Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2013, 09:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Hello Frank,

Heartiest congratulations on the swift.

Surprised to see you ommiting the Punto from your list, considering that there were good offers on the anvil. So how's the Civic feeling now since most of your attention is now showered on the swift.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:26   #32
BHPian

Congrats Frank, this new Swift is a beauty... The all black interiors with some awesome elegant lighting is a treat for the eyes...I recently convinced a close friend to go for a swift, petrol this time, he was too inclined for figo diesel. He is loving every bit of it. Enjoy your sports car... Just in case you look for a performance mod, I would suggest you to go for a ECU remap. But wait at least for 5000 kms and enjoy here in the stock condition.
Old 20th September 2013, 18:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Knew it was a typo Frank. I just got 195/60 R15 Michelin XM2 on our ZDi and it has totally transformed the car. Maybe Goodyear is better than the MRF ZVTV we had on our car.
Trust me. I was hoping with crossed fingers that I don't get the MRFs. I was even ok with Bridgestones. But I heaved a sigh of relief when my SA told me that the car was shod with Goodyear Duraplus. Spoke to my good friends at 4 Seasons Automobiles and they said that the Duraplus are actually good tires. Decided to stick with them, and the decision is a good one, as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hello Frank,

Heartiest congratulations on the swift.

Surprised to see you ommiting the Punto from your list, considering that there were good offers on the anvil. So how's the Civic feeling now since most of your attention is now showered on the swift.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
Hi, actually the Punto was never on my list. I am not a fan of the interiors and even the engine doesn't feel as sprightly as it does in the Swift. The nail in the coffin is the residual value of the Punto the moment it leaves the showroom, and if one goes to sell a car within 3 years, I doubt one would get much for a Fiat. Also, the A.S.S. is questionable and this time we decided that a brand new car would be serviced ONLY at A.S.S. till it served us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiya.c View Post
Congrats Frank, this new Swift is a beauty... The all black interiors with some awesome elegant lighting is a treat for the eyes...I recently convinced a close friend to go for a swift, petrol this time, he was too inclined for figo diesel. He is loving every bit of it. Enjoy your sports car... Just in case you look for a performance mod, I would suggest you to go for a ECU remap. But wait at least for 5000 kms and enjoy here in the stock condition.
Thanks mate.
The Race Dynamics Dieseltronics box is the next step. I would love to go in for a Green Cotton filter with a Dynamisation Kit, but I doubt they sell those in India anymore.
Old 20th September 2013, 22:19   #34
BHPian

It is after a long time that somebody has bought a Swift with the Dzire cannibalizing into the former's territory. Congrats. The car looks super cool in Black, although maintenance could be an issue.
Happy miles with the car. Also, did you have a look at the limited edition XDi variant which has been recently launched?
Old 20th September 2013, 23:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
It is after a long time that somebody has bought a Swift with the Dzire cannibalizing into the former's territory. Congrats. The car looks super cool in Black, although maintenance could be an issue.
Happy miles with the car. Also, did you have a look at the limited edition XDi variant which has been recently launched?
The xdi variant is an accessory pack add on over the vdi. It's a dealer variant. ;-)
And the Dzire was always a more practical option. But when a few things appeal to the heart, the mind just doesn't have a chance.
Old 20th September 2013, 23:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude! Back to the Maruti, but with an oil burner this time

You did everything to stick to being a petrohead.

Cant wait to see the upgrades you have planned for the Swiftie!

Drive safe!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 00:04   #37

Frank, firstly congratulations for the gorgeous new "Black Beauty", secondly an excellently elaborate and detailed write-up. I was glued to the thread till the end and read it in one go.

I have now clocked 1L plus on my “Bug” (Read Swift (D)) in the less than 5 years of ownership and now also have a Ford Figo (TDI) in my stable amongst other cars in the past. I could only fascinatingly relate, when you made the comparison with the various vehicles that you test drove and couldn’t agree with you enough when it comes to the agility and the firmness of a Swift on the highways and specially the bends.

Just an advise, do switch over to a synthetic engine oil for once to feel the difference in the engine performance, I did so on my Bug when she clocked 60K following the advice of our fellow BHPians and I was only impressed. I know you have already been through the “Swift” threads but just wanted to share my two cents.

Happy Driving…Cheers!!!
Nikhil_Kapil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 00:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the really kind words. Went to tank her up at the Bharat Petroleum bunk near my house and fueled up for a small outstation trip tomorrow. Had done 400 km this week and a full tank cut off happened within only 22 litres!
That's an astounding average of 18.2 kmpl with only the fourth tankful and at a very young age of only 1600 km. Great economy achieved in maximum comfort with a/c on at all times and mixed roads, some with no traffic and some with lots of bumper to bumper traffic. Superb, IMHO.
Old 21st September 2013, 18:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Update:
News Flash: Contrary to what other threads mention, the Swift Diesel indeed comes with Mineral oil from the factory and doesn't warrant a shift to Synthetic, unless really demanded by the customer. My Service Advisor says that oil changes will be done with the company recommended MGA mineral oil only and doesn't want me to spend unnecessarily on Synthetic oil.[/b]
Congratulations on the new possession. The black looks so majestic and stands out of the crowd.

Thanks for the information frankmehta. Even I am thinking of switching back to mineral oil (after an engine flush) at my next service interval after falling to the synthetic oil mandatory gimmick earlier. Mineral makes sense economically as well as practically. I can get mineral oil with oil filter changed every 5k km and still save money instead of lugging synthetic oil for 10k km.

Could you please elaborate from where did you procure the number plate frame. And how you were able to get the HSRP plate without the mandatory rivets from the installation center? Up here in Delhi, the installation center is very strict in drilling holes and affixing the number plates with rivets right there. Have seen many a vehicles with slanting HSRP plates due to fault of hurried installer. Would like to get the same arrangement as on your car.

Secondly, are the door scuff plates from maruti genuine accessories(MGA) or aftermarket? The one's available in market are either illuminated ones (dont like these, neither in favor of splicing wiring to power them) and the non illuminated ones in the market are not of very nice quality (cost cutting). If this is an MGA product, I would definitely want them too.

Again, lovely ride there friend and very practical, sensible and thought after mods.

Regards

Last edited by Grr7 : 21st September 2013 at 18:21. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 21st September 2013, 21:15   #40
BHPian

Congrats on the black beauty. Very detailed write up, very interesting to read.
Looks like i am sailing in a similar boat ( Swift Vdi & Civic MT). Although my swift is 2010 model one (more untamed than the newer one i guess :-)).

The exteriors of the newer model is the only thing i am jealous of :-) It looks superb in black. My SA says that they have reduced the weight of the newer model and make the power delivery linear to bump up the mileage. That is great mileage for such a new engine. Was it only city drives with a/c ?

Just watch out for the even mileage services 20k,40,60, etc to make sure the MASS does not rip you off & the rest is paisa vasool as far as the car goes. By the way new swift's are mandated to use synthetics ? Another tip to watch out for.

Happy riding and enjoy the corners :-)
Adi22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 01:29   #41
BHPian

Congrats FrankMehta!

I too have a ZDI (Pearl White). Your review was exhaustive & accurate.

Swift ZDI is truly superb - unlike most of Maruti's offerings. Handling is really sharp, in fact, friends who use larger upmarket cars are amazed by the New Swift's handling. I've cruised at 150 km/hr a few times & the car inspire confidence while egging you to go faster. I don't endorse such insane speeds on our roads though. And yes! the AC is a chiller despite it being of a smaller capacity compared to ex: Figo.

-ve's for me are:
a. Lousy Horn
b. Noisy MRF tyres (OE tyres that came with the car)
c. Thin window glass - had it come with a thicker type, I'm sure it would've isolated exterior noise almost fully (like the New Fiesta)

So enjoy your black beauty.

~Issac
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Could you please elaborate from where did you procure the number plate frame. And how you were able to get the HSRP plate without the mandatory rivets from the installation center? Up here in Delhi, the installation center is very strict in drilling holes and affixing the number plates with rivets right there. Have seen many a vehicles with slanting HSRP plates due to fault of hurried installer. Would like to get the same arrangement as on your car.

Secondly, are the door scuff plates from maruti genuine accessories(MGA) or aftermarket? The one's available in market are either illuminated ones (dont like these, neither in favor of splicing wiring to power them) and the non illuminated ones in the market are not of very nice quality (cost cutting). If this is an MGA product, I would definitely want them too.

Regards
HSRP's are available at all local no. plate dealers in Mumbai. There is nothing 'high security' about them. They just look good. Mine are in the black frame which costs 200 rupees each. Reduces the chances of the plates getting bent.
As for the sill plates, they are MGA. They were fit on my car before delivery by the Maruti dealership only. Original, and with good finishing. Looks quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysam View Post
Congrats FrankMehta!

I too have a ZDI (Pearl White). Your review was exhaustive & accurate.

Swift ZDI is truly superb - unlike most of Maruti's offerings. Handling is really sharp, in fact, friends who use larger upmarket cars are amazed by the New Swift's handling. I've cruised at 150 km/hr a few times & the car inspire confidence while egging you to go faster. I don't endorse such insane speeds on our roads though. And yes! the AC is a chiller despite it being of a smaller capacity compared to ex: Figo.

-ve's for me are:
a. Lousy Horn
b. Noisy MRF tyres (OE tyres that came with the car)
c. Thin window glass - had it come with a thicker type, I'm sure it would've isolated exterior noise almost fully (like the New Fiesta)

So enjoy your black beauty.

~Issac
I am getting a pair of new horns fit in place of this lousy horn. It's pathetic! Almost as if the car has a sore throat!!
I am lucky to have got Goodyear Duraplus tires. I know how bad it feels to get the MRF's. They are bad in all respects.
Sometimes I feel manufacturers create a divide between owners buying the SAME trim levels by giving different tires, thereby making a few people extremely happy to get one particular brand, and a set of people annoyed, for getting the lousier brand. Sometimes makes people feel shortchanged. The guy who gets MRF has paid the SAME amount as the guy who gets Goodyears. It's really not a pleasant feeling.

UPDATE:
  • Just got back from a 500 km round trip in 2 days. Fantastic performance from the car. Great airconditioning, and immense comfort for us in the front row. The people in the back were complaining of less legroom, upright seating and horrible headrests. I agree with all of the above. The rear seat in the Swift is not the best place to be in, for longer drives. It's not uncomfortable, but that feeling of claustrophobia does creep in.
  • The car was climbing ghaats effortlessly and sliding her through corners was putting a large smile on my face.
  • The ride was exemplary, even on bad stretches and the car did a commendable job even at 120-130 kmph, sticking to roads like a leech.
  • The horn is pathetic and not meant for the highway.
  • The stock headlights (low beam) are woefully inadequate, and while I am at it, i intend to replace even the high beam. Philips 100/90 bulbs with Hella relay soon.
  • The boot 'swallowed' our bags, but we were packing light, so swallowed is a tad bit exaggerated term.
  • The engine clatter has increased a little bit and I know why. I fueled up at the BP bunk near my house, and I now know that the HP bunk opposite it is better!
  • I did 499.7 km and have used up 25 litres of diesel, with 4 persons on board, full ac at all times, some ghaat climbs and a couple of intra city jaunts (one hour without shifting to fourth gear!) alongwith slowing down completely for a fair share of bad roads. A fuel efficiency of 20 kmpl
  • I am very happy!!!!!!

The Mileage of the car now stands @ 2100 kms.

Last edited by frankmehta : 22nd September 2013 at 23:02.
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:32   #43
BHPian

Excellent review Frank, wish I could write like you do.
I do agree that the VW Polo is an well built vehicle with superb driveability. It's only the A.S.S part that has let them down. It's a pity seeing it languish at bottom of sales charts since it's so well built and so refined.

Congrats on your new purchase, the swift has always been an excellent handler and a driver's car. It would serve you well.
Keep updating us all...
appu.bhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 21:49   #44
BHPian

Hey frank!
Congrats on your new possession, and for that very comprehensive, yet neat write up.
Me myself waiting for the same Midnight Black Swift ZDi, i`m getting more and more excited reading about your ownership reports and other details.

Glued to this thread, Keep us posted.
k_shanz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 13:04   #45
BHPian

Hi Frank,

Congrats on your Zdi. I own a 2012 Zdi in Torque Blue. Black would have been my second choice. You're lucky with the delivery because I waited SEVEN months! I also second your opinion on the tires. I got my car with MRF's and drove straight to Premji's, Mahim who swapped them for Durapluses at no cost (brand new v/s brand new). The Duraplus even looks good on the sidewall

The rattle from the boot area may be your parcel tray which is of truly shocking quality. Otherwise (I found this out after 5k) loose stuff like the safety triangle and spare bulbs sometimes bounce around in the spare wheel well.

As far as mileage is concerned I've gotten between 15.5 and 24.3 in the life of my car. Odo now at 23,200 and everything works without a rattle. Only the front suspension sounds a little crashy when hitting a pothole with the steering turned. Straight on is soundless.

Excellent car. Everytime I think I should have considered the options you've mentioned, I'm reminded of how good this is.

Do consider polishing your car regularly. Black looks really good if it's maintained well.

Cheers!
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks