Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:01   #61
BHPian

re: The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post

Thanks ACM. Yes, the gear knob is one of the first things that your eyes catch when you look inside. Replacing it with a new one will make a difference. Thanks for the idea.
Do let me know how you manage the gear knob. I also need to get mine replaced. I have seen few cars with wooden knobs as well.

About grey leather seats and door pads, I have them OE on my car and they look and feel great. But I would suggest you to refrain from trying it. Stanley or anyone however good, will only be a replica and even though cloth, you have original stuff.
Your are unlikely to salvage it from a donor car, because if the donor car is un-restorable, the leather would definitely be in bad shape and if its good, rather buy the car and restore it all together.
In any case, you'll be spending a good amount, rather spend it on mechanicals, changing all oils (Mobil1 please),alloys and tyres.

When you change the wheels, do keep all the lug nuts ( you can give away extra ones to fellow owners like us). Alloys and steel rims need different sets (refer to the manual).
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:39   #62
BHPian

Hi DudewithaFiat, I have updated my settings so that you can send mail or download vcard.Please check
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:46   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Stanley or anyone however good, will only be a replica and even though cloth, you have original stuff.

When you change the wheels, do keep all the lug nuts ( you can give away extra ones to fellow owners like us). Alloys and steel rims need different sets (refer to the manual).
Forgot to show you guys this. This is the only problem with the upholstery. What can be done? This is on the drivers seat.

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-seat.jpg
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:27   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Do let me know how you manage the gear knob. I also need to get mine replaced. I have seen few cars with wooden knobs as well.

About grey leather seats and door pads, I have them OE on my car and they look and feel great. But I would suggest you to refrain from trying it. Stanley or anyone however good, will only be a replica and even though cloth, you have original stuff.
Your are unlikely to salvage it from a donor car, because if the donor car is un-restorable, the leather would definitely be in bad shape and if its good, rather buy the car and restore it all together.
In any case, you'll be spending a good amount, rather spend it on mechanicals, changing all oils (Mobil1 please),alloys and tyres.

If you manage find the original Gear Knob please let me know as well. I have a wooden one. I would also like to know weather the wooden Knob was a OE option, Dealer Accessory, or aftermarket job.

Most W124 I have seen have a wooden Knob.

Find a car Involved In a major accident.
The leather cards can be dismantled from the door. and also the seats even if twisted the leather can be taken back to original form.

Buy original Lug Nuts. They are about rs 800/ nut. Or take from the major accident car while getting the interior. I have already found a car which was impounded by police long back and I will be sourcing all the parts from that car. Will be buying In a auction.
Attached Thumbnails
The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-wp_20130719_006.jpg  

Last edited by manikjeet : 2nd August 2013 at 14:28.
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:12   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I would also like to know weather the wooden Knob was a OE option, Dealer Accessory, or aftermarket job.
It's after market. The original is the leather one with the shift markings on it. I can take a picture and show you if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Forgot to show you guys this. This is the only problem with the upholstery. What can be done? This is on the drivers seat.
The area inside the armrest of the back seat will have this material. Ask your upholstery guy to take a patch from there and replace it with black cloth and use that patch on the seat.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 2nd August 2013 at 19:15. Reason: Spelling.
Old 5th August 2013, 19:52   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobalan View Post
Hi DudewithaFiat, I have updated my settings so that you can send mail or download vcard.Please check
Have sent you an e-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
If you manage find the original Gear Knob please let me know as well. I have a wooden one. I would also like to know weather the wooden Knob was a OE option, Dealer Accessory, or aftermarket job.

Most W124 I have seen have a wooden Knob.

The leather cards can be dismantled from the door. and also the seats even if twisted the leather can be taken back to original form.

Buy original Lug Nuts. They are about rs 800/ nut. Or take from the major accident car while getting the interior. I have already found a car which was impounded by police long back and I will be sourcing all the parts from that car. Will be buying In a auction.
The only thing that I am going to buy for the merc immediately are the rubber mats for the time period (heavy rains here) and a tyre polisher. Anything else will have to wait for a couple of months/few weeks since I had to stretch my budget to acquire her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
The area inside the armrest of the back seat will have this material. Ask your upholstery guy to take a patch from there and replace it with black cloth and use that patch on the seat.
Thanks. Will be doing that soon.
Old 6th August 2013, 11:42   #67
BHPian

Just referred your thread to 5 of my relatives, they were so happy that I referred it because they really loved it!
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 15:20   #68
BHPian

Re: The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D

Amazing car, always great to see such heroes of the past still going strong on the roads and in our hearts. I had searched for a W124 myself but then dropped the plan due to lack of garage space. Really awesome shots of the German beauty. Looks a million bucks. Congrats.
Old 18th August 2015, 20:41   #69
BANNED

Hi DudeWithAFiat, how is the car running now? How much FE is delivering and how is it to live with day to day basis? I quite like it and am planning to purchase one soon but with the Auto box. Any inputs on that?
Old 18th August 2015, 21:40   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Hi DudeWithAFiat, how is the car running now? How much FE is delivering and how is it to live with day to day basis? I quite like it and am planning to purchase one soon but with the Auto box. Any inputs on that?
The automatic gives about 12 with mixed usage.

Have you found one? Is it 5981?
Old 18th August 2015, 21:43   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
The automatic gives about 12 with mixed usage.

Have you found one? Is it 5981?
Haha not yet. I am still in researching phase whether it is feasible for me as a college student to use it as a daily drive.
Old 18th August 2015, 21:48   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Haha not yet. I am still in researching phase whether it is feasible for me as a college student to use it as a daily drive.
Haha. Just assumed because your location is Noida, and that is where my car went with the new owner. You're a lucky boy.
It can be a daily drive, if you're passionate about cars and are willing to spend a lot of time INITIALLY to get the car into tip-top shape. That was my experience with my E250D Auto in college.

Head over to the W124 support thread for all your general queries.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed