Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:28   #766
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Car seems to be running fine after switching to a new Amaron PRO from the earlier SONIC battery.
So, at the time of purchase they gave you the car with the SF SONIC battery. Mine came with SOLITE which is a Korean make. Incidentally, I came across a post in this forum where one member had a real bad experience with SONIC.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-battery.html

Maybe you should add your experience too in that thread, so that more members/people will be aware of potential problems with this battery.
Old 19th July 2016, 11:47   #767
BHPian

I am planning to switch to synthetic oil for my car. I bought my Elantra Diesel AT in Nov 2014 and it has run about 20K and is due for its second service shortly. Need to know few things.

One, which make and grade should I consider for synthetic oil?

Two, will the Hyundai dealer agree to replace mineral oil with synthetic oil?

Three, Is there problem with the current warranty provisions (Elantra comes with 4yr warranty) if I make the switch?

Finally, is there a need to flush the oil tank at the time of the switch? If there is one, I will instruct the dealer to do so.

Hoping for a quick revert.
Old 20th July 2016, 08:15   #768
Senior - BHPian

Suggest you wait out the warranty period before you use anything not recommended by Hyundai.
The last thing you want is a warranty void if anything were to go wrong.
Old 11th August 2016, 07:23   #769
Senior - BHPian

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...16-402736.aspx

2016 Hyundai Elantra to be launched on 23rd, August, 2016.
Old 11th August 2016, 17:07   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
I am planning to switch to synthetic oil for my car. I bought my Elantra Diesel AT in Nov 2014 and it has run about 20K and is due for its second service shortly. Need to know few things.

One, which make and grade should I consider for synthetic oil?

Two, will the Hyundai dealer agree to replace mineral oil with synthetic oil?

Three, Is there problem with the current warranty provisions (Elantra comes with 4yr warranty) if I make the switch?

Finally, is there a need to flush the oil tank at the time of the switch? If there is one, I will instruct the dealer to do so.

Hoping for a quick revert.
http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.i...Petrol-23.aspx

http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.i...Diesel-23.aspx

They do support synthetic oil. Sharing the link on their site and hence should be fine with warranty.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:38   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post

2016 Hyundai Elantra to be launched on 23rd, August, 2016.
I am keen to replace my current fluidic Elantra with the new upcoming model. But I am unable to decide whether to wait for the model to be released, do a test drive and then purchase or straight away book it. What is the pros and cons in either decisions?

Any suggestions?
Old 12th August 2016, 15:37   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I am keen to replace my current fluidic Elantra with the new upcoming model. But I am unable to decide whether to wait for the model to be released, do a test drive and then purchase or straight away book it. What is the pros and cons in either decisions?Any suggestions?
I suggest you wait and take a look/test drive and decide.
Old 24th August 2016, 17:11   #773
BHPian

It is here finally ... pricing seem to be okayish!!!

6th Gen Hyundai Elantra Launched @ Rs. 12.99 Lakhs
Old 5th October 2016, 09:05   #774
Senior - BHPian

Drove the Elantra for a good 200+ km. A mix of express way and switchback roads. In one word, Superb. This was the top of the line diesel manual. I was back seat passenger too for a good bit during this drive.

There are several things that impressed me and some that did not. I am familiar with the 1.6l from the Verna and it is no slouch. In fact, its a missile once you get past turbo lag. In the Elantra, this engine works well provided you don't compare it to the 2l club from the same segment. I did not find it gasping for breath in acceleration or when settled down at speed. Turbo lag is well controlled. There is plenty of poke above 2000rpm, just less so when under it but I won't call it bad. The engine isn't too vocal either even when you push it. Refinement is superb for a diesel. The clutch is easy to use and the gear box is a nice short shifter that is light and precise to operate. The throttle pedal is of the organ type. We've had a thread on this before and I must say that this is definitely the better choice when it comes to ease of use.

I was a rear seat passenger and I braced myself for several heart in the mouth moments as my buddy, the owner of the car, was demonstrating what the car can do. You'd usually associate Hyundai's road manners to that of a boat. Far from the case on the Elantra. The car rides well and the handling is predictable. This is a comfortable car to do a cross country tour. Leg room is good at the back as well as the front. If there was something that did add some discomfort, it was the slightly raised knee level, when seated at the back.

The front seats are supportive and come with ventilation. I believe the temperature set for the air conditioning also applies for the seat cooling. Till the day you experience ventilated seats, you'll never know how useful it is, especially in a hot country like ours. Your bottom and back stays cool and sweat free.

Driving the Elantra. I can live with a car paired with a weak engine. What I can't live with is bad driving dynamics. Surprisingly; the Elantra turns out to be a decent car for the driver too. The bench mark for me and up to the Elantra's segment is my own car, a Fiat Linea. Now the Elantra does not have the same road manners as my car but it does give you an idea on what the chassis is up to. Not once did I feel nervous when pushing the car around a bend or when flat out on the highway. This is with 4 people and a little luggage on board. What can upset the composure of the car is an undulation on the highway. You tend to get a little side ways movement for a brief bit.

What does kill the driving experience is the dead steering and wooden in feel brakes. The steering has zero feedback and once you get going really fast, there is a lot of artificial weight and its not a nice feeling at all. It is as if, suddenly, they decided to hang a brick or two on the steering wheel for the purpose of weighing up at speed. You feel completely disconnected from the road. On the bright side, the steering is easy to use in the city cycle. Something you need on a car this big.

The brakes can get scary too. Once again, no pedal feedback. Though the car stops, you just can't judge how much pressure to apply. It is a little unnerving, especially when dealing with a highway emergency.

This is a high quality car. There are no cheap bits visible anywhere. All buttons and stalks operate with a feel that they'll last. What did annoy me were some of the steering mounted controls. First of all, this is a busy steering wheel. Too many buttons and most operate with a very light press. There are times I ended up pressing one of the buttons when trying to reach for the horn.

Equipment. There's lot of it. From dual zone air conditioning, powered drivers seat, front seat ventilation, cruise control, rear aircon vents, reverse parking sensors and a camera, nice 16inch rims, key less entry and start, auto headlamps. The list is long. If I must complain, it is the lack of a nice touch screen stereo. For this, my buddy fixed a Caska unit and rigged it up with a Diamond Audio dual sub woofers in the boot and components on four doors. Superb sound quality. The car has very good acoustic properties too. As for the Caska unit, I'd avoid it. Too slow to use. Navigation works well though.

Air conditioning is first class. Cools the car in a matter of minutes. I also noticed that cabin insulation is very good. The car was parked in the afternoon sun for a good 20 minutes. When we stepped back in to the car, the cabin was still cool from the effects of the air conditioning.

At 19lac on road, two years ago, I do feel my buddy made the right choice with the Elantra. He was upgrading from a Ford Fusion. Nothing quite pleased him in the C+ segment. This was primarily cause he did not want to burn his fingers with any European make car and the Honda City was not a car he liked. Hyundai has never been a car company that I cared for. After experiencing the Creta, and now the 5th gen Elantra, it is clear that they are striving to be a top car company and I don't think they are far from achieving that goal. Well done on the Elantra. I now want to experience the 6th gen model.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 5th October 2016 at 09:18.
sandeepmohan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 15:04   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
After experiencing the Creta, and now the 5th gen Elantra, it is clear that they are striving to be a top car company and I don't think they are far from achieving that goal. Well done on the Elantra. I now want to experience the 6th gen model.
I read this with a lot of curiosity/interest with the hope of finding out how the newly launched Elantra is to drive, only to find that you were describing your experience of the previous generation car. You may want to clarify that in the beginning of your post for the benefit of others.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 08:25   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
You may want to clarify that in the beginning of your post for the benefit of others.
This thread is for the 5th gen Elantra. There is a introduction thread for the 6th generation. We should have a review soon.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 14:32   #777

I am surprised that there is no review of the new Hyundai Elantra 2016 till now - Seems no BHPian has taken a delivery as of yet. I have booked one SX Petrol with the new 2.0 Litre engine. Expected delivery is before Diwali i.e. next week sometime.

In case there is any review thread, please share link.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th October 2016, 14:41   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativebug View Post
I am surprised that there is no review of the new Hyundai Elantra 2016 till now - Seems no BHPian has taken a delivery as of yet. I have booked one SX Petrol with the new 2.0 Litre engine. Expected delivery is before Diwali i.e. next week sometime.

In case there is any review thread, please share link.

Thanks in advance.
Bhpian recalcitrant has taken delivery of his Elantra.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4069654
Old 17th October 2016, 16:09   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Bhpian recalcitrant has taken delivery of his Elantra.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4069654
Yes, he has. But no review still of the car
Old 17th October 2016, 18:22   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativebug View Post
Yes, he has. But no review still of the car
You should probably check out the reviews in some external sites. I own the previous version of Elantra. I thought of exchanging this with the new one but I am holding back. For some reason, Hyundai put many new features into its top-end AT model. The MT model, even the top end variant, doesn't seem a reasonable upgrade to my current variant.

PN: I am talking about the petrol version only and apart from the 2.0 ltr engine, there is no significant upgrade.
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks