Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 15:24   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
There are few more updates, will share it by tomorrow with more snaps.
Few updates on Linea.
1) Added AUX cable (complete DIY)
2) Installed floor mat
3) Replaced the OE antenna with a shorter one (no idea from which car, it was lying unused with my mechanic, cut a little rubber at the bottom and fixed it)
4) Removed all stickers (Type-R in fenders, Linea Sport in windshield, Sports edition in number plates, black dots in headlamp)

Planning to do under body coating (Wurth) may be by tomorrow or the day after.
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-dscn3388.jpg  

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-dscn3392.jpg  

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-dscn3389.jpg  

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-dscn3390.jpg  

Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 17:45   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

To protect the car from this monsoon, looking to get the underbody coated.
Please suggest which is better, 3M / Wurth?
Old 18th July 2012, 18:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice updates,
you need a steering cover badly
Since yours is emotion,without an airbag,so removing the wheel will not be a problem.Also please check whether the car has got Clutch Slave Cylinder replacement,and also get the timing chain upgraded to 2012 version,since i have had a good rapport with aftersales,i was able to pull it off under the recall inspite of being the second owner,so push for a free upgrade.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 18:10   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nice updates,
you need a steering cover badly
Since yours is emotion,without an airbag,so removing the wheel will not be a problem.Also please check whether the car has got Clutch Slave Cylinder replacement,and also get the timing chain upgraded to 2012 version,since i have had a good rapport with aftersales,i was able to pull it off under the recall inspite of being the second owner,so push for a free upgrade.
Thank you very much for the information dude. Let me check with FASS.
Ofcourse Yes, looking for a steering wheel cover. Tried all types of covers, but nothing suites well. Any suggestions?
Old 18th July 2012, 18:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for the information dude. Let me check with FASS.
Ofcourse Yes, looking for a steering wheel cover. Tried all types of covers, but nothing suites well. Any suggestions?
Steering cover of mine was had worn out at 2-3 places,and stuck out like a sore thumb.None of the after market steering covers will fit the linea due to its contours,wont look good,i got it stitched,just like OEM,and paid 2.8K for it including gear knob.you may need to find a good place like stanley or something to get it done.
Here are the before and after pics.
PS:Last pic is how it looked prior to the change,missing is the hornpad with airbag.
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-new1.jpg  

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-new2.jpg  

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-new3.jpg  

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-new4.jpg  

Last edited by akshay4587 : 18th July 2012 at 18:34.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 18:46   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
i got it stitched,just like OEM,and paid 2.8K for it including gear knob.you may need to find a good place like stanley or something to get it done.
Looks as good as the OE one. Finish is excellent. Let me look out for Stanley.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:16   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update:
Completed 55k km last weekend during my trip to Coimbatore.
Got 18.5kmpl average 70% highway + 30% city driving (100% AC)
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_4871.jpg  

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_4872.jpg  

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_4873.jpg  

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_4874.jpg  

Old 12th October 2013, 23:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Friends,

MJD is about to touch 60k km (just 400 km to reach the target)
Would like to have your inputs regarding 60k service.

Here goes the service list,
1) Fluid & filter change
2) Timing chain replacement - as per Fiat guidelines timing kit to be replaced at 60k km, but is it really necessary? I could feel the engine noise is getting worse these days, may be this could be the reason?
3) AC Top up
4) Suspension noise - Front LH suspension noise came back No time to diagnose, so completely dependent on the mechanic.
5) EGR cleaning - There is a little drop in acceleration, read in other forum that EGR cleaning gave some improvement. Need suggestion
6) Noise from AC compressor (I suppose) when I switch on the AC

Wheel rotation, alignment and balancing was done a month back, checked the condition of brake pads, disc and shoes 2k km back and found there is atleast 50% life left with them. So skipping these items for this service.

Now comes the big dilemma should I get it done from FASS or a outside garage.
Reason being lack of time to take the car to FASS (no FASS is near my location, I stay at Urapakkam) and bit worried about the high labour charges. Also read a lot of negatives comments (ofcourse few positive feedback too) of RDC & Ramkay, looking for a reliable garage.

My current and reliable mechanic from an authorised Bosch car service is ready to take up this task and I'm quite happy with his job for past 2 years. Even I recommend him to many of my friends and everybody is satisfied and became regular customer to him. Ofcourse I get a good discount and deal in terms of labour (atleast 50% less than FASS) Also he will pick up the car and drop it back once the work is done (no service booking, no follow ups required)
But the problem being, he didn't have experience in EGR cleaning. and he could not find out the issue with suspension noise.

Any inputs regarding reliable FIAT mechanic in Chennai (around Tambaram)
Old 20th October 2013, 11:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

First breakdown @ 60k km Alternator failure - Help required

On the way back from Karaikal to Trichy last night near Chengipatti (around 20km after Tanjore), got the battery warning in cluster. Suspected either battery or alternator should be the issue. Pulled the car to the side, opened the bonnet and I could hear the engine noise is more than usual and the idle rpm is 1100rpm which again is unusual. It was around 9pm and we were 4 (myself, my wify, mom and dad) Called Fiat RSA, but I could not get the line (bad luck)
Found a police patrol car approaching on the opposite lane. Crossed the road, stopped them and asked them for any mechanic / garage nearby. They gave the landline number of SSB Motors (Tanjore) but the call is unanswered.

Policemen advised if I could drive 2km more, there is a fuel station at Chengipatti and they may help with mechanic contact. I drove 3 km to reach the fuel station. Got ABS & EBD failure warning, also I could notice the headlamp started dimming, horns were not audible, AC turned off, couldn't roll down the windows, stopped the car there without killing the engine. I confirmed it's not the issue with battery and alternator should be the cause. in few minutes the engine went off.

Fuel station guys had no contact details of mechanics. One of their customer working in Chevrolet dealership came there to fill petrol and he gave the contact details of SSB motors MD and I got assistance from SSB to get the car towed to their service center. It was around 11:30pm and we got the alternate car through one of our relative and reached home by 1:00 am.

This morning got call from SSB that the alternator & battery gone kaput and needs replacement. Since it is sunday mechanic is unaware of the stock availability and cost. But he informed is the part is not available, they should place the order and it may take upto 10days to get the part.

Now I need your valuable suggestion.
1) Not sure about the amount the amount of damage to alternator, but is there a possibility to get it repaired? If so, can you please support with contact details of mechanic in Tanjore / Trichy?
2) If the above is not possbile, what should be cost of new alternator?
Old 20th October 2013, 12:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Alternator AND battery? I strongly feel that it should just be either of the two.

Don't trust the word for granted go and make sure that both have failed for a fact.
Check alternator current and battery.
Old 20th October 2013, 12:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Alternator AND battery? I strongly feel that it should just be either of the two.

Don't trust the word for granted go and make sure that both have failed for a fact.
A similar thing happened with my Palio sometime back. Alternator failed, but I managed to drive 90KMs on battery till I reached my hometown. Battery had fully discharged, this deep discharged killed my battery. I had to get a new one.

Last week the alternator failed again. This time had to drive just 15KMs, battery is still alive.
Old 20th October 2013, 15:05   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

I doubt the same. Will be checking it tomorrow morning.
But there are possibilities that both might have failed, my battery is around 3 years old and for past few months I could feel it takes a bit more time for cranking (not so much, but higher than normal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
deep discharged killed my battery
I'm not an expert here. But many times our home invertor battery used to die (thanks for loooong power cuts) but it used to get life as soon as it gets charged.
Will it kill the car battery for one time deep drain?
Old 20th October 2013, 16:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Help Help Help!!!
I could find bends (clearly noticeable) in 2 of the steel rims, should I repair them or get new set of rims? (will post the snap by this evening)

Guys, anyone from Chennai upgrading from Line stock alloys to aftermarket ones or from steel rims to alloys, please do let me know.
Congratulations !!! on the car. I guess good quality steel rims might cost you about 1000 to 1500 , my younger brother has got the rims of his Santro changed recently which costed him Rs 800 each , since the wheel size of Linea is bigger in comparison with Santro I think the price may be a little higher and hence my guess on the numbers.

I noticed an add posted today on a website where a set of 4 - 15 inch alloys from a 2010 Linea are being sold for 15K. However the location is Goa, if you like them you can have them sent to you via any courier. Please PM me if you need the website details.
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:33   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update:
Visited SSB motors on 21st (Monday) below are the list of complaints reported by SA.

1) Alternator
No output from alternator and the part needs replacement. Quoted 13k INR but no stock available. Once the order is placed it may take upto 2 weeks for the parts to reach.

Decided to try repairing the alternator as I suppose the culprit cannot be the complete alternator, may be the rectifier unit (May be) So removed the alternator and taken to chennai to get it repaired. The part is currently with my trusted mechanic.

2) Battery
2 cells were week and the battery needs replacement as a precaution.

I'm planning for battery upgrade. so asked them to recharge the current battery and I will get it replaced after taking the car back to Chennai

3) Glow Plugs
2 glow plugs lost their life.

Asked them to replace all 4 plugs

4) Rear LH Shock absorber bend
I was shocked after seeing this

Italian Beauty at Home - Pre-LOVED Fiat Linea MJD Emotion EDIT: Now sold!-img_0214.jpg

Last month when I made tyre rotation, wheel alignment I have completely checked the underbody for any damage / hit marks, but there was no such damage in rear shocks. And for last 1 month the car did less than 1000km that too only inside the city and driven only by myself.

On the way to Trichy for this trip, passed a medium size pot hole @ 100 kmph (this is what I could remember and again both front and rear wheels passed the pot hole) Being a suspension engineer, it is a big question to my how come the front struts were intact and rear shocks faced suck a huge bend.

Again the parts were not readily available and ordering takes 2 weeks to get the parts. Asked them not to place the order and I will support with the new parts.

Below were my request for 60k km service
1) Fluid & Filter change
2) Timing chain
3) EGR Cleaning (SA said they have the experience of Linea & Manza EGR cleaning in past, but not sure about the quality if their work)
4) Front suspension noise

Will keep you updated on the progress shortly.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update:
Visited SSB motors on 21st (Monday) below are the list of complaints reported by SA.

1) Alternator
No output from alternator and the part needs replacement. Quoted 13k INR but no stock available. Once the order is placed it may take upto 2 weeks for the parts to reach.

Decided to try repairing the alternator as I suppose the culprit cannot be the complete alternator, may be the rectifier unit (May be) So removed the alternator and taken to chennai to get it repaired. The part is currently with my trusted mechanic.

We also faced the same issue with our Fiat Linea 1.6ELX. Its alternator went bad and Fiat A.S.S. said it will take 2-3 weeks to get it delivered. I then requested service engineer to provide me the complete details of alternator (make, model, part number, specification, etc.). My Fiat's alternator was from Bosch. I googled the net and tried mapping the Fiat's part number with Bosch's and once I was confirmed on the model, then I purchased the Bosch's alternator (costed approx Rs14000) from local market. Once we replaced the alternator, it worked well for us approx 2 years , before we sold out the car.

Before also our alternator broke down and that time we got it repaired (costed approx Rs7000), but it only worked for 6 - 7 months before we went for replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks