Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2014, 00:42   #76
BHPian

Re: "Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)

So, its been a while since I updated whats happening to Herr Kampfpanzer!

Apart from the fact that he's been a spectacular daily driver. He has also been more than eager to do duty as airport pick and drop, general drop, work car as well as preening and posing car!

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-milestone-124.jpg
HKmpf being a 124 series has also now completed 124000k a couple of days ago!!!

In other news, a week ago, I was squeezing in towards the fathest corner of a narrow lane, when a hidden damn fool rock came up and screeched the Wald bumper with a large, horrid looking gash.

That has now been rectified. Internal beautification is almost complete. So

1, front speaker grilles have been scrubbed and painted.
2. meter console opened up and cleaned to a very high standard.
3. All 4 disk brakes overhauled. New shoes in the front while all 4 disks have been ground and sanded down.

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-new-meters.jpg

Pictures are on their way, but till then, I have something to show you!

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 22nd February 2014 at 01:06.
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 18:52   #77
BHPian

Hey,
I think I saw you today. You were taking a U turn on Goregaon link road. Must say the car is huge and it looks awesome. I was in a rocky beige Thar.
Old 15th August 2014, 16:33   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey,
I think I saw you today. You were taking a U turn on Goregaon link road. Must say the car is huge and it looks awesome. I was in a rocky beige Thar.
Thank you for the compliments kind sir, and yup it would have been me - because I actually live on the Goregaon link road...

Should have waved big guy, we'd have had a bit of a chin wag
So for next time - "minddd itttt and remember to shout da..."
Old 16th August 2014, 14:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Thank you for the compliments kind sir, and yup it would have been me - because I actually live on the Goregaon link road...

I also have spotted the HKMPF in Goregaon link road some time back.
I also stay in the same locality. Would be so nice to catch up some time.

Nevertheless , it has been a very interesting read for mortal like me.
Wish you many many more happy mile crunching in the tank.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 09:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
A month and 13 days of Herr Kampfpanzer being home.

* Sweet little Christian aunties from Malad, who wave as I drive past them in their auto rickshaws.

* Boy racers, who zig zag out in front of me, as they check the man out from all possible angles on the move.

* The man getting his new shiny pointy end at the workshop and the sales manager walking up, introducing himself and complementing the state of the car…followed by a sales rep (a lady to boot!) seeing me off as I drove out, smiling as she simply (and unabashedly) said, “lovely car!”

It really does get a little bit too much! And all this for a price lower than a new swift! *Sheesh*
Oh man, I can relate a lot to most of them

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 17th August 2014 at 09:42.
Old 15th October 2014, 22:20   #81
BHPian

Quote:

I saw you again today at around2.30pm. Was in my Innova behind you at Inorbit signal, we were together till you took a left at Evershine Mall. I tried honking,flashing lights but you gave way instead. I even tried coming next to you on the signal and call out but all in vain!
Next time will get down and knock on the window
BTW please get your exhaust muffler tightened it's a bit loose. And my dad loved the car too!
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 21:28   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I saw you again today at around2.30pm. Was in my Innova behind you at Inorbit signal, we were together till you took a left at Evershine Mall. I tried honking,flashing lights but you gave way instead. I even tried coming next to you on the signal and call out but all in vain!
Next time will get down and knock on the window
BTW please get your exhaust muffler tightened it's a bit loose. And my dad loved the car too!
Ooops...my bad! If you were honking, I must have thought you were in a rush and got the hell out of the way (I'd also probably have been cussing at you like a particularly colourful sailor, but that's another matter!!!)

As far as the muffler goes, it does hang down a wee bit, because it's actually a carlsson exhaust backbox and dual pipes poking out the end of the WALD body kit.. If I lift it up any higher, the chamber hits the inner part of the rear bumper and messes it all up - therefore this is the lesser of the two evils!

Apologies for not seeing you though! Next time pakka da!
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 13:55   #83
BANNED

I always hated it when people gave modern touches ( like a body kit, aftermarket alloys.etc.) to such classics. But your's is the best W124 i have seen till date. The perfect blend of a classic design with some appropriate modern touches.

Congratulations on acquiring such a beauty. I always have been a big fan of the W124 & the W140, hope to own them someday. By the way please post some more pics of your car. The current pics on the thread have already made it to my desktops wallpaper.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 28th October 2014 at 13:56.
Old 16th March 2015, 15:59   #84
BHPian

Hi

Come across 1997 - W124 (E220) kept lovingly.

The only expense in next 3 months would be tyres and battery.

What should be the best price i should be buying. Owner asking for Rs 4 lakhs

rgds
Deepak
Old 18th March 2015, 12:55   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipak1406 View Post
Hi

Come across 1997 - W124 (E220) kept lovingly.

The only expense in next 3 months would be tyres and battery.

What should be the best price i should be buying. Owner asking for Rs 4 lakhs

rgds
Deepak
4L, is on the higher side.
I lost a deal on a brilliant 79K done 124 because the owner wont budge from his price of 5L. Now the same car is on sale at 3.5
Old 13th May 2015, 23:23   #86
BHPian

Apologies for the extended silence chaps!

But Herr Kampfpanzer finally managed to really stretch his legs with his first long distance trip to the land of cashew, palm trees and silky beaches!!!

a.k.a. Ggggooooaaaaaahhhh!

He's made the regular Pune, Lonavala runs often enough, but nothing longer or more challenging than that. And it was time!

I'll let the pictures do some of the talking for the moment! ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431538816111.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431538843638.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431538857487.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431538899149.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431538924998.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431538970967.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431539002232.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431539030275.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431539104018.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-1431539197417.jpg  

bIte tHe bulLet is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 23:47   #87
BHPian

This is like falling in love!!

The machine is spectacular and the narration wont let me go anywhere. Actually, adjectives are just not powerful enough to do justice to Herr Kampfpanzer or the owner's writing skills.

Not many gathers the courage you displayed when you sold off your two modern rides to get the W, and I should thank you for doing that, for I will be doing somewhat similar in the near future!!

Thanku ji for giving me hope and courage!!

The snap on the sea-link is into my personal snaps folder (apologies for stealing that,I promise nobody has access to it..)

Keep the words rolling and I should live happily!! and yes, "CONGRATULATIONS"!!
Gran_Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 18:02   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the extended silence chaps!

I'll let the pictures do some of the talking for the moment! ;-)
I'm going green. Very green. With envy.

The W124. Owners pride. Neighbours envy. Personified.

Still regret missing a 1989 W124 300E- back in 2009. That car was a very good specimen- Made in Germany, to boot! Had to let the offer go, because my father felt that it was priced a bit steeply.

Dammit.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 25th July 2015 at 18:08.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 03:54   #89
BHPian

I don't know how I missed this thread! What incredible passion for the W124! I have always felt that this model was the last true Benz, so when the chance came to pick one up from a very close friend, it was impossible to look the other way.

My car is a Pune car, and was purchased from Tata Motors. It currently has 140K on the odometer. The car is driven sparingly as I live outside India, but visit frequently. I was in India last week, and we used the W124 on a couple of trips, and as usual, it was super comfortable, and a real pleasure to drive. Now I am one of those "kooky Parsis" so if the car has even a small squeak, it gets taken care of immediately. Every time a cycle or rickshaw give it a small smooch, its off to the paint shop to get rectified. Mechanically, the car has been completely gone through when I picked it up 5 years ago. Every suspension bushing was inspected and or replaced, wheels were refinished, engine detailed, and all electrics work, including an errant passenger window motor. When I travel, I do carry a spare kit, since most things can be fixed, as long as you have the parts. So, my kit includes a new fuel pump, all relays including AC, headlamp bulbs, spark plugs etc. So far, I have never had to use anything while on the road. One suggestion, I have added a door lock and unlock system, so it takes the load off the door key. Works perfectly, and is made for the W124 and available on Amazon

Last week coming back from Mahabaleshwar, on the expressway, I was being tailed by an Audi A4. I think the driver was mildly surprised at the pick up and handling of the W124, as we ran through traffic. Third gear is ferocious, and it pulls like a freight train.

I do hope you still have your car! Its a real beauty.

Here is a picture of mine, about two years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-mbz1.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-mbz2.jpg  

benz220 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 14:13   #90
BHPian

Bite-the-bullet, it's nice to read about your Benzo! I am particularly impressed with the way your speedo console has turned out after being cleaned! Well, my story is quite different; after 8 mechanics/garages and some 3.5 years my E200 (twin cam, 16 valve, 4 in-line petrol) is driveable now but with the AC off (you turn the AC on and then the engine dies). Over the last several months I have painstakingly sourced parts from Daimler, Germany and gone over issue after issue. The list below is for parts replaced -
1. New tires (Yokohama)
2. Front windshield
3. Headlight assy
4. Wiper assy
5. Wiring harness
6. Klima relay (replaced twice because one of the brilliant mechanics blew one)
7. Evaporator temperature sensor
8. Oil level switch
9. AC pressure switch
10. Throttle valve
11. Water pump assy
12. 16 tappets
13. Head gasket
14. Ignition coils
15. Front suspension - shock absorbers (Lemforder), lower arm ball joints, rubber boots, lower arm bushes
16. Brake pads (Textar) and sensors
17. OE spark plugs
18. Plug wires
19. Accelerator cable (replaced twice, the 1st replacement ended up getting frayed at one end, I don't know how!)

So I got carried away saying to myself "Oh its just one more thing, the car will be perfect now", aided by wrong diagnosis over and over again, and ended up spending enough money to give any classic Mercedes fan a nosebleed.
Yes, the car runs better than it ever did now, I love the ride quality and the way the engine feels, it sure has character and the car has one helluva road presence! But in the back of my mind there's this constant thought that says it was very very unwise of me to have gone and spent more money repairing the car than I bought it for.
I shall upload photos shortly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks