Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2014, 16:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rs. 1 Lakh per cupholder - My 2014 Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi

A very very interesting ownership review I should say! Half of your priorities flew out of the window for the need of 2 cup holders. But then, that's how life is, right? Thanks for the detailed view on certain features as well; that's NOT something I had read before.

What I like about i20 is the power + features + quality. I just wish they had implanted a better steering + suspension which could exploit all those power available. From a FTD factor, I still pick up my Swift over the i20 though.

I would disagree with you on the "heavy" steering part; after using my brother's i20 for a day, the next day I thought my Swift's steering was malfunctioning - it felt like a truck's steering and so much that I called up my brother and checked whether there was any problem with the Swift's steering - I am NOT kidding.

Congrats & Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 19:33   #17
BHPian

Re: Rs. 1 Lakh per cupholder - My 2014 Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Good crisp review with a keen eye for details.

Get your ICE unit checked - the radio resets, the audio pairing incompatibility, the nonfunctional steering buttons all point to a supposedly bad ICE unit, or a VERY bad design.
Thank you. The steering buttons function, as long as it's a USB pen-drive that's connected. It's for the iPhone that it does not work. I tried it with not one, but five different cars - every one of them behaved exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Why didn't you consider the Polo? I know for a fact that the half-baked features you found in the i20 were kept in the oven longer by Volkswagen. Also, I love the stock audio in the Polo.
You wouldn't have been disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Hi tilt, I read with interest your very exhaustive review and have one question because it concerns your emphasis on the twin cup-holder -- did you consider the VW Polo? - it has an excellent set of twin cup holders in front (one of the aspects I love about the car).
The GT was a bit out of my price range, and I was not too keen on the lower-spec models. The car was comfortable to sit in though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congratulations on your purchase and great writeup

If it goes kaput, you just have to tap the Start Button with the key, and it will start.
Thanks And, how would tapping the key against the start-button work? Please help me understand the rationale behind that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Excellent thread and absolutely loved your style of writing. Many many congratulations on your new ride. would love to know how did you narrow down your search to only the Figo and the i20? Did you consider the cheaper and I guess equally competent cousin, Grand I10? Or the Swift perhaps? What was the final OTR for the car that you paid?
The Grand i10 - was a bit cramped in the shoulder area for me; plus no centre arm-rest for the driver, and that's a non-negotiable ask for me. The Figo did not have an arm-rest either, but I still wanted the Figo because of all the great reviews I read here and elsewhere - plus it was easily the best car I tested, both in terms of handling and lack of turbo-lag. Remember I mentioned in my review that I went to the dealership with chequebook in hand and then I backed out. The only thing that stopped me from the Figo was the lack of two cupholders and the improper positioning of the sole cupholder.

The Swift I did consider, but the driving position was too cramped in the leg area. The centre console intruded into my Left-leg space and I was uncomfortable within ten minutes of the test-drive.

And, oh, the final OTR was 902 including 3rd year warranty and zero-dep insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
A very very interesting ownership review I should say! Half of your priorities flew out of the window for the need of 2 cup holders. But then, that's how life is, right? Thanks for the detailed view on certain features as well; that's NOT something I had read before.

What I like about i20 is the power + features + quality. I just wish they had implanted a better steering + suspension which could exploit all those power available. From a FTD factor, I still pick up my Swift over the i20 though.

I would disagree with you on the "heavy" steering part; after using my brother's i20 for a day, the next day I thought my Swift's steering was malfunctioning - it felt like a truck's steering and so much that I called up my brother and checked whether there was any problem with the Swift's steering - I am NOT kidding.

Congrats & Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring.
Thanks. I remember reading your specific review about the steering-feel comparison between the Swift and the i20. What I don't remember is the exact vintage of your brother's i20. I wonder if your opinion would stay the same if you test-drove one from the showroom now.

Thank you all for going over my review and your feedback.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 30th June 2014 at 19:45.
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 20:24   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
...Thanks. I remember reading your specific review about the steering-feel comparison between the Swift and the i20. What I don't remember is the exact vintage of your brother's i20. I wonder if your opinion would stay the same if you test-drove one from the showroom now....
Well, his i20 is less than an year old. I am NOT too sure any changes were made after; may be silently? Do you also feel a strong centre back action once you take some tight turns? His does that - kinda violent.

PS :: Don't you think it would have been better to wait for couple of months since the new i20 is around the corner? That's a full generation ahead too.
Old 1st July 2014, 00:57   #19
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride, brother. Drive safe. I have one question which I couldn't or never really got around asking my colleagues who own i20s. After seeing your "half baked / short changed" part, I think you would have definitely looked into this too. The DRLs. They look superb, classy and what not; every i20 I see has them on during day, like they are meant to be, but is there an option to keep them turned on even at night? Just a doubt, coz most of the VAG cars have an option like that (Passat/Audi). Was wondering if there was an option like that, because barring one heavily modded i20, all other cars had them switched off when the lights came on. Is that the case? Either this or that kind of situation?
Old 1st July 2014, 08:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Well, his i20 is less than an year old. I am NOT too sure any changes were made after; may be silently? Do you also feel a strong centre back action once you take some tight turns? His does that - kinda violent.

PS :: Don't you think it would have been better to wait for couple of months since the new i20 is around the corner? That's a full generation ahead too.
If his i20 is less than a year old I doubt there have been major changes between then and now. And no, I do not recall feeling any "kinda violent" returns, however I shall specifically check for that today when I go out.

Re. waiting for the new i20, the issue was I needed transportation immediately and was not in a position to wait. I am reminded of being in the Apple world - you buy a Mac or iPod or iPhone and within a few weeks Apple announces the latest and greatest and you end up banging your head against the wall

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 11:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase.!!

Loved your writing style and - the Cupholder Requirement!
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 12:18   #22
BHPian

Hey dear, Congratulations. No doubt i20 is one very nice car, in fact it beats the competition in feature list and overall quality.

Well, I own a Swift 1.2 Petrol and it is in garage for some work TBD, so I have got a friend's i20 1.2 petrol meanwhile. I am using it for daily use, until I get my Swift back. I have found out that with all those bells and whistles even in Sportz trim, I quite liked it, so many things which result in providing convenience while you drive. But there is this thing, that I feel totally disconnected from the drive. The steering, the suspension are in a tune to provide convenience, yes, but, the drive is not involving at all. In city (lower speds), I felt it is quite doable, but as soon as it climbs speeds of >80 kph, I don't feel any confidence. Well, I have owned a Palio 3 years back and I have driven my father's Baleno extensively, and then this Swift of mine, so, perhaps, comparatively, I feel this way. But, what the heck, I didn't like my cousin's 2012 City for a not-so-inspiring drive on highways.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 12:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Congrats on your new ride, brother. Drive safe. I have one question which I couldn't or never really got around asking my colleagues who own i20s. After seeing your "half baked / short changed" part, I think you would have definitely looked into this too. The DRLs. They look superb, classy and what not; every i20 I see has them on during day, like they are meant to be, but is there an option to keep them turned on even at night? Just a doubt, coz most of the VAG cars have an option like that (Passat/Audi). Was wondering if there was an option like that, because barring one heavily modded i20, all other cars had them switched off when the lights came on. Is that the case? Either this or that kind of situation?
Thank you Doc_Nikhil. Re. the LED DRLs, I have never stood outside the car to see if they stay on when the headlights come on, I just presumed that, like the Audis, they would stay on.

I do not know whether there is an option to keep them on, I never asked (since it doesn't bother me one way or the other).

Cheers
Old 1st July 2014, 12:32   #24
BHPian

I always wondered how the features list is so long on the i20 and other Hyundais to the point that I questioned other manufactures for not being able to incorporate them in their cars.
And yes, I knew there'd be a catch somewhere and you pointed it out quite nicely. The way you explain the working of the various features surely suggests that they are half-baked indeed.
Old 1st July 2014, 12:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*
SnF, I took the car out for it's first service today. I tried doing a few sharp and tight turns, and I did not feel anything like you mention. I also did a few lock-to-lock turns while getting in and out of my garage and the service centre, but they were at just a little over walking pace, so that may not have triggered this snapback.

Cheers
Old 1st July 2014, 12:55   #26
BHPian

Hi Tilt,

Congratulations on a wonderful report. Your 1 lakh per cupholder would remind many old timers of Sam Kapasi's umbrella in the Superb moment.

Wishing you many happy miles on the car.

Best
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 13:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
In-Car Entertainment Unit:
When the ignition is turned on, the ICE unit does not return to the state it was when powered off. I am usually in Bluetooth (Media) mode, not in Radio mode; but when I turn the car on, it always turns the radio on, and I have to press the Media button again. This is the first car I have driven that does this. Quite inconvenient, I must say. Even the other Hyundais I have rented in the US and Canada worked properly. Cost cutting with lower-level specs? Just providing a half-baked feature good enough to check off a box and charge a premium?
I faced the same problem while using a friend's Elantra in Delhi. I was using my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and everytime I switched off the car at signals (during winters) and restarted it the Source would automatically turn on Radio. Very irritating.

Quote:
iPhone 5/Bluetooth/USB for music:
The car is not compatible, period. Well, that’s not completely correct. I am able to pair the iPhone 5 with Bluetooth, and I can receive calls. My issue is with music. The music does play over Bluetooth, but the steering wheel controls do not work for skipping songs. The only thing I can do is change volume. For everything else I have to use the iPhone itself. So, the USB and steering wheel controls are not of much use to me. Another half-baked box-check feature.

One more negative with the iPhone-Hyundai combo is that while playing audio through Bluetooth, there is no song info on the display; it only shows “MP3 Audio” and that’s it. Half-baked box-check.

Connecting the iPhone5 to the USB is another story altogether - it just does not work at all. It keeps giving me an error saying unable to read USB device. I either have to connect it to the Aux port (which is something I do not want to do - I want to connect on USB and charge the phone while listening to audio, and not have to use more than one cable), or use Bluetooth.
I remember my friend used a cable to charge his iPhone 5 & play music using the same. He told me that the cable he uses charges his iPhone faster than the normal cable. It costed him Rs. 3000 from Hyundai dealer in Delhi.
Rs. 1 Lakh per cupholder - My 2014 Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi-iphonehyundai.jpg

Also my brother in Dubai got a similar cable with Hyundai Accent (Verna in India). That too charges his iPhone4 and plays music using car's HU/steering controls.
Rs. 1 Lakh per cupholder - My 2014 Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi-iphone4cablehyundai.jpg

Photo source: Google
Shantanu1970 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 13:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Hi Tilt,

Congratulations on a wonderful report. Your 1 lakh per cupholder would remind many old timers of Sam Kapasi's umbrella in the Superb moment.

Wishing you many happy miles on the car.

Best
Tapish
I just googled Sam Kapasi (not having heard of him until now) and discovered that (among other things) he started the Yeti guide to posting in good English here on tBHP! That's a thread I enjoy reading and contributing to.

Tapish, could you enlighten me on this umbrella in the superb business?

Cheers
Old 1st July 2014, 13:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu1970 View Post
*SNIP*
I remember my friend used a cable to charge his iPhone 5 & play music using the same. He told me that the cable he uses charges his iPhone faster than the normal cable. It costed him Rs. 3000 from Hyundai dealer in Delhi.
Attachment 1256610*SNIP
Thank you for this shantanu. The people in the service centre this morning told me about this cable. I wanted to see if they had one so that I could actually test it out, but they did not have one. I think I shall see if my dealer has one and test it there.

Cheers
Old 1st July 2014, 13:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I just googled Sam Kapasi (not having heard of him until now) and discovered that (among other things) he started the Yeti guide to posting in good English here on tBHP! That's a thread I enjoy reading and contributing to.

Tapish, could you enlighten me on this umbrella in the superb business?

Cheers
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1880646

You will have to read this entire thread to soak it in

Best
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks