Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 10:53   #46
BHPian

re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT-Stolen & Recovered

Some very recent pictures: These were taken last Sunday at the completion of the Blind People's Round Table Car Rally in Ahmedabad

My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-img_20140216_0850472.jpg

Jumping for Joy from the hood

My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-img_20140216_1304242.jpg

A small anecdote to share: The Blind Navigator who was with us used to stop midway in a sentence while reading out the directions and so one of my friends accompanying him asked him if he was having any problems? Turned out the problem was the leaf spring suspension on the Bolero. The ride because of the leaf springs on all 4 wheels was so harsh; the Navigator who was trying to follow the raised dots on his Braille Map lost his touch everytime the car shuddered and jumped through a pothole! I bet the Navigator in the Mahindra Scorpio next to me was much more comfortable than our Navigator was

Last edited by rahul4321 : 19th February 2014 at 11:21. Reason: Addition
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:02   #47
BHPian

re: My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT-Stolen & Recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Its always a heartening story to read the triumph of heart over mind and congratulations on this decision. :
+1 to that! Ask me the ex-Swift VDI owner, who gave up his Swift to pick up a Thar DI.
Old 15th May 2014, 23:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rahul,

Just stumbled upon this thread; very interesting and appealing vehicle you've got. Till seeing a locally-registered one here around Manali last year, I had not been aware that a solid-front-axle (4-leaf) 2WD Bolero was even being made - so nice to hear your first-hand experience. Probably would be a good vehicle to replace our Marshal, if the time for that ever comes. It would be a lot easier to convert to 4x4 than other Boleros, and the turbo engine is a lot more powerful and a bit more efficient overall the old standard DI we've got.

A few notes based on our experiences in a shared-platform vehicle (Marshal DI 4x4) with similar strengths / weaknesses:

1. I don't mind hard steering... good for the upper body and just a lot more raw, connected feel as some have already mentioned. But it's the slow ratio of non-PS vehicles I dislike. Typical M&M's MS boxes might be 4-1/2 turns lock-to-lock (full right to full left - you can check yours) - compared with some PS vehicles which might only be 2-1/2 turns or so. This means that you've got to turn the steering wheel a lot more degrees to get the same degree of wheel angle change, so practically speaking, extreme evasive / emergency maneuvers are inevitably compromised. A PS Scorpio (driven quite a lot) can change course with the flick of the wrist... a MS Bolero/ Camper/ Marshal/ pickup / whatever is simply not capable of that, and the time delay involved in changing course in critical situations can mean the difference between life and death. Getting home after a week driving a first-gen Scorpio through Lahaul-Spiti last autumn, the Marshal's steering really did feel tractor-like and slightly dangerous.

2. I don't mind firm / primitive suspensions. Many benefits strength and maintenance-wise, again, kind of raw and connected, and in my case no negative physical results to speak of. BUT... The downside (if long-term ownership is your goal) is that in time, that relentless pounding starts taking a real toll on the body / chassis. In time, pretty much everything starts to rattle / squeak / shudder / bang / crack. Taxi-wallahs up here have the entire bodies removed and all the cracks / seams re-welded every few years, which helps for awhile. Some of the Marshal's out here (incl. ours) have also had their cracking plastic dashboards removed in favor of the pickup-style metal panel, which doesn't shake and hardly emits any sounds. Anyway, we know well the pounding of which you speak. Wonder if your situation could be helped by removing a leaf or so from each spring pack and re-arching ("cambering") slightly, to try and soften it a bit. Seemed to improve things for us on the rears, so will be doing the same up front this week. Though I'm sure your many would-be passengers will be missing your free rides if it got too soft.

3. I wonder whether sourcing some polyurethane link bushings for the sway bar would grant you better longevity. I got them for my spring bushes. Even our Marshal eats the rubber bushes pretty quickly, and it has a smaller-diameter bar (i.e., less force on the links) than your Bolero. Even Nylon would probably work, if you could find a lathe shop to make them for you. Either of these options might squeak a little vs. the rubber, but would make the car more responsive, besides the longer life (old road-racer tricks).

Thanks for this thread,
Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 15th May 2014 at 23:27.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 18:20   #49
BHPian

Hey Eric

Thanks for your feedback about the non-OEM bushings. I am definitely going to consider them as this is one thing that let me drive fearleslly (especially on long highway trips). The Marshal is an extremely reliable vehicle. We used to own a Marshal (well my dad's employer did actually) and it proved its worth time and again. It was the same non-Turbo DI that you have .

Recambering is an option i was initially considering but I have now gotten used to the level of stiffness and it doesnt bother me too much (I cant say the same for the other passengers in my car though). I am inching to 20k mark and though there have been no creaks from either the dashboard or the chassis; i guess I should start expecting some.

Thanks,
Rahul
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 23:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't you know, I woke up this morning, went outside, and was greeted by a white, rigid-axle 2WD LWB Bolero DI - just like yours - parked across the road. Turned out to be an H.P. Gov't car. Seems the perfect workhorse for state officialdom in these parts, and will probably enjoy a very long service life as part of the state fleet. I really want to drive one and see what it's like / how it compares to our car.

Re: your desire for a folding rear (center row) seat... Well, I'm making my own, but will confess it's a little jugaad. Optionally, I've been told that the one out of a Safari, which is a split design, is pretty much a direct bolt-in, since it's similarly mounted on a sort of platform. One I know of (from the kabbadi in Mandi) went second-hand for Rs4,000, and it wouldn't take much to get it re-upholstered to match the rest of your interior (might even be able to use existing cloth for much of it?).

I do wonder whether the Bolero bodies have been stiffened a bit vs. the Marshals, whether they're just less prone to the shakes. On the other hand, only God knows how many km our Marshal suffered at the hands of its first owner. It did taxi service locally and to Rohtang for the first decade of its life, and I suppose has seen millions of potholes. Probably do need to have that body off.

Don't know whether you ever make it up to our neck of the woods (been seeing a few Gujarat vehicles up here lately), but if you do, feel free to stop in.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 16th May 2014 at 23:27.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 20:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I am inching to 20k mark and though there have been no creaks from either the dashboard or the chassis; i guess I should start expecting some.
Hey Rahul,
Spotted famous 46 @ CH0 circle few days before!
And Yes, DI-AC is still in manufacturing. We are getting our own this Saturday in Vapi.
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 20:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Hey Rahul,
Spotted famous 46 @ CH0 circle few days before!
And Yes, DI-AC is still in manufacturing. We are getting our own this Saturday in Vapi.
Kya baat hai! Small world! Next time if you see me- do honk and signal; would love to stop and have a chat! And many congratulations for your DI-AC. How is your Thar doing? Do you have it with you in Gandhinagar?
Old 29th August 2014, 18:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Kya baat hai! Small world! Next time if you see me- do honk and signal; would love to stop and have a chat! And many congratulations for your DI-AC. How is your Thar doing? Do you have it with you in Gandhinagar?
Sure. But You know how big CH-0 circle is!

I actually exchanged Thar DI for DI AC. It was close to heart. Had to do it for following reasons:
1. Too difficult in Ahmedabad summer. It was manageable in Vapi/Pune. DI-AC has AC.
2. As it was with soft top, leaving it unattended with shopping items was risky. It was not issue in Vapi due to small proximity. Here in Ahmedabad simply not possible. DI-AC is lockable!

It was your thread that made me sure that DI AC is still there. A thanks to you for thread. Vapi dealer was simply denied. Good part was they had to order specially for us, which ensured delivery of fresh product! So still the same torquey DI with out electronics & leafs on all wheels!

Do you have seat covers installed? As it has only vinyl covers, my family will demand some cotton like material.

Last edited by zalaps : 29th August 2014 at 18:29.
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 17:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Sure. But You know how big CH-0 circle is!

Do you have seat covers installed? As it has only vinyl covers, my family will demand some cotton like material.
Ahha I see. I remember facing the exact same issue when I was picking up my Bolero DI. The heart ached for the Thar DI but logic and common sense dictated otherwise!

Good to know that you got a freshly manufactured Bolero DI. I did not get the same advantage as no one seemed to know about this and the dealer too insisted that he got me some old stock which was lying around (probably he lied so that I would pick it up and not delay the purchase) but I am glad that due to my thread- atleast you benefited!

About the seat covers; I still use the vinyl ones because I have a dog who is rather large and who loves to walk around the backseat leaving paw marks (and sometimes mud stains/dirt etc). Since marks on Vinyl are pretty easy to wash off with a wet cloth- I did not put any seat covers on my seats. However, I have a close friend who has an Accessories shop in Ahmedabad so let me know if you need any help with their procurement.

Do start a thread of your Bolero and put up some pics too!
Old 1st September 2014, 17:35   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am inching to 20k mark and though there have been no creaks from either the dashboard or the chassis; i guess I should start expecting some.
My Bolero 4WD LX has done 52K (including ladakh twice and Sandakphu thrice ) and there has been no creaks from the dashboard yet.
Old 1st September 2014, 19:38   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
My Bolero 4WD LX has done 52K (including ladakh twice and Sandakphu thrice ) and there has been no creaks from the dashboard yet.
Boleros have a very sturdy and durable build. It may lack refinement but build quality is amazing.

My Bolero is nearing 160K kms, no creaks from dashboard yet!
I have front seats squeaking since the past 1 year. The seat base have sunk and needs replacement, the spare is not readily available. I tried redoing the driver seat base by a local upholstery guy, but the work has not been satisfactory in terms of comfort.

In terms of rattles/squeaks, the only other minor irritant from day#1 has been the wind noise through the right rear door quarter glass. I have changed the beading but the problem doesn't get solved. By pressing the quarter glass the noise will vanish. I keep a small packing of thin cardboard or thick folded paper in between glass and rubber beading to avoid this noise. But its keeps coming back, not a major irritant. Got used to this little noise since past 5 years
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 16:00   #57
BHPian

The Bolero completes 25000 Kilometers in about 1 year and 8 months. It has been a nice journey; not exactly trouble free but the jeep has never let me down anywhere.

Just last week, I had some strange sounds which used to pop up from the front leaf springs crashing into each other whenever I used to speed up on roads which had minor undulations. The sounds never came up on smooth roads or even when I took the jeep over bumps and craters at a slow speed. Took it to the Mahindra guys who lifted up the Bolero via its sides and said that the front leaf springs need recambering and quoted 3k plus for the same.

While deciding on the best course of action, I asked my office cab driver (who drove a similar leaf spring Mahindra Max in his past years) and he referred me to a guy who used to work on his Max with regards to leaf springs and the greasing. Took it to him and he said that the problem was with the rear leaf spring rubber bushings

Now if you have read this thread from the start, you would remember that I had already changed the front rubber bushings 2 times inside the first 5000 kilometers. So naturally I was not very happy with the diagnosis as well as the difference in opinion of the core problem area. While the Mahindra Service Station guys said the front leaf springs were at fault, the local garagewala said it was the rear bushings.

Anyway, I asked him to change the bushings on all 4 wheels and 5 hours and 1700 bucks later, the jeep goes on potholes without making any sound from either the front or the rear. There is still a bit of rattling but I think that may just be due to the chassis bolts which need to be tightened up in the next service.

In the midst of all this, my AC started giving me trouble. One rainy day, I switched the heater on by mistake and immediately shut it off and started the AC but the vents behind the dashboard did not close properly. Due to this, the extreme left and right vents gave out chilled air while the middle two vents gave out hot air Trust Mahindra to come up with original problems. I gave it to the service station who fixed it after charging me a steep 3k (as it was out of warranty). The problem they said was with the fitting at the factory level as they had got some pipes mixed up

Aside from these plaguing sounds and this AC problem- the jeep has been trouble free in every respect; specially as regards to its engine and tyres. I still don't feel the need for a Power Steering and so have shelved the idea aside now on a permanent basis. The Maxiss 751's perform really well; so well infact that I am thinking of replacing them with 751's again when these tyres run out of tread

The DI engine is a gem. I had a chance to drive my friends M2dicr and found it lagging slightly in terms of 2nd gear torque as compared to the DI. However, as expected- top end speed on the DI is just not enough (The M2Dicr performs slightly better here) The DI runs out of breath at 85 and 85-100 takes a long long time. 95% of the time I am very happy with my DI- but whenever I see the 97 bhp CRDe Bolero's on the road, my heart sometimes wishes for one. But heck- you cant have everything, can you?
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-bolero25000.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 24th December 2014 at 16:03.
rahul4321 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:29   #58
BHPian

The Bolero has completed a bit over 31000 kilometers. It hasnt been a completely niggle free experience but let me tell you all- owning a Bolero has made me introspect like a sadhu baba doing tapasya on a mountain and has taught me a lot of things.

Learnings from owning a Bolero

1- Laaton ke Bhoot baaton se nahin maante- - Since the last 2,500 kilometers, the steering of the Bolero has been making 'screech screech' noises over normal roads. I pinpointed it to the steering moving up and down (precisely the steering column rod. However this portion of the rod was not under the steering wheel or inside the engine compartment- but somewhere inside the dashboard) where it was bristling/rubbing against another object which was causing the noise. Asked the Mahindra guys to check the steering column bushes but they said that the bushes are okay. Came back flummoxed and researched a lot and tried some jugaads but to no avail. Finally one fine day, I was driving over unknown roads and I did not see an absolutely monstrous bump. Since, I saw it at the last moment, instead of braking, I chose to go over it at the considerably high speed I was on. "Smash and Boom"; the sounds of the the 4 leaf springs crashing, the chassis flexing and the amplifier jumping around. 5 kilometers down I noticed that the noise from the steering column had vanished. Whatever it was grinding against had been put into place. Mahindra's are like those naughty kids which really dont need tender loving care but rather just a good kick in the shins

2- 'Keep Calm and Keep Driving'- This is not the quickest car on highways. At a 100, you are touching its maximum potential. People overtake me on the highways left and right when I am cruising-No sorry make that-pedal to the metal at a 100 kilometers/hour. Some people give me a dirty stare as to why I dont use the left lane. But I just keep calm, sing some Bob Marley songs and drive in a zen induced trance like a Monk knowing that while I wont get to my destination quickly- but I will get there surely.

3- Forget your Calm and abuse the park-iminals- My Bolero does not have a powersteering. My biceps are very strong. My patience has eroded. Those 3 statements above are intertwined in a way which only a person who drives a non powersteering Bolero can understand. At the gym which I go to every morning- I do every exercise except for the shoulders and biceps as they get a workout every single day. However I lose my mind when some nutcases park very close to my car. I have on occasions yelled out in frustration when cars have been parked at a distance of 2 mm from my front and rear bumper. Extracting the Bolero from this mess is like having your wisdom tooth pulled out without anesthesia. I literally sweat buckets turning the steering lock to lock for moving it 2 mm to the front and then reverse lock to lock for moving it 2 mm to the back. My arms, biceps and shoulders hurt so much that I dont go to the gym the next day.

4- The car turns heads wherever you go; for all the wrong reasons- White Bolero, standard body coloured black bumpers; what do you expect? Recently I was driving my client from the UK to the airport at 3 am in the morning for his flight back home when we came to a roundabout from where the interstate luxury buses as well as intercity jeeps start off. People saw the Bolero in this distance and jumped onto the middle of the road waving for me to stop. My client looked at them curiously then looked at me and asked 'Do you know them?' I said 'No. why?'. He replied 'It certainly seemed to me that they knew you'

5- You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave- I honestly do not look at the road anymore. I just look at the contours of the road; the borders if you will but not 'on' the road. I dont care what I am driving on; whether there is asphalt, stones, gravel, a ditch, a pothole, a bump or even a puddle or a small pond- I just drive through it. When i pop into my Accent or any of my friend's car- I have to subconsciously be so careful and look between the borders of the road to adjust the car's speed according to what I am driving on. In this area- the Bolero has just spoilt me silly. I am not sure what car I will buy to replace the Bolero- but if they still make this car, then this is what I will buy.

Mahindra (if you are listening)- How about another limited run of Bolero Storm CRDe's?

Problems- The AC doesnt cool the cabin enough. I recently got the AC on the Bolero serviced where i got the AC gas topped up, the vents cleaned, the condenser serviced and a few other things- but while it directs cold air directly onto my face and hands giving a temporary relief, the cabin does not cool down at all. Can anybody please help me with this?

Quick Facts
Servicing cost- 2.5 to 3k per service every 10k kilometers. Very reasonable.
Mileage- 17-18 km/litre (I dont drive in the city at all- its purely highway)
Pro's - Torquey, climbs like a steam engine, very cheap to maintain, takes any quality of diesel and doesnt complain what you drive it on
Con's- Doesnt like to be pushed above 100 km/hr. Bumpy ride quality unless you master the art of how to edge over bumps, AC doesnt cool enough (or is it just in my Bolero)

31,000 kilometers up- many more hopefully to go.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered-rahul-bolero.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 3rd June 2015 at 19:42. Reason: grammatical typos
rahul4321 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 01:08   #59
BHPian

38000 Kilometers. The Bolero was stolen day before yesterday. I had parked it in front of my office building besides the road. When I got out at 12:30 am it wasnt there. I went to the police station, filed a complaint, notified the insurance company and the bank and went home saddened.

I went to the Mahindra Showroom the next day to get a copy of the duplicate insurance papers as I had left the original ones in the car. There i got to know that DI Bolero's are prone to being stolen as Mahindra doesnt equip them with an immobilizer. The M2Dicr Bolero's are though equipped with an immobilizer and thus cannot be started with a duplicate key.

I hope I manage to get it back- although I do not really expect to do so. Looking at buying either the Force Gurkha 4x4 or the Scorpio S4 4x4 as replacement. I would like to buy the Bolero again (this time the 4x4) but unfortunately the 4x4 only comes with the DI and not the M2Dicr and I cant afford to have one stolen again.

Mods- please close this thread. Thanks for reading everybody.

Last edited by rahul4321 : 14th February 2016 at 01:10. Reason: correction
rahul4321 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 08:33   #60
BHPian

Sorry for your loss, i was considering a 4x4 Bolero in 2013, but a wait period and special order sounded not very convincing and i dropped the idea.
I heard the S4 4x4 is really good. Hope you can recover the old Bolero.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks