Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:17   #16
BHPian

Re: My new caaaar - Nissan Sunny Petrol

Congrats! Sunny looks really good in white. The steering wheel looks great too.

What is the black knob beside the hand brake ? What is the stock tyre size ?

Found the comment about torque in reverse gear a bit unusual! :-)
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:45   #17
BHPian

Sunny is a fantastic car, no doubt. Good choice!

How is the quality of interiors, fit & finish?
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
What is the black knob beside the hand brake ? What is the stock tyre size ?
Found the comment about torque in reverse gear a bit unusual! :-)
The black knob is the 12V accessory outlet. The size of the stock tyres are 185/65 R15. The wheels are alloy, and the spare is cast iron.
Yeah, I expected that the car would smoothly move in reverse, without need for acceleration. Makes parking that much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujatwork View Post
Sunny is a fantastic car, no doubt. Good choice!How is the quality of interiors, fit & finish?
Fit and finish on the interiors are excellent. I did not find any gaps or rough untrimmed surfaces. Not a single thing is out of place or wrongly/improperly screwed. The plastic quality itself I would say are a notch below the Vento, but generally on par/better than most cars in the segment (definitely much much better than Duster). The quality of the switches, levers on the steering, door handles etc are good, and feels like made to last. On the outside, Paint quality I think is either better or on par with Vento. The gaps are even, except for the bonnet where there is a large gap. This is there on all the Sunnys (not just my car), and is similar to the new Corolla bonnet gap, if you have seen it. Not sure if there is a technical reason for that gap being there.

Last edited by Seeler_Rebeiro : 3rd January 2013 at 08:23.
Old 6th January 2013, 09:07   #19
BHPian

Did a 1st tankful test. Car still in break-in period.
80% city, 20% highway. AC on 100%
MID = 11.2 km/litre
Actual tankful = 10.1 km/litre
Good enough FE for Mumbai city driving conditions.

What do experts think ? Is the diff between MID and Actual tankful due to incorrect calibration at our pumps, and that we are paying more for lesser fuel in the tanks?
Old 18th February 2013, 19:03   #20
BHPian

Back from a weekend trip to Lonavala. The Sunny gave an awesome 17.5 km/litre of petrol. All of this was at 100% A.C set at 23 celcius & average
speed on expressway of 100 kmph. Thrilled with the mileage I got.

I had a colleague with me on the return trip & he was mentioning to me that the noise levels in the sunny petrol are much lower than his Manza petrol.
Old 16th March 2013, 16:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Back from a weekend trip to Lonavala. The Sunny gave an awesome 17.5 km/litre of petrol. All of this was at 100% A.C set at 23 celcius & average
speed on expressway of 100 kmph. Thrilled with the mileage I got.

I had a colleague with me on the return trip & he was mentioning to me that the noise levels in the sunny petrol are much lower than his Manza petrol.

Hey Seeler Rebeiro,Congratulations on the caaar. The mileage you are getting is very staggering. Is the mileage you are getting is through the tankful method ? Also please give some updates on the recent FE,service details and how many kilometers you have completed.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 16th March 2013, 19:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Belated congratulations on your Sunny and more so for taking a rational decision by choosing to be a petrol head.

Your colleague sure has a sense of humour. Noise levels in a ST bus are better(read lower) than they are in a Tata vehicle.

BTW the sealant around the suspension tower is just that a weld joint sealant, It provides extra strength to the joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post

Last edited by khoj : 16th March 2013 at 19:39.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 23:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post

Hey Seeler Rebeiro,Congratulations on the caaar. The mileage you are getting is very staggering. Is the mileage you are getting is through the tankful method ? Also please give some updates on the recent FE,service details and how many kilometers you have completed.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Thanks. The recent mileage I am getting in city is between 11 and 12. This is with 100% ac on, and about 30% higgwsy runs. I was out of the city for a while and so have completed only 2000 kms. The first service is due in June. It is a free service. So far, no issues with the car. Not tried a long highway run since my trip to Lonavala.
Old 4th April 2013, 07:50   #24
BHPian

Thanks for the Nice review... Hope the Rear View Cam picture was missing.
I would appreciate a view as seen in the cam.
Old 12th April 2013, 21:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Thanks for the Nice review... Hope the Rear View Cam picture was missing.
I would appreciate a view as seen in the cam.
Here is the view as seen in the camera.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130412_215103.png
Views: 2344
Size:  217.6 KB
Old 13th April 2013, 15:35   #26
BHPian

Looks to be clear view for a night shot.
Thanks.
Old 18th June 2013, 15:36   #27
BHPian

Completed 1st service. No complaints to report. Hence standard service was done. Total bill came to Rs 1854. Changed Engine Oil, Oil Filter, air filter, topped up all fluids, replaced washer wiper fluid and general checks performed. The engine oil used as per the invoice is Mobile Super HP 10W30. I am so far glad with the ownership experience. No niggles, no rattles, not even a single minor issue to report. Hope it stays that way.
As part of the 1st service, they also replaced the brake cylinder, which is part of the recall. I am happy to say that the braking performance has vastly improved. I would say 20 - 30 % improvement in stopping performance. You now feel you can have a mental judgement of how the car will behave.
Old 30th October 2013, 11:59   #28
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review. I have been looking at reviews over the internet and have noticed the following three complaints in general:

1. Low ground clearance. When 4 people are sitting, the speed breakers get too risky and hit the floor if the speed is not really controlled and car not navigated well over them.

2. Braking is not effective. Some people have reported that coming from other cars they found it not very responsive. There is a lag.

3. After sales service. there is a lack of service centers and this can prove to be a real showstopper when on a long drive (one city to another) and there is a breakdown en-route. Any regular car garage that could probably fix a Honda or a Maruti cannot touch this car.

Are the above true if you experienced any of the above?
(If there are other Sunny owners reading this would request for their feedback on these points)

I am considering purchasing this car, Petrol version (in Bangalore), and need to be really sure.

On a side note - the sales service seems to be casual. they initially promised to get the vehicle for a test drive and later dropped a mail saying for next two months no test-drives are available, come to the showroom for one. I mailed them for showroom address and a time when I could come and there has been no response. Not sure if they are really interested to sell or are truly reflecting Nissan's opinion in service quality. I was impressed by your comparison of different cars and service you were offered by various showrooms in Mumbai that helped you finally make the decision.

Last edited by brilliantlights : 30th October 2013 at 12:02.
Old 30th October 2013, 16:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
Thanks for the excellent review. I have been looking at reviews over the internet and have noticed the following three complaints in general:

1. Low ground clearance. When 4 people are sitting, the speed breakers get too risky and hit the floor if the speed is not really controlled and car not navigated well over them.

2. Braking is not effective. Some people have reported that coming from other cars they found it not very responsive. There is a lag.

3. After sales service. there is a lack of service centers and this can prove to be a real showstopper when on a long drive (one city to another) and there is a breakdown en-route. Any regular car garage that could probably fix a Honda or a Maruti cannot touch this car.

(If there are other Sunny owners reading this would request for their feedback on these points)

I am considering purchasing this car, Petrol version (in Bangalore), and need to be really sure.

On a side note - the sales service seems to be casual. they initially promised to get the vehicle for a test drive and later dropped a mail saying for next two months no test-drives are available, come to the showroom for one. I mailed them for showroom address and a time when I could come and there has been no response. Not sure if they are really interested to sell or are truly reflecting Nissan's opinion in service quality. I was impressed by your comparison of different cars and service you were offered by various showrooms in Mumbai that helped you finally make the decision.
Hi,

I own a Sunny XL-D in Bangalore and let me take the liberty of answering some of your questions:

Q1: Ground clearance is generally not an issue with 4 passengers provided you drive over the humps at slow speeds. This would be the same case for any sedan barring the SX4. I stay on Sarjapur road and have driven all over Blr with the Sunny over the last 18 months (17k kms) and not had major issues except on the outskirts where humps are very poorly designed. Not just Sunny, most cars kiss the humps in these places. If there are 5 passengers and road is really uneven, it gets a bit tricky. But again, this would hold good for most cars. I have sat in the City, Cruze, Vento, Linea and the cars kiss the humps a lot more often than the Sunny. The only time the car scraped the road on a few instances was a couple of weeks back when I had 5 people and had to drive to Sarjapur through a rotten mud road (behind Decathlon) with the flyover work disrupting the main road.

Q2: Braking is quite effective but you will take a couple of days to get used to it. You said it right, you will feel the brakes are dead for the first couple of secs, post which it kicks in. It is a matter of getting used to, do not worry, the brakes are very effective. Have had to suddenly hit the brakes couple of times on highways at speeds > 100 kmph and the car stopped without any fuss.

Q3: I have been getting my car serviced at Shahwar Nissan and so far no issues. They usually pick and drop the car from my office and have been prompt and courteous, though the bill is higher than Maruti (comparable with Hyundai labour costs). Which dealer did you approach - Shahwar or Surya?

Having owned the car for close to 2 years, let me reiterate what many on the forum have said. The car is a pleasure to drive in the city, very linear power delivery, very easy to maneuver and is feature rich (ACC, Dual Airbags, ABS, Rear Vents, Steering Controls etc) for its price. Interiors, though simple are well thought out and is user friendly. FE is great, I get ~20 on the highway and ~15-16 in the city with 100% AC usage - mine is a diesel so expect ~20% lower for petrol. Whilst I am told the petrol motor is not as good as the diesel, should not give you any real cause for concern. Go on and bring home the caaar !

PM me if you have any further queries.
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 01:13   #30
BHPian

Hello - Please see my answers inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post

Answer : No, i never felt that at all. In fact i took some frequent trips to Pune & Lavasa during the monsoons, when the roads were all filled with potholes and never had the issue. I am from Mumbai, and so my experiences will be different from Bangalore, where the speed breakers are really big.

Answer : Corrected with the brake cylinder recall that happened some months ago. Earlier too, the brakes were effective but there was a play in the brake pedals leading to the impression that the brakes were ineffectives. With the new cylinders it has been corrected. No issues now.

Answer : There are limited service centres compared to Maruti or Honda. That is true. However, I've never had a breakdown yet. Compared to my earlier car which had some niggles during the first year or ownership, I have not had any issues yet. I would say this point would be relevant if you are doing regular city to city commutes. If it is once in a way, you should not bother. Secondly if the breakdown is run of the mill stuff (battery dies out, some coolant/lubricant issues) , any garage can fix it. If however it is a catastrophic breakdown, or has to do with the electronics then I think even a Honda will have to be taken to a service centre.

[Answer : Very strange attitude. Never had this issue in Mumbai. Try out another showroom perhaps. ]
Seeler_Rebeiro is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks