Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2015, 20:54   #16
BHPian

Re: New family member - Purple Cheetah Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD Facelift

It's curse becaz, I've the habit of combing my hair watching the ORVM which I'm unable to do ;-)

Jokes apart - Once I unlock and get in the car, I may not always insert keys immediately, but I may wait for someone - at this time, I may want ORVM to be opened to monitor traffic, etc.

Instead of this feature, I would be happy if the windows roll up automatically once I lock the car - I haven't checked if the feature is there.

Btw I checked after folding the 2nd row seats - it doesn't show up any humps, it's almost flat.

Even after I updated the engine/chassis and other details, Blue sense app isn't working still - my relationship manager said, the SW developers are aware of the issue and they're working on it. If it works for anyone, let me know.

Btw my navigation version shows as "NAVIMaps version: 1.6.0 (113736)" - let me know if anyone has an updated ver.
Old 27th July 2015, 10:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Thanks, it's good to know you don't have these issues. I'll check about update. However, shouldn't they update to latest before they deliver? You took delivery before me (or your update must have happened before my delivery).
Your comment about Bluetooth disconnection is interesting. The only connection from my iPhone to the system is via Bluetooth and while playing songs stored in my phone, how can it disconnect Bluetooth itself?
Yes, plz check and let me know.
Hey Sathya!

About Software Version Update
Mine was delivered on June 26th. Your's is relatively new. So you are correct logically. But you know what, M&M technicians at manufacturing plant can make mistakes. The ones like this are probably hard to find for them

About Bluetooth Connectivity
I meant that scenario for cabled iPhone connection - that's what turns your iPhone into iPod. The discovery i made and later learnt through the user manual is this. I connected iPhone over bluetooth. It automatically gets connected for Music as well as Phone. But when it started running out of battery on my Ooty drive, I connected it via cable into USB slot. I saw that infotainment showing up message as - iPod connected. When checked the phone, the iPhone was disconnected. So for me to use the phone via bluetooth (which is more important for me) I again manually connected the iPhone for phone via Setting->Phone->Paired Devices menu. So now iPod is disconnected and back to phone as earlier. All I am doing now is drawing the power from the USB slot. If you are using the music from iPhone via Bluetooth, there is absolutely no issues. I have used it continuously for around an hour or so and its good.

About Auto Wiper
Yes, you are right. As soon as you power off vehicle, the auto wiper settings become OFF. I think it's a good feature considering I parked the car and if something is fallen on the windshield, it would start scratching against the glass when wiper automatically come up.
Old 27th July 2015, 12:10   #18
BHPian

Congratulations Sathya!! Very detailed and informative review of your vehicle, which I was not expecting! Please regularly update your experience with the beast. XUV has a long learning curve, the more you share the more you and other BHPians learn from each other.

The color looks awesome on XUV, let's catch up soon, I have never been into XUV till now !
Old 27th July 2015, 20:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Hey Sathya!

About Software Version Update
Mine was delivered on June 26th. Your's is relatively new. So you are correct logically. But you know what, M&M technicians at manufacturing plant can make mistakes. The ones like this are probably hard to find for them
Makes sense. I'll follow up with Relationship manager (RSM).

Quote:
About Bluetooth Connectivity
I meant that scenario for cabled iPhone connection - that's what turns your iPhone into iPod. The discovery i made and later learnt through the user manual is this. I connected iPhone over bluetooth. It automatically gets connected for Music as well as Phone. But when it started running out of battery on my Ooty drive, I connected it via cable into USB slot. I saw that infotainment showing up message as - iPod connected. When checked the phone, the iPhone was disconnected. So for me to use the phone via bluetooth (which is more important for me) I again manually connected the iPhone for phone via Setting->Phone->Paired Devices menu. So now iPod is disconnected and back to phone as earlier. All I am doing now is drawing the power from the USB slot. If you are using the music from iPhone via Bluetooth, there is absolutely no issues. I have used it continuously for around an hour or so and its good.
Ok I got you. I've charged it using charger that goes into charging point, not tried to connect to USB slot. Btw the 'chuk chuk' noise we (myself and Tanveer) are hearing, occurs with the phone call (via bluetooth). I can't check the music glitch with direct USB port charging, as the glitch occurs when I switch across USB stick and phone songs.

Quote:
About Auto Wiper
Yes, you are right. As soon as you power off vehicle, the auto wiper settings become OFF. I think it's a good feature considering I parked the car and if something is fallen on the windshield, it would start scratching against the glass when wiper automatically come up.
You needn't power off the vehicle. Just turn off the engine only and turn on, the auto wiper setting isn't retained. This is a flaw, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Congratulations Sathya!! Very detailed and informative review of your vehicle, which I was not expecting! Please regularly update your experience with the beast. XUV has a long learning curve, the more you share the more you and other BHPians learn from each other.

The color looks awesome on XUV, let's catch up soon, I have never been into XUV till now !
Thanks Kiran. Sure, let's catch up.

BTW as compared to SX4, I'm finding that, rolling down the power windows need more efforts and there is a lag too. @Abirnale, @Tanveer - do you guys notice it too?
Old 27th July 2015, 22:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You needn't power off the vehicle. Just turn off the engine only and turn on, the auto wiper setting isn't retained. This is a flaw, imho.
BTW as compared to SX4, I'm finding that, rolling down the power windows need more efforts and there is a lag too. @Abirnale, @Tanveer - do you guys notice it too?
Yep. Its the ignition cycle - the auto wiper settings are NOT retained beyond the ignition cycle. Not ON/OFF - ignition cycle is different than just ACC-ON-OFF cycles.

Not really. The power windows are pretty much functioning the same way as I used to have in SX4 with one difference. The Auto Up and Down actually gets activated instead of up and down at my will. I mean I am not able to change my habit of holding the window until it comes up or goes down to the height I want. Instead the Auto UP/ Down gets triggered.
Old 27th July 2015, 23:34   #21
BHPian

W10 has auto roll up feature for the power windows - that makes a difference for you. W8 doesn't have it.
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:21   #22
BHPian

Another issue I'm finding recently - auto roll down of driver windows isn't working consistently. Forwarded this thread to Mahindra and the GM from Service department at Sireesh told me, he forwarded it to their R & D people. Hoping to hear back from them !
Old 19th August 2015, 17:04   #23
BHPian

Alright. There were many progress so far, want to give an update.

Foremost, Mahindra's R & D team in Chennai had a detailed phone call with me couple of weeks ago. It went for ~3 hours or so. They discussed all points I raised, acknowledged the bugs as applicable, for few issues they wanted to inspect my vehicle, few of them they explained why it was designed so. It was an excellent discussion with them, I learned many things about regulations, etc.

Post that, yesterday they visited my office (Yes, they came down to Bangalore), listened to my complaints, took the car to service station and delivered it in the evening.

The R & D team manager, team lead and an engineer (along with DGM Service, Sireesh auto) visited.

These are the updates:

Quote:
1) After turning on the infotainment system, when I press "Navigation" button - it takes many seconds to come up and screen is blank all throughout. Hmmm, Mahindra!! Why not a status text or a progress bar? If there is no GPS signal, then it takes more time to show up.
They've updated the SW now, I'll be checking if I hit this issue again. Even if loading takes time, there should be a static image instead of blank screen, according to them.

Quote:
2) I didn't expect this but happened. Most places in chennai, navigator kept saying "no signal" - even within city areas. It taught me a key lesson - it's not good to rely on this in-built navigation, keep the backup (mobile phone maps) always. But when it finds the signal, it works well.
It happened in Bangalore too. Root cause was simple. The ganesha idol was kept just on the spot where antenna was underlying - it had aluminium coating which may have interfered. Moved it to another place now (see pic). They've informed the sales team/dealers to not place it here anymore. I'll check out if the signal will be good with this change.

Quote:
3) Once a while, while turning on the audio system, it starts playing from the very first song of the USB key (as if it's plugged in for the first time) rather than from where it left off. Couple this issue with the problem that it doesn't have an option to skip to prev/next folders, it's the most annoying bug. Imagine, after playing 100 songs, if it starts playing from 1st song in next boot, literally it takes many movements to reach position it left off. I tried to workaround it by turning on shuffling and after many skip tracks I may get a bit closer to the last played track but it's not easy anyway.

3) This is one thing I hate the most - Sorting and menu options of music playback. Folder view isn't supported, not all songs will have all the tags available so can't see all songs in list easily, scrolling the album list is very counter-intuitive, folder jump controls aren't present (only can skip current track). It was a feature discontinued from previous version. Why Mahindra why?
The SW upgraded now has stability fixes too, so hoping this issue (songs plays from very beginning) goes away. Browsing folders is possible by scrolling up/down the left pane (in list window) - it was possible originally itself, no upgrade was needed.

Quote:
4) SMS read-out on/off option is given in settings but it doesn't work at all. So no notifications itself on receiving SMS.
I needed to turn on notifications for the BT device in my iPhone and then had to remove my phone device in BT settings in infotainment options and pair the iPhone through BT again, it works cool !!!

Quote:
5) Up/Down arrow keys don't work even to scroll up/down the songs list or phone book. Scrolling is a pain, indeed.
Current SW version doesn't support these keys, except photo browsing.

Quote:
6) Mahindra Blue Sense App doesn't work. I don't think it's a problem with iOS only. Without the app, I can't monitor tyre pressure precisely and other status/controls.
App is under certification with Apple, would be available soon. It works fine for Android and Windows. My RSM had an Android phone and it worked well.

Quote:
7) "Auto headlights" - even during better lit situations around 5pm, it ends up turning on the lights. NOOOOO. Why do I like it? I'm still exploring with it, to see if it ever makes sense under any circumstances.
They explained, it's programmed for specific Lux values. If there are not enough lighting in the sensor area (top middle portion of windshield) then it'll lit. I drive with this off during daytime.

Quote:
8) When I skip to next or previous track while playing audio, for a brief time (~0.5 Sec) the current track plays after a brief pause and then it skips to new track - it's a glitch. In any player, we would expect it skips to new track just immediately without a glitch. It's very annoying. It happens more frequently.
They noticed with specific songs, they're working on.

Quote:
10) After turning on the dial (engine started or not, doesn't matter), default display comes in the touch screen that shows date/time. At this time, if there's pop up window due to any settings change like fan, AC, etc - I'm unable to turn on the music system until the pop up disappears.
Works as per design. Pop up is momentary so live with it.

Quote:
11) The fuel bars aren't accurate. For 70 liters capacity, 10 bars in the dial, makes a bar equal to 7 liters each. But when I refilled diesel 2nd time, I saw only 4 bars left, (= 6 bars of fuel used up = 6 x 7 =) 42 liters only. But she drank about 50 liters (= 7 bars of fuel). I would be ok with +/- 2 liters but not an error of 1 bar. Will watch more here.
Use this as a reference only, fuel info on the panel must be dependent upon. In fact, even if it says 0 Kms left, still they reserved some fuel so it'll run for a km or so. It's for our benefit.

Quote:
12) Voice command error of mis-recognizing some names is seen. Many times, it refuses to get few names however else I tried to pronounce. This was when I tried to call someone using voice command. I'll train him more.
There is no specific fix for this but (as I thought) they suggested me to spend more time 'training' the system and it'll get better.

Quote:
13) Cruise control - after I lock up cruise at a particular speed X, I see that, it drives between X up to (X+5 or even X+7 kmph). I won't expect that to happen, but it happens. So I need to account for this too and setup the speed less than the max I would intend to run. Yikes! It's a bad option. Resume button doesn't take it back to previously set cruise speed. +/- buttons don't seem to increase/decrease the cruise speed.
They couldn't take a look at it yesterday. I'll let the service person test it and I'll try to record the sequence and send them.

Quote:
1) In-built navigation: Typing isn't very intuitive especially if it's a longer name. There is a noticeable lag while typing. Though the phone call screen doesn't occupy whole screen over the map, yet it's almost half. I can't minimize it too. So if you are on call while navigating, you're on your own directions until call is cut.
They explained, the lag is primarily due to the search algorithm running in the background. I suggested to run as separate thread but improve the speed while typing .

Quote:
4) "Auto wiper aka rain sensing wiper" works fine - however, the enable setting isn't remembered !! Across signals on a rainy day, if I turn off/on the engine, I need to turn on the auto wiper setting each time. IS IT BY DESIGN, MAHINDRA? Very bad design. The whole idea of seamless wiping is pointless if I have to "remember" to turn it on after each engine start.
It needs to calibrate so it can't be remembered. But luckily I see that, it's being remembered during auto engine start/stop, so it works for me.

Quote:
How long idling is required? Auto engine start/stop - what's the break-even point?
They said, hardly few seconds of idling is more than sufficient - especially after a long bumper-to-bumper riding in city. Even manual suggests few seconds of idling only.

Auto engine start/stop approx equals to 3 sec's of idling. So they said it makes sense to keep it on during normal city driving conditions.

Quote:
9) In the previous XUV version, the USB slot was in bottom compartment (where the mobile charger was present) - this was very intuitive, it doesn't obstruct the hand movements while playing with panel controls and safe from children as well. I'm missing this benefit now. USB port is now in the slot just below the volume control (where the CD player was present in old model).
The music and radio buttons are partly hidden now.
It was done after the complaints with the old model. The only way is to use tiny USB.

Quote:
11) "Auto engine on/off" - If I see that traffic is heavily congested, I wanted to turn on this feature.
-- Engine is already on
-- Turn on this setting (it won't take effect)
-- Turn off the engine (but music system is on) and then turn on this setting (still it won't take effect)
-- I need to fully turn off everything, turn on this setting and only then it works. Make it easier Mahindra !!
It works, provided Cheetah goes to speeds greater than 10 kmph and then comes to standstill. I tested and it works this way.

Quote:
12) Be a little more intuitive Mahindra - Why not the reverse gear be designed to shift in the reverse direction instead of forward movement?
It's because, gear ratio of reverse gear matches closely with 1st gear.

Quote:
16) I can feel the Turbo-lag of the engine. After I shift any gear upwards, little after 1 or 2 seconds, I can see that the car revs up faster without even throttling - initially it scared me, but now I look forward to it. But be careful in city traffic, you may hit someone. In the highways, I'm anyway revving the throttle so this effect isn't noticed.
It's because, the available torque is passed to power up the engine.

Quote:
19) There are no reading lamps in 3rd row.
Removed because of feedback from previous version that no one is using it. Hmmm !

Quote:
20) I preferred having the sound when I lock/unlock the car using remote key. I'm missing the feature (only the lights flash). Strangely it sounds 4 times when I lock it in covered areas like my parking place at home, etc (not in the parking places outside). What design is it Mahindra?
It sounds only if any door isn't properly closed, still it'll lock the car. But enabling this alarm option for normal locking/unlocking isn't an option.

Quote:
- The horn sound is low compared to SX4. Cabin insulation is one reason, otherwise also I felt it low (my Dad noticed too). When the song plays little louder itself, I couldn't hear the horn sound.
It's low as per regulations.

Quote:
1. Reverse camera - A must.. I'm waiting for the stock. Hari said he would let me know when it arrives.
The SW enables it but there won't be any dynamic assist functionality. I'm still waiting for the part to be available.

Quote:
1) when inbuilt navigation didn't have gps signal, I was using my iPhone maps application (it connected to car thro Bluetooth). To give me voice message for navigation, I was hoping it'll use car speakers but it gave me a phone call instead.
They wanted to see this behavior. But I couldn't as we didn't drive together. It's a pending item now.

Quote:
7) once on down hill with hill decent control activated, I had to hard press the brake when I saw a hump, but lost control of vehicle - it's on rolling even if I press brake, brake pedal was so hard, reverse gear didn't engage, etc - after 300 mtrs it turned back and I'm saved.

2) while trying to turn on engine when signal turned green in city, "hill decent control can't be activated" warning comes up & it refuses to turn on engine - odo shows ERROR instead of kms. After a minute or so, it turned on.
Both issues were because a part was loosened. They reproduced the issue in the service shop yesterday and they showed me the video. They fixed it now.

Quote:
3) unable to browse all folders in USB key (sometimes it shows all folders, sometimes it's not). It started happening after the map SW update done.
The map SW was up-to-date but still the service folks said they can re-flash it to see the navigation issues go away. This was done last week. But after this, some of the song folders in my USB key weren't shown - it happens once in a while. Yesterday this issue didn't happen.

Quote:
4) 'chuk chuk' sound from dashboard area while on calls through Bluetooth
They acknowledged this issue. The fix will be available soon.

Quote:
5) hand brake not tight during up hill parking (car rolls down)
Hand brake is a mechanical part so can't help. We must pull it up harder/more - engaging gear is the recommended option along with hand brake.

Quote:
8) after I took phone call through BlueTooth, when I disconnected, instead of continuing the USB playback ICE hung for few sec's & restarted. Then it starts to play from very beginning as if it's a new USB drive.
I need to check if the issue goes away as there are some stability improvements done in upgraded SW.

Quote:
9) I hear a thug sound when I go over humps
During my ooty trip (yet to update travelogue with pics), I had to go over a bigger hump and heard a noise that bottom of the vehicle was hit. They said, no damage was observed (they inspected the bottom of the vehicle), except there is a slight (1 degree) deviation of front right wheel. They aligned the wheels yesterday but still a sturt must be replaced as it's bent now. It's not very severe but if I leave it for long, it results in Tyre wear. Sireesh DGM agreed to replace it as a good-will with no cost to be paid by me (Thanks Sireesh !!). I already got a call from service manager who will replace it sometime this week. I liked the faster follow up.

Other points:----

Seat covers - except front row seats, we can put covers to all other seats, they said. Front two seats have air-bags so covers shouldn't be put.

I've purchased extended warranty.

I spent good time talking with them yesterday. They were discussing many things related to XUV. They showed me their test vehicle, which was originally W8 but they converted to a W10 !!

They told me, they were following the Tbhp thread on XUV met with accident (toppled). He was explaining why ESP and others didn't work, why they didn't enable in those cases specifically etc.

Overall experience interacting with Mahindra/Sireesh teams - Thumbs up folks !! You're excellent in customer orientation

Watch this space more, will post further updates to some of the issues.
Attached Thumbnails
New family member - Purple Cheetah Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD Facelift-img_4393.jpg  

sathya_nars is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 17:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Great update Sathya! Even my experience with Sireesh had been great.

On the idol placement on the dash - in my XUV5OO its placed at the exact same place as it was in yours earlier and I never had these issues with signal. Its a different story that one day after parking in sun the idol came out and I have not put it back yet!

It would be great if you post those learnings from ESPs etc you discussed on the relevant thread or here.

And hey, same pinch - I too first took my XUV5OO to Ooty
Old 16th September 2015, 08:39   #25
BHPian

Some pics from my ooty trip.
Attached Thumbnails
New family member - Purple Cheetah Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD Facelift-img_4298.jpg  

New family member - Purple Cheetah Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD Facelift-img_4131.jpg  

New family member - Purple Cheetah Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD Facelift-img_4258.jpg  

New family member - Purple Cheetah Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD Facelift-img_4360.jpg  

sathya_nars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:53   #26
BHPian

I just finished Hyderabad trip. Onward trip B'lore-Hyd (includes some runs in city for couple of weeks before the highway drive) mileage was 12.7 Kmpl and return trip (again, includes some drive within city + drive to film city in outskirts of Hyd) was 13 Kmpl. Both are with AC on always.

I filled Nitrogen air just before I left to Hyd and filled it again yesterday (came from Hyd on Sunday night). The pressure was almost 32 psi on all tyres. After running for ~1400 kms, pressure was almost maintained was a sweet surprise (SX4 wasn't this case, it would show up 2 or 3 psi less for this kind of a long run). Of course, I fill air within 3-4 Kms of driving back home, so tyres aren't hot.

Problems noticed :
- GPS hardly works (Going to chennai tomorrow and Mahindra R & D people are picking up my Cheetah for inspection/fixing)
- "Hill Decent Control not activated" warning (along with ERROR display in odo) came up again while I didn't activate HDC in city, they're going to take a look

What went well?
- (I think, after the SW upgrade) Cruise works like a breeze. Almost all throughout I was setting cruise speed 120 to 130 Kmph. This mileage was surprising with this speed on highway.
- AC was very effective, it cooled very quickly
- Number of passengers hardly matters for pickup

Will give further update after my Chennai trip.
sathya_nars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:37   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of this feature, I would be happy if the windows roll up automatically once I lock the car - I haven't checked if the feature is there.
Had missed commenting on this earlier. In my W10 I have checked that even after I switch off the engine, I can manually raise or lower window glasses (all 4) for some time. I once left the second row window glass lowered and switched off the engine using stop button. It shut off everything like music, engine, etc. But then in a minute realising the window is still down, used driver side control to pull up that window and it came up. No re-starting car was required. So I can say that for a limited time even after switching off the engine, car would allow you to roll up or down the windows manually.

Not sure if Mahindra has some hack that would allow users to set the Auto-up window settings as soon as car is locked either through remote or request sensor on door handles.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I filled Nitrogen air just before I left to Hyd and filled it again yesterday (came from Hyd on Sunday night). The pressure was almost 32 psi on all tyres. After running for ~1400 kms, pressure was almost maintained was a sweet surprise (SX4 wasn't this case, it would show up 2 or 3 psi less for this kind of a long run). Of course, I fill air within 3-4 Kms of driving back home, so tyres aren't hot.
I have done many 1500+ KM trip in my Figo + XM2 + Nitrogen. Mostly the dip is either 1 or 2. I used to go upto 5000 KM before I do the refill in my general use. I am using Nitrogen only for the past 5 years and less worry / refill visit about air pressure
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Had missed commenting on this earlier. In my W10 I have checked that even after I switch off the engine, I can manually raise or lower window glasses (all 4) for some time. I once left the second row window glass lowered and switched off the engine using stop button. It shut off everything like music, engine, etc. But then in a minute realising the window is still down, used driver side control to pull up that window and it came up. No re-starting car was required. So I can say that for a limited time even after switching off the engine, car would allow you to roll up or down the windows manually.

Not sure if Mahindra has some hack that would allow users to set the Auto-up window settings as soon as car is locked either through remote or request sensor on door handles.
Yes. It was because, it takes sometime for system to shut down fully, I too saw that I'm able to roll up/down without keys inserted too.

I was referring to a feature, if it's there, it'll help. Windows to roll up automatically after I lock the car, so even if I forget to roll up, I needn't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I have done many 1500+ KM trip in my Figo + XM2 + Nitrogen. Mostly the dip is either 1 or 2. I used to go upto 5000 KM before I do the refill in my general use. I am using Nitrogen only for the past 5 years and less worry / refill visit about air pressure
I've been using Nitrogen since my SX4 time, it's a nice thing for the cars
sathya_nars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 21:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I am facing exactly the same issue, Its very annoying and i have stopped using the Bluetooth for answering the calls all together! Another niggle that has to be mentioned when the car is due for service. Slowly but surely the list of niggles is increasing.
Same issue for me as well. I noticed in on day 1 when I was taking a long call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks