Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 19:48   #31
BHPian

re: The Ford Nanny - New Ford Fiesta DCT (Automatic). EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
However, there are some workarounds to reduce that.
Yes, it is more work than a conventional torque converter auto. But man, when you find a gap opening up or a even a little free stretch, the dsg pounces like a cat and puts a grin, never got this from the Hyundai, Honda ATs, including the civic paddles (which in retrospect feel so slow in shift times). Of course, mileage is much much better in the dsg.
I am smooth driver by nature, and honestly, I drive a manual car in the stop-go traffic . I prefer total control.

However, I would like to draw your attention to the lines in bold. That's what bugs me about the DSG. I had high expectations from the gearbox, and that's why maybe it let me down.

In stop-go traffic, you need instant torque (or rather, I prefer that), and that is only possible from a torque converter, with the penalty being that the shifts are perceptible.

CVT gearboxes will give you beautiful seamless shifts, but the penalty is noise (from the smaller cc engine cars) due to the rubber band effect.

Quote:
So, super heavy traffic, I guess buy a TC if you value supreme convenience
Nope. I wouldn't agree on that. As a enthusiast, I tend to adapt to different cars very quickly, and I end up enjoying all cars (even if they are bland). I speak on behalf of the average commuter only.

My drive in the polo DSG has been very limited, and as I said earlier, first impressions left me disappointed. No doubt, the engine covers up for the DSG's problem to some extent, but for a commute of Indian city traffic, I require instant torque. So, for me, it will be a torque converter.

As I said earlier, this is a very personal view of mine, and I will totally get it if you would rather be in the polo than the i10. I actually prefer to drive my friend's city A/T (3rd gen) than my fiesta in traffic, and I drive a manual in real world

Sorry for confusing you further usatya, but I can't help it..

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 9th November 2014, 20:38   #32
BHPian

The Ford Nanny - New Ford Fiesta DCT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
However, I would like to draw your attention to the lines in bold. That's what bugs me about the DSG. I had high expectations from the gearbox, and that's why maybe it let me down.
======
In stop-go traffic, you need instant torque (or rather, I prefer that), and that is only possible from a torque converter, with the penalty being that the shifts are perceptible.
===========
As I said earlier, this is a very personal view of mine, and I will totally get it if you would rather be in the polo than the i10. I actually prefer to drive my friend's city A/T (3rd gen) than my fiesta in traffic, and I drive a manual in real world

Instant torque? Nothing comes close to the dsg. Especially in slightly better than bumper to bumper traffic. 30 to 70 or 40-60 is over really really fast, faster than a driver can ever shift, forget CVT/TC transmissions. I'm really having fun cutting through traffic.

You really do need to have a proper test drive.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th March 2017 at 09:28. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 9th November 2014, 20:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instant torque? Nothing comes close to the dsg. Especially in slightly better than bumper to bumper traffic. 30 to 70 or 40-60 is over really really fast, faster than a driver can ever shift. Do a proper td - you really need one!
I think he meant torque from a standing start.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 20:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

Oh ok. Definitely not as instant as a TC, my polo creeps at half the speed of my i10.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 20:51   #35

Dear Simple_car,

Thanks for the detailed review of my concern & explained at such length taking your time. As I was doing TD for the last six months of as many ATs I could grab a TD both in Mumbai & pune dealers including Cvt s of new Honda, Renault & Nissan & ATs of old Honda & the DSG of Vento/Polo, both in petrol & diesel of course in vento alone. Was almost to settle for Vento DSG diesel at whooping 13.45lacs at Shaman Prabhadevi, as per my brother from small town who does not believe in used cars,suddenly this offer of Fiesta AT came in the way at 6.20lacs for the 2012 6K petrol AT wrote earlier. Pending reading your reply to my post, I was busy whole day taking the car to the SCFord GGN Service stn & gtg report from the same advisor who dealt with the car for the last 2.5 yrs.Report being positive, I committed on the car & paid token, expecting dely by Wednesday. Incidentally my drive taking the car happened thru the same stretch of evening commute but not very different in the noon which I did bumper to bumper. Surprisingly, I did not find drive that bad as I noted from the info I read, except the moment I take to L mode, it wont remain silent & not comfortable.D was OK all along the 20KM return drive.Now you may wonder where do I fall in the feed back you gave or my own understanding from similar TDs I had on fairly new TD cars of Vento both petrol/diesel & Polo tsi. As I am anyways saving good bucks I settled for the fiesta AT, with a selfish note it may go well for a CNG instead of vento/Polo which seems a failure in that deptt. What is your view on fiesta CNG conversion.Will it be successful even with sequential reputed kits. Noted from a large converter in Pune EcoSport he could convert successfully. I need to recheck if it is AT, as I believe EcoSport AT & the one in Fiesta AT are similar if not same with a difference of tiptronic I could not see in the Fiesta I drove today. If it is similar AT box, I was not sure why I was not comfortable with the EcoSport AT I had a TD for short while, in Lokhandwala busy area.Leave alone its uncertain dely periods. What is your view on this. May be I shifted from one to another aspect of the AT i wanted to acquire, you can through as much light as possible.
usatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 23:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Instant torque? Nothing comes close to the dsg. Especially in slightly better than bumper to bumper traffic. 30 to 70 or 40-60 is over really really fast, faster than a driver can ever shift, forget CVT/TC transmissions. I'm really having fun cutting through traffic.

You really do need to have a proper test drive.
I will definitely form a final opinion after a long TD of the polo/vento DSG (Petrol), but from what you are describing, I can totally relate. Btw, belated congratulations on your polo

At the end of the day, all that matters is that you enjoy the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Yup, and instant torque at low speeds of 0-40 kmph, which is the speed my car does all day through traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usatya View Post
Dear Simple_car,

As I was doing TD for the last six months of as many ATs I could grab a TD both in Mumbai & pune dealers including Cvt s of new Honda, Renault & Nissan & ATs of old Honda & the DSG of Vento/Polo, both in petrol & diesel of course in vento alone..
.Report being positive, I committed on the car & paid token, expecting dely by Wednesday. Incidentally my drive taking the car happened thru the same stretch of evening commute but not very different in the noon which I did bumper to bumper. Surprisingly, I did not find drive that bad as I noted from the info I read, except the moment I take to L mode, it wont remain silent & not comfortable.D was OK all along the 20KM return drive.
As I am anyways saving good bucks I settled for the fiesta AT, with a selfish note it may go well for a CNG instead of vento/Polo which seems a failure in that deptt. What is your view on fiesta CNG conversion.
If it is similar AT box, I was not sure why I was not comfortable with the EcoSport AT I had a TD for short while, in Lokhandwala busy area.Leave alone its uncertain dely periods. What is your view on this. May be I shifted from one to another aspect of the AT i wanted to acquire, you can through as much light as possible.
Congratulations on the car sir I am happy that you did your homework and TD-ed many range of cars before settling for the fiesta. Since you were comfortable with the car in your 20 km drive, I guess, you are OK with it. That was a wise call according to me.

Anyways, I am sorry to inform you that I will not be able to guide you on any aspect of the CNG conversion whatsoever, since I have very little clue on it myself. However, I would request you to consider a few points before you take the final call:

Since you have already saved a huge 6 lacs by going for this used buy, is it worth saving whatever little you may (on fuel costs) and headaches associated with CNG conversions which IMO are:
- CNG-ed fords are a depreciation disaster even in the used market.
- CNG-ed car does require a lot more monitoring compared to the more forgiving NA petrol cars (you will have to change the spark plugs more often, clean air filter very very regularly, and keep visiting your CNG conversion shop frequently for tune-up, licensing etc.)
- You will most certainly lose warranty on the gearbox once you go that route. Ford will most certainly not honour any warranty once you decide to go the CNG way. I don't wish to scare you but, the DSG box has a clutch inside it, and clutch is something which wears out, but Ford does cover this under warranty so long as the car as the appropriate service records. I would kindly request you to not give them an upper hand to let them deny any warranty whatsoever; even if it may have not been your fault.
- Lining up and frequent fuelling up for CNG.
- Boot space will be compromised.

Honestly, to me, it's not worth going through all these hassles, since I will lose a lot more money in the long run. However, I will leave the final decision on you.

Once again, congratulations on the car, and wish you many happy and peaceful miles with it.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 29th May 2015, 15:01   #37
BHPian

The car is going to complete 3 years in a few days, and it has completed it's 3rd year service.

ODO stands at 23k kms.

Changed the brake pads this time, and I must say, that I love the feedback of the brakes now. Total cost for service was around 7k (including labour and taxes).

No other issues to report. Smooth sailing all the way. The broken handrest was removed since I wasn't willing to invest in a new one.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 24th January 2016, 12:33   #38
BHPian

A small update:

ODO reading: 26k kms...

Issues cropped up:
- check engine light
- damage to door (brother had a misjudgement)
- dead battery
- rear left shocker leak

Gave the car for service yesterday (and decided to get its annual service done simultaneously). Am guessing that the check engine light must be due to weak battery, but will know for sure later. While on the ramp, saw that the rear left shocker had leaked oil, though I couldn't detect any symptoms.

Estimate for normal service: 6.3k (including labour) for 40k kms service.
Shocker price: 3.9k

Car is otherwise lying idle at home nowadays (has run less than 3k kms in past year). No issues otherwise, and it has been a trouble-free experience otherwise from the #Ford

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 9th January 2017, 12:58   #39
BHPian

Update:

Posting after almost a year. The ODO is near 33k kms (thats about 7k kms in a year). Will list out the work done:
- battery replaced.
- left ORVM replaced (broken again in a minor accident).
- whole car (except roof) repainted... got an excellent deal with the local dealer.
- rear logo replaced (stolen).

Recently, the dash was making a sound intermittently, and the A/C used to switch off randomly. Ford service centre said that A/C blower needs to be replaced (>25k in cost), but a little googling and found that the noise is due to the sensor fan which touches the dashboard and makes the sound. After a lot of arguments, finally they ordered the rubber part which is required to cover the sensor, and should hopefully sort out the problem.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 11th July 2017, 20:40   #40
BHPian

The nanny completes 5 years with us. Current ODO is 38k kms.

I had the opportunity to drive it for ~100 kms recently. I am very impressed with its dynamics. Despite the nanny-ing by the electronics, its still a fun car to drive. Quiet cabin, great dynamics, good music system, top notch safety, quality interior, reasonably comfortable suspension and a chiller a/c... one cannot ask for more for the Indian summer and bombay roads.

The suspension is holding up well for most part. There is a very slight sound on certain paverblock laid roads, and I suspect that the stabilizers may be on their last legs.

The michelin primacy st tyres have held up above my expectations. Still have a good amount of tread, and no visible cracks anywhere. They continue to perform their job quietly.. just the way I like it.

The car continues to give 10 - 11 km/ltr average in bombay, and that would have been fine, but for the tiny tank ford has equipped the car with. The fuel gauge is always under my radar when I drive... its scarily accurate.

This car remains the 2nd most cheap to maintain in our garage, after the late ford figo. Average maintainence bills per year hover around 5k, and unexpected repairs have been the following:
1. Tyre damage --> Happened after one year. Replaced all tyres with Michelins.
2. Mirrors --> broken twice due to misjudgement.
3. Accidental repairs --> Done twice. One rear door recently, and one front door couple of years back. Claimed under insurance.
4. Painting --> was covered partially by insurance when one door was replaced, and the rest was done voluntarily because the car had accumulated a lot of scratches thanks to our fellow inconsiderate countrymen; and the service centre was running some good schemes for painting.
5. Blower noise --> sorted out for no cost to us. The noise has disappeared.
6. Shock absorber leak --> One of the shocks failed prematurely.
7. Battery --> replaced after 4 years.

The gearbox is also holding up well. For newbies, this box has a learning curve... but once you get the drift, its a decent and reliable piece of kit. I still maintain that for Indian roads, the conventional torque converters or CVT boxes are the way to go.

No plans to sell the car in the near future. The nanny recently got a new kid to take care of: the Ford Figo Sports edition (diesel) --> one stonker of a car this one is.

If anybody has questions, please shoot. Will be happy to answer.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 11:13   #41
BHPian

The car is up for sale. The details can be found as under:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...d/Fiesta.html/

The ownership log is up for everyone to see. If anyone is interested in the same, please contact me via the forum or email listed on the classified.

I will prefer to sell it to someone who takes care of their vehicles. More detailed pics can be found on Quickr website. I can share it over the email as well.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 4th May 2018 at 11:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks