Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 20:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Azure wonder: Chevrolet Optra Magnum 1.6 LT

At the outset congratulations Mandhir on your new ride.

Now coming to the car after my own heart, the Cedia. Yes the parts are expensive but availability is absolutely no issue. Moreover there are plenty of online sites selling parts and accessories for Cedia right from Amazon to Japan parts and scores of others in between. This model was sold on a Global scale and was/is the favourite for modifications et all. Buy and import and one can end up paying far less than the A.S.S. network. However thanks to Mitsubishi's manufacturing specifications and standards parts are needed only if one is unfortunate enough to meet with a mishap. In normal run, apart from the usual filters etc there is rarely a need to visit the parts bin.

That brings us to the other part of as to where you get these parts bolted on to the Cedia. Contrary to hearsay this is one of the last vehicles that is uncomplicated to the core. Very well designed and engineered it is a breeze to work on. Infact most mechanics who know how to hold their tools right can work on it.

Anyhow, enough of the Mitsubishi's legend. Coming back to the Magnum well it is a wonderful machine and will keep a smile pasted on your face for miles to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar117 View Post
I too loved the Lancer Cedia, but I did not even bother with a test drive, as I read and had come to believe that spare parts would be an issue and expensive. Your views on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandhir.s.bajwa View Post
.....Well Cedia is a wonderful car, but it's a failure on Mitsubishi's part that they let the car fail in India. And it's because of them that the part availability is a pain, moreover not every mechanic can work on this car. they'll ruin it rather then correction the issues one might have.
Old 8th May 2014, 20:41   #17
BHPian

@khoj; I see your love for cedia coming out. And yes, globally it's not a problem and we can always import, but not many people can do that as most of the mango people don't even know how to import such stuff. But heck.. we here are not so aam. right :-)

And thanks buddy. So far, I'm loving my Magnum to the core.
Old 22nd May 2014, 02:38   #18
BHPian

Did another 800kms trip last weekend. And everytime I take my car to longer runs, I feel great for my decision.
After driving for 5 hours without break, I was able to come to office without taking rest at home and working all night without feeling even a bit tired. Optra is simply too much relaxing and comfortable on highways.

The steering vibrations have gone after getting the balancing done the second time. although I feel little freeplay in the steering on sharper curves or when the steering is completely rotated towards left. even while being stationary I feel the little freeplay in it. Not able to understand what it is.

Second: I realized that earlier when I got the headlamp bulbs changes, the mechanic did not fix the headlight back cover and now it's all open. Any pointer as where can I get it in Delhi? or is there any shop which keeps such spare parts for chevrolet vehicles, especially Optra Magnum?
Old 15th July 2014, 02:22   #19
BHPian

I've completed around 7k kms on optra, and apart from earlier mentioned issues I've been loving her every bit.
I've got the wheel alignment and balancing done from 3 different places now. the vibrations above 120kmph have reduced a bit, but they are still pretty evident.
Also I've got the alloys checked for any crack or bends, they have none.
second issue is slight freeplay in the steering, specially while turning all the way to left.
third issue is the notchy 2nd gear. It gets stuck sometimes and have to downshift to 1st and then to 2nd again.
All these issues will be checked during my next service, which is due in sometime.
Apart from all above, I've been looking for spoiler and the door visors for her. Also the back cover behind the headlamp is missing. Any pointers where I can get it?
Old 15th July 2014, 16:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Any chance that the part might still be with the mechanic? If not you could try Metro motors near Malviya nagar (see NCR directory for details) else Batra at Ashram Chowk (service lane on LHS driving from Friends colony/Maharani baug side toward the Ashram Traffic Signal) else Palika market (opposite Hyatt, across the Ring road or Karol baug & Kashmiri gate).

Quote:
Second: I realized that earlier when I got the headlamp bulbs changes, the mechanic did not fix the headlight back cover and now it's all open. Any pointer as where can I get it in Delhi? or is there any shop which keeps such spare parts for chevrolet vehicles, especially Optra Magnum?

Try Auto Marc at Defence colony Local Shopping Centre market (across the road from Nizam's Kathi rolls if approached on foot).

Quote:
Apart from all above, I've been looking for spoiler and the door visors for her.
Old 15th July 2014, 20:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Any chance that the part might still be with the mechanic? If not you could try Metro motors near Malviya nagar (see NCR directory for details) else Batra at Ashram Chowk (service lane on LHS driving from Friends colony/Maharani baug side toward the Ashram Traffic Signal) else Palika market (opposite Hyatt, across the Ring road or Karol baug & Kashmiri gate).

Try Auto Marc at Defence colony Local Shopping Centre market (across the road from Nizam's Kathi rolls if approached on foot).
I got it checked at the mechanic, He lost it and is not able to source it.
And thanks for all the pointers, will check them this weekend and will update here accordingly.
Old 10th September 2014, 00:17   #22
BHPian

SO today I got the most crucial service done. Car's odo now reads: 54k kms.
And I wanted to be on safer side so got the 60k service schedule done from my trusted mechanic.

following are the charges for the parts:

Engine Oil Change
Oil Filter changed: 220
Spark plugs changed: 360
Timing Belt Changed: 1250
coolant top up: 160
Disc Pad replacement: 1090
dry denting on few parts: 500 (including Front bumper welding at multiple points)
Disc plate grinding: 400
Total labor: 1850

Remaining: Timing tensioner to be replaced (it was not available)
Battery is showing signs of it's death, Any suggestions for brand?
Need to get the gear box checked as 2nd gear jams sometime.
Old 28th September 2014, 12:43   #23
BHPian

Did the 60K kms service for my 2009 Optra Magnum diesel a week back.

Total expense: Rs 28000
Changed: Timing belt and tensioner, Air filter and engine oil.

Looks like battery is nearing its end. Found online price of Amaron battery ~ Rs 5000
Old 13th May 2015, 12:34   #24

hi I am planning to go in for a used 1.6 magnum, can you please tell me about the availability of spares and common issues i should keep an eye out while searching for a good vehicle??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks