Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 19:01   #16
BHPian

Re: An Owner's Take: Renault Duster RXZ(O)

Congrats Suresh! The Duster in White looks elegant!

Just a few points on your comments-

My HU's Bluetooth works okay - no echo, only clear voice on either end. I specifically checked for this issue. My phone is a Samsung and the callers were on a Motorola and a Nokia. Could be a problem with the specific HU, rather than a design issue.

The Glove box does not have a separate micro-switch (the boot has a micro-switch linked to the door warning). Hence the glove box lamp is linked with the sidelights. a bit of cost-cutting there (micro-switch, wiring, fuse, etc)!

USB - You need to get a small-sized pen drive with reduced length- which is not a problem - try Flipkart, as one on the members had earlier suggested.

Internal Lighting - You are absolutely right on lack of proper lighting for AC knobs and the door lock position - I was fumbling for these controls, whilst driving during twilight.

Manoeuvre Stability and Max Speed - Your observations appear to be in line with the Company's recommendations - the manual specifies a non-resettable and repeating buzzer warning if speed of 120 km/h is exceeded. So they expect the vehicle's continuous cruise speed to be kept a shade below that limit. This corresponds to around 2200 - 2300 RPM in 6th gear.
There's also a warning placard placed inside on high CG & Manoeuvre stability.

Wheel Jack Points -Where are they? This is a bit of a puzzle - The manual's diagram is not very clear and the underfloor does not appear to have clearly designated wheel jack points. I forgot to check with the SA and was crazy enough to go long-distance without checking the details. Suresh, would you have the info?
Rigid Rotor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 19:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Wheel Jack Points -Where are they? This is a bit of a puzzle - The manual's diagram is not very clear and the underfloor does not appear to have clearly designated wheel jack points. I forgot to check with the SA and was crazy enough to go long-distance without checking the details. Suresh, would you have the info?
Could you post a photo of the jack. Maybe I can help.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 19:22   #18
BHPian

Congrats for the Duster. It surely is a looker in white. Now that you have mentioned it, the wheel arches are quite big. Doesn't Renault offer a reversing camera on the top model to take care of that?
I remember test driving the 85PS version a few days back and the turbo lag appeared to be quite manageable.
Old 10th October 2012, 19:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Could you post a photo of the jack. Maybe I can help.
Thanks for the offer - and Suresh sorry to hijack the thread!

Its a normal scissor jack - just better built than most. It has an indentation on its top, which does not seem to match the usual underfloor or axle location points used in other cars.
Attached Thumbnails
An Owner's Take: Renault Duster RXZ(O)-duster-jack1.jpg  

An Owner's Take: Renault Duster RXZ(O)-duster-jack-2.jpg  

An Owner's Take: Renault Duster RXZ(O)-duster-jack-3.jpg  

Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 20:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
Worst case, there are manual diesel cars with light clutch and no turbo lag out there at same or lesser price.
It's risky for a newbie to get off-topic but let me ask you this:
Which are those cars with lighter clutch and no turbo lag?
After drooling over duster for almost 2 years, now I am drifting away from it and want to consider some alternatives before making a decision.
Old 10th October 2012, 21:33   #21
gemi_kk

suresh, this is truely an unbiased review which would help some of the prospective buyers.

I too agree that the plastics quality is not good, however i was expecting that there wouldn't be any rattles in this car. Thanks for correcting my belief's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
It's risky for a newbie to get off-topic but let me ask you this:
After drooling over duster for almost 2 years, now I am drifting away from it and want to consider some alternatives before making a decision.
saurabh, i think etios is one which has no turbo lag. and its a manual one.
Again, etios is one which has a damn lighter clutch. just saying because i test drove it for a decent 15 km after driving my 100 BHP beast.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th October 2012 at 02:38. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks

Old 10th October 2012, 21:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

From the photos the jacking point seems to be along the body weld seam. What is that pocket kind of thing visible in the first photo?
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 00:06   #23
BHPian

Thank you all for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viswam View Post
What happenned to the Civic?
We don't need 2 cars. Sold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
but then I read different stories of bad -- service , bad after sales ,lack of service stations, etc .
-- essential features are missing.
My buying experience with the dealer is good. I can comment about A.S.S after giving it for service. Generally, the true service quality is exposed only when you have a serious problem with the car. Personally, I care more about whether the A.S.S is competent and honest than the plastic smiles and perfunctory feedback calls. I do not consider lack of features a deal breaker in top end Duster. But yes, lack of ABS and Dual airbags is a deal breaker in the some variants. What are the feature you are missing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
You are the second owner reporting the bluetooth echo problem, I think the other individual facing it got the HU changed but to no avail. There is apparently a CASKA unit now available that will fit like a glove but at 50K its a steep upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Most Bluetooth head units have a mic sensitivity setting. Decrease the value of that setting and you should be fine.
Quote:
works okay - no echo, only clear voice on either end. I specifically checked for this issue. My phone is a Samsung and the callers were on a Motorola and a Nokia. Could be a problem with the specific HU, rather than a design issue.
Thanks for letting me know. Let me see whether the microphone adjustment works and if not, take it to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not bad effect at all. I frequently do this in 6-speed cars as the 5th is nearly as tall and doesn't give that "sudden" punch needed for overtaking.
Thank you very much. I can go from 4 to 6 without guilt! I am loving that 6th one - makes the car tick at 2300 RPM around 110. Makes it for a very relaxed engine and cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Surprised you say this as I found the Duster's ride quality to be much, much superior to my Civics. Dealers are known to mess up tyre pressures. Can you double-check that of your Duster? I've got a hunch that your tyres are over-inflated by the dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
(Ride) is one upside many folks are overlooking the other shortcomings for.
I think I did not clarify the ride quality sufficiently. I consider Duster's ride's a big thumbs up and it IS a deal maker.

In undulated roads, which many Indian roads are, the Duster's ride is miles ahead of Civic. In shallow pothole filled, broken roads, mud roads, bad concrete roads with gaps in between Duster is awesome. Civic can only dream. In very smooth roads like a great patch of GQ and in very low speeds I found Duster to be slightly stiffer than Civic. I can check the tire pressure and comment again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
How is the turbo lag and the gear ratios?
Turbo lag is not an issue in highway. Occasionally, you could get caught in a wrong gear. No big deal. In highways, 6th gear can be used almost like an automatic from 50-60 kmph onwards. In a regular drive, starting from 1st gear and shifting up to 2,3, 4 and so on, the turbo lag is not much of an issue.

In a congested metro city it is an issue. Example: Road bumps, bumper to bumper stop go traffic, quick closing of gaps will need frequent/right shifts to keep the car in power band. The trouble is accentuated by a hard clutch.

Quote:
Internal Lighting - You are absolutely right on lack of proper lighting for AC knobs and the door lock position - I was fumbling for these controls, whilst driving during twilight.
I fumble during day, twilight and night. Once or twice I stopped the car to adjust the A/C. Maybe I will do it blindfolded after sometime.

Quote:
Manoeuvre Stability and Max Speed - Your observations appear to be in line with the Company's recommendations - the manual specifies a non-resettable and repeating buzzer warning if speed of 120 km/h is exceeded.
Did you hear the warning ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Doesn't Renault offer a reversing camera on the top model to take care of that?
I remember test driving the 85PS version a few days back and the turbo lag appeared to be quite manageable.
No reversing camera. But it is not going to help. The wing mirror helps immensely to take care of that. The lag is less in 85 PS. Haven't driven that a lot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
I found Verna, Sunny, Santro, Corolla, Yeti and even my old Indica had lighter clutches compared to Duster. If majority of your drive is in highways, broken roads and if you love cruising, Duster 110 PS is a serious contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I too agree that the plastics quality is not good, however i was expecting that there wouldn't be any rattles in this car. Thanks for correcting my belief's.
The car does NOT yet rattle. I will post when it starts rattling. Wish that day never comes. If only wishes were horses...
idofsuresh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 00:17   #24
BHPian

Hey would it be possible for you to take some more pics preferably with other cars, jeeps etc just to get an idea of the size comparison.
I love the way the duster looks. Wonder what changes Nissan would do. The model that I wanted to go for was the base petrol. Yup petrol.
My average monthly running is less than 250 kms. The base petrol did not or does not have features such as powered ovrms, the trip meter ,music system etc.
Old 11th October 2012, 01:29   #25
BHPian

Congrats on your new vehicle . Forgive me for saying but I was not able to understand your need to switch from a Civic to a Duster. Apart from ground clearance, it does not seem to offer significant value.

Also, you've switched from a petrol auto to a diesel manual which apart from being a real bother in congested everyday traffic seems like going backwards in comfort. (I may be a little biased in this regard as I own two auto box vehicles myself. Personally I don't see the point in plonking anything above 8L and suffering with 20th century manual transmissions.)

Was there a compelling reason to go in for the Duster(wanted a diesel perhaps?)? Or were you bored with the Civic for some reason?
Old 11th October 2012, 10:43   #26
BHPian

Excellent Unbiased review Suresh.

Have a couple of requests
- Could you also post the On Road Price in Bangalore
- How is the turning radius in comparsion with a Civic
Old 11th October 2012, 16:19   #27
BHPian

Congrats on new ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post

we did look at XUV5OO and Yeti. Somehow both did not work out. This was back in June.
Any specific reason why you decided not to go with XUV?
Old 11th October 2012, 22:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the offer - and Suresh sorry to hijack the thread!

Its a normal scissor jack - just better built than most. It has an indentation on its top, which does not seem to match the usual underfloor or axle location points used in other cars.
It appears like the eyelet (in your first photo) along the frame where body sheet is welded.

Check this YouTube video (credit respective owners) between 1:00 and 1:16 to get clarity on how it would appear (that's a Toyota there, however, isn't too different for a Renault).

Hope it helps. Cheers!
GunMo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 00:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishygk View Post
- Could you also post the On Road Price in Bangalore
- How is the turning radius in comparsion with a Civic
I don't have a copy but I think the prices have changed a couple of weeks back. Best bet is to call the dealer and ask for an email. Did not check the turning radius specification but I can say the turning radius is smaller than Civic based my driving experience. Also, the car is shorter than Civic. Result ? Easier to park and take u-turns than Civic. Btw, Civic's turning radius was also manageable. Did not find it troublesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheepgupta View Post
Any specific reason why you decided not to go with XUV?
Duster was offering what we needed at a cheaper price. Plus: XUV is too big, not as refined as Duster, ride quality is poorer than Duster, initial quality concerns, long term reliability concerns and waiting period. The booking was not even open when I was in market if I remember it correctly. Duster does not have a reliability record but the engine is proven and we know Logan works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post
Apart from ground clearance, it does not seem to offer significant value.

Personally I don't see the point in plonking anything above 8L and suffering with 20th century manual transmissions.)

Was there a compelling reason to go in for the Duster(wanted a diesel perhaps?)? Or were you bored with the Civic for some reason?
I have given a background in my first post. Product wise Duster has certain advantages over Civic: Freedom to take anywhere (priceless), ride quality in average Indian roads, taller seating means elderly persons are more comfortable and significantly lower running costs if you drive a lot. I may be alone here but I enjoy manuals in Indian highways because of engine deceleration.
Old 12th October 2012, 07:13   #30
BHPian

Congrats on the White beauty, this colour is just growing on me. It looks so finesse.
I too sometimes skip from 4th to 6th, relaxed to know you do the same.
Keep updating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks