Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 13:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Silver Beast - Hyundai i-gen i20 2013!

Hey, hearty congratulations & wishing you unlimited safe & happy miles with the car! really a good review, and the pictures are really pro! great job.

You mentioned that Jazz is discontinued by Honda? Thats a big news to me? Are you certain of it? Recently they launched a lower priced variant of the Jazz infact, and that too without cutting too many corners (pleasantly).
Old 28th May 2013, 14:47   #17
BHPian

I have two things to say:
Congratulations and Smart choice.
Old 29th May 2013, 00:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
  • Non-existent sound from the Rear speakers
Did you check the Fading(FAD) adjustment in your music settings? It may be set maximum to the front. I have a the same model(crdi) and the rear speakers work perfectly fine.
Old 29th May 2013, 04:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, OP for a good review and fabulous pictures. Just to clarify, in terms of safety features, does the magna (o) variant have abs or airbags? being a hyundai, i am not sure of the safety features, as they are notorious for providing airbags and not abs.
Old 29th May 2013, 12:00   #20
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Hey, congrats on your car!
These pics are absolutely beautiful!
What camera did you take these pics from?
Thanks nipcarlover.

I like photography. The camera is a Sony NEX F3 with 18-55 mm lens and APS-C sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Congratulations on your new i20. Excellent detailed review.

Did you try adjusting the balance in the Settings? I face this issue whenever the settings are reset during service.

Keep updating the thread regularly. Have many more happy and safe miles with your new i20.
Thanks guyfrmblr.

I did try the balance settings, but they only adjust the Left-Right and not the Front-Rear balance. Thanks for all the tips. Will definitely keep them in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Hi Aman - Hyundai does offer the 4th year extended warranty. I got the same done last month so I know this for sure. Mine is the diesel variant and I am assuming that they should be giving the same extended warranty for the petrol version too. They might exempt the automatic though as its a totally imported engine. Please check this out with your SA.
Thanks for that info Arvind. Will check with Hyundai call centre first, as the SA initially had confirmed there is no 4th year warranty. If it is indeed there, then I need to take it up with the dealership as to why are they giving wrong info to interested customers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Congratulations on your new ride! You'll love being pampered in your i20 with all those gadgets and equipment at your disposal especially when compared to the barebone Santro. However, I still absolutely love the Santro and you may just miss yours for its super torquey nature!

I am just surprised on your OTR cost. The 6.23 figure seems a bit on the higher side considering we got the Asta for ~6.60 OTR Ahmedabad last September. Is there only a 40K difference between the Asta and the Magna (O)? If so, how much does the Sportz go for? Just curious.
Thanks 9thsphinx. Interesting username!

Yes, at the moment, I am enjoying the luxurious change from my base variant Santro Though, I agree, Santro has a very torquey driving experience, specially in the sportz mode (AC OFF switch, he he).

Regarding prices, they have increased since Sep 2012. Also, there's an additional difference of 20K in Mumbai prices over Ahmedabad. Sportz and Asta cost around 7.1 and 7.7 in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Excellent choice for your new car.

No point revving beyond 3000rpm. I have tried this on a 8000km run car and you don't stand to gain much other than engine noise.
Thanks sandeepmohan. I agree with your points.

However, I do hope to take the car beyond 3000 RPM; maybe till 5000 RPM, once the run-in is done. Have read that it's a revv-happy engine and smooth at high RPMs. Hope am not disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey, hearty congratulations & wishing you unlimited safe & happy miles with the car! really a good review, and the pictures are really pro! great job.

You mentioned that Jazz is discontinued by Honda? Thats a big news to me? Are you certain of it? Recently they launched a lower priced variant of the Jazz infact, and that too without cutting too many corners (pleasantly).
Thanks Reinhard. I like photography, so tried my best with the pics. Any suggestions about other angles / shots are most welcome.

Yes I am sure regarding the Jazz. Though, it's not permanently discontinued. Honda plans to release an refreshed version in 2014 based on the new Honda City platform. They also wanted to release some capacity for Amaze, I think. Here's a link:http://www.autocarindia.com/News/334...-in-india.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahven View Post
I have two things to say:
Congratulations and Smart choice.
Thanks Mahven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Did you check the Fading(FAD) adjustment in your music settings? It may be set maximum to the front. I have a the same model(crdi) and the rear speakers work perfectly fine.
Hey nettooran. Thanks for that tip. Will try it out and see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Thank you, OP for a good review and fabulous pictures. Just to clarify, in terms of safety features, does the magna (o) variant have abs or airbags? being a hyundai, i am not sure of the safety features, as they are notorious for providing airbags and not abs.
Thanks govigov.

No, Magna (O) does not have ABS or Airbags. However, variants Sportz, Asta and Asta (O) do get these. Hyundai has pulled out all stops in loading the i20 to the gills with safety features. Asta (O) gets six of these airbags!

Last edited by Virtualaman : 29th May 2013 at 12:06.
Old 29th May 2013, 12:29   #21
BHPian

Update on Fuel Efficiency

The Beast has completed it first tank-full worth of running now (500 Km) and I recently got the virgin mileage figures! I have to admit that this has been the one milestone I have been looking forward to. Was secretly wishing and hoping that it's not sub-10 after having read few owner reports on Team BHP of their experience. I am happy to report that I got a acceptable 11.8 Kmpl. The car has been run exclusively in city traffic conditions during the morning / evening commuting hour. Average running per day has been around 40 KM with 100% AC varying between 22 - 24 degrees temperature. Occasionally, there have been a few trips with a load of four passengers. Have read that usually the first figures are typically on the lower side, and bump up after the first service. That in i20's case, is due at 1200 KM. So hoping for the best.

Here's welcoming existing pertrol i20 owners, to share the "virgin" figures of the FE they got on their i20s.

Run-in Method

I have been following the Team BHP recommended method of not revving beyond 2500 RPM. I plan to continue with this. However, the manual does contradict this in some sense by suggesting to keep the RPMs between 2000-4000 RPM for the first 1000 KM. I have chosen to be conservative.

By the way, can anyone share what is the Hyundai recommended speed for each gear? I haven't found this in the monstrous manual after having flipped through it a few times. The auto gear indicator usually suggests upshifting around 2100 RPM in each gear, which I feel is on the lower side when translated into speed. For example, if this is followed, then one would need to shift at 40 KMPH to fourth and 60 KMPH to the fifth gear, which is kind of ridiculous for a RPM range that redlines at 6000 RPM.

Last edited by Virtualaman : 29th May 2013 at 12:41.
Old 29th May 2013, 13:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, can anyone share what is the Hyundai recommended speed for each gear? I haven't found this in the monstrous manual after having flipped through it a few times. The auto gear indicator usually suggests upshifting around 2100 RPM in each gear, which I feel is on the lower side when translated into speed. For example, if this is followed, then one would need to shift at 40 KMPH to fourth and 60 KMPH to the fifth gear, which is kind of ridiculous for a RPM range that redlines at 6000 RPM.
Hey, I have an i10, which recommends approx. the same speeds for upshifting to a higher gear. This is tuned completely for fuel economy. But, I think it works quite well. It also takes into account the situation. e.g Under slightly vigorous acceleration, it recommends an upshift slightly later. The RPMs are not so low that it lugs the car, so I suggest you stick to the display or slightly more (200 RPM I guess).
Old 29th May 2013, 14:21   #23
BHPian

@Virtualaman Many congratulations to you!. I too drive an i20. The car is very effortless to drive. It is true that it lacks the grunt below 2000 rpm. I too am facing this.

It needs to be driven softly and not like a performance car!. The more you drive it softly, the more you will love it. But let me tell you that I have redlined it once. I feel that there is no point in going beyond 4k rpm, as it just struggles after that crying for help!. But the engine sounds quite good after 5k rpm!
And about the FE, 11.8 is a respectable figure.
Now given the gearshift, try shifting up at 2.5k rpm. This helps in building torque and you can move quickly within the traffic without feeling the sluggishness from the engine.
Old 29th May 2013, 15:00   #24
BHPian

Congrats Virtualaman! Thats a balanced review. Great pics - the night pics are especially interesting! Enjoy your new drive, your new love!
Old 29th May 2013, 16:45   #25
BHPian

Nice review Virtualaman! Very well explained. I was planning to write a review myself as my ride (maharaja red) is close to completion of 2 months. Got my first 1200-1500 service done on 9th May. The feeling to own and write a review about the same would be amazing. Congratulations once again. Drive safe!

That's my ride, clocked 2400Kms till now and has returned the best FE of 14.5, worst of 10.4 with an overall average of 11.85. Guess that's respectable
Attached Thumbnails
My Silver Beast - Hyundai i-gen i20 2013!-935670_10201349995098007_789273273_n.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 29th May 2013 at 17:31. Reason: No back to back posts please.
Old 30th May 2013, 13:01   #26
BHPian

Hi Virtualaman,

Really nice review there. It's pretty cool that you put in the effort of compiling this while your beauty was still sipping its first tankful Congratulations!

Very detailed photography there.. Especially liked the headlamp view someone would get while overtaking you, lol

In this world of Diesels, it is good to see a Petrol i20. How have you found the refinement levels so far?
Any upgrades / mods planned?

Cheers,
Sam
Old 1st June 2013, 18:34   #27
BHPian

Hi Virtualaman,

Congrats on your purchase. i have been driving a petrol magna for last 4 years (2009). I learned to shift gears at 1800 - 2000 rpm - it became a habit, after the engine sounded optimistic while shifting at that range. You dont feel the lack of power below 2000 rpm if you shift at that point.

My car's done 76000 kms now and I have never felt the need to change it so far.

Virgin mileage at Mumbai was 10.5 kpl. Initial 1 year was in Mumbai and mileage was around 12.5 in heavy city traffic.

I replaced the stock 175 apollos for 185 profile Michelin at 57000 and the change has made a noticeable difference translating to smoother rides and better handling of potholes.

Also changed the engine oil to shell helix ultra and mileage figures have increased by 1 kmpl. My current run 80% ac in Bangalore (medium traffic) 60 km/day and mostly me alone in the car, returns 15+ kmpl (15 - 16.5 if ac usage is lesser). I always use shell normal petrol and have noticed a drop of atleast 1 kmpl if i fill any other.

highways are good, so long as you drive sedate. on long drives, I drive around 100 most of the time with ac always on and economy has been in 17/18 range

i have no doubt the next gen i20 would serve you well. Happy and Safe driving
Old 16th July 2013, 22:32   #28
BHPian

Completed 3000 km. The first service was done at 1300 km and I was hoping to see an increase in the FE, which hasn't happened. Engine oil and filter were changed. As per the SA, the FE usually increases after 10,000 KM. Is this true? So far, it has hovered around 11.5-12.

No niggles so far. Got two 3M treatments done:

1) Underbody anti-rust coating with 5 years warranty for Rs 4000
2) Paint sealant for Rs 2500

The anti-rust coating also has a sound deadening effect. Especially on concrete roads, the difference in terms of before and after is quite apparent. This, in addition to the already low NVH of the i20 has made for a very quite cabin now, which is great.

The way I am combating the lack of grunt at the lower end of the RPM is by shifting gears around 2.5k or higher. That way it negates the issue. I had also revved the engine a couple of times by mistake to 5000 RPM and I have to say the sound was great . Am also loving the engine refinement, so far.

Will update more in future.

Last edited by Virtualaman : 16th July 2013 at 22:35.
Old 17th July 2013, 12:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Completed 3000 km. The first service was done at 1300 km and I was hoping to see an increase in the FE, which hasn't happened. Engine oil and filter were changed. As per the SA, the FE usually increases after 10,000 KM. Is this true? So far, it has hovered around 11.5-12.

The way I am combating the lack of grunt at the lower end of the RPM is by shifting gears around 2.5k or higher. That way it negates the issue. I had also revved the engine a couple of times by mistake to 5000 RPM and I have to say the sound was great . Am also loving the engine refinement, so far.
Hi virtualaman!.

Good to know your i20 is munching miles nicely. As far as FE is concerned, what the SA told you correct. The i20's engine opens up after 10k kms. And I have experienced that in my i20. Its been 1.5 years and 12300 kms and the FE has improved slightly. I used to get around 9.5 to 10 kpl in the city with 95% AC. Now after 11k kms the FE is around 11.5 to 12 kpl. Also the drivability has improved slightly post 10k kms.

And I think 2.5k rpm is sufficient to build the momentum to get going and keep up with the traffic. Revving the engine beyond 2.5k rpm is pointless for this car as it will neither be fast nor it will be fuel efficient. But things are different when you are driving spiritedly . And yes, the motor sounds great post 5k rpm!. I have redlined it once and have to say that it cries for help after 5500 rpm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks