Team-BHP - The Gladiator - My Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2 LX - The Story so far
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   The Gladiator - My Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2 LX - The Story so far (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/119709-gladiator-my-mahindra-scorpio-mhawk-2-2-lx-story-so-far.html)

The inception

We’ll guys the story goes like this, my tireless passion for jeeps specially the army MM550 bought me to TBHP. Most of my weekends were spent glued to TBHP going through various posts on jeep reconditioning. Trying to learn whatever little I could about owning a jeep, as they say you don’t own one you build one. I used to check the classified section each day, hoping that I might just get lucky enough to find a posting for a jeep for sale in Gujarat (wanted one with Gujarat registration)

The passion drew stronger everyday; I even started having dreams about jeeps.

Back home wifey felt that I had gone nuts. I discovered that there is a village named Kanodar near Palanpur (about 140 kms from Ahmedabad) where the locals have carved a niche for jeep reconditioning. Tried desperately to find more details on TBHP, like reliable sources/garages etc. But was disappointed not to get any precise information. One fine Saturday decided to drive down to Kanodar. I could see garages on both sides of the highway. Stopped at one called ‘Navbharat Motors’ inquired regarding my requirement. Explained that I was looking for something similar to the Mahindra THAR. The guy assured me that he could manage one with XDP engine and PS for a price around 3.75 to 4.5 Lacs. I took his leave assuring him of returning soon. But as reality bites when I gave it a hard thought the facts came to light. At work I travel for almost 4 days a week, I am too lazy on weekends to even complete the tasks that I set myself, so in case I invest in a old jeep then managing time between my family and the jeep would get a bit too hard. So the dream of owning an old MM550 had to end there.

Next option was to go for the Mahindra THAR DI and also keep my existing Wagon R, to keep everyone happy. Took a TD the next day but just did not like the feel of the jeep, also realized I needed to spend at least another 1 Lac more on modifications to make it look like the THAR CRDE. Another unsuccessful proposition.

The Culmination

So guys what next, just sell the Wagon R and buy a new SCORPIO, how could I have never thought of this before? Once again my weekends were spent reading ownership reviews, travelogues on SCORPIO. Took about a week and four TD’s to convince myself. Got a real good deal for my 3.5 yrs old Wagon R, so finally my dream SUV had arrived.

Found the SCORPIO to be a perfect fit, it had everything that I was looking for. The front resemblance to a jeep, powerful engine at the helm, urban comforts like PS, AC, good brakes. Excellent ergonomics, Good Overall build quality and fit & finish

Booked the SCORPIO mHAWK 2.2 Lx in rocky beige color, took delivery on 7th March.

The Gladiator - My Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2 LX - The Story so far-snaps01-022-copy.jpg

The Color is a tad different from the earlier one, looks more like army green. It was love at first sight. Have spotted very few of the same shade on the road. Standard features include PS, AC, Power Windows, Automatic fuel lid opener, Adjustable Steering, Central Locking. My SCORP has Apollo MHAWKZ A/T 235/70 R16.105S tyres. Actually the Lx variant made more sense & VFM. I just hate the side claddings and could do without the funny gadgets. Although the ABS should have been optional on the Lx also.

Things that I like:

Every time I am in the drivers seat it feels that I am reliving my passion, there is a sense of accomplishment. The morning drive to office just gets me charged up. There is an inherent aggression that comes to you when looking at the world from the top.

The 2.2 litre, 4-cylinder mHawk diesel engine is what makes the Scorpio the powerhouse that it is. Acceleration is effortless, with a whopping 120 bhp of power at your disposal, out-muscling other cars is no problem.

Good refinement with absolutely no turbo lag.
It’s a dream run on highways. I have completed 2300 kms till date.
Overall superb driveability in both city & highway conditions.

The AC cools like a tornado, fan speed two with AC LO is sufficient in present Ahmedabad temperature of 39 C.

The tiltable steering is a good feature. The grip is solid and makes you feel secure at high speeds.

The SCORPIO scores 10/10 in terms of reliability and low TCO (total cost of ownership) been around for almost 10 yrs now and still going strong.

Present FE: returned 11 Km in the city, 12.5 on the highway with AC.

Things that I wish to changeThe Gladiator - My Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2 LX - The Story so far-scorp01-copy.jpg

The Gladiator - My Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2 LX - The Story so far-snaps01-020-copy.jpg

Overall it has been an awesome ride so far, I am desperately waiting for the weather to simmer down a little, so that I can venture out on my first long drive to Jaisalmer & Jodhpur.
lol:
Will update further post my first service.

Note from TBHP Support : Please do not upload images as ZIP files. Please go through the Announcements section on how to upload pics to the thread. I have uploaded the pics for you this time.

Congrats on your purchase. It is a true value for money. This variant is best as there are not many electronics and hence wilk not give problems. Wish you many happy and safe miles. And what are the mods that you have planned?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADI_77 (Post 2758025)
Booked the SCORPIO mHAWK 2.2 Lx in rocky beige color, took delivery on 7th March.

I love this colour! Unfortunately, I had to settle for the White as it would have taken almost 4 weeks to get this in the SLE. As you rightly said, LX is the most VFM proposition in the Scorpio line up. If they'd also given ABS and rear wash & wipe in it, then it would have been icing on the cake!

Many congratulations and wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!:)

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Things that I wish to change
  • The Gearshift is hard, still getting used to it while shifting from 2nd to 3rd makes noise at times.

Is this only during cold start? Or do you face this even after the engine has warmed up?

Quote:

• The instrument cluster plastic cover vibrates; the vibration varies with the rpm, at times making a mockery of a new vehicle of this stature and price.

This is a common trait. I realized that adding some amount of padding to the gap between the cluster and the dashboard at the top would get rid of this. Still haven't gotten around to doing this, though.

Quote:

• The glove box needs to be shut with a bang.

Interestingly, my 3 year old has mastered the art of closing the glovebox with her legs. :D

Happy motoring :) . The noise in glove box can be avoided if to stick some padding with a two side tape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 2758515)
I love this colour! Unfortunately, I had to settle for the White as it would have taken almost 4 weeks to get this in the SLE. As you rightly said, LX is the most VFM proposition in the Scorpio line up. If they'd also given ABS and rear wash & wipe in it, then it would have been icing on the cake!

Many congratulations and wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!:)

Cheers,
Vikram

Hi! Thanks Vikram.
I had decided on black color, but the waiting period was 2 months. In the meanwhile this color was available, just got hooked to it the moment I saw it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 2758520)
[/list]Is this only during cold start? Or do you face this even after the engine has warmed up? [/list]This is a common trait. I realized that adding some amount of padding to the gap between the cluster and the dashboard at the top would get rid of this. Still haven't gotten around to doing this, though. [/list]Interestingly, my 3 year old has mastered the art of closing the glovebox with her legs. :D

The gear makes a noise at times when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, eventhough I have floored the clutch completely. This happens in routine and on a cold start also. Might just soften as I drive on.

Quote:

The passion drew stronger everyday; I even started having dreams about jeeps.

Next option was to go for the Mahindra THAR DI and also keep my existing Wagon R, to keep everyone happy. Took a TD the next day but just did not like the feel of the jeep, also realized I needed to spend at least another 1 Lac more on modifications to make it look like the THAR CRDE. Another unsuccessful proposition.

So guys what next, just sell the Wagon R and buy a new SCORPIO, how could I have never thought of this before? Once again my weekends were spent reading ownership reviews, travelogues on SCORPIO. Took about a week and four TD’s to convince myself. Got a real good deal for my 3.5 yrs old Wagon R, so finally my dream SUV had arrived.

Found the SCORPIO to be a perfect fit, it had everything that I was looking for. The front resemblance to a jeep, powerful engine at the helm, urban comforts like PS, AC, good brakes. Excellent ergonomics, Good Overall build quality and fit & finish

Nice and simple review, Congratulations for your SUV.

We are in the same boat. I also hooked to TBHP with passion towards jeep and was doing same thing for almost 2 yrs , first thought of MM550 then MM540 and then Thar but after attending some OTR with BHPian and friends I thought that open jeep is not for me as I can afford only one vehicle at a time.
And now I am zeroed on some option available in market with in my budget but I am sure that I will need 4x4 as my dream trip is to Leh with family.

One question how did you went with 2WD didn't you thought of going for 4WD as you were looking for MM550? your feedback may convince me to go with 2WD :D

Thanks,
Vishal

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADI_77 (Post 2759013)
The gear makes a noise at times when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, eventhough I have floored the clutch completely. This happens in routine and on a cold start also. Might just soften as I drive on.

I understand what noise you are referring to. Try this :

When shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, dont upshift like you would do on a car ; move the gear lever from 2nd and just before you are able to slot it into 3rd, wait a second, and then slot it in. It will slot without any sound. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thar4x4 (Post 2759053)
Nice and simple review, Congratulations for your SUV.

We are in the same boat. I also hooked to TBHP with passion towards jeep and was doing same thing for almost 2 yrs , first thought of MM550 then MM540 and then Thar but after attending some OTR with BHPian and friends I thought that open jeep is not for me as I can afford only one vehicle at a time.
And now I am zeroed on some option available in market with in my budget but I am sure that I will need 4x4 as my dream trip is to Leh with family.

One question how did you went with 2WD didn't you thought of going for 4WD as you were looking for MM550? your feedback may convince me to go with 2WD :D

Thanks,
Vishal

Hi! Vishal,
Good to know that we share the same passion. I was considering the MM550 over 540 only because of the superior engine, although the 4WD comes as an add on. Never wanted to go off-roading. Decided on SCORPIO since it is easy to drive in routine city traffic and also a secure option for the road trips which i intend to make with my family.

We have guys within the community who have done the Leh trip with a 2WD vehicle also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 2759164)
I understand what noise you are referring to. Try this :

When shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, dont upshift like you would do on a car ; move the gear lever from 2nd and just before you are able to slot it into 3rd, wait a second, and then slot it in. It will slot without any sound. :cool:

Benny I face this issue too, though less now, given that my truck is in 5 figures now. But I gave the ASC mech a real earful since I thought there was something wrong with my clutch as a result of which my gear was not engaging properly :D

The Scorpio is my favorite SUV, especially with the mHawk motor. I am really sad that I had to part with my mHawk.

Height adjustment is not given in any budget SUVs, maybe because you are already seated quite high up!

Congrats and happy motoring!

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj_5004 (Post 2760133)
The Scorpio is my favorite SUV, especially with the mHawk motor. I am really sad that I had to part with my mHawk.

Height adjustment is not given in any budget SUVs, maybe because you are already seated quite high up!

Congrats and happy motoring!

Hey Raj, dont despair.....God willing, you will be driving an SUV again soon someday.

I know how you feel- Once you drive an SUV, nothing compensates for it. I felt the same when i sold of my Safari and moved to SX4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 2760138)
Hey Raj, dont despair.....God willing, you will be driving an SUV again soon someday.

I know how you feel- Once you drive an SUV, nothing compensates for it. I felt the same when i sold of my Safari and moved to SX4.

+1000.

I have already made a promise to myself that my next car (replacement to Punto) will be an SUV!

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj_5004 (Post 2760144)
+1000.

I have already made a promise to myself that my next car (replacement to Punto) will be an SUV!

Hi! by the time you decide to change, you will have some more new choices, Nissan Duster, Ford Ecosport and others.

Congratulations Adi. Love this colour on the Scorp. Wish you miles of happiness.

Few questions :

1. Did you opt for the extended warranty?
2. Any specific reason you chose the Hawkz A/T over the Yoko's? How do you find these on the highways and bad stretches?
3. May be the reclining option is not there on a Seven seater? Guys who own the SLE variant with a 7 Seater can confirm this.

Please do post more pics. We can never get tired looking at this beast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADI_77 (Post 2759198)
We have guys within the community who have done the Leh trip with a 2WD vehicle also.

I can vouch for that.