Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:53   #1
BHPian

My VW Polo GT TSI 7-Speed DSG

What I like about it:
  • Refined 4 cylinder motor with a rev happy turbo with segment beating performance
  • Muted styling making it easy to judge & manoeuvre in heavy traffic conditions
  • Acceptable ride and handling for both the enthusiast and comfort seeking drivers
  • The addition of ESP and the Hill Hold function is an welcome addition
  • Excellent sales, after sales and service that makes me go back to them. Hyundai and most Maruti dealers with the exception of Sai Service have failed to impress me.

What I am trying to deal with:
  • Braking takes getting used do
  • The DQ200 DSG. I believe I have read sufficiently to understand the risks, and made a decision to buy
  • The ECU gives you very little control over the gearing. Its like Apple telling me what I should have and do with my iPad
Attached Thumbnails
My VW Polo GT TSI 7-Speed DSG-image.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2013 at 11:57. Reason: Not electronic brakes :)
NevGin is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 00:08   #2
BHPian

re: My VW Polo GT TSI 7-Speed DSG

The considerations to buy my 3rd Volkswagen:
  • There was little to compare in the segment of hatchbacks with automatic transmissions
  • I haven’t been much of a Hyundai styling fan even though I had an i10. My Skoda Fabia ownership was a 12 month torture. I have owned two Swift’s previously. Hence the GT was a good fit to my requirement.
  • Early adoption of the VW brand after it was launched in India and with a lot of support from our very own @Chethan BG, gave me confidence
  • My brother in law and me both updated each other on our readings and then came to the conclusion that this would be a relatively safe buy

To book and pray that you’ve done the right thing:

VW launched the GT and it was something that I was just waiting to happen. Frankly, I did not expect VW to play around with the engine configurations so much but this was a breath of fresh air along with a 7 speed DSG. I hesitated at first as I read extensively on the DQ 100 and was very skeptical. Not satisfied, I went into the technical learning of the DSG and mechatronics.

Having justified it to myself, I went to book it only to learn that I was too late and the initial lot was completely sold out. When the Polo TDI was launched, I had waited 12 weeks for it to be delivered. This time was no different. So I booked the TSI GT anyway and waited 8 weeks.

Before and during the booking period, my wife and I took numerous test drives. Don't ask me why but we just did. VW Downtown, has really nice people and always obliged. This was the prayer bit where each time we questioned if it was the right thing to have done.

7 weeks later…

At the end of the 7th week, I went to the VW Downtown showroom to ask if my car had been manufactured and allotted to me in their order system. My initial color choices were White and Black in that order of preference. I was told that there were 6 more white cars ahead of me to be delivered and that each time they sent a lot, white was the least. I was assured that the color black would be more readily available.

At the end of the 8th week the car was available. It was at this point that I sold my Polo TDI. She had 34,000 km. on the odometer and just short of 3 years. I got a good price for it as she was in pristine condition save the tires that needed a change.

I arrived at the showroom on the agreed date and everything was as expected; smooth, on time, a well cleaned car and friendly people of VW Downtown. It’s just great to have wonderful people around you. It makes the event so much more special. As things had it, I bought the Black TSI and my brother in law got his Red TSI one day later. There were a bunch of other TSI deliveries the same day as well. The pavement outside was swarming with the GT TSI. I even congratulated some other new owners and had a chat with many of them.

Last edited by NevGin : 23rd September 2013 at 23:37.
NevGin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 00:17   #3
BHPian

The first impressions of my own Black colored hatchback with a turbo charged petrol engine and a dual clutch transmission…Just awesome! Could it get any better?

Though the car is externally identical to the other Polo's, the interiors are a refreshing change. All black interiors are my favorite, and, this was as close as I could get. The upholstery is also very tasteful and the touch of adding artificial leather at the sides and back were an excellent idea. I wish the cream glove box and door accents were also black.

The shiny, almost patent leather kind of trim around the air vents and the radio is something I don't like. I preferred the older plastic look. The driver seating position seems lower and is less padded when I compare it to my older Polo. No Dead Pedal. I'm not sure if I miss it bit I feel the need for one

The equipment in and on the car:

The new car radio is a good touch connecting effortlessly with the phone and has very good sound quality during a call. Somehow the quality of Stereo FM oscillates between excellent and mediocre depending on the area of the city I am driving in. Also on my Vento, when the reverse gear is engaged, the music automatically reduces volume and allows me to concentrate on the beeps of the reverse sensor. In the GT, the music volume is just the same and I have to mute it when reversing. There has got to be some setting to this

The smoked look especially classy on the black colored GT. I really wish they had the LED HIDs as an option as well. That would have been my first upgrade. I have not bothered with the tires as on both my other VWs, they have done well. Not the best but they don't complain when pushed hard. They have a fine balance. I was comfortable with the TDI at 175 and the Vento at 180 with these tires so I have let them be.

All images from my Canon Camcorder.

Front view with a transfer filter

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2013 at 15:03. Reason: Merging posts
NevGin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 01:31   #4
BHPian

Driving impressions after ~700 Kms:

The DSG up shifts are very smooth but the downshift is something that I am hoping the car will improve on based on my driving style. It feels like a downshift with a somewhat quick release of the clutch. While that is fine, I would have liked a smoother down shift. But then I guess if the car is being braked hard it would down shift faster.

The manual mode is interesting and I like it most of the times. But it behaves unfairly. It keeps me in 1st gear longer than I need to be whereas in drive mode, it will up shift to second faster. So for traffic etc like situations, D mode is the best. The Sport mode really does pull the revs and this is where this car is quick. It holds the gear for very long. So much so that it refused to move to 7th gear even at 180 and felt it had some push left in it.

Brake pedal. I don't like to dismiss new technology simply because I am not used to it. Having said that the braking is something I am still getting used to. I will admit that it is taking me time to accurately measure when to start depressing the brake. For now I am on it slightly earlier than I usually would like to be and that is standing me in good stead. I also feel that since the pads are relatively new, they will need time to break in and offer full traction on the discs and drum. This is new alright and will need time to adjust.

The Electronic Stability Program (ESP) is very nice to have this on the car. I got to use it on day one of my GT ownership. I was coming off the sea link around a blind turn and suddenly saw a person frantically waving. There was a broken down car about 10 feet behind him. I had to brake hard and the ESP came into play and "drove" the car in the correct direction. It was almost like a little side slide and my wife was also quick to notice it when this happened.

The ride quality is excellent but I still intend to change to Bilstein B6 a little later and also change to red Brembo callipers. I need to figure out from where to source them and will start a separate thread when I take up this project.
For now, I am still playing around to get the correct tyre pressure but I have no complaints on the steering feel. Probably I am used to it.

The 2 second hill hold function is very useful when you are at a stand still on an upward slope. However even on a flat surface with no inclines, getting the car moving take 2 seconds and if you want to dash out then it's not smooth. I need to read and test more on this.

The turbo spools very quickly and I don't feel any lag in acceleration. The engines got a good note both at low as well as high RPM. The mileage. It's too early to tell. So far it has been about 12 km/l. But this included 2 days of 5 hour drives because of visarjan traffic.

Some other observations:

To further add a few more findings. Then horn. It's a shrill and loud single horn that VW Passat's used to have in yester years. Sounds lovely and a nice change from what we call a double horn. There is a recess in front of the cup holders to put in small things. This is now lit with a light with similar colour to the dashboard. Though it looks neat, it gets very hot in that recess and putting my charging cell phone there concerns me. VW has added a cigarette lighter in addition to the socket. The addition of the OE Scuff plates with the TSI badge on them looks smart.

I am unable to pair my iPad to the Bluetooth audio. I don't know how. It says no Bluetooth audio found. It seems like I will need to use it with a 3.5 mm jack rather than over Bluetooth. By the way I am one of the few ones that feel that iOS 7 is a step in the wrong direction.

Once again I got a full toolset with the car unlike the one they skimped on when I took delivery of the Vento. How I'd wish they put German shocks and springs on these cars. If they can have a German Varta battery, they can sure put some nice shocks and springs. Also, there is a recess in the boot for what looks like to be a holder for the emergency triangle. Looks odd just being empty.

I would have liked some more sound dampening to be done. I have always felt that the rubber and felt beading in around the doors of the Polo and Vento are not sufficient or substandard. The rubber to begin with is not supple and too hard thus not allowing it to do the job it is intended for. There are a few strips of sound dampening matting in the boot but could do with some more. I am considering putting some Dynamat myself.

The quality of the stock headlight bulb is a great improvement. However Power Bulbs is in the process of shipping me some new ones. I also don't feel that the addition of paddle shifts will help me drive this car better reason being if the DSG is going to always act on its own terms and give me little control, what motivation would I have to spend that kind of money? I don't like those supposedly sporty pedals. I could use some more surface area along with some more grip.

Overall I am thrilled to have the GT TSI and am looking forward to planning my first long drive.

Last edited by NevGin : 23rd September 2013 at 23:44.
NevGin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 14:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: Thread moved from Assembly Line to Initial Ownerships section. Thanks for sharing!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 16:56   #6
BHPian

Re: My VW Polo GT TSI 7-Speed DSG

Aah ! Yet another Polo GT on Team-BHP. Heartiest Congratulations!

The more reviews you read online, the more you analyze any car, the more negative you start thinking. Human tendency you see. A car is an experience to be enjoyed and relished in every way. Really liked the fact that you are one of those rare species who has had a flawless experience with VW. Good decision I must say. Just forget the ghosts of mechatronics/DSG forever and enjoy your ride.

It sure looks dazzling in Black.

BTW how much did it cost you on-road and how efficient (tankful to tankful) is it in Mumbai on our daily route?
(also tell what is your route)

Last edited by rahulsharma2008 : 24th September 2013 at 16:59.
Old 24th September 2013, 17:10   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your car beautifully black. There are very few cars I liked the very first time I drove it. GT is undoubtedly the best hatch out there. With a phenomenal gearbox.i still have my eye on it. All the best.
Old 24th September 2013, 17:22   #8
BHPian

Congratulations, NevGin! I am one step closer to booking one for me, thanks to your thread. Black looks awesome on Polo. Good to know that your experinece with the dealership was great. It is same here in Pune in case of VW Pune West.
Old 24th September 2013, 17:38   #9
BHPian

Congratulations mate, fine choice indeed. Pictures taken on carter road?
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 18:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations and a good review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post

What I am trying to deal with:
  • Electronic braking takes getting used do
What does the above mean? As far as i know this car has normal brakes, what is the electronic brakes your are referring to?
Old 24th September 2013, 20:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I think he is referring to EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution) here?
And by "getting used to" I believe he is referring to the braking efficiency of the car with ABS+EBD and apply apt pressure on the pedals to be able to stop rather than stand on the brake Pedal (experience of driving cars owned earlier); Unless this is something new with Braking that I am hearing for the first time.
Old 24th September 2013, 23:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post

BTW how much did it cost you on-road and how efficient (tankful to tankful) is it in Mumbai on our daily route?
(also tell what is your route)
Thanks. 9.26 on road. Daily destination is to Vikhroli through all possible routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Congrats on your car beautifully black.
Thanks Abhishek. In hindsight black was good choice but will be a difficult to maintain

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Congratulations, NevGin! I am one step closer to booking one for me, thanks to your thread.
Thanks skyliner. Book it. It's nearly as good as the airplane picture on your profile. By the way which one is it? An older Cessna Citation or a Bobardier Challenger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Congratulations mate, fine choice indeed. Pictures taken on carter road?
Thanks and yes the pictures are taken on carter road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratulations and a good review

What does the above mean? As far as i know this car has normal brakes, what is the electronic brakes your are referring to?
Thanks Jaggu. My understanding of the GTs braking system is that it's a kind of electrohydraulic brake system which has a travel sensor and a pressure sensor. The pedal travel sensor also provides electronic feedback to your foot and the feedback is not from the master cylinder as in conventional cars. Of course this needs confirmation from the experts.

Last edited by NevGin : 24th September 2013 at 23:47.
Old 25th September 2013, 00:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Many Many congratulations NevGin and have a blast. she looks stunning in black more so given your photographs!
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 01:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks skyliner. Book it. It's nearly as good as the airplane picture on your profile. By the way which one is it? An older Cessna Citation or a Bobardier Challenger?
I really want to. Only problem is that I just can't let go my current ride, which is a Polo 1.6. I hope I come out of this dilemma soon .

And it is bombardier Cseries BD500 aircraft. My team developed it's body to wing fairing tooling. Last week was the test flight and it was successful! Hence the avatar.
Old 25th September 2013, 09:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Abhishek. In hindsight black was good choice but will be a difficult to maintain .
I have a black city. So I can understand when you say it will be difficult to maintain. Strongly suggest you get some wax or what ever suits you meguiars tech wax paste or what ever catches your fancy. Do keep it waxed instead of starting to do it after 6 months or a year by which the swirl marks are already painfully evident. Be careful black is the color that shows dirt so quickly once you have cleaned it that your tempted to wipe it again which is going to cause swirl marks slowly.
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed