Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 12:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A new year, a new car - my BNW Punto 1.3 MJD EP+

Congrats buddy, BNW is my favourite colour in Punto. The horn issue is really strange, hearing it for the first time.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats on your latest stint with an Italian Babe DeepChat !!

She just looks Gorgeous under that early morning light.

I did drive the 75hp Multijet once before and can relate to everything that you have mentioned. I believe the only reason why this beauty is not a Stonker on road is due to its weight.
Its like asking Arnie to beat Bolt in a 100 mts Dash!! Ofcourse we know who would fare better in moving weights around.
Thanks Vik0728! I think the white looks best under early morning and late evening light, with the headlights on. Unfortunately I was a little too late in taking the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Congrats bro on your Punto and welcome to the FIAT club (Once again). That's a nicely written initial ownership report for sure.

BTW, Punto is one such hatch which can carry ANY color effortlessly and look equally elegant in every color
Thanks neoonwheels! I have been a member of this club since 1992. It started with a used '84 Premier Padmini Deluxe BE, then to a Palio in 2001 and now a Punto. I guess the UNO was missed out, otherwise all the generations have been represented. My dad is considering whether to upgrade the Palio to a Linea. I hope that doesn't happen. I'd like to keep the Palio for some more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition

I'm facing the same issue of the media player turning off for a few seconds if I press the horn too long on my linea, I haven't been bothered enough to get it checked up at the ASC. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem, but then, a Fiat wouldn't be a fiat without a few quirks
I guess that's FIAT's way of giving us a 'customized' car But I am not too bothered about it yet. Actually when I am driving, I am too busy grinning to listen to music.

Has FIAT worked to improve the interiors? Or am I too much in love with my car to notice anything amiss? I have seen lots of horror stories on panel gaps, especially around the the ignition key slot. I haven't yet come across any noticeable gaps. One issue I am facing is the reflection of the dash in the windscreen. It's too shiny I guess!

My wife is in love with the car too. Every time she gets in the car, there is a smile on her face
Old 16th January 2012, 11:30   #18
BHPian

Re: A new year, a new car - my BNW Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD EP+

I have some questions around the running-in period:
  1. Does this car require a run-in at all? The SA said no, but some members on the forum have said yes. So wanted to confirm.
  2. What are the run-in steps to take? What should be the RPM limit and the speed limit? Currently I haven't crossed 3K and 100 kmph. Is that OK? I tried to limit the rev at 2K, but gave that up as impractical (given that the turbo kicks in only at 2K).

Some advice would be highly appreciated.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepChat View Post
I have some questions around the running-in period:
  1. Does this car require a run-in at all? The SA said no, but some members on the forum have said yes. So wanted to confirm.
  2. What are the run-in steps to take? What should be the RPM limit and the speed limit? Currently I haven't crossed 3K and 100 kmph. Is that OK? I tried to limit the rev at 2K, but gave that up as impractical (given that the turbo kicks in only at 2K).
Some advice would be highly appreciated.
Hi DeepChat,

1) Punto does not require a run in, however its good if we drive it sedately for the initial 3K KMS. I did not rev beyond 3K RPM for the initial 3000 KMS. Once the first service is done, then you can take her to really great speeds.

2)Your driving style and pattern is perfect for running in, just one thing - you should try to avoid revving upto 3K RPM in the first 2 gears - I still follow this religiously.
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 19:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Hi DeepChat,

1) Punto does not require a run in, however its good if we drive it sedately for the initial 3K KMS. I did not rev beyond 3K RPM for the initial 3000 KMS. Once the first service is done, then you can take her to really great speeds.

2)Your driving style and pattern is perfect for running in, just one thing - you should try to avoid revving upto 3K RPM in the first 2 gears - I still follow this religiously.
Thanks for the information Scofield. Will maintain the limits till the first service interval, or will try to. Open roads and a Punto make for a potent mix where such constraints are easily forgotten

Picked up a lot of advice on how to keep the Punto spic and span. I'll be buying some stuff for this. Looks like a part of my weekends will be spent cleaning the white beauty.

After almost 500 kms, I am pretty comfortable with the diesel mill and the clutch. The gear ratios are not optimal, but 3rd gear is a killer for city driving. This realization has reduced the need for frequent gear changes and improved FE. Currently it stands at about 13.1 (as per the trip meter). The insulating capacity of the car (from external noises) is really very good. This has made my daily commute a lot more bearable.

In a separate thread I read that FIAT has offered to increase the GC for the pre-2012 models (Punto and Linea) to match those of the 2012 models. Of course, this will be at a cost. I haven't yet had any case of scraping and I am not sure how the car will handle with the increased height. Also, the wheel wells will look pretty empty. It would probably need 16" alloys rather than the current 15" ones. If any members have TD-ed the 2012 model, please share your thoughts on this (handling, looks, etc).
Old 17th January 2012, 22:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Congrats buddy, BNW is my favourite colour in Punto. The horn issue is really strange, hearing it for the first time.
Thanks Raj. Your ownership thread was one of the bibles that gave me an idea of what owning a Punto would mean.

Not that worried about the horn issue for now. It happens pretty erratically.
DeepChat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 16:12   #22
BHPian

Congrats deepchat on your BNW beauty. Pretty impressive decision making there. Most reviews that I read about 2012 Punto, have been positive about the ride and handling legacy of Punto. The added advantage of ground clearance and reduced turning diameter has been really appreciated.
Old 19th January 2012, 10:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Congrats deepchat on your BNW beauty. Pretty impressive decision making there. Most reviews that I read about 2012 Punto, have been positive about the ride and handling legacy of Punto. The added advantage of ground clearance and reduced turning diameter has been really appreciated.
Thanks NutsNBolts! I asked the SA at KHT Motors yesterday (the one I bought my car from). He doesn't have any information yet.

Yesterday was also a black day for my car - the first scratches These seem to have been administered by thoughtful pedestrians while walking past my car. The car is generally street parked while I am in office so I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. I discovered the scratches today morning and its spoilt the day for me

Need to check the DIY section on how to cover up these scratches.
Old 19th January 2012, 20:53   #24
BHPian

Check out automall.in. They have a product called quickX. I have used it on very minor scratches and abrasions. It is too good to be true.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks