at the back on our first road trip during Christmas.
Old 30th January 2012, 09:15   #33
BHPian

Sandeep,

The ecu adapts itself to the driving style. I witnessed it once personally..I experienced it very clearly when i was returning from kotagiri to chennai once. There was a Fortuner which was doing consistent and rash speeds cutting across multiple cars and changing lanes like crazy where i also fell prey for it. Got really annoyed and I started doing high speeds like revving it hard in every gear until redline.. For the first few kms of the high speed chase.. for about 20kms the Jet was behaving strange - Felt lack of power. But I kind of stressed the engine to keep pace with the fortuner. Suddenly after about 20kms.. My jet started behaving like a true jet. I still remember vividly, when i changed to fourth gear from third at around 140 the car took off like a rocket taking the speedo to 190 at no time leaving the fortuner behind..

Post that exp. I started believing this concept of ecu adapting to driving style.. There was a whole lot of difference with the way the jet behaved initially and after some time where it kind of understood the 'changed' driving style (from cruising to mad revving).

In your case, i believe the car has just adapted to your sedate driving style or may be the way you gradually build speeds.. All it needs is a adrenaline pill.. You know what i mean!
Sathya_sc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 09:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sandeep,
The ecu adapts itself to the driving style.
Post that exp. I started believing this concept of ecu adapting to driving style..
I don't own a T-Jet, but honestly, this makes no sense. I don't think the Linea has an ECU with multiple maps, so there's no "sport" mode that can kick in.
Old 30th January 2012, 09:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya

I don't own a T-Jet, but honestly, this makes no sense. I don't think the Linea has an ECU with multiple maps, so there's no "sport" mode that can kick in.
I am no expert Amartya in this aspect. Even i did not belive this concept of Ecu adapting to driving style initially. Whatever you are saying sounds very logical to me. But the exp i had changed my perception towards this matter. I could be wrong by all wayz or it could have been due to some other factor, but wanted to share my experience which made me buy into this ecu adapting thing.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 30th January 2012 at 09:38.
Old 30th January 2012, 09:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I believe that most modern ECUs are closed loop stuff. Hence, a variation in driving style does change the way they behave (within the limits).

Sandeep,
How many miles under the hood now?

Are the current crop of Fiat owners still facing the 5000kms transformation?

My GP felt somewhat restrained till 5k (felt really strained doing 140clicks on NH4);during the same trip I crossed the 5k mark and was happily touching 160 on the way back!
Old 30th January 2012, 10:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
For the first few kms of the high speed chase.. for about 20kms the Jet was behaving strange - Felt lack of power. But I kind of stressed the engine to keep pace with the fortuner. Suddenly after about 20kms.. My jet started behaving like a true jet. I still remember vividly, when i changed to fourth gear from third at around 140 the car took off like a rocket taking the speedo to 190 at no time leaving the fortuner behind..

Post that exp. I started believing this concept of ecu adapting to driving style.. There was a whole lot of difference with the way the jet behaved initially and after some time where it kind of understood the 'changed' driving style (from cruising to mad revving).
this happens even in a FIAT PALIO & in all FIAT cars, to test it what you can do is, when the car is stand still switch on the car with AC on,leave it for some 30-45 mins & then without switching the car off try to drive it & see how it feels, it would struggle to move out of the block,after some 3-5kms of driving it changes for better & then goes back to normal after some 10-15kms,this is due the fuel efficiency optimization techniques programmed in Magneti Marelli ECU
sanjaymugur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 13:27   #38
BHPian

Amartya
I dont own a TJet, have a MJD, the car responds to the way you drive.
Drive it sedately, it works.
Rev it, it will respond.

I obviously do not have an understanding of the implementation of the ECU.

But ground reality is what is shared by @Sathya_sc and other posts.
Old 30th January 2012, 20:38   #39
BHPian

Re: 2000km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good to see that you’re enjoying the car. Do keep updating on the experiences.

Now I have to say this. The car maybe good to handle high speeds, the roads maybe prefect, but doing 130 or 170 kmph with a 3 months old baby onboard and that too without safely securing him in a child seat (couldn’t see one from the pictures and hence the assumption) is pure madness.

Sandeep- first up, many a congrats and the t-Jet looks smoking. Real glad to see that you and the family are enjoying her to the fullest.

Now coming to vb-san's point. I second him here and you do get rear facing baby seats for 3 month olds. In fact you can get a convertible which can double up as a front facing one after the kid is 8 kgs or so. I have picked one up for my 6 month old after going reading up and looking at a lot of seats.

Happy and Safe Motoring!

Last edited by mnemonic : 30th January 2012 at 20:39. Reason: Typo
mnemonic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 09:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

A bit late into the party, but hearty congrats anyways for the TJet. Fantastic car and nice choice of colour too. My question though is- how are you coping with the restraint to be exercised while running in of the new engine. I have bought the new Swift VVT, and boy, that K12 engine is a screamer all right! I am having a REALLY tough time trying to keep the upshift point at 2K RPM. The engine just begs to be revved harder, and at 2K, it is just about starting to sing. 4.5K revs left to play around with, and all I can do is move to the next gear
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 09:51   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
A bit late into the party, but hearty congrats anyways for the TJet. Fantastic car and nice choice of colour too. My question though is- how are you coping with the restraint to be exercised while running in of the new engine. I have bought the new Swift VVT, and boy, that K12 engine is a screamer all right! I am having a REALLY tough time trying to keep the upshift point at 2K RPM. The engine just begs to be revved harder, and at 2K, it is just about starting to sing. 4.5K revs left to play around with, and all I can do is move to the next gear
2k is pretty silly, I'm sure you will end up lugging the engine and causing even more damage. Where did you get the 2k figure from?

I don't know where these figures fly around -
Petrol engine - 4000RPM
Diesel engine - 3000RPM

These should be safe running it engine speeds.
Old 31st January 2012, 10:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
2k is pretty silly, I'm sure you will end up lugging the engine and causing even more damage. Where did you get the 2k figure from?

I don't know where these figures fly around -
Petrol engine - 4000RPM
Diesel engine - 3000RPM

These should be safe running it engine speeds.
Are the above figures not on the higher side (for the petrol engine)?

I am referring to the first few hundred kms, lets say 500-600 kms, following which one may gradually increase the revs over the span of the first 1000kms (the first servicing being the benchmark generally). If one upshifts at 4000RPM right from the outset, will this not put immediate strain on a new engine?

In other words, is it not better to gradually increase the revs over the first 1-2000 kms (this seems to be the prevailing opinion on the forum in the Running In of New Car thread)? This is what Mod TSK says in his opening post on the Running In thread:

"For a petrol engine do not allow the RPMs to go over 2,500 for the first 1,000 km. After that, you can increase the limit to 3,000 RPMs until 1,500 km and then gradually increase it to the maximum by 2,500 km."

Further, shifting at 2000RPM does not result in lugging the engine, the K12 engine actually lugs if you upshift to the next higher gear at say lower than 1200-1300 RPM. This is what I have observed in the course of driving the car for about 700 kms over the last month.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 31st January 2012 at 10:33.
Old 31st January 2012, 13:12   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

"For a petrol engine do not allow the RPMs to go over 2,500 for the first 1,000 km. After that, you can increase the limit to 3,000 RPMs until 1,500 km and then gradually increase it to the maximum by 2,500 km."

Further, shifting at 2000RPM does not result in lugging the engine, the K12 engine actually lugs if you upshift to the next higher gear at say lower than 1200-1300 RPM. This is what I have observed in the course of driving the car for about 700 kms over the last month.
Its not on the higher side at all. Infact 4.5k rpm is what was recommended in the Getz manual when I had one back in 05.

Either way I'm pretty sure even if no run in procedure is followed there will be no harm done, yet it is just a precaution which we all take.

Well I've found if I shift at 2k rpm then most of the traffic leaves me behind so I don't know how people can drive like that for 1000s of KMs.

Again sir, its upto you, but I can assure you no harm will be done if you drive with a little less care on the rpm and enjoy the K12 engine and its rev happy nature.
Old 31st January 2012, 13:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its not on the higher side at all. Infact 4.5k rpm is what was recommended in the Getz manual when I had one back in 05.

Either way I'm pretty sure even if no run in procedure is followed there will be no harm done, yet it is just a precaution which we all take.

Well I've found if I shift at 2k rpm then most of the traffic leaves me behind so I don't know how people can drive like that for 1000s of KMs.

Again sir, its upto you, but I can assure you no harm will be done if you drive with a little less care on the rpm and enjoy the K12 engine and its rev happy nature.
Thanks for the insight Akshay. Always helpful to hear different views.

Its true that most modern engines do not specifically require run in (at least thats what most dealers will tell you), but we being overly obsessive about our steeds, take this extra precaution. And yes, you are absolutely right, shifting at 2K RPM does leave me behind in the traffic, but the way I look at it is, its a small sacrifice to make for the first 1000 kms for the optimum life of the engine for the next 1 lakh kilometers

However, I have bought this car for its revv happy and powerful engine, and I definitely intend to start increasing the revs and enjoying the mill (especially its growl post 3K RPM) very soon!

Cheers!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 31st January 2012 at 13:18.
Old 31st January 2012, 13:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

@Sandeep Mohan: I think if you want to give it some stick, just wind down the windows (B'lore must be quiet chill, now) and give it some stick. Your car has a small capacity turbo motor so if drop beneath 2k rpm it will be slow to respond and may also stall when you go over the notorious B'lore Speed Breakers. Take her out onto the highway and check her out, there's no way you can make the service person understand and also have the tyre's properly inflated and fuel from an outlet with a good reputation. I just use the rains as an excuse and drop my son off at the bus stop and wind up the motor in the early morning calm and my car makes me smile, so will yours when you find the right stretch to do the same, in B'lore peak hour city traffic, forget it.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 31st January 2012 at 13:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks