Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2013, 19:13   #46
BHPian

Re: Bringing home a future Classic! BMW E46 320i 2.2L Straight-6

Congratulations on finally snagging a car that you have clearly coveted. The initial parts of your post where you followed cars and tried to convince the existing owners to sell was quite something.

I can totally relate to your gas guzzling woes. Its a similar story with my V6. Regular city use yields 6.2, while back to back traffic delivers a scary 5.5. The highway runs are a lot more comforting, ~10.

Enjoy your Beemer; Cheers!
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
Hi

Congratulations on the purchase. We could all see the passion and the keen desire to own an E46. Very few have that single minded focus while searching for a car. Keeping it stock is a good idea always. In fact, i would go as far as to say that 'keeping it stock will be a task enough, over the years', provided of course, it is a long term ownership plan.

Have written to German Plates to see if they can add India to their list of International plates, then we can have the tricolour and the IND on our plates. Personally not comfortable running another country's flag on my car, however much different or cool it looks.

I'm sure, following your example, there will be a sudden surge of inquiries from the sub-continent.
Thanks! I love the idea of the the Tricolour on those plates. The idea for getting the german plates was because the car was manufactured there. It just seems right that the numberplate also comes from there with that font. Giving it some sentimental value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualdanger View Post
Congratulations on finally snagging a car that you have clearly coveted. The initial parts of your post where you followed cars and tried to convince the existing owners to sell was quite something.

I can totally relate to your gas guzzling woes. Its a similar story with my V6. Regular city use yields 6.2, while back to back traffic delivers a scary 5.5. The highway runs are a lot more comforting, ~10.

Enjoy your Beemer; Cheers!
Now i feel soooooo much better hearing that!

Guys bad news! So i had the boot opened of the car, to get the karcher out. Had a bunch of things going on, trying to mount the gopro on the karcher and just before i shut the boot i realised the key is in there. So now im screwed with a locked car and no key!

I've called up Ayush a friend from infinity Cars BMW and he has graciously ordered me a new key. Phew! Thats the good news. The bad news is, its going to take about 2 weeks to come. So now every morning, i see her, sitting pretty under my building, unable to take her out for a drive or to work! :(

Patience, Patience.
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer_C View Post
Thanks! I love the idea of the the Tricolour on those plates. The idea for getting the german plates was because the car was manufactured there. It just seems right that the numberplate also comes from there with that font. Giving it some sentimental value.

Now i feel soooooo much better hearing that!

Guys bad news! So i had the boot opened of the car, to get the karcher out. Had a bunch of things going on, trying to mount the gopro on the karcher and just before i shut the boot i realised the key is in there. So now im screwed with a locked car and no key!

I've called up Ayush a friend from infinity Cars BMW and he has graciously ordered me a new key. Phew! Thats the good news. The bad news is, its going to take about 2 weeks to come. So now every morning, i see her, sitting pretty under my building, unable to take her out for a drive or to work! :(

Patience, Patience.
Why are you locked out? The boot can be opened without the key no? Just pull on the boot door handle and done. A new key can be quite expensive if you're ordering the remote fob too.
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:16   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
Why are you locked out? The boot can be opened without the key no? Just pull on the boot door handle and done. A new key can be quite expensive if you're ordering the remote fob too.
Nope doesn't work if the car is locked which it is since I only opened the boot at the time.

Don't know how much the key costs but I'm getting the cheaper key without the fob.
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:54   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Nope doesn't work if the car is locked which it is since I only opened the boot at the time.

Don't know how much the key costs but I'm getting the cheaper key without the fob.
Did you try with some keywallahs in Mumbai?
There are plenty around and I feel some pro ones could be able to help you. Ask around on the forum for references.

P.S.: Get at least two keys next time
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Did you try with some keywallahs in Mumbai?
There are plenty around and I feel some pro ones could be able to help you. Ask around on the forum for references.

P.S.: Get at least two keys next time
I did, but only to see if they could make a new key from the existing keyhole in the boot. I dont want them to put those wedge pillows and open the door a bit to try to reach the handle, too scared of messing up the alignment of the car. Also, you cant put the seats down of this car from inside (only from the boot) so its pointless to even get the door opened. Didn't want to take any chances.

Yeah, i know when i got the car the man said he had only one key and i was going to make another soon, but that was kept on the back burner. Turns out, not a good idea.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:10   #52
BHPian

Hi Sameer,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal with the key. That must have been distressing.

However, at this point, I must announce the good news, that soon after your dream came true, I myself hit upon (After a real long and patient wait) a very pristine and face-lifted 2004 E46 325i here in Mumbai. I do not want to hijack your thread and hence can put up pictures only with your consent.
Obviously, the keys of my 316i or 325i may not work to open your car, but in the worst case scenario please do feel free to borrow them and give it a try.
As I am also in Bandra, am hoping to catch up and share our personal experiences with these beauties.

Cheers!
Rony Vesuna
Old 24th October 2013, 22:38   #53
BHPian

Quote:

Ah, good luck man. Sucks being locked out. I cycle to work most of these days as I wait for the registration to get done with, and man I cannot take my eyes off the car every time I get to take a look at it! The e46 shape is just drop dead sexy. And the darker colour on your car with those number plates, I can only imagine
Old 8th November 2013, 15:09   #54
BHPian

i am in talks with a e46 owner,its a 330D,seeing it since new,its the only BMW i like after the E38. keeping fingers crossed
Old 8th November 2013, 15:25   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Hi Sameer,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal with the key. That must have been distressing.

However, at this point, I must announce the good news, that soon after your dream came true, I myself hit upon (After a real long and patient wait) a very pristine and face-lifted 2004 E46 325i here in Mumbai. I do not want to hijack your thread and hence can put up pictures only with your consent.
Obviously, the keys of my 316i or 325i may not work to open your car, but in the worst case scenario please do feel free to borrow them and give it a try.
As I am also in Bandra, am hoping to catch up and share our personal experiences with these beauties.

Cheers!
Rony Vesuna
Hi Rony, sorry for replying so late, i didnt check the thread for a while, but pictures please! and Yes we definitely should meet (once my key comes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
i am in talks with a e46 owner,its a 330D,seeing it since new,its the only BMW i like after the E38. keeping fingers crossed
Nandishpal, Wow! a 330d! If you aren't willing to take the hit PM me the details please
Old 8th November 2013, 15:30   #56
BHPian

Nandishpal, Wow! a 330d! If you aren't willing to take the hit PM me the details please [/quote]

Sure deal,but i think i will keep it when available,this is the post facelift with the three spoke steering wheel,do you by any chance know the upgrade list in post face lift???
Old 8th November 2013, 15:30   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sameer,

Congratulations on your acquisition of the e46, its a gem for sure

Im sure the straight 6 with 170 odd horses to play with will be silky smooth.

Try to keep the exterior as simple / stock as possible or stick to M Performance parts only

Enjoy !
Old 8th November 2013, 16:09   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Sure deal,but i think i will keep it when available,this is the post facelift with the three spoke steering wheel,do you by any chance know the upgrade list in post face lift???
Ok here goes (as far as i know, there could be more)

3 spoke wheel: Ideally its the 330d M Sport. Comes with the wheel, black trim & lovely automatic sports seats. (Probably alcantara/leather mix) This is a big guess, but could be altered to the original owners taste.

Corner Lights: Facelift front corner lights are tilted towards the top, more like The Non facelift corner lights are like :(

Front Bumper: You'd have the M bumper so you cant really tell from that, but the stock bumpers came with flat lights on the prefacelift and round flush on the post.

Speedo: The prefacelift had a more slanted (Sporty) font on the speedo compared to the post. Plus im guessing you will also have the lovely brushed silver gauge rings. (Not available on 320s/325s)

Thats what i can think of at the top of my head.

BTW that is probably one of the most rare e46's in the country. When you get it please first get this done. http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?m...33&variant=117

You'll look amazing and be untouchable on the road with that power/weight performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hi Sameer,

Congratulations on your acquisition of the e46, its a gem for sure

Im sure the straight 6 with 170 odd horses to play with will be silky smooth.

Try to keep the exterior as simple / stock as possible or stick to M Performance parts only

Enjoy !
Keeping it bone stock with very very small upgrades. Whatever i do will be just to keep it well maintained. Only uprate the mechanicals when need changing thats it.

I'm trying to debadge it, the problem is, as i can see it seems to have eaten into the paint. I'm going to attach a picture soon when i go down and will need help figuring out if i can debadge it or not.
Old 8th November 2013, 16:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
WOW! an e46 330d, has to be the only one in the country! An e39 with a 3.0d is very rare in India, e46 with 3.0d.. never seen. Please ensure its a clean import and all the specs are right!

Cheers!
Old 8th November 2013, 16:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
WOW! an e46 330d, has to be the only one in the country! An e39 with a 3.0d is very rare in India, e46 with 3.0d.. never seen. Please ensure its a clean import and all the specs are right!

Cheers!
i dont think this is the only 1 in the country maverick5490
when i bought my w140 i thought there are few & now there are endless,
i thought the same for the S600 V12,but there are more than 10 cars of w140 S600.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks