Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 01:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
BTW, Where is your Ownership report? Did you get the news of the recall? any updates on that front do let me know.
I assume your referring to the brake issue. Didn't hear anything about the recall, in fact I don't think there's a recall yet. There's a different recall on 335is for limp mode.
Old 18th January 2014, 01:09   #47
BHPian

Re: From Munich (Germany) to the keys in my hand. Story of my BMW 328i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I assume your referring to the brake issue. Didn't hear anything about the recall, in fact I don't think there's a recall yet. There's a different recall on 335is for limp mode.
I called them and ran my VIN to check if it had any recalls and there were none.

On another note, i had my first brush of accident with my new car.

This happened on the 2nd, when there was a ICE storm predicted. Basically what happened was it rained pretty heavily and there were water puddles all over the place and sudden drop in temps resulted in all the water to become ICE + the predicted snow of 4-6 inches. I was returning from my office with my fresh new Michelin's X-Ice 3's installed on my 3 month old BMW and was in awe as how much difference the new shoes make in such a bad weather.

All my enthusiasm went down the drain, as I was standing on a signal and heard a loud thud. A 17 yr old kid hit my rear bumper with a bang. The temps were in negative's and I quickly went out of the car (to check the damage) only to fall down again on a sleet of ice. It was like a skating rink and I was standing with my formal shoes on it. There were two cop cars flashing lights standing at the junction already to control the traffic and warn other people which I think the kid never took any heed off.

He did not have a phone and neither an Insurance card. My hands were freezing and I could not notice much on the rear as it was too dark outside. I took his phone number and address and hoped that nothing is major.

After reaching home, I took an empty bottle filled with water and put it on my rear bumper to check the damage. The water froze in seconds and I could not take any pics. I decided then do it the next day in sunshine to gauge the damage. It was like my 3 month old kid was crying and I could not do anything.

Called the kid and he immediately handed it to his Mom to talk too. The lady said sorry a couple of times and said that I was very polite to talk too. I wonder, Did she read this before bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks-studies-find-by-yahoo

I told her what had happened and presented two options
1) Get an estimate and she pays for it
2) Let the Insurance guys handle it.

I got an estimate and involved me having a rental car and was a bit on a higher side, she decide to go route number 2. I am awaiting a reply/remuneration from the other Insurance Company as they are going to pay for it, since it was not my fault.

All in all, It was a pleasant experience with the lady/mom, which I think I am lucky, Since i had no proof of anything after the incident occurred.

OTOH, while speaking to my co-workers I came to know if I had registered a police complaint or if something was major the kid would have lost his license for 60 days or more.
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 02:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

Ouch! Sorry to read about that!!
But good to know that the damage was only superficial.

EDIT: I nearly made it to this list when today morning someone stopped suddenly when they saw an 18 wheeler stop in the next lane.

Last edited by amitoj : 18th January 2014 at 03:20.
Old 18th January 2014, 03:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Ouch thats bad to know. I was once banged by a Merc, both of us were backing out of a Walmart Parking lot, I saw him & stopped, he didnt :(

Guy was listening to loud music, came out said sorry & said hey no damage done all good. I was new so wasn't too sure but there was absolutely no marks or anything so let him go.
Old 18th January 2014, 04:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
OTOH, while speaking to my co-workers I came to know if I had registered a police complaint or if something was major the kid would have lost his license for 60 days or more.
Probably going , but that's the way it should have been IMHO. The kid is gonna walk free with a slap on his wrist from his mom, and wreck somebody else's car.

Unless there are stricter punishments handed out, these things WILL NOT CHANGE.
Old 18th January 2014, 04:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
The kid is gonna walk free with a slap on his wrist from his mom, and wreck somebody else's car.

Unless there are stricter punishments handed out, these things WILL NOT CHANGE.
If the kid's insurance company gets involved, trust me he is going to pay dearly!! Every month!
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 08:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

@Fraz33r That sucks! Hope the damage isn't too bad. Hats off to you for being kind and gentle on the kid. I would've blown it and regretted it later.
Old 19th January 2014, 00:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Ouch thats bad to know. I was once banged by a Merc, both of us were backing out of a Walmart Parking lot, I saw him & stopped, he didnt :(
Exactly same happened to me with my old civic. Unfortunately,here it was a lady driver and backing out of the parking lot w/o even looking in the rear view mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
The kid is gonna walk free with a slap on his wrist from his mom, and wreck somebody else's car.
I would not blame the kid. Probably it is his first time driving in snow/Icy conditions. Trust me, Even drivers with a ton of experience can get fooled by their vehicle's capacity in the snow. I have seen people who think their AWD cars are tanks and blasting through Icy tarmac to land in ditches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
@Fraz33r That sucks! Hope the damage isn't too bad. Hats off to you for being kind and gentle on the kid. I would've blown it and regretted it later.
If the car was atleast a couple years old, I probably would have let the kid walk as it was really an unfortunate day that all this happened. I don't what but the bumper seems to be pretty strong and swallowed the thud really well.
Old 20th January 2014, 00:37   #54
BHPian

What suspension is she on? Can you post a couple of side profile pics so I can get an idea of the ground clearance/stance.
Old 1st March 2014, 00:08   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
What suspension is she on? Can you post a couple of side profile pics so I can get an idea of the ground clearance/stance.
I have the standard suspension which comes with the base line Model. Some of the pics are added.

Additionally, I have Michelin Xice'3 for the snow and they have been amazing to say the least. This was probably one of the worst winters for NE and used to snow at least 2 days a week. I have never been more confident driving in the snow with my setup.

I love the Michelin's! But feel bad for my Car, for the amount of brutal weather it has to bear

From Munich (Germany) to the keys in my hand. Story of my BMW 328i RWD-20140219_083815.jpg

From Munich (Germany) to the keys in my hand. Story of my BMW 328i RWD-20140219_083826.jpg

From Munich (Germany) to the keys in my hand. Story of my BMW 328i RWD-20140220_083512.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks