Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2016, 00:45   #61
BHPian

re: 2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!

Ok after much delay from my side, following things are done.

1. RCD 510 Bosch RVC Edition.
2. Cabin light
3. Maxi Dot cluster - a Skoda Diesel Cluster
4. New Model Steering Wheel
5. Highline BCM
6. 3D mats
7. 70% VLT tints without front glass install
8. VCDS clone 12.12 Cable ( It does work flawlessly till now fingers crossed)
9. Brembo OE Replacement Pads.

Will post some pictures soon.

Take care.
Old 4th May 2016, 01:19   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuraj View Post

1. RCD 510 Bosch RVC Edition.
2. Cabin light
4. New Model Steering Wheel
5. Highline BCM
6. 3D mats
7. 70% VLT tints without front glass install
8. VCDS clone 12.12 Cable ( It does work flawlessly till now fingers crossed)
9. Brembo OE Replacement Pads.

Will post some pictures soon.

Take care.
Some pictures please! Also Skoda diesel cluster? That would would have white illumination if i am not mistaken, How well does it go with the red lights around?

Also try getting the clone 15.7 version, You can access several more things with that.

Congrats on the upgrades.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 10:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think its about time you post the pictures and all the updates Suraj.

I remember the last time we spoke you were all excited about the parts arrival and were only waiting to head to Cochin for the fitment.

I could figure out all the other mods but a bit on "VCDS clone 12.12 Cable" !! What exactly is that and how does it help?
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 02:00   #64
BHPian

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Some pictures please! Also Skoda diesel cluster? That would would have white illumination if i am not mistaken, How well does it go with the red lights around?

Also try getting the clone 15.7 version, You can access several more things with that.

Congrats on the upgrades.
Thank you.

I have attached some pictures taken from my phone around a couple of hours back. Will ask my friend's DSLR to take some pictures.Sorry for the quality.

The Cluster suits fine. Only minor difference apart from change in the look is that when you start the car it shows up as Skoda Information System. Nothing else is changed. Apart from this, I have all the warning lights which were present in my Old Cluster. This is the major change compared to other petrol cluster since the maxi dot cluster installed in my car is from a diesel car. It is from a 2012-2013 Skoda Fabia Diesel .

I have not got any coolant connector from VW so just connected that corresponding pin to ground to avoid low coolant warning.

About the new clone cable,please send me the link tanveer and may I also know what are the new features added on top of 12.12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I think its about time you post the pictures and all the updates Suraj.

I remember the last time we spoke you were all excited about the parts arrival and were only waiting to head to Cochin for the fitment.

I could figure out all the other mods but a bit on "VCDS clone 12.12 Cable" !! What exactly is that and how does it help?
Not excited Vikram but at peace since everything fell in place finally. The plan was due from quite some time. The cluster was in Kochi in December 2015 itself. Either me or Mr. Sugesh were not free every single time. Finally things fell in place last week and completed the same.

VCDS clone cable is a cable which does everything that specific version of VCDS software does. The cable costed me around 20 USD to arrive home. I followed our GT TDI DIY Guru Gannu and got it from the same seller. I am slowly going stage by stage else I will empty the bank balance if I do every single thing I want to do in one shot. Also, I cannot only think about this car, I have to take care of the OTHER car also.

Also added the Automatic interior dimming IVRM. Sorry forgot to mention it in the last post. Visit to Madhus in this week for balancing and alignment as I just covered 5000 kms post last visit.

The brembo brake pad is seriously worth the money spent. There is a marked difference in initial bite and the pedal feels a lot better. Regarding braking I can say that the brakes give up a little later. I think when it comes to brakes VW skimped on giving bigger 288mm Front calipers and all around discs. The Nose heavy and additional weight of diesel makes it a little more worse compared to the TSi. In short, the brakes are relatively bad compared to the performance under the hood of the Polo GT twins. That's my opinion but I don't know about how other members feel about the same.

Note to all co- GT owners. There are two types of calipers assembled in India for the GT TSI/TDI. Depending on the type the cost varies. I paid around 2400 INR( older model) and got the same from Yolo performance Chennai. The newer model is around 3900 INR when I ordered. You need to check the caliper or send VIN to distributor to find out which type fits into your car else it will be a hassle to both the seller and the buyer.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_225722.jpg  

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_225733.jpg  

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_230907.jpg  

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_230910.jpg  

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_230916.jpg  

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_233339.jpg  

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_230929.jpg  

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_230922.jpg  

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_233327.jpg  

2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!-20160504_230939.jpg  

psuraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 00:23   #65
BHPian

Quote:

Take care.
Hi Suraj,

Can you please let me know from where you sourced the Fabia MaxiDot cluster? I have been asking Sugesh from VagTune about the cluster for a while now, but he has been shying away saying that procuring it will be very difficult. Also, if you don't mind, can you also share how much money the cluster cost you?
Old 20th October 2017, 13:36   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekCherian View Post
Hi Suraj,

Can you please let me know from where you sourced the Fabia MaxiDot cluster? I have been asking Sugesh from VagTune about the cluster for a while now, but he has been shying away saying that procuring it will be very difficult. Also, if you don't mind, can you also share how much money the cluster cost you?
Apologies for the delayed response, Mr. Sugesh only procured it for me and helped me in installing it also. Regarding prices please speak to him. I got many things from him so did not bother with the cost break up.

Update to all fellow Team-BHPians and readers.

I went through a horrible ordeal 5 months back. I wanted to pursue my post graduation hence took the laura (petrol - usage is less) and left this car with dad since his daily running was higher than mins apart from it being a hatchback helps in Bangalore traffic. The car went for a yearly service and without my father's approval, they went ahead with the ECU Update. This is where the problems started. My fuel pump at the tank side failed within 50 kms of the update. Dont know if it is coincidence or due to update. My father got it rectified the next day.

Within 3 days of changing the fuel pump, the car refused to start. The vehicle was towed to VW Rajajinagar service station. After more than a week of diagnosis, we came to know that high-pressure fuel pump, the rails had failed.The reason was found that the car had run lean due to the update thereby damaging the parts.
Me being a mechanical engineer couldn't believe all this. At 30000+ kms, these parts shouldn't give up. So spoke to Mr. Ali, wonderful person who helped me & my dad a lot. Now, there was another loaner car (Vento 1.6 TDI owned by service center- confirmed) which had run more than 1.5 lakh kms. Swapped the faulty parts & ECU from my car with that car and my car was running fine.The car was driven extensively and it was confirmed that these two parts had failed.
Now, my car did not have extended warranty and the bill was astronomical as you can imagine.Although Mr. Ali was instrumental on taking the customer's side (my side) and raised a red flag against the ECU Update. This was approved by VW finally after a lot of checks and people from the plant visiting and checking the car to confirm everything claimed by me & Mr. Ali. My father spent a lot of money on taking cabs for his daily running which amounted to a huge sum but we did not pay anything to VW for this.
The whole process took more than 3 months for various approvals and when the new parts came my father was picked up by service center personnel at "his" convenience to look at all the new parts which had arrived before going into the car. The work was carried out meticulously and my father was informed almost on a daily basis along with pictures attached as proof.

After going through all this, my father decided to sell the car and we sold within a week of getting the car back. After seeing the car in workshop and photos he said he has no confidence to use the car on daily basis anymore. I reluctantly agreed.

I wanted the future owner know every single thing which had happened with the car as it is unethical and amounts to cheating if the facts are hidden. Needless to say, the buyer was super happy with this and paid more than what my father expected and the car has been trouble free for him so far.

I removed the maxidot cluster, RCD 510 and the upgraded BCM before giving the car which I have it with me. I only gave the old steering along with car.

It was a really special car and I miss the car a lot.

To replace this car, my father told it has to be a VW again due to impeccable support from the service center (Rajajinagar) and VW. Kudos to both of them.

We got home a GT TSI more than a month before and it is a brilliant car.

I cannot disclose the source of this credible information but I am not alone in this and it is not the first 1.6 GT TDI/Vento in India to face such an issue.

PS: I shall try to dig the map version which was the last update before emission issue & flow restrictor fitment.
Fellow 1.6 TDI owners please share your ECU map version (before update for emission issues) as it may help the readers/owners alike.

My sincere suggestions:

1.If you have still not got the ECU update never get it. It is not reversible by the service center. They will say its reversible but its not. Confirmed by higher-ups in VW.

2.If you have got the update and thinking the car is running fine, you are lucky & I hope you don't end up like how I did.

3. I strongly recommend going in for a remap probably a mild one from Petes,ToT or any of the reputed tuners or get a backup of your ECU.

Disclaimer: No one has paid anything to me nor I have paid Mr. Ali or anyone for claiming from VW.

Hopfeully I should write two ownership reports within some time.

Moderators: Please close this thread as the car is now sold.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th October 2017 at 15:36. Reason: B2B posts
psuraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 15:37   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Moderators: Please close this thread as the car is now sold.
There is no need to close the thread simply because the car is sold. _ Support Team
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 23:59   #68
BHPian

Quote:

PS: I shall try to dig the map version which was the last update before emission issue & flow restrictor fitment.
Fellow 1.6 TDI owners please share your ECU map version (before update for emission issues) as it may help the readers/owners alike.
That's a very informative & helpful read. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you kindly advise if there is a way to find out the version of the current map the ECU is running without using the VAG cable or OBD port ?
Old 31st December 2017, 12:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Flash Red VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI Ownership Report EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Apologies for the delayed response, Mr. Sugesh only procured it for me and helped me in installing it also. Regarding prices please speak to him. I got many things from him so did not bother with the cost break up.

Update to all fellow Team-BHPians and readers.

I went through a horrible ordeal 5 months back. I wanted to pursue my post graduation hence took the laura (petrol - usage is less) and left this car with dad since his daily running was higher than mins apart from it being a hatchback helps in Bangalore traffic. The car went for a yearly service and without my father's approval, they went ahead with the ECU Update. This is where the problems started. My fuel pump at the tank side failed within 50 kms of the update. Dont know if it is coincidence or due to update. My father got it rectified the next day.

Now, my car did not have extended warranty and the bill was astronomical as you can imagine.Although Mr. Ali was instrumental on taking the customer's side (my side) and raised a red flag against the ECU Update. This was approved by VW finally after a lot of checks and people from the plant visiting and checking the car to confirm everything claimed by me & Mr. Ali. My father spent a lot of money on taking cabs for his daily running which amounted to a huge sum but we did not pay anything to VW for this.
The whole process took more than 3 months for various approvals and when the new parts came my father was picked up by service center personnel at "his" convenience to look at all the new parts which had arrived before going into the car. The work was carried out meticulously and my father was informed almost on a daily basis along with pictures attached as proof.

I wanted the future owner know every single thing which had happened with the car as it is unethical and amounts to cheating if the facts are hidden. Needless to say, the buyer was super happy with this and paid more than what my father expected and the car has been trouble free for him so far.
I am not surprised but I am speechless at the lackadaisical approach of VW who are simply careless about putting out new technology. It also vindicates a lot of us include myself who were reluctant to update our ECU for fear of untold gremlins.

For all their talk about engineering, technology etc I think it is time German manufacturers study how their Japanese counterparts use simple technology to achieve 90% of capability but way more reliability. Unless they crack this they are never going to be anything more than a minor player in the Indian market.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed