Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 22:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Drive: Renault Pulse 1.5 DCI

Saw a Pulse on road for the first time. It was black in colour and looked quite nice in that colour. A friend who was with me remarked that it looks "so much like Micra". I told him that for all intents and purposes, it is one.
Old 11th February 2012, 01:53   #17
BHPian

How do you decide on giving keyless entry but not choose to include ABS in a premium hatchback? One can't help but wonder how Renault arrives at their decisions for their India operations.

Given that they are virtually non-existent as far as brand awareness goes, they really need to work on gaining some market share. They seemed to be sending the right signals with the Sunny but I don't know where they are going with the Pulse.

Either serve a proper premium offering or try and fit in the value for money category. Being the odd one out certainly isn't going to help.
Old 11th February 2012, 22:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post
How do you decide on giving keyless entry but not choose to include ABS in a premium hatchback? One can't help but wonder how Renault arrives at their decisions for their India operations.

Given that they are virtually non-existent as far as brand awareness goes, they really need to work on gaining some market share. They seemed to be sending the right signals with the Sunny but I don't know where they are going with the Pulse.

Either serve a proper premium offering or try and fit in the value for money category. Being the odd one out certainly isn't going to help.
er...aren't you getting NISSAN sunny and renault mixed up here? unless the dash is a marked improvement, i do not see the sales shooting up for this offering from renault either.
Old 11th February 2012, 23:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
er...aren't you getting NISSAN sunny and renault mixed up here? unless the dash is a marked improvement, i do not see the sales shooting up for this offering from renault either.
Renault and Nissan have a joint working alliance. I would think that this implies a combined strategy for growing their India operations. They may have respective brand positioning i.e Renault for the premium offerings and Nissan to have a VFM appeal but Renault still does not seem to have learnt from their Fluence launch last year.

Last edited by sydras : 11th February 2012 at 23:45.
Old 13th February 2012, 01:54   #20
BHPian

The pulse deffinetly looks good .

However Renault should have focused on more than looks to set the pulse apart from the micra . They could have improvised on the interiors but this would have made the prices go up even more ..

None the less , if i was in the market and had to choose between the two , it would deffinetly be the pulse. Throw in the alloys shown at the auto expo and the pulse transforms into a really good looking hot hatch .
Old 31st March 2012, 18:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Just test drove the high end version of Pulse, the RxZ. The feature that most impressed me was the responsiveness of the diesel. I was a bit apprehensive about it, as I have found that after driving petrol cars, it's not easy to adapt to a diesel immediately. However the Pulse is a different story. It actually behaved like a petrol car, responding to the throttle inputs just like my Santro does.

The braking was adequate, no complaints, though I think for 7.5 L it should have had ABS, at least in the top end version (as compared to this, the driver side airbag is standard across all trims). I didn't test for any sudden braking though, it was more like what would be required on a normal day.

The seating position is good, and the mirrors provide a nice view of the scene behind. While starting and stopping, the diesel mill does send its vibrations through the entire body of the car, so you won't forget what is under the hood. But other than that the NVH levels weren't much noticeable. The AC was good, though not exactly chilling. But then this could be because it's a demo car (not marked though!).

One of my friends on the backseat remarked the ride is quite better at the rear, with less noise and the rear suspension doing its job well. Getting in and out was a breeze too, as the seating is a bit on the higher side.

The boot space looks decent for a city hatch, though a week long outstation trip with five people on board would be a problem. Overall the package looks good. The base version does not have automatic climate control, push button start/stop, keyless entry and a couple other features.

The price, if it were down by a lakh, would have made my mouth water. But now I am deliberating hard on whether I want to spend an amount, almost double my last three cars' prices put together, on this one. There are no exchange bonuses, but the guy has promised he will try and work out the best deal for my Santro. Even then the price falls short of the lease limit set by my company, so I think I shall have to wait another two years before I can go for this one.

Yeah, the MIMP: Kitna deti hai. Upon asking this question, the guy replied "bees se jyada", meaning more than 20kmpl. He clarified this was the highway figure and the city figure would be close to 16. That's quite impressive. If anyone wants a diesel mill with a great engine and quality interiors as a city workhorse as well as a highway runner, this would be one of the ideal choices.

That bonnet shape, I wonder if it makes the Pulse more aerodynamic and helps in the grip as well as the FE departments...

Last edited by honeybee : 31st March 2012 at 18:33. Reason: Updated feedback on brakes, fuel efficiency
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just got quote fro bro's Pulse's second service at 10k. Estimate is 8k coz we are getting semi-synthetic oil; else its 5k.

Last edited by jkdas : 3rd May 2013 at 10:14.
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Just test drove the high end version of Pulse, the RxZ. The feature that most impressed me was the responsiveness of the diesel. I was a bit apprehensive about it, as I have found that after driving petrol cars, it's not easy to adapt to a diesel immediately. However the Pulse is a different story. It actually behaved like a petrol car, responding to the throttle inputs just like my Santro does.

The braking was adequate, no complaints, though I think for 7.5 L it should have had ABS, at least in the top end version (as compared to this, the driver side airbag is standard across all trims). I didn't test for any sudden braking though, it was more like what would be required on a normal day.

The seating position is good, and the mirrors provide a nice view of the scene behind. While starting and stopping, the diesel mill does send its vibrations through the entire body of the car, so you won't forget what is under the hood. But other than that the NVH levels weren't much noticeable. The AC was good, though not exactly chilling. But then this could be because it's a demo car (not marked though!).

One of my friends on the backseat remarked the ride is quite better at the rear, with less noise and the rear suspension doing its job well. Getting in and out was a breeze too, as the seating is a bit on the higher side.

The boot space looks decent for a city hatch, though a week long outstation trip with five people on board would be a problem. Overall the package looks good. The base version does not have automatic climate control, push button start/stop, keyless entry and a couple other features.

The price, if it were down by a lakh, would have made my mouth water. But now I am deliberating hard on whether I want to spend an amount, almost double my last three cars' prices put together, on this one. There are no exchange bonuses, but the guy has promised he will try and work out the best deal for my Santro. Even then the price falls short of the lease limit set by my company, so I think I shall have to wait another two years before I can go for this one.

Yeah, the MIMP: Kitna deti hai. Upon asking this question, the guy replied "bees se jyada", meaning more than 20kmpl. He clarified this was the highway figure and the city figure would be close to 16. That's quite impressive. If anyone wants a diesel mill with a great engine and quality interiors as a city workhorse as well as a highway runner, this would be one of the ideal choices.

That bonnet shape, I wonder if it makes the Pulse more aerodynamic and helps in the grip as well as the FE departments...
That is nice. No ABS is a bummer on the top variant. Does the top variant get passenger side airbags ?

I too agree that city driving is a breeze on the Pulse/Micra. Proven engine. Is always a good buy. Any discounts ?

So why are you not looking at the Micra. Same car but at 50 k lower price point. And as to the FE you could easily look at 18+ in city driving. The dealer networks for both the brands are thin with Renault at a minor advantage because they are increasing it due to the Duster.
Old 3rd May 2013, 21:37   #24
BHPian

Carwale site now shows that the top diesel variants come with ABS. Is it really true. If it is , then the biggest worry of Pulse will be over.

Any updates from any one?
Old 4th May 2013, 16:54   #25

That's at which service? Austin? These guys never gave me a choice for my second service a month back. Just a bill around 5k. What's funny is I had close to 21 per km before the service, it's dropped to 18-19 after service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Just got quote fro bro's Pulse's second service at 10k. Estimate is 8k coz we are getting semi-synthetic oil; else its 5k.
Old 20th November 2013, 00:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Renault India launches special ‘Voyage edition’ of Pulse.

Quote:
Renault India has launched a special ‘Voyage edition’ Pulse.
The changes to the car are mainly on the inside. It gets a touchscreen multimedia system with navigation and Focal speakers.
Renault is also offering two years’ worth of insurance free, a two year extended warranty and road-side assistance for four years with the Voyage edition Pulse.
The special edition gets an unchanged engine line-up, with a choice of petrol and diesel engines on offer.
source: Autocar India

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th November 2013 at 00:40.
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:39   #27
BHPian

Guys, wanted feedback from the owners of the pulse and micra. Is the car worth a buy today considering the sales figures.
My main worry is the service cost and attitude of the service guys.

Renualt is offering a good discount on the Pulse Diesel. Little confused
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys, wanted feedback from the owners of the pulse and micra. Is the car worth a buy today considering the sales figures.
My main worry is the service cost and attitude of the service guys.

Renualt is offering a good discount on the Pulse Diesel. Little confused
Do you have any other options in the list? Or just thinking about these two?
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Do you have any other options in the list? Or just thinking about these two?
Nothing much on the list as I haven't done any detailed comparison. Was planning to replace my dad's Fiesta early next year with a Hatch back and probably pick up a petrol Sedan in a year or so when, I plan to sell my Palio MJD. Just came across this mouth watering discount on pulse

Always had a liking for the k9 engine considering it's low end torque and excellent fuel efficiency. To me, expect for the refinement, this engine is better than the MJD.

As mentioned earlier, I am worried about the service cost, network and the attitude of the service guys. For the first 3 to 4 years, I am sure the car will serve well but, post that how is the company going to support the car is still a big question mark.
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:16   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
As mentioned earlier, I am worried about the service cost, network and the attitude of the service guys. For the first 3 to 4 years, I am sure the car will serve well but, post that how is the company going to support the car is still a big question mark.
Renault seems to be here for the longer run & there sales / service outlets are slowly growing. I don't think it will be a huge risk from a long term ownership point of view.

But what is the OTR price quoted to you after that discount? My advise will be - don't select a car simply because there is a lot of discount. Drive all available options & shortlist the ones that you find most connected with. Then if the discounted car is in that list - sure go for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks