Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 19:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol. And how I was nearly tricked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_saunak View Post
Hello BHPians,

The Confusion : Other Buyers from Kolkata, Beware:
2 days later I received a call. The voice was pretty informal and there were no “Sir” and I was greeted “Dada” while the conversation progressed. I felt a little awkward but still continued. The guy asked if I have decided anything on...
..The moment I realized what has happened I promptly called up Saurav and the first question I asked if he was the guy who came to my office. He said yes he was and also described parts of our meeting. After being 100% sure this is the guy I told him the whole story. He was professional enough to not utter a single bad word against his competitor. He politely said to me, please let it go and come to our showroom. I also had enough confusion over telephonic conversations and promptly went to their showroom. I saw Saurav and recognized him and he came straight to me with a familiar professional smile. Finally I was relieved.

Continued to next post...
Whoa! Makings of a bollywood movie in there!

Usually it doesnt stretch so far out, but it is a known fact that sales teams across dealerships are porous. Enquiries leak over to other dealership who immediately start chasing the prospect. The competition is good, the customer benefits. IMO though it ought to be transparent coupled with a better deal. In fact I advise giving the business to the guy who put in the effort and at the same time making sure they match the best offer going around thanks to the dogfight between the dealers.

Some brands are known to split payouts/incentives to dealers which includes a component that is paid to the dealer that first registered the enquiry irrespective of where the final sale takes place. A by-product of poaching attempts like these I'm sure.
vineshpikale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 10:07   #17
BHPian

The Grand i10 looks great in this color. Even I could not locate this color in Kolkata much. The interiors look top notch and the exterior is jazzy. Although I like the previous version of the i10 but the newer version is also a welcome change.

Just a few days ago, we were dealing with Mukesh Hyundai, Bengal Hyundai and Austin Hyundai for buying an i10 1.1 Sportz model. While Mukesh was the closest to my home and was offering good quote for the car, Bengal Hyundai was very promising and professional from the beginning. They came to my home to evaluate our Zen Vxi and Bengal Hyundai was offering a better exchange price than Mukesh too. [Infact I was trying to locate the salesperson from Bengal Hyundai in your picture whom I interacted with ]. Although I did not face any such problems with either Mukesh or Bengal but I liked the pre-sales attitude of Bengal Hyundai tad better than Mukesh. In the end, we ended up booking a Wagon R Vxi (for ourselves) and subsequently an Alto k10 Lxi (for a dear friend) from Premier Carworld within a span of 10 days.

A word of caution: Beware of Mohan Motors Hyundai. Although they were one of the biggest dealers of Maruti in the city, they had shifted to Hyundai only recently. We had interacted with one lady named Mun Mun and found their pre-sales mentality cheap and slack (to say the least). A BIG NO to Mohan Motors Hyundai if you are planning to purchase a Hyundai car in Kolkata.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 10:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
The Grand i10 looks great in this color. Even I could not locate this color in Kolkata much. The interiors look top notch and the exterior is jazzy. Although I like the previous version of the i10 but the newer version is also a welcome change.

A word of caution: Beware of Mohan Motors Hyundai. Although they were one of the biggest dealers of Maruti in the city, they had shifted to Hyundai only recently. We had interacted with one lady named Mun Mun and found their pre-sales mentality cheap and slack (to say the least). A BIG NO to Mohan Motors Hyundai if you are planning to purchase a Hyundai car in Kolkata.
Thanks CountMe91. I spotted two so far other than mine. One was a Sportz and the other was a Magna.

I also second what you have mentioned here regarding Mohan Motors Hyundai. I was cautioned by 4-5 people about them. I heard (though I am not sure if it is true or not) that they give out great discounts. But those are unofficial dealer discounts. How they compensate for that? They'll hand you over a stringent insurance. Apparently it would be a general insurance but you will be shocked to find out later that you cannot claim a dime if the total bill is below Rs. 20K or something.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations buddy on this beauty. Nice and neat review.

Hope you enjoy every ride of yours and have a blissful journey with your dream car.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 16:38   #20
BHPian

Hi Saunak,
Congrats on your new set of wheels. I myself took a test drive today of the Asta CRDI VARIANT. I was pleasantly shocked with the space inside. the inclination of back seat was superb and headroom was good too. I am six ft.
Only thing I was concerned about was the softness of the suspension or was it the test drive vehicle. How does your vehicle feel WRT suspension for backbenchers ?
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 17:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi Saunak,
Congrats on your new set of wheels. I myself took a test drive today of the Asta CRDI VARIANT. I was pleasantly shocked with the space inside. the inclination of back seat was superb and headroom was good too. I am six ft.
Only thing I was concerned about was the softness of the suspension or was it the test drive vehicle. How does your vehicle feel WRT suspension for backbenchers ?
Thanks HIGHNOON.

The suspension is indeed on the softer side, though it is an improvement over the old i10 and i20. During the initial days the suspension was quite stiff and honestly there was no room for complaint. But as it is slowly "opening up" it has started revealing its softer nature. Small potholes and small undulations no problem at all. Bigger they are the car seems to bounce a bit. But as said earlier, it is far better than most of the cars out there in the market. The only complaint that I have is the amount of body roll. I have seen back seat passengers tilting left and right whenever there is a sharp turn. Otherwise the ride is very pliant and stays planted on road confidently.

The diesel engine being heavier may have attributed to the feel as well. I have seen the diesel variant sitting with a slightly lower stance at the front as compared to the petrol variant.
Old 30th July 2014, 22:52   #22
BHPian

Yes that is true. Mohan Motors Hyundai even promised me to offer best discounts over phone. But what made me deter from them is that I smelled something fishy in their way of talking and dealing from the first day onwards. I did not want to ruin the buying experience altogether.

Quote:
Thanks CountMe91. I spotted two so far other than mine. One was a Sportz and the other was a Magna.

I also second what you have mentioned here regarding Mohan Motors Hyundai. I was cautioned by 4-5 people about them. I heard (though I am not sure if it is true or not) that they give out great discounts. But those are unofficial dealer discounts. How they compensate for that? They'll hand you over a stringent insurance. Apparently it would be a general insurance but you will be shocked to find out later that you cannot claim a dime if the total bill is below Rs. 20K or something.
Old 1st August 2014, 19:44   #23
BHPian

Hi Shaunak,
That's exactly my experience. I was getting chucked around in the back seat on a pot holed road and softer seat and excellent back inclination was of no use as I was bouncing with very little lumbar support.
Besides that I found it the best quality material, space allocation with respect to passengers and boot.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 14:59   #24
BHPian

Hi Saunak,

Congrats & Welcome to the ownership club.
You have really down the justice to ownership review.
We are also in the process of finalizing a hatchback & Grand i10 is the Top contender.
However we are going for Diesel.
One last wait for i20 elite launch. Let see if its priced attractively, I will go for it or otherwise Grand i10.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 15:21   #25
BHPian

Thanks Wanderers.

i20 Elite is launching next week. I also sincerely hope that it will be worth the wait. I also briefly considered i20 Magna (O) in place of Grand. But later on due to the the price point and feature list I opted for Grand.

BTW, in one of the advertisements in paper I found that there is going to be an official discount of 10K on Grand. i20 would definitely a bit pricey and of course no discount. But whichever you buy, both of them are way ahead of competition and fully loaded. Hoping to hear a good news from you real soon. Best of luck !!!
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 17:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Wanderers.

i20 Elite is launching next week. I also sincerely hope that it will be worth the wait. I also briefly considered i20 Magna (O) in place of Grand. But later on due to the the price point and feature list I opted for Grand.

Hi Saunak,

So you did try for i20 current Model. But did not the dealer offered you heavy discount on i20.
Well even today, if you go for current i20, the discount is around 90K.

It can been seen that i20 will land cheaper than Grand i10, if you compare feature to feature rather than Model name (Asta, Magna) as i20 lower model have features equivalent to higher ones on Grand i10.

But I know you are in Kolkata, where dealers behave like God or Demon is the right word
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 17:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Saunak,

So you did try for i20 current Model. But did not the dealer offered you heavy discount on i20.
Well even today, if you go for current i20, the discount is around 90K.
Yes. They did. But even then I opted for Grand as it was a fresh model and the feature list was better in Grand Asta than i20 Magna(o).

One thing you do need to keep in mind. i20 being a heavier car it is powered by the same 1.2L Kappa2 engine as that of Grand. So, theoretically you should expect a lower FE. The usage is important too. If you have highway driving, go for i20, if you need it for city driving, Grand i10 will be the better car.

And the dealers??? You read my story already

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks