Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 14:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Rs. 1 Lakh per cupholder - My 2014 Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi

Congratulations for the new car tilt.
A very detailed and comprehensive ownership report.
As regards your experience with the Dealership, I believe we should create a new segment within Team BHP to report such unruly behavior. It would act as a reference point for other members while dealing with the said dealers.
I have over the years stuck to the same dealer (I am Maruti Suzuki owner) and have seen his customer retention levels dwindling due to arrogance and self pride.

It is high time, we stop the dealers from taking customers on a ride. I have stayed in the UK for about 4 years and have visited quite a few second hand car garages. The guys there are a lot more politer to the customers than the new car dealers in India.

Anyways Advaith has always been a snob throughout the time I have stayed in Bangalore and visited him for servicing their vehicles.

All in all I was mightly impressed with your detailed review. Have asome great road trips ahead and yes, do post pictures of the six figure costing cup holders.

Cheers
maverick.munish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 15:32   #32
BHPian

Excellent write up mate !!. I have rated the thread a well deserved 5 stars already. I was really like what ? while reading your thread for 1L per cup holder. Anyways, hope you have a niggle free ride and many more happy miles, with your new workhorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Tyre-pressure:
The dealership had pumped up the tyres to 40 psi. I got it down to 33. No, this is not a complaint or anything, just thought I’d mention it in passing.
Is that recommended by Hyundai ? or did they pump up 40 psi by mistake ?
Atif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 15:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Excellent write up mate !!. I have rated the thread a well deserved 5 stars already. I was really like what ? while reading your thread for 1L per cup holder. Anyways, hope you have a niggle free ride and many more happy miles, with your new workhorse.

Is that recommended by Hyundai ? or did they pump up 40 psi by mistake ?
Thank you atif. I think the 40 psi was a mistake. The service centre told me that since the cars are parked outside for a long time at the stockyard, they pump up the tyres. I don't know how true that is or how valid that explanation is, but that's what they said.

Cheers
Old 1st July 2014, 17:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Bluetooth/Phone integration:
This is another example of an half-baked feature added on purely to tick a box. I can receive calls, I can redial the last dialled number, but I cannot call anyone else because the phone-book does not download into the system. I still have to have the phone in my hand and scroll through contacts and click on the contact to call them. This means, it is no longer hands-free; or most importantly - eyes-free! I have to take my eyes off the road to do all this, or park the car on the shoulder.
Opt feedback. I own a 2012 Sportz CRDi and felt annoyed and disappointed when I learned only last dialled number can be redialled. However, seems Hyundai is correcting these in newer cars such as Grand i10 making the entire phone book accessible. Fully agree with you it's a half-baked feature and the compromising way to look at this feature as hands-free for answering calls while you are driving. Still better than having nothing like in many other cars, atleast when I bought in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt
Automatic Rain-Sensing Wipers:
I keep the wiper control stalk in the “Auto” position. Every time I turn the ignition on the wiper wipes once. That’s bad. The wiper is not supposed to come on at all until there is moisture on the windshield. That’s how my car in Canada behaved, and every car I ever rented behaved, including other Hyundais. Half-baked box-check.

The dealer tells me that I am supposed to keep the wipers in the “Off” position and turn them to “auto” when it starts raining. What’s the point of rain-sensing wipers if I have to do the sensing? Like I said, this is the only car I have driven that behaves this way.
I experienced same frustration. The dealer in Pune told me, everytime you turn on ignition the wiper system does self-check if it is in Auto mode. I do not think Hyundai is super hi-tech that it reports wiper system failure to OBD. Atleast I do not think so. More experienced or know-how BHPians can comment here. Again the same compromise, at least the frequency of wiping the windscreen is automated when you drive during raining. You have to manually adjust in the stalk otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt
Turbo-lag:
Feel it even in first gear in crowded city-driving. Takes a while to get to1800 RPM even in first gear, but is sweet once it gets there. However, I was warned enough about this by more experienced tBHPians, so I do not have a right to complain.
Acceleration suffers. Not really a good car for quick over-takes. But it is certainly a relaxed cruiser. Even at 90 kmph, Tacho needle points at 2000 ~ 2100 rpm.

My 2 cents for going to this car was perfection in Indian car offerings is a dream. It feels really good to have a car at least with half-backed features than nothing with constraints of budget and modest enthusiasm for driving. Even today, i20 is the top notch when it comes to interior quality and details. It gave a feeling that I am really sitting in a car. Figo is all but cheap plastics.

Nice post and got me thinking why did not write all these even though I frustrated. However, my frustrations overpowered with adjsutments because I learned to like. (on the otherway, money already spent, can't afford to change until 5 years!)

Last edited by aah78 : 1st July 2014 at 18:02. Reason: Quotes fixed.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Very good review, enjoyed reading it. I was curious to know what was this 1L per cup holder . Wish you many happy and safe miles with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
PS :: Don't you think it would have been better to wait for couple of months since the new i20 is around the corner? That's a full generation ahead too.
Last week when I took my car for service, SA mentioned that the new car will be mostly named as i35 and will be launched in August/September. The dimensions and engine spec will be different than the present i20. He said that the i20 will be discontinued. He also mentioned that Hyundai had plans of launching a MUV but the plan is on hold as of now.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 1st July 2014 at 18:02.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 18:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Should've bought a Jazz - it has 10 cupholders and therefore a lower cost-per-cupholder.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 19:03   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Should've bought a Jazz - it has 10 cupholders and therefore a lower cost-per-cupholder.
Now why didn't I think of that! Hey, I could have bought the Shatabdi Express, has a few hundred cup-holders

Actually the Jazz is no longer available. I have read good reviews about that car, and I have driven the Honda Fit in Canada (the Jazz is basically a renamed Fit); bu when I went to Honda they said I have to choose between the City and the Brio (or Amaze).

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 19:08   #38
BHPian

Man, if you are not into it already, you should get into advertising! Love the way you think. Damn, that's one costly cup holder! There was a time, long ago when folks at showrooms frowned if we touched a vehicle kept for display. Some dealers are yet to realize that it is a buyers market and that the customer always has options.

A friend was talking to us about an experience his uncle (a reputed cardiologist) had with a certain pompous showroom. He wore his regular 'mundu' and Hawaii slippers and walked into the showroom. To make a long story short, he didn't even get acknowledged and the folks showed him a you-can't-afford-such-a-costly-car attitude. The good doctor went back and wrote to the manufacturer. And the entire showroom was at his feet. But he flatly refused to have anything to do with them.

So someone at Advaith better be reading this. If they intend to sell more cars that is. If I was buying a Hyundai anytime soon, I'd straight away eliminate this dealer from my list.

But you my friend, do keep it coming!
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:17   #39
BHPian

And here's the picture of the cup-holders
Attached Thumbnails
Rs. 1 Lakh per cupholder - My 2014 Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi-img_1031.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2014, 14:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

A lot of todays sedans are basically built off the foundation of some hatch. If the hatch is a good drive, in all probability, the sedan will be too. However; with regard to space, I am not sure how hatch can carry more luggage than a full size sedan.

I won't comment on handling of the newer i20's as I have never driven one. I did drive a 2014 Verna and there was a marked improvement on handling. However; an i20, to me, does not fall in the fun to drive category. I look at it as a car that is effortless to drive. There is an ease about driving an i20 that is unmatched.

The Ford, though far from being modern in any way, sure nails it when it comes to driving satisfaction. If you like a car that talks to you all the time, Ford's hatch is brilliant.

The steering on Hyundai's remains dead as ever. Again, don't know about the new i20. The story was the same on the 2014 Verna. Complete disconnect.

On the subject of cup holders being a requirement, how often do you have the cup holder populated?

Your dealer experience reflects the experience to a small extent I had when I was shopping for a car. One dealer was all talk and lies, the other went all the way and obliged to every single thing I asked for, even before I put a booking amount.

Trident are brilliant. A colleague who already knows that a Verna is out of reach, still wanted to test drive the car. He's clocked a good 200km of test drives. Automatic, manual, petrol, diesel. Trident have given him everything and even let him blast down a highway. I am not a fan of taking test drives like this when I know I cannot afford a certain car. If I do, I make it clear to the dealer before hand that I am not buying the car and all I want to do is experience the car. Trident have not hesitated even once. Heck, they offered the Elantra twins too and they know this person isn't going to buy one. Its unfortunate that my colleague has still not given them business inspite of all the flexibility. These guys sure want to sell a car to you and they know how to do it.

I support your views on most of the half baked stuff. The thing is, the car you have now is as good as it gets from the segment. I doubt if anything can beat it with regard to equipment.

I am not sure if lumbar support is available on any of our small cars. Could probably be a little better on some but may not suit your seating requirement.

Something is off with the head unit. It should return to last state each time you restart. Confirmed with a colleague who owns a i20.

Does the brochure (not car manual) talk about iphone/ipod compatibility? I have found implementation for Apple devices to be terrible on cars from the i20 segment and neighbor segments.

I find it quite pointless to have both usb and aux. Clearly; they co exist cause they can't offer a digital audio feed via usb.

With regard to blue tooth integration, you can't beat Microsoft Sycn (Ford). Its outstanding. Microsoft Blue N Me (Fiat) is also good except that they forget to add bluetooth audio streaming on the cars sold in India. Feel like thrashing them.

Is there sensitivity control for the auto lamps and wipers?

Your door unlocking concern is also a problem that needs to be addressed. No such concerns on my colleagues i20. Do you hit the button first, wait for the whrrrr to stop before pulling the door open handle or do you do it all together?

I feel the implementation of the sensor and reverse camera is best on your Hyundai.

With regard to highway driving manners of your Hyundai, what other car have you driven in India and what was your ride state side? Considering you were about to pay for a Ford Figo, my guess is you took the car for a good spin.

Really nice, well written initial ownership log of your new ride.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd July 2014 at 14:29.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
*SNIP* However; with regard to space, I am not sure how hatch can carry more luggage than a full size sedan.
Flatten the rear seats and there's much more room in a hatch than in a sedan for luggage.

Quote:
The Ford, though far from being modern in any way, sure nails it when it comes to driving satisfaction. If you like a car that talks to you all the time, Ford's hatch is brilliant.
*sigh* Yeah I know. Unfortunately like I said, the cupholder was the deal-breaker for me, plus to a lesser extent the lack of a centre armrest. I was willing to go aftermarket for the armrest (there are a couple of threads here that deal with this) but I could not do the same with the cupholders.

Quote:
The steering on Hyundai's remains dead as ever. Again, don't know about the new i20. The story was the same on the 2014 Verna. Complete disconnect.
Like I said in my review, either Hyundai have made some improvements tot he steering or I have adapted myself to the dead steering and am able to manage with it. Not sure which though.

Quote:
On the subject of cup holders being a requirement, how often do you have the cup holder populated?
When I am on the highway, all the time. When I am in the city, I do not drive much at all.

Quote:
Something is off with the head unit. It should return to last state each time you restart. Confirmed with a colleague who owns a i20.
I forgot to mention this as a problem when I took the car in for its first service. I shall remember and ask for this the next time I go in.

Quote:
Does the brochure (not car manual) talk about iphone/ipod compatibility? I have found implementation for Apple devices to be terrible on cars from the i20 segment and neighbor segments.
No, the brochure does not talk about it at all, it just mentions the USB and the AUX ports.

Quote:
Is there sensitivity control for the auto lamps and wipers?
For the wipers, yes, for the lamps, no.

Quote:
Your door unlocking concern is also a problem that needs to be addressed. No such concerns on my colleagues i20. Do you hit the button first, wait for the whrrrr to stop before pulling the door open handle or do you do it all together?
Er... *ahem* that was a user-problem. I did not wait for the whrrrr.

Quote:
With regard to highway driving manners of your Hyundai, what other car have you driven in India and what was your ride state side? Considering you were about to pay for a Ford Figo, my guess is you took the car for a good spin.
I did take both cars for a good spin. I drove the i20, the Figo, the Swift, the Honda City and the Honda Brio.

Quote:
Really nice, well written initial ownership log of your new ride.
Thank you

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Flatten the rear seats and there's much more room in a hatch than in a sedan for luggage.
This is true but makes the car a strict two seater. Works if children are never gonna happen.

Quote:
I forgot to mention this as a problem when I took the car in for its first service. I shall remember and ask for this the next time I go in.
I spoke too soon about this. My colleague experiences the same thing but has a reason for this behavior. Does not find it a concern. The system basically cycles to the next available source in the list when it no longer finds a active bluetooth connection (engine kill) and I believe this is the Radio function, if you look at the sequence order under Source. When you hop back in, as bluetooth can take a few seconds to sync and make a connection, the mode it is defaulting to is the Radio. Ideally; once BT is paired, it should switch back to last used source but then thats not probably not part of the design of the system. Some folks may not have their BT enabled on their phone always. Anyways; I hope the service center can help you with the problem.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
This is true but makes the car a strict two seater. Works if children are never gonna happen.

I spoke too soon about this. My colleague experiences the same thing but has a reason for this behavior. Does not find it a concern. The system basically cycles to the next available source in the list when it no longer finds a active bluetooth connection (engine kill) and I believe this is the Radio function, if you look at the sequence order under Source. When you hop back in, as bluetooth can take a few seconds to sync and make a connection, the mode it is defaulting to is the Radio. Ideally; once BT is paired, it should switch back to last used source but then thats not probably not part of the design of the system. Some folks may not have their BT enabled on their phone always. Anyways; I hope the service center can help you with the problem.
Re. children etc., I did mention in my review that the back seat will never be occupied in my case , so what I basically do need is a two-seater with oodles of luggage room!

Thanks for explaining the reason behind the ICE getting back to Radio. I never thought of that because in the other cars I have used (in the US and Canada), this was not how it behaved.

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
In-Car Entertainment Unit:
When the ignition is turned on, the ICE unit does not return to the state it was when powered off. I am usually in Bluetooth (Media) mode, not in Radio mode; but when I turn the car on, it always turns the radio on, and I have to press the Media button again. This is the first car I have driven that does this. Quite inconvenient, I must say. Even the other Hyundais I have rented in the US and Canada worked properly. Cost cutting with lower-level specs? Just providing a half-baked feature good enough to check off a box and charge a premium?
When you say you are in the media mode, do you mean to say that you are listening to streaming music from your phone through bluetooth? If this is the case, when you switch off the car, your phone speakers would turn on. The ICE will automatically start streaming the music as and when the bluetooth connection gets restored once you start the car, which takes around 20-25 seconds. There is no need to press any button.

Works pretty well with my 2011 i20 Sportz and gingerbread powered HTC.

Last edited by racer_ash : 3rd July 2014 at 15:29.
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:43   #45

Thank you Tilt for sharing this gem of a review. I quite liked your writing style. While you have answered almost everything in your lovely write up, I was left wondering why would you insist on having 2 cup-holders? I respect your personal preference but let us enlighten if there is any other particular reason for this insistence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks