Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 02:23   #46
BHPian

re: The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post

Its running Synthetic oil. Mobil 1. I'm planning to continue with that. Around 3000 bucks for 6.5 liters of Mobil 1? I don't think so

Certainly not for the synthetic variety. Regular mineral oil on the other hand, yes. But do carry on with synthetic. I'm too scared to make the switch on either of my cars, so I'm just going to carry on with what is there.
Old 30th July 2013, 12:20   #47
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations buddy. You got a legend there. Wishing u many happy miles.

The car being such an old one, I would like to hear a small review on the ride quality, suspension and the ride comfort of that car in city conditions as well as at high speeds from you.
Old 30th July 2013, 13:10   #48
BHPian

Congrats mate! Welcome to the family. A smart decision to buy W124 250D of E Class. Its better than the later models. Enjoy driving!
wartikars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 14:59   #49
BHPian

Hello Mr DudeWithaFiatandaW124! Congratulations on your great buy! Looks like the universe did actually conspire to make your dream come true!

What a beauty! What a personality! It looks like a very well maintained car. Above all, i think she commands respect.

That you have such a good source for maintenance and spares is like icing on cake! Enjoy many more lakhs of miles and smiles!
Top-Gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 16:12   #50
BHPian

You are one lucky guy.
That W124 is one of the best ones around in there. Congrats.
And please don't even think about any of those fancy clear lens/headlights or whatever. She is a beauty now, let her be.
Old 31st July 2013, 14:26   #51
BHPian

Definitely one of the best kept Merc's I've seen. The shade is the choice of color for W124. . Congrats.
sharoncr_17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 22:32   #52
BHPian

Awesome find. Take a bow. The car is in a to good to be true state after all those years. What are the specs of this mill?
Old 31st July 2013, 23:15   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobalan View Post
DudeWithaFiat, thanks for the valuable information. since you are coming to Tvm, why should i miss an oppurtunity to see your car and have some talk.
Kindly tell where you work/stay, make me feel lucky among your MB fans in this page.Have a safe ride
Be my guest . I work at Technopark and stay near Manvila (about 5km from Kazhakkoottam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Hearty Congratulations buddy. You got a legend there. Wishing u many happy miles.

The car being such an old one, I would like to hear a small review on the ride quality, suspension and the ride comfort of that car in city conditions as well as at high speeds from you.
On papers, yeah such an old one, but in the real world, she doesn't behave like one. Unlike the modern diesels, the initial pick-up is a bit slow (this one is non-CRDi, non-turbo diesel car with enough of diesel lag), but she hits 1600rpm on the tacho, you feel the power. About the ride quality/comfort and suspension, she is top notch. A few days back I was sitting inside a friends one year old Verna (1.4 Diesel) and the NVH levels of the W124 is slightly better than the new car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
You are one lucky guy.
That W124 is one of the best ones around in there. Congrats.
And please don't even think about any of those fancy clear lens/headlights or whatever. She is a beauty now, let her be.
Nopes. Beauty lies in her originality, I'm getting the headlights washed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Awesome find. Take a bow. The car is in a to good to be true state after all those years. What are the specs of this mill?
5 cylinder, inline engine. 2497cc, 111bhp at 5000rpm. 173Nm torque. Rear wheel drive.... More details here http://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-spe...50-Diesel.html
Old 31st July 2013, 23:28   #54
BHPian

Here are a few more pics for your viewing pleasure . All of these pics where clicked at the Willington Island (IIRC, the first man-made island of India) Kochi using my Nikon Coolpix.

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-t1.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-t2.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-t3.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-t4.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-t5.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-t6.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-t7.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-t9.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-t10.jpg
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 00:21   #55
BHPian

DudeWithaFiat, thanks for the Pictures, the car look majestic.
btw, i also work at Technopark which makes easier for us to meet.
not sure how will i convey my contact.
Old 1st August 2013, 00:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Here are a few more pics for your viewing pleasure .
The front wings, where they meet the bumper, are renowned for rusting. Although it is easy and cheapish to replace them since they bolt on, prevention is better than cure so splash lots of anti-corrosion treatment on the inside of this area when you have good dry weather. Something which seals against moisture but which doesn't dry out is good. The front bumper comes off easily, it would make sense to remove this for better access.
FlatOut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 09:55   #57
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

congrats. This one looks to be in superb nick.

Yet suggest - Change to Grey Leather seats and door pads - This was an option on this model original from the showroom. - You could research and get it done from a Leather showroom at your convenience. Adds to the look significantly. Also suggest you get the gear know replaced with a original new one if you can.

Also suggest you change all the rubber pipes etc in the engine bay - unless they have been replaced recently (last 3 years) by the previous owner.

Of course the tyres should be changed first up.

The side view mirrors are very very expensive - be careful with them as also do not park in places where the logo / monogram on the bonnet / dickey can be removed.

Once again a lovey vehicle . You are very lucky and persistent enough to be living your dream.

Last edited by ACM : 1st August 2013 at 10:00.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 11:14   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I was sitting inside a friends one year old Verna (1.4 Diesel) and the NVH levels of the W124 is slightly better than the new car .
As per my knowledge and ownership experience, the new Verna itself is one of the most silent and refined diesels with very good NVH levels. Still better than that? That too in such an old car? That's awesome.
madhav14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 11:38   #59
BHPian

Quote:
As per my knowledge and ownership experience, the new Verna itself is one of the most silent and refined diesels with very good NVH levels. Still better than that? That too in such an old car? That's awesome.
W124 will make more noise to the outside, especially the AC fan; but is really quiet inside the cabin with windows rolled up
vikramvicky1984 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 22:39   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobalan View Post
DudeWithaFiat, thanks for the Pictures, the car look majestic.
btw, i also work at Technopark which makes easier for us to meet.
not sure how will i convey my contact.
I tried to send you a 'message through your e-mail', but got the message saying you haven't specified an e-mail address. Looks like your T-bhp status does not allow you an inbox here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
congrats. This one looks to be in superb nick.

Yet suggest - Also suggest you get the gear know replaced with a original new one if you can.

Also suggest you change all the rubber pipes etc in the engine bay - unless they have been replaced recently (last 3 years) by the previous owner.

Of course the tyres should be changed first up.
Thanks ACM. Yes, the gear knob is one of the first things that your eyes catch when you look inside. Replacing it with a new one will make a difference. Thanks for the idea.

About the rubber pieces, I'm taking her to service center tomorrow. Will keep this in mind.

Quote:
This Verna is the 1.4 diesel, not the 1.6 one (if that makes any different as far as NVH levels are concerned). In any case, like Vikram has pointed out, the cabin is quiet with windows rolled up, though the engine is noisy from outside.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 1st August 2013 at 22:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks