Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 02:57   #1
BHPian

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline

Hey everyone, this is my second review on T-BHP - and hopefully you guys will like it - my previous review of my Dark Knight can be found here. Again a disclaimer, that I express my opinions very freely, this is my review so all views and opinions express are mine and they are not meant to offend anyone. Also, the name of the car is something which suits it's personality - anyone else who likes it is free to use it. Enjoy!

PS: Feedback is most welcome!

- All the alternatives that were considered, and why you zeroed in on this particular car

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-skodarapidfrontfascia.jpg
  • Skoda Rapid
    • Looks decent (As good as a Vento, but not better IMO) almost identical from the inside, mixed reports about performance on road some say better than Vento, some say a notch lower - so it all comes to personal preference I believe. Slightly cheaper than the Vento. Went to TD and see the vehicle as I had not seen it on road as of yet, walk into Fahrenheit Skoda - experience was below expectations, fat grumpy salesmen, least interested "sir gaadi dekh lo samne khadi hai". Being a BM and MB owner - I'm userd to top notch service and will not compromise that at any cost. Din't even care to look at the car, the salesperson had helped me strike the car off my list - Well done Skoda! You live upto your reputation of pathetic dealership experience, can only imagine how bad A$$ will be.
The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-newhyundaivernafluidic.jpg
  • Hyundai Verna
    • Went to MGF Hyundai, no Verna on display, TD car gone or repairs - he did show me one Verna waiting for delivery. I have driven the car before (friend's) and was not impressed by the handling and the suspension at all! Seeing the car closely in person, I only liked the rear - inside the deas and center console felt oh so overdone, the choice of wood panels did not feel elegant at at - Hyundai have gone for quantity in terms of features, certainly not quality. Verna owners you are free to disagree with me, but this is my opinion. Add to that 4-5 months of waiting for diesel, added cost v/s a Rapid/Vento and being too common on the road which also means jam packed A$$.
Another car off the list - Hyundai please chose quality over quantity, it's not all about making your feature list multiple pages long - it's about how many of them actually count.
The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-fordfiesta2012.jpg
  • Ford Fiesta
    • Never experienced Ford, heard both good and bad stuff - never driven a Ford before, but I do like how the new Fiesta looks. Went to Harpreet Ford - decent salesperson, well informed - lacked enthusiam, but that was fine - immediately offered me a TD in AT Petrol - as Diesel MT I refused, since I had not driven a MT for almost 6 months, did not want to risk it on a demo car. Liked the drive, lacks power and the punch - but otherwise comfortable, very good handling and suspension. Interiors are very subjective - I liked them - but then as a third car in the house, interiors don't really match up to the elegance of other two cars in the garage, they are too sporty. But full points to Ford, very nice car. Fiesta remained a contender, till I TD'd the Vento - more on that later.
The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-mahindrathar1.jpg
  • Mahindra Thar
    • This was the first choice, had high hope on refresh model - but that disappointed - no HT. Plus an unjustified hike in the price. Not suited for the 70kms daily run I need to do. Struggle to get mods done. Interiors from the last century. Damn, Thar was off the list - was requesting for TDs for 6 months! Still din't get it. But, no worries sometime someday in the future I will be a jeeper - I have promised by self!
The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-volkswagenventoimages.jpg
  • Volkswagen Vento
    • Had TD'd a Vento back in 2010 when it was still very new in the market, was mighty please with the dealership experience and the car back then, but then dropped the idea of a smaller sedan - so no deal. Fast forward to 2012, here I'm again at Volkswagen Delhi West - nice big, bright and well laid out showroom - sharing walls with Fahrenheit Skoda - from where I have just walked out after a lousy experience with one fat lethargic salesperson! More on the dealer in next section. First time did not TD the car due to MT handicap and lack of availability of AT TD vehicle - just saw the car, understood the features, pricing, delivery time, colors etc. Very good salesperson - very well informed - did not diss competition or write them off - accepted they are good, but then proved how VW is better. Came back after 10 days after practicing driving MT - TD'd the TDi - boy oh boy - what a drive - much more peppy than the Fiesta, much more grounded and sturdier than the Verna - of course no ORT fun like the Thar . I had already fallen for the elegant looks inside and outside both - and the drive sealed the deal, of course the experience at the dealer was the one which really helped me seal the deal.
Volkswagen Vento TDi IT WAS!!!

Last edited by madnish30 : 19th June 2012 at 19:28.
madnish30 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 19:10   #2
BHPian

Re: The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline

- Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership

The dealer chosen was VW Delhi West, as the reckee experience with them and the said SA was good. Booking was done sometime in 3rd week of May and car was readily available, but we wanted to take delivery by end of the Month, dealer had no issues as long as delivery was taken before June.

Everything was explicitly told, freebies given, paperwork done very transparently - original color choice was black, but that was a January model - they told me so, so changed to Silver which was an April one. Each add-on was explained and if I declined, they did not force it on me, like I declined free 3M anti-rust coating etc - they did not force it on me.

Delivery day was fixed as May 29, evening - the sales manager handling my booking was very pro-active throughout with payment and paperwork, also co-ordinated all the accessories that were needed. Even, kept record of all the requests such as no ribbons, number plate and no plastics on seats.

Everything was ready on the delivery day, paperwork, delivery managers, the CAR (hereafter referred to as Silver Surfer) - it had all the accessories I had asked for, no plastic on seats, no ribbons or dealer stickers, number plate as I wanted.

Overall dealer experience was awesome! Kudos to marketing skills of our sales manager Kuljeet.

Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership Rating: 10/10

- On-road price, discounts etc.

Sorry, but will not like to talk much on this.

Freebies:
  • Mud Flaps
  • Divinity
  • Perfume
  • Key Chains
  • Car Mats
  • Number Plate
  • Door Sil Plates
  • Insurance
  • Photo and the Photo Frame
Let's not discuss this any further.

- Engine type & variant

Volkwagen Vento TDi 1.6 Litre engine, manual transmission, Reflex Silver color.

- The good and / or bad about its equipment levels

The Good (Likes):
  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Braking
  • Looks
  • Interiors
  • Ergonomics
  • Stalks on the steering mount
  • Door panels
  • 3 step door shutting and opening
  • Front seats
  • Lighting controls
  • MID
  • One touch windows down and up feature
  • Flip key
  • Front Center armrest
  • Cup holders
  • Bottle holders
  • Glove box
  • Safety features like no locking from inside
  • Leatherette
  • Boot space
  • Ground clearance
  • 12 speeds on the wipers
  • One touch 3 second indicators
  • Fuel Efficiency
The Bad (Dislikes):
  • Engine clutter/Noise
  • Clutch
  • AC Vents
  • MID backlight
  • Headlamps
  • Antenna
  • Single reverse lamp
  • Rear transmission tunnel hump
  • No electronically foldable ORVM
  • Beige carpet
  • No rear windshield curtain
  • Too many grooves on bumpers and doors where mud and dust gets stuck!
- How many kms you have completed at the time of writing your review

3100 KMs in 40 days. 1800 in city, 1300 on highway (hills+expressways) as of 7/16/2012

- Your usage pattern

60 KMs on weekdays, 20-30 KMs on weekends, 350 KMs/week or 1400 KMs/month. Mostly in city, exceptions being drive to airport/NCR.

- Exterior styling & design

WOW. Best in this segment, I know this is very subjective - but being a fan of German design and styling (Audi being active exception) Vento meets my expectations and standards. It is a great design, derived from Polo, but clearly has looks which differentiate it from the same - unlike many Sedans which have an added boot, VW actually integrated the boot to give it the looks to kill for!

Rapid is a close cousin, identical from the back, but the front for me was a no go - the grill is not elegant enough for my taste, the rear is great and simplistic, sometimes too simple for Indian tastes, no wonder Verna gets everyone drooling and is selling much more than the Vento - but since I prefer Merc and BM, Vento appeals to me much more than say a Verna or a Fiesta, the designs are good - but not posh enough, they are a bit too dynamic and loud for me, guess I'm the minority who likes the Vento's design over the Verna's.

The side profile too is very neat and clean, not too many lines or grooves - less is more on the Vento, and that is evident.

VW however could have done better with the front lamps, perhaps projectors - also a spoiler would not hurt, that exhaust pipe and the tall antenna both are eyesores, no doubt!

Exterior styling & design rating: 8/10

- Overall build quality and fit & finish

For the price and in the segment, I have to say it is the best one can get - of course it's not a Rolls Royce with hand crafted interiors and diamond cut exteriors, but it's great for the money. Everything fits bang in place, no gaping holes or rough edges. Smoth finishes - classy looks, not too over the top like the Fiesta (for me) or too cheesy (for me) interiors like the Verna. Perfect blend of the classy and the modern - though lacks some amount of gadgetry.

Solid as rock is the word for the fit and finish - perfect to the last inch.

Overall build quality and fit & finish
rating: 9/10

- Interior design & quality

A Sea of beige - but a pleasant one, difficult to maintain - already evident, but worth the effort - gives the roomy and posh feeling. The dashboard is a very elegant and ergonomic design, did not like the dashboards of the Fiesta and the Verna in particular - found both of them to be too garish for my liking, one with wood panels and one with faux chrome.

The steering is awesome to hold, the center console is very ergonomic - the gear stick as well as hand brake feel perfectly built. The stalks are also quality and sturdy. The AC vents are a big let down! At the back besides the center hump nothing to complain about - maybe one can crib about omission of knock down fold-able seats, but that's fine - the boot is huuuuuge. The faux leather aka leatherette feels great, feel no need to get seat covers, never been a fan of the same - don't recall the last car I had them on - besides once you remove the seats and the sofa - can never be fitted back as factory fit, so vary about the same.

Interior design & quality rating: 8/10

- Interior space and comfort

Plenty of space - don't know about the other cars in this segment - maybe the are more spacious - certainly felt more spacious than the Fiesta - maybe because of the grey interiors in it which make it feel smaller and cramped.

Not comfortable for the 5 th passenger (which hardly matters to me!) but the other 4 will smile because of the comfortable seats. Though I wish VW would have given height adjustable co-pax seat in the front as well as better headrests at the back, not a fan of those - might just remove them, will even improve my rear view.

Interior space and comfort
rating: 8.5/10

- Air conditioner, seat support, ergonomics and other noteworthy interior points

Air conditioner is great, chills fast also has the auto fan adjust which I like, once you increase or decrease temperature even when not on Auto mode - the fan makes slight adjustments. The defoggers also work great, tested both front and rear. Really like the feature of A/C starting up at an interval of ignition and not immediately. Also, the controls are super simple and noob friendly.

Seat support is great on the front and back both. I would have wanted height adjustment on co-pax seat as well. The arm rest at the back is an inch or so too high, but comfortable. The one in the front is perfect, but it does get jammed at times when moving it up and down.

Ergonomics are perfect, wish the ORVM were electronically foldable - serious omission, also wish the AC vents were better. Otherwise the holders, handles, buttons and switches are all perfect.

Would have wanted a little more sporty or dynamic instrument cluster - this is too plane jane for my liking, I think the Verna has a better one.

Air conditioner, seat support, ergonomics and other noteworthy interior points
rating: 8/10

- Engine performance & driveability in the city

Decent in the city, very comfortable - besides the clutch which is on the harder side - but that could also be because this is my first MT. First gear is a little bouncy, sometimes braking and revving in traffic jams can be a little painful as clutch is hard as well as first gear pickup is bouncy, not smooth like petrols. Otherwise handles the bad roads very well, very smooth on the turns and round abouts, great turning radius. Handles city heat very well!

Engine performance & driveability in the city Rating: 7.5/10

- Engine performance & driveability on the highway

WOW! That is the word for it - I have taken a 1300 KM trip in the Silver Surfer in the Himalayas over 5 days, the driving part was awesome! Handled very pad roads as well as untarred steep climbs very well! No fusses with long continuous runs! Best part was the torque-y runs on NH21 with constant speeds of 100-120 KMPH and the 5th gear it was a breeze, the overtakes were smooth and the car gave the necessary power when needed. FE too was a surprise and awesome, more on that later.

Engine performance & driveability on the highway
rating: 10/10

- Additional comments on the engine (outright power, refinement, turbo-lag etc.)

One awesome power horse 250 horses of power refined near perfection, next to no turbo lag - great response beyond 2nd gear. A little noisy for my liking, but the music compensates for that!

- Overall opinion on the engine

One mean value for money efficient well tuned power horse! Well done VW! Segment leader no doubt (even though some may argue Rapid is better, I don't buy that!).

Overall opinion on the engine
rating: 9/10

- Gearshift / transmission quality, smoothness, response time etc.
Take this with a pinch of salt, I'm a first time MT car owner - only driven AT before this. But, firstly the clutch feels too hard, compared to MT cars I have briefly driven off and on or the ones I learnt on.

First gear is bouncy in start stop traffic, not as smooth as one would like, maybe I'm doing it wrong - do let me know what's the correct way to do it. Post the second gear, transmission is a breeze.

I do feel the gear ratio is a little narrow between 4th and 5th - it asks for 5th too soon. Also the gear suggestions on the MDI are completely for the non-spirited driver, only for super efficient and powerless driving.

Response time is amazing, no turbo lag, the moment you depress and the moment the car takes off is next to nothing. Upshifts are smooth, downshifts from 2 to 1 can be a little jerky, but again maybe it's me.

Gearshift / transmission quality, smoothness, response time etc. rating: 8/10

- Fuel efficiency : City and Highway
  • City - 12.5 to 13.5 KMPL - a little on the lower side compared to other Ventos on TBHP - but been driving around in lots of traffic as well as my shifts might not be perfect. Even dips to 9-10KMPL is only traffic filled stretches. Asked the SA he said need not worry till 5-6,000 KM average improves only after that.
  • Highway - WOW! On my journey of 1300 KMS it gave 24 KMPL which included 50% hill driving! With 3 pax and luggage as well as bad roads and occasional jams in the hills. The MDI even showed 27-28 during straight constant runs on NH21. Car journey worked out even cheaper than state run rickety bus journey would have been!
Fuel efficiency : City and Highway Rating: 8.5/10

- Suspension & ride quality

Suspension again is a in segment leader, lightyears ahead of the one on the Verna which feels like you are sitting in a boat in high seas when driving at high speeds. Suspension is rock solid, takes craters and well as breakers very well! A little bouncy when you hit uneven patch at high speeds - but I think that is to do with my tyre preasure as well - which is 33 PSI I think on all 4. Ride quality is solid and grounded, just as I'm used to on my other cars!

Suspension & ride quality rating: 9/10

- Handling, on-road behaviour
, steering, braking, high speed stability and grip levels Great handling, very good turning radius - responds to slightest movement on the steering. Very grounded and sturdy on the road with great grip of the road even at very high speeds - won't mention at what speeds I have driven it at sometimes. But does very well at triple digit speeds as well. Sticks to the ground.

Braking is a little too tight responds too much to slightest of presses, but that is good in a way!

Handling, on-road behaviour, steering, braking and grip levels rating: 9/10

- Review on overall practicality

Very practical - value for money, safety is top notch, spacious, comfortable, powerful and efficient!

Review on overall practicality rating: 9/10

- Any niggles, problems or part replacements faced

Horn has been giving weird sounds off and on - not been able to find a solution or a cause - SC guys say they can only look at it if its constant or first service.

- Quality of after-sales service (if experienced)

Very good! Booked a general checkup before the trip - reached on time - was attended and assured nothing needs to be checked, horn issue can not be resolved unless it's constant and happens in front of them. Very good SA.

Quality of after-sales service rating: 10/10

- Cost of upkeep & maintenance

Takes around fuel worth 2100 every 600 KMs, maintenance aka service not known yet.

Cost of upkeep & maintenance rating: 9/10

- Accessories/Modifications added or planned
Added
  • Rear Windshield Curtain
  • Stick On Blinds on rear windows
  • Ambi Pur
  • Plastic mats
  • Stubby 8 inch Antenna
  • VW Tyre Valves
  • GTI Emblem on the front grill
Planned
  • HID Projectors
  • Better speakers
  • My Shaldan
  • Window Tints (if and when allowed)
  • Spoiler
  • Tuning box (when a good and tested one is out! Post warranty of course)
Overall Rating
  • Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership Rating: 10/10
  • Exterior styling & design rating: 8/10
  • Overall build quality and fit & finish rating: 9/10
  • Interior design & quality rating: 8/10
  • Interior space and comfort rating: 8.5/10
  • Air conditioner, seat support, ergonomics and other noteworthy interior points rating: 8/10
  • Engine performance & driveability in the city Rating: 7.5/10
  • Engine performance & driveability on the highway rating: 10/10
  • Overall opinion on the engine rating: 9/10
  • Gearshift / transmission quality, smoothness, response time etc. rating: 8/10
  • Fuel efficiency : City and Highway Rating: 8.5/10
  • Suspension & ride quality rating: 9/10
  • Handling, on-road behaviour, steering, braking and grip levels rating: 9/10
  • Review on overall practicality rating: 9/10
  • Quality of after-sales service rating: 10/10
  • Cost of upkeep & maintenance rating: 9/10
OVERALL AVERAGING THE ABOVE:
  • 131.5/160 Score
  • 8.2/10 Rating
  • 4/5 Stars
Anyone looking for a upgrade from a Seadan or a 2nd/3rd car along with saloons/SUVs - this is the car, unless you are really a Skoda fan, stay away from the Rapid thanks to the A.$$ Stories. The Verna is for someone who will purely buy it for the looks and gadgetry - for me Verna is garish and not a highway star! Fiesta is not worth experimenting with and is underpowered. Rapid is a serious contender saves some money too, but I find this classier and VW does not have any A$$ horror stories, yet!

Thanks you for reading! Following are a few pictures, back then the car had only clocked 500 KMS. Let me know if you want any other pictures or have any questions.

Feedback is more than welcome!

Again, a disclaimer the views above are purely mine, not meant to hurt anyone - I'm no car expert - but I do write what I feel.

Last edited by madnish30 : 16th July 2012 at 23:39.
madnish30 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 01:19   #3
BHPian

Pictures (interiors):

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012060800062.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012060800063.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012060800064.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012060800065.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012060800066.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012060800067.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012060800068.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012060800069.jpg

Name:  IMG2012061300074.jpg
Views: 5142
Size:  399.8 KB

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012061300075.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012061300076.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012061300077.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012061300078.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012061300079.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-img2012061300080.jpg

Pictures (exteriors):

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-vent-1.jpg

The Silver Surfer: Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline-vent-2.jpg

madnish30 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 13:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Mod : Thread moved to Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice and a well balanced review. Like the comparions of the Vento to the Verna. Very true indeed.

Wishing you great ownership and looking forward to your updates on this thread.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th July 2012 at 13:42.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Pretty awesome and technical review! Nice to see someone owning Mercs & Beemers giving his thoughts on the "humble" Vento Gives the word "perspective" a meaning.

Enjoy your silver surfer. That 24Kmpl 1300KM drive sounds swell. You could put up a travelogue as well if time permits.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your silver surfer. Wish you many more happy miles with it, did you consider the engine noise to be on higher side compared to Rapid as per team bhp review? I found it to be on par.

I have also booked a T beige Vento TDI highline from VW Delhi West and my experience has been the same so far. I was there to book Rapid as i liked that car but the sales attitude was pathetic - i visited them from 30 kms after confirming for a TD and they didnt had a demo car. He was also not interested in explaining me the car - dad was pissed off and Rapid ticked off

My car is here, would get the delivery by this week. Already so excited, the VW Delhi west has offered fantastic experience so far and hope it continues.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:04   #8
BHPian

Nice to read a comprehensive report. Didn't quite understand Thar as a short list candidate.

Wish you a trouble free ownership
Old 17th July 2012, 16:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for your Silver Surfer. Wish you happy and trouble free journey with your surfer.
I certainly could not understand the inclusion of THAR amongst the sedans. One noticeable sedan missing from your list was the Linea. I think Linea also has the same basic features like the Vento. Extremely good handling at top speed, ride quality and brilliant steering feedback.
Old 17th July 2012, 18:23   #10
BHPian

Many congrats on your Silver Surfer. Very well written concise review and glad to see you are continuing your love story with the Germans. As you have rightly pointed out, it is a beast on the highways smoking out cars from a segment above even. Wishing you many happy miles and a very satisfying ownership.
Old 17th July 2012, 18:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very well written review!

Congratulations for your new VW Vento. It's a perfect C segment diesel car with correct pricing + good looks + handling + snob value etc.

I am too surprised to see Mahindra Thar in the list where all other contenders were sedans.

Anyhow, Wishing you happy and safe driving!

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th July 2012 at 18:27.
Old 17th July 2012, 20:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Nice and a well balanced review. Like the comparions of the Vento to the Verna. Very true indeed.

Wishing you great ownership and looking forward to your updates on this thread.

Cheers!
In my mind those were the only two REAL contenders - so they deserve a fair comparison! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Pretty awesome and technical review! Nice to see someone owning Mercs & Beemers giving his thoughts on the "humble" Vento Gives the word "perspective" a meaning.

Enjoy your silver surfer. That 24Kmpl 1300KM drive sounds swell. You could put up a travelogue as well if time permits.
I will be adding details about the trip in this thread only! Mercs and Bimers are good in their own place, but Silver Surfer can give them a run for the money considering it is 1/3rd and 1/10th the price of them respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Congrats on your silver surfer. Wish you many more happy miles with it, did you consider the engine noise to be on higher side compared to Rapid as per team bhp review? I found it to be on par.

I have also booked a T beige Vento TDI highline from VW Delhi West and my experience has been the same so far. I was there to book Rapid as i liked that car but the sales attitude was pathetic - i visited them from 30 kms after confirming for a TD and they didnt had a demo car. He was also not interested in explaining me the car - dad was pissed off and Rapid ticked off

My car is here, would get the delivery by this week. Already so excited, the VW Delhi west has offered fantastic experience so far and hope it continues.
Do go meet Kuljeet at VW Delhi West! He is one of the best Sales guy I have interacted with, right at par with guys who sell Mercs and Bimers!

The Farenheit Skoda right next to this VW one has such lousy salesmen can't tell you! From presentation to the way they talk, they just don't want to do anything but sit sweet on their fat backsides!

I have driven friend's rapid - when you rev heavy vento is nosier but while cruising I found rapid nosier!

Before delivery DO MAKE sure to check your VIN and manufacturing date, they shouldn't be selling you old stock at the price of new. Otherwise, you are in for some awesome experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Congrats for your Silver Surfer. Wish you happy and trouble free journey with your surfer.
I certainly could not understand the inclusion of THAR amongst the sedans. One noticeable sedan missing from your list was the Linea. I think Linea also has the same basic features like the Vento. Extremely good handling at top speed, ride quality and brilliant steering feedback.
With Fiat flip flopping in India and inconsistent service standards - don't want to even consider Fiat, plus not a fan of it's looks.

If you see my initial few posts on BHP they all are in the ORT and Jeeps sections - owning a Jeep is a different ball game together, I know Jeeps are not highway stars or anything close to Vento, but always craved for one - that's why considered it for a moment, but the usage pattern did not allow me to get one. Maybe I will upgrade to Wrangler hopefully it will be in India by the time Silver Surfer completes it's life cycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Many congrats on your Silver Surfer. Very well written concise review and glad to see you are continuing your love story with the Germans. As you have rightly pointed out, it is a beast on the highways smoking out cars from a segment above even. Wishing you many happy miles and a very satisfying ownership.
Germans are a different league all together - luckily ow I have all cars with indicator stalks on left makes my life lot easier!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Very well written review!

Congratulations for your new VW Vento. It's a perfect C segment diesel car with correct pricing + good looks + handling + snob value etc.

I am too surprised to see Mahindra Thar in the list where all other contenders were sedans.

Anyhow, Wishing you happy and safe driving!

Thank you! Bingo, it's very practical and value for money!

If you see my initial few posts on BHP they all are in the ORT and Jeeps sections - owning a Jeep is a different ball game together, I know Jeeps are not highway stars or anything close to Vento, but always craved for one - that's why considered it for a moment, but the usage pattern did not allow me to get one. Maybe I will upgrade to Wrangler hopefully it will be in India by the time Silver Surfer completes it's life cycle!
Old 17th July 2012, 23:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

That is one heck of a review. Much more elaborate than you put up for the C.

I too like the timeless design of the Polo/Vento. Hope it serves you well for years to come. Clicked more pictures? Please do share.

Thanks for sharing, rating it a well deserved 5*

Old 17th July 2012, 23:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Do go meet Kuljeet at VW Delhi West! He is one of the best Sales guy I have interacted with, right at par with guys who sell Mercs and Bimers!
Before delivery DO MAKE sure to check your VIN and manufacturing date, they shouldn't be selling you old stock at the price of new. Otherwise, you are in for some awesome experience!
Will definitely go and meet him and will give your reference,your name is Manish right?
As a surprise am getting the car tomorrow , they arranged for the car as i was updated regularly and i checked the VIN - its May, 2012 stock so i should be ok considering T beige isnt a fast moving color.
Old 18th July 2012, 00:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That is one heck of a review. Much more elaborate than you put up for the C.

I too like the timeless design of the Polo/Vento. Hope it serves you well for years to come. Clicked more pictures? Please do share.

Thanks for sharing, rating it a well deserved 5*

Thank you sir! Din't click any but will surely do post stubby and valves and will share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Will definitely go and meet him and will give your reference,your name is Manish right?
As a surprise am getting the car tomorrow , they arranged for the car as i was updated regularly and i checked the VIN - its May, 2012 stock so i should be ok considering T beige isnt a fast moving color.
It is not, I will PM my name, but don't share it in public May 2012 should be perfect, very rare yet elegant color you have chosen! Don't forget mud flaps and door sills, with monsoons those are musts! Don't drive out without protection to the beige carpet - or let the plastic be on till you find the mats you are looking for - if you are the Kagu mats type. Can you PM or share the price they are giving it at - just work educational purposes, if you don't mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks