Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2015, 08:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Next leg of the journey begins - Hyundai Xcent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
That is strange. We do not drive our Xcent on gradients which you encounter, so I cannot comment on its behavior in that specific case. However, in general our Xcent does give signs like shuddering before the engine stalls.
I was just searching around the specs in Hyundai i10 (Old), and the Xcent in Team BHP official review. I think that gave me the explanation of why this car is way sluggish than Hyundai i10.

The old generation Hyundai i10 is about 860 Kg, and has a power to weight ratio of 91.86 BHP/Ton (130 NM/Ton Torque). This Xcent is 958 Kg (About straight 100 Kg more than old i10), and it's power to weight ratio is 86 BHP/Ton (119 NM/Ton torque). That looks small a difference, but old i10 is perceivably superior - enough to change your mood from frustrated to delighted when you have 4 people on-board in general inclines.

So Xcent is in effect, underpowered - Just like it's i20 counterpart, being worse than Xcent . Xcent seems to be the second last among compact sedans, the only worse one below it being Chevrolet Sail.

But I fail to understand why Alto 800 with 77 BHP/Ton (103 NM/Ton torque) goes up (drivable) where Xcent fails in specific terrains. That's purely attributed to the drivability aspect of this car. I'm going to check with service centre as to what could be done about it.

I'm unable to explain what input of mine will make the engine decide to revv up. On highways, shift down to 3rd or 2nd for overtaking a 60 kmph running vehicle, and the engine revv's up to 4K. I don't usually go beyond 70 kmph, mainly because of two lane busy state highways in the state. Shift to neutral on standstill, step on the accelerator and it will revv happily to any range. But on this kind of an incline, put it on first gear and give the accelerator - you don't need clutch longer and the vehicle crawls at a steady pace but engine is silent, even if you then floor the accelerator - I missed to observe what the RPM is, but engine sounds to be in the 1500 RPM range and I don't think it will go beyond that. That's when a few feet ahead the engine stalls without a clue. If I slip the clutch generously (much more than Maruti's), and try to revv up - the engine will revv too high and will cause a wheel spin.

Last edited by roby.thomas : 1st September 2015 at 09:17. Reason: spell correction
Old 13th September 2015, 16:11   #32
BHPian

Clutch play was the culprit for engine stalling at regular occasions

I've finally managed to take it to the Hyundai service centre yesterday to check on the gradient tackling problem, as well as the frequent stalling of engine. Two service advisors took it on the car wash ramp, with a full load of passengers without any problem. I tried it myself and it works. I was utterly confused and almost disappointed that I couldn't make a valid case. The service advisor dismissed my concern and was about to wrap up. That's when he casually decided to take the car on flat ground forward to drop me at the waiting lounge and he ended up stalling the vehicle. That's when he even believed I might at-least partly be true in what I said so far.

He repeated the manoeuvre twice as in waiting for a traffic signal, and he stalled it once more when we least expected it. Then he revealed a fact that my car's clutch had a play, maybe about a couple of centimeters. It was there since the day I bought it. He said this needs to be fixed, and took the car to the service bay. When he came back, he was kind of completely confident that there wouldn't be any more problem. I couldn't believe, but that clutch play seemed to be what was spoiling my joy all along. I haven't faced that regular stalling issues at typical location after clutch play adjustment. I haven't yet had an opportunity to check the gradient handling apart from the ramp test at service centre, so for now I hope for the best.

It is impossible to get the service centre guys agree that there is a problem, unless we are lucky to demonstrate the problem right at their limited service centre real estate.
Old 25th September 2015, 17:39   #33
BHPian

ABS kaput !! Service centre in contact with Hyundai centre

The ABS and parking brake warning light re-appeared yesterday. I took it to service centre. They checked it for a while, reset the error and it didn't reoccur in their premises after that.

However they asked me to get the car back to service centre today morning for a thorough check-up. The service advisor assured me that there is no problem while driving. However, after about 30 minutes of drive back to home from the service centre, it re-appeared.

Today morning, the warning wasn't present when I started off the drive to service centre, but it soon appeared again in about 15 minutes.

Just now, I have the news from the service advisor that some relay in the ABS module which controls valve functioning is errant. The Hyundai centre is informed of the trouble, and the service centre have e-mailed them the video, photographs etc during the diagnostic process. Apparently, this is an expensive affair that has to be executed under warranty, and rectification involves components to arrive from the Chennai plant of theirs, post their diagnosis by technical experts from Hyundai.

They have not committed on a date for correction, but I am to be contacted tomorrow again by the service centre after talks with the Hyundai centre. I had planned for a long trip to Kodaikanal next week, during which I also planned to triage the gradient handling troubles that I was facing in many places. That's now at stake.

Crossing my fingers as to how this would unfold in the end. What's the possibility of getting a service vehicle in the interim if this is going to take a while ? This vehicle is ditching us on important occasions
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:06   #34
BHPian

Hello Sir,

Looking forward to buy this car. How's the xcent doing now? It's been quite long since you updated this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincyf1 View Post
1. Speed Sensing Auto Door Lock is a must need when you have kids seated in your car. Its hard to remember oneself to lock all doors from the door controls available at the driver's seat. I did ask about this with the Service Manager. One of them pointed out that Hyundai has stopped offering this feature altogether. But, I did see it in the new cars that they have released lately. Another guy who I checked with, says that you could get this enabled during the First Service. He asked me to specifically request for enabling this.
Did you enable the Speed Sensing Auto Door Lock after 1st Service?

Regards,
Swapnil
Old 3rd May 2016, 01:07   #35
BHPian

It's been quite a good companion so far. Xcent is a good buy for sure. The comfort this vehicle offers is IMHO the best in the class. The service center said they cannot enable the speed sensing Auto Lock on the car. Although, I have seen a couple of owners in this forum who got it enabled successfully. You may give it a try as well.

Congratulations on your new car!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post
Hello Sir,

Looking forward to buy this car. How's the xcent doing now? It's been quite long since you updated this thread.

Regards,
Swapnil
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincyf1 View Post
Congratulations on your new car!!
Haven't bought the car yet. Just went to a Hyundai showroom to check it out. I simply loved the car. The top end variant has everything one would need. The car would be basically bought for my parents. Will be used mostly in the City and rarely for highway runs. However few people are discouraging us to buy this car stating that we won't get good average and that the ASS in our City is not that good. Lets see what we finally decide.

Regards,
Swapnil
Old 9th May 2016, 12:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
How's the xcent doing now? It's been quite long since you updated this thread.
Hello Swapnil,

I've almost clocked 9850 KM till date, and I've completed an year with this car with an Ooty trip around this weekend. The car has been given out for it's second service.

This car is an all-rounder, and the family practically has enjoyed every moment with it. It is super comfortable on long journey. If I give them a choice to buy another car, probably they will not want it

However the only fly in the ointment is its performance on gradient. You will sweat out to move this car ahead, if you happen to get standstill on a steep gradient. It gives an initial false sense of 'give me all that, I will take it' - but it actually won't.

A couple of ground rules to keep in mind with this car in gradient and all should be good

1. If the gradient is steep, and you have traffic which can get to a halt ahead, don't ever try second gear even if the vehicle is pulling. It won't let you have enough time to shift to 1st and get moving when the second gear suddenly becomes dull and fades out. While you are on 1st, that gear shift indicator will show you that you can upshift, but don't and stay on 1st. Enjoy your engine roar, otherwise you would need to enjoy others honking behind you.

2. If you need to stop-and-go in steep gradient, pull the handbrake, apply full clutch and then press accelerator to take the engine idle RPM to above 3k (You should hear the engine sound). You need to apply full clutch for the engine RPM to climb, otherwise it will give up on load. Then slowly release the clutch (really slow, let the clutch burn, otherwise front wheel will spin), and then release the handbrake - It may look like a general theory but trust me, Maruti does very well in this area without any fuss.

In Ooty pykara lake ascend, I found a Ford Ikon Nxt 1.6 struggling to climb just in front of me, so I was a bit happy that I'm not alone. Though I stalled a couple of times, I pulled out as fast as any other can - And since many folks were stalling, I had enough time to experiment with what actually is happening with this car.

Quote:
No, that's not possible to enable. My better half has become accustomed to remind me to lock the door

I would recommend to buy the automatic transmission variant, and it avoids all the gradient handling troubles too. I guess it is still hard to beat this car in the value for money proposition in the automatic variant, and I sometimes feel sorry for not having opted for it.
Old 10th May 2016, 14:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post

No, that's not possible to enable. My better half has become accustomed to remind me to lock the door
The co-passengers lock also behaves as central locking so your wife can do the needful from her side when she is there
Old 10th May 2016, 17:00   #39
BHPian

Thank You so much. This has almost cleared up my doubts regarding the car. Don't know why but this car has hit the sweet spot. No matter how many people tell me to check out other cars in the 8L budget, I end up praising this car only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
I would recommend to buy the automatic transmission variant, and it avoids all the gradient handling troubles too. I guess it is still hard to beat this car in the value for money proposition in the automatic variant, and I sometimes feel sorry for not having opted for it.
My dad strictly wants a manual car, so this is most probably ruled out. But will check out the Automatic one for sure.

Regards,
Swapnil
Old 13th May 2016, 09:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
The co-passengers lock also behaves as central locking so your wife can do the needful from her side when she is there
Yeah that works, but she mostly occupies the rear seat, while my mom is at the co-passenger seat.

Quote:
T
My dad strictly wants a manual car, so this is most probably ruled out. But will check out the Automatic one for sure.
In that case, Diesel is also a good option. I dismissed the 3 cylinder engine based on reviews, but then I later realized that I don't drive furious highway runs at 100+ KMPH where diesel might show its weakness - So this engine might have served me better with diesel's inherent advantage over such terrains.

By the way, I've got the car back after 2nd service. The total bill is Rs. 3445/-. As usual, not being in town and soliciting them for pickup / drop and service shows up in the bill. There is an A/C disinfection line item for Rs. 500/-, which I didn't ask them to do. It should be that useless 3M spray (god knows if they actually used it). However, they could have charged it as the pick-up / drop charges which is more appropriate. Also, I don't know what that accessory fitment and adjustment charge is, I didn't ask for any.

Next leg of the journey begins - Hyundai Xcent-2nd-service-receipts1pixelated.jpg

I've had requested for wheel alignment, and to prove the point that they did it - they have attached the alignment report.

Next leg of the journey begins - Hyundai Xcent-2nd-service-receipts2cleaned.jpg

Good to see that the authorized service centre these days leaves the replaced part with us, in its original cover of the new one to prove that they replaced it. It's a welcome move by Hyundai. I found the old engine air filter in the trunk, in the new one's carton.
Old 17th August 2017, 19:36   #41
BHPian

It's been a long time I've updated this thread. It was pretty much uneventful until April end when we went for a Bangalore-Mysore trip from my hometown. Before the journey date, I happened to scrape the front bumper against another car for which I owned up the mistake, but wasn't entirely my fault - I wasn't expecting that guy to halt abruptly.

It was a damage to be ignored, but then I decided to get the whole of front bumper painted as there were other scratches in and around which had accumulated over these two years. And my third service was due next week, so decided to get this done along with the service and the long route drive would add a few kilometers too to the odometer.

The event

We set on for the journey and on the return path a mishap occurred. I took the Nilgiri return route and was following behind a truck downhill. The lorry being big and wide enough made a huge pothole right in between and ran over that, but I didn't even see that there was a pothole. I straight away ran into it, but the worst was something else. There was a huge rock kept inside the pothole which I could in no way see from my seating position. The car hit it's under belly and shook violently and felt like something broke apart from car and was being dragged on the road. I expected everything beneath to be damaged and was so depressed. Until I came out of car, I didn't realize it was a rock inside that huge pothole. But apparently, nothing happened and I got a few nice folks to look around the bottom and all was clear. Fingers crossed, we drove back safely to home.

Third Free Service

The next day, I headed to VTJ Hyundai for the third free service and front bumper painting job. I told the service advisor that such a mishap occurred and there must be some damage beneath. The advisor told me that if it has hit any cross arm and caused a bent, it would be an expensive affair But upon finishing the service and paint job for the bumper I was told that no damage was there, which was hard to believe, but then we thanked our luck.

I was handed over a bill of 4210/- for third free service and 4600/- for the full front bumper paining and so the story stopped there, I thought.

Next leg of the journey begins - Hyundai Xcent-2017817_547203.jpgNext leg of the journey begins - Hyundai Xcent-2017817_547202.jpg

Fast forward to July end

I also had some personal health issues which practically left the car unused for longer drives for about 2 months since then. Then on one occasion, I had to sit at the rear left seat working on my laptop, and then suddenly I felt myself uncomfortable that I doesn't seem to have enough room to keep my leg. I look down to see what has gone beneath my leg and I see this

Next leg of the journey begins - Hyundai Xcent-dscf4069.jpg

This was the moment I realized, the old story was not all to be forgotten. But I was still hoping that it was the vinyl flooring which has bulged up for some reason and the service center had given a clean chit, but it was so hard that I could literally stand on it and it wouldn't flex. Anyway the next weekend I had a longer trip and so far there weren't any troubles.

On the next weekend trip, when we reached the destination city and was stuck in a traffic, the engine RPM suddenly rose up without me stepping on accelerator. I pulled to the side, turned off the engine and when I started back everything was normal except ABS indicator is lit. This was my first long trip after the third service, and I went to Popular Hyundai which was closer to me in that town. They connected the OBD diagnostic kit and told me that it was the wheel sensor fault and had to be replaced. I also told them about the floor bulged up, and he took it to the ramp and called me up to show the story. It was actually the stone hit, and including fuel tank has a slight dent. But luckily no other damage. I was advised to get the floor leveled at the earliest when I return to my town.

Now, the vehicle is at MGF Hyundai service center in Kochi for the same repair. A few shots of the damage attached.

Next leg of the journey begins - Hyundai Xcent-dscf4075.jpgNext leg of the journey begins - Hyundai Xcent-dscf4076.jpg
roby.thomas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks