Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 19:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid33

now i get it Goutham , thanks for the info. one more thing , you might have noticed that the fogs have double bulbs , the inner bulb works as a fog lamp , but whats the other bulb for ? i remember i asked someone at skoda about it , he replied that those bulbs are not activated to use in India , i really found his reply confusing , but then i wiped the thoughts from my mind.

another thing , L&K has touch screen music system which is also found on Superb , it has one function in the setup menu, named ' Traffic Information ' , i still not understand what's that. can anyone please throw some light on it ??
The other bulbs are for day time running lights and can be activated at the Skoda service center for no extra charge. @anshuman, myself, and many others have done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid33

Adi bhai , my laura L&K's exhaust pipes are bent , and its a DSG , what's your opinion ?
Your Laura LnK would be of the earlier lot, with the Bharat Stage III engines. The newer CRDi engine equipped with DSG, have straight pipes. Yet the BS IV manual Laura's also have bent pipes. Reason unknown.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th January 2012 at 21:20. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 20:06   #62
BHPian

Re: Princess of the Czech: Skoda Laura DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid33 View Post
another thing , L&K has touch screen music system which is also found on Superb , it has one function in the setup menu, named ' Traffic Information ' , i still not understand what's that. can anyone please throw some light on it ??
The skoda bolero system( in your l&k) and the skoda swing( in other variants) have this feature Traffic info feature. Ideally when you select it, the system does a quick scan through all the radio sations for any traffic reports and then tunes into a station that is annoincing them. Another cool thing about it is its always scanning in the background so when your listening to music and a traffic report is being announced in any radio station it automatically pauses your music and tune into that sation. It all sounds good but in India Radio stations do not support this and therefore doesn't work.
The skoda laura( or the ocatvia as its known world wide) Is packed with every imaginable feature but about half of them are stripped from the indian variants. Check out skoda Uk or German website for the exact and complete feature list of the octavia/laura.
Old 25th January 2012, 10:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy !
Just out of curiosity, the Jetta highline is a tad more expensive than the Laura L & K right ???
Both being top variants of the respective models have you researched what are the main differences between the 2 ??? If any, i think the L & K has more features vis a vis the Jetta.
I know for a fact that a 20 + lakh rupee Jetta highline does NOT have climate control and xenons. Horrendous. The L & K has both.
Any other differences ???
Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 10:36   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Congrats on the buy !
Just out of curiosity, the Jetta highline is a tad more expensive than the Laura L & K right ???
Both being top variants of the respective models have you researched what are the main differences between the 2 ??? If any, i think the L & K has more features vis a vis the Jetta.
I know for a fact that a 20 + lakh rupee Jetta highline does NOT have climate control and xenons. Horrendous. The L & K has both.
Any other differences ???
Thanks
I don't know about Mumbai but in bangalore Jetta Highline (AT) OTR is 22.5l and the Laura L&K is 23l. So Laura is more expensive.

As far as I know, Dual zone Auto Climate control, Heated Seats, swiveling XENONS during cornering, 12 speakers are the Extras in the laura over the jetta. On the other hand Jetta gets paddles shifters, MDI interface(USB), Airbag deactivation on passengerside, Hill hold control.
goutham_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 11:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. I would probably still buy the L&K over the Highline even if i was in bangalore as it seems to be the overall better package and i also agree with the point that somehow, the all-round quality in the Laura seems to be a notch up from the Jetta.
The Jetta somehow seems a haphazard package to me...not bad by any means,but just not there.
Old 25th January 2012, 11:47   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo
Hmm. I would probably still buy the L&K over the Highline even if i was in bangalore as it seems to be the overall better package and i also agree with the point that somehow, the all-round quality in the Laura seems to be a notch up from the Jetta.
The Jetta somehow seems a haphazard package to me...not bad by any means,but just not there.
Exactly, This is what tipped the scales in favour of the laura when we were car hunting. The Laura along with quality gives you a classy and premium feel which is missing in the jetta.
Old 25th January 2012, 16:20   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid33 View Post
Goutham mentioned it right, thats for a Traffic Information system which does not exist in India. Ze Germans have that and you'll see it on German brands - I got this feature on the Blaupunkt Cassette player for my car 8 years ago. The system in Germany has since been upgraded - refer Autofahrer-Rundfunk-Informationssystem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info.

Even if it were launched in India, some agency would start using it to push ads!! Maruti Suzuki Traffic-beat is all we got
Old 26th January 2012, 16:38   #68
BHPian

Recieved the Team-BHP Sticker Set yesterday. All vehicles in our home now sport T-BHP!

The Laura:
Name:  IMG_0679.JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  130.5 KB

Princess of the Czech: Skoda Laura DSG comes home-img_0703.jpg

Princess of the Czech: Skoda Laura DSG comes home-img_0699.jpg

My Bike, The Avenger 220:
Princess of the Czech: Skoda Laura DSG comes home-img_0705.jpg

The tallboy, Santro:
Princess of the Czech: Skoda Laura DSG comes home-img_0706.jpg

Princess of the Czech: Skoda Laura DSG comes home-img_0708.jpg

Last edited by goutham_r : 26th January 2012 at 16:41.
Old 27th January 2012, 15:03   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know for a fact that a 20 + lakh rupee Jetta highline does NOT have climate control and xenons.
+ No Projectors & Fake Leather seats.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 16:57   #70
BHPian

I don't get it. How can Skoda not provide steering controls and BT option on a 17l car.
Old 27th January 2012, 17:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Shocking. Question remains - Where did that ~20 lakh go ???
The price that the highline retails for, we are almost looking at Superb 1.8tsi territory. Why would i then want to buy a Jetta ????
There is absolutely NO parameter where the Jetta would better the Superb.
VW are lucky that they are managing to sell a decent amount of Jettas at least (Mumbai observation).
For the price they quote, they are offering absolutely zilch.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatiagagan View Post
I don't get it. How can Skoda not provide steering controls and BT option on a 17l car.
Well The laura is a CKD, so a laura with all options will be just as expensive as an a4. It is only cheaper here because its not a complete CKD like the A4. If you see in the European market, The Laura, A4, jetta all cost almost about the same. in India however, Until The laura is completely manufactured here it is difficult to include all accessories. But yea a few necessary quirks like BT, Multi function steering wheel and A USB would sweeten the deal.

Quote:
Shocking. Question remains - Where did that ~20 lakh go ???
The price that the highline retails for, we are almost looking at Superb 1.8tsi territory. Why would i then want to buy a Jetta ????
There is absolutely NO parameter where the Jetta would better the Superb.
VW are lucky that they are managing to sell a decent amount of Jettas at least (Mumbai observation).
For the price they quote, they are offering absolutely zilch.
. But it is faster and handles better than the superb. And its the DSG thats expensive, a Superb TSI DSG is still way more expensive. The only positive thing is that None of the mechanical bits are manufactured or assembled here and everything is done in Europe(either Czech or germany), so chances of a fault or the quality of worksmanship will be better. IMO, it'll take a few more years for the VW cars to get cheaper, slowly as VW will probably setup Engine plants here. Have to wait and see.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:32   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
No climate control either, nor memory for seats and mirrors. Forget the adaptive xenons and 12 speaker music system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goutham_r View Post
Well The laura is a CKD, so a laura with all options will be just as expensive as an a4. It is only cheaper here because its not a complete CKD like the A4. If you see in the European market, The Laura, A4, jetta all cost almost about the same. in India however, Until The laura is completely manufactured here it is difficult to include all accessories. But yea a few necessary quirks like BT, Multi function steering wheel and A USB would sweeten the deal.
I don't completely get what you are saying. But the Laura and the A4 are both CKDs, only the 3.0 A4s are CBUs.

The L&K is pretty much as loaded as the Laura gets, and will hardly be missing a few features compared to the international version. BT can be easily added with the kit and some coding.

Also the TSI Superb is faster than the Jetta and may not handle as well. BTW there is no difference in the CKDs of VW and Skoda. If some Skoda parts are made here then so are VW, that is if they are common parts.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th January 2012 at 18:34.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:37   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I don't completely get what you are saying. But the Laura and the A4 are both CKDs, only the 3.0 A4s are CBUs.
Sorry, yes the TSI is faster than the TDI, I had the TDI superb in my mind when i wrote that.

The laura and A4 are Ckds but the laura unlike the A4 is not a 100% CKD . 50% of the parts are made here and the remaining are imported. This is one way to get excise and tax benefits and therefore keep the ex-showroom price lower.hence the laura is cheaper.

Last edited by goutham_r : 27th January 2012 at 18:45.
Old 27th January 2012, 19:45   #75
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car,the Laura IS a very elegant piece of machinery indeed.
Any plans of customising your car using the VAGCOM?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks