Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 16:16   #1
BHPian

Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review

Why lodgy:
========
After driving Swift for about 9 years I was in a big dilemma as what car I should. Should I again go to Maruti or the other players in the market. Again started gathering the requirements , few of the important ones are as below.
1. Need a car that can fit close to 7 people when really needed.
2. I use the car mostly for highway rides as my commute to office is taken care by my RE.
3. Reliable and Powerful.
4. Decent FE
5. Not much of a fan of equipment/gadgets in the car.
6. Looks - Does it matter for a 7/8 seater
7. Budget around 15L.

Started ironing out my options by talking to friends and reading reviews on T-BHP. It took me a while to make up my mind to move to a big car. Whoever I spoke to gave me only two options the first being Maruti Ertiga and the Second is XUV 500. But I wanted to really take a call based on the facts and test drives.

Initially started with the Mahindra stable. Drove Scorpio, XUV 500 and Quanto. Liked the visibility and the commanding driving position of Scorpio and Quanto. Both the cars were very powerful. Did not like Quanto as the last row of seats were very tight for adults and same is the case of scorpio if I opt for seven seats. Also in the 8 seats version of scorpio there was hardly any luggage space and upright seating position and height was not at all suitable for my parents so ruled out scorpio and quanto.

XUV 500 looks was unbeatable and my father and my wife really liked the car. But again the third row is the problem, no real comfort. There was another issue I saw in XUV 500 may be very specific to me the road view was not as good as scorpio or quanto and the combination of black and beige interior makes it even worse. I was not feeling very confident even though it was not as rough as the other two for the ride. To add to the problem there was the thick pillars to block my view. So had to drop this car as I did not feel safe.

Then the turn was to see mobilio. Thanks to Honda for treating me very well. One of the best sales person I saw who was very knowledgeable about the vehicles in offer. The car is very good and spacious. Interiors were a major put off and the design I personally did not like it. I liked the ride but felt it was little noisy ( diesel variant ) in the inside. Very car like to drive and rev happy. Overall a very good car but feels cheap and expensive for what they offer.

Went on to visit my friends place to see the ertiga as he owns one and after talking to him I felt a very good car with an under powered engine. He was complaining about the issues while he was having 7 people in the car. The first one was pick up and the last row it is impossible to sit two adults comfortably. So had to drop the car from the list.

Then came my turn to visit the Renault showroom. Even before visiting I had seen lot of reviews on youtube and T-BHP's official review. I was greeted by the showroom folks very well and test drive car was available. I went for a drive ( 110 PS version ) and I was taken aback by power delivery this car had. It was already at 70KMPH mark within few seconds. Including me we were five in the car. On the mysore road highway I ended being caught for over speeding this test drive vehicle by the patrol and ended up paying Rs 300 as fine . The sales person Ashwin was very nice and he showed the car and features explained the current offers that was going on. Felt overall very good and told the sales person that we are yet to decide.

Buying Experience:
=============
Sat with my wife and started to evaluate the pros and cons of each vehicle and by the way Innova as we did not like the car during our trips in a taxi especially the 7 seater one and it is expensive for what they are offering. We decided to go for the lodgy more or less.

Went next day to the showroom and asked about the offers as I wanted to make the final decision based on this as we did like the mobilio as well. The sales person wrote on the paper and offer was so irresistible that we asked him when can we do the other formalities.

This month we are getting a special price for 110PS RxL version which is 60K less than the regular price , insurance is free for the first year, 25K cash discount and 6K corporate discount. To add to this the Manager gave more discounts if we take the spares from them.
Immediately booked the car by giving 50K down payment and asked him that is it possible to get the car by this Monday before ganesh chaturthi festival. We gave the check on wednesday the previous week. I had to get my car loan done and they have to check for the lot etc.
The showroom folks were so good that they put in lots of efforts and helped me finish all the formalities the next day i,e Thursday. I had to make the down payment and gave them the check on Friday morning. Unfortunately Saturday was holiday for banks and my checks were not cleared for them to send the car for registration. Monday morning they worked with the bank officials and finally were able to send the car for registration.

So finally I got the call from Ashwin that the car would be ready for delivery in the eveing. We needed the car that day as we had plans to travel right away to my home town Channarayapatna for the function which was arranged next day.
We took the delivery and we were seen off by the showroom with box of chocolates and a flower bouquet. Ashwin explained most of the car's features and told me that they have filled in 15L of diesel. Went straight to a temple nearby and got the pooja done . Started driving towards Hasan. Stopped at a nearby pump and filled in 25L of diesel to the lodgy.
Showroom : Renault Mysore Road
Sales Rep : Ashwin Kumar

Driving Experience:
================
Initially I was little careful as I was moving from a hatchback to a bigger car. The car has a heavy clutch compared to Swift. Once I was on the highway driving at 110KMPH is so easy and I did not cross 120 mark as suggested by Renault guys for the first 1k. The gear ratios are tuned for highway driving as in the city it feels little sluggish below 2K RPM mark. You have to work the gears to move in stop and go traffic. But once you are in 5th gear this is the car you want to be in. Very comfortable take over maneuvers and sixth gear comes as an added advantage. The gear shifting is very smooth and I guess it will be better over a period of time.

Driving seat is very comfortable never felt the strain as I drove for about 150 KMs at one stretch. Yet to test the A/C in the middle and third rows. But with my parents and my brothers family together we were 9 people with 3 kids we were comfortable with A/C on for a stretch of 50+ kms in the afternoon. So no complaints as such.
The best part felt was the power steering and the grip the steering offers. It gives the drivers the much needed confidence while driving at high speeds.

Overall view for the driver is very good and my model doesn't have electrically operated ORVMs so it feels little outdated for a car of this size. Also there is no one push button for the windows especially on the driver side which could have been a good feature to have.

Totally in 4days I have finished close to 500KMs in the ODO and I am extremely happy with the car. Will post my experiences as I drive more. Yet to fit in some accessories and get my license plate from the dealer.

Few point wise experiences:

- Delivery experience with the dealership
Renault Mysore Road is where the car is bought. Did not have a good experience with the J P Nagar dealership. The lack of experience in the sales team was clearly showing. They were also not very persistent. On the contrary, Mysore Road has a very knowledgeable and pleasing staff. To name a few Ashwin kumar from the sales, Shashi from the finance and Kiran from the spares and the leader of them of all Prathap the of head sales. I have been to showroom few times after the sales is over still I receive the reception I got when I entered the showroom in the first. So a very good experience. All these a very willing to explain in detail the concerns the customer has.

- On-road price & discounts
Here is the break up.

Lodgy RxL - 9,99,000/- ex showroom Bangalore
Insurance - 37512 ( Discounted )
Add On Insurance - 4328/-
Road Tax - 155245/-
Delivery Charges - 7000/-
Standard Accessories - 3836/-
Extend Waranty 4 yrs / 80K Kms - 10050/- ( Discounted )
Cash discount - 25000/-
Corporate Discount - 6000/-

Accessories :
Bull Guard, Revers Parking Sensor and Door Entry Sill Plates ( Illuminated ) - Total 13500/- discounted to 12500/- . I am yet to fit these in my car.

- engine type & variant

Renault Lodgy RxL ( 110 PS - K9K Engine ) - Pearl White Color

- My Usage pattern (e.g. 20 kms daily in dense traffic, highway on weekends)
Daily commute of 30 Kms bothways and Weekends for about 300 Kms twice a month.

- Overall build quality, fit & finish, paint quality and panel gaps
The Car is very consistent in terms of fit and finish. The Panel Gaps are uniform. Overall build quality is very good.

- Wheels & tyres
The variant I have bought the RxL comes with steel wheels and caps. It comes with Apollo tyres - 185/65 R15. I never felt any road noise inside the car and also the grip was good during my rides when it was raining. I had a chance to experience it for about 30 mins of decent rain during my driving to Hasan.

- Interior design & quality (plastics, upholstery, fit & finish etc.)
I did like the interior design. Its very practical. All the buttons are in very accessible place and did not face any difficulty in getting used to. Front side glove box on the passenger side is little difficult to access for the person who is little big as we have bend quite a bit to reach. I did like the open storage area above the golve box which is very useful to keep small things. There is also an upper storage box with lid on top of the dashboard good enough to keep some papers or small diaries. Cup holders are nice and it is available to the third row passengers as well.
Upholstery is a combination of fabric and art leather which I felt had good under thigh support and back support for the driver. And again my family did not complain much about the seats ( may be new car feel ).

- Interior space & comfort...front & back (seat support, legroom, headroom & width)
As I had mentioned in earlier paragraphs over space is adequate and very comfortable. The driver seat has good support for the back and feels comfy too. The seat upholstery is fabric and the back is done with art leather. In the middle the leg room is adequate and none of the family members complain anything that i needed to take care of. Overall cabin inside feels airy and fresh every time we have entered the car.
Third row seats is good for two adults and a kid for shorter rides and for long rides I would say its suited more for two people. Kids really enjoy the third row. Even the third row has the A/C vents and mobile charging point kids were able to charge their Tabs and play almost forever.

- Driving position, ergonomics, controls & MID
It has a very car like driving position. The design does not make you feel that you riding a big vehicle. Need to get used to the buttons, steering controls etc. But I did not face much problems getting started. Major put off was the indicator lever and viper lever which is in opposite side.
Display in this particular model is very simple and readable. All the three dials are very visible and I liked the colour combination of the dials. It has trip meter, Time and Odometer reading switch on the viper lever which was difficult to figure initially.
A/C knobs are of decent quality but I feel Renault should have given a switch to control the vent which allows circulation or outside air into the cabin.
Overall dashboard has nice fit and finish and color combination feels nice as well.

- Visibility & size of mirrors
The car has excellent road visibility from the driver position. Since the middle row seating is at a higher position than that of the front row even the mid row passenger feel good about the visibility from inside. ORVM's have adequate size and for a vehicle of this size I did not feel that I need to really look around and never felt uncomfortable or un safe while parking this car. To add to the safety I am adding Parking sensors to this car as an accessory.

- Air conditioner cooling & effectiveness
It is very good and overall its effective but I still need to experience its effectiveness when we drive more on highways. Will share more on this after I do my next trip to Jog falls from Bangalore during the long holiday.

- Audio system & sound quality
The car comes with Integrated audio system and also it has options like USB, Aux and also it come CD player as well. Sound output is good and I felt the automatic tuner does not catch frequencies that are not strong enough. Overall its decent and I am planning to upgrade my speakers to better ones in some time.

- Interior storage, practicality & boot space
The car has a very practical cubby holes in all three rows which can be used to keep things that are needed around. One of the seat in the second row has a pouch to keep news papers, manuals, magazines etc is very handy. Would have loved in both the seats. Not planning to put seat covers as these small pouches in the third row where in we have a rope provided to secure the cars seats when folded is there. The access to holes from the driver seat is very easy and friendly. Did not find any issues here.
Boot space as mentioned in the official review is good enough to put in smaller bags. It is a good idea to have duffel bags for the clothes and if you have suitcases and 8 people the boot is small so we must need a carrier. Multiple combinations of seats can be used to accommodate a lot of lugguge though.

- Any other unique or noteworthy points about the interiors
I really liked the thoughtfulness of the interiors. It is very practical.

- Engine performance & driveability in the city
Engine as I mentioned has 110 PS power and has good torque. So it is very peppy to drive. I did feel we need to work the gears a bit in the city as there is a little turbo lag. I did not feel any bulk thanks to its car like driving dynamics. Have taken in very small and crowded streets in Hanumanth nagar Bangalore.

- Engine performance & driveability on the highway
Recently had a long trip from Bangalore to Shimoga and around. Total drive was about 900kms. Driving this car in highway is breeze. Especially the car performance superb in overtaking speeds. Once you downshift to 4 or 3 the car feels so well that the confidence of the drivers boots to a all new level. Did not drive more than 110kmph speed for the max and on an average was driving in the speeds of 80 to 90kmph range as the car is new.

- Additional comments on the engine (outright power, refinement, revv-happiness, turbo-lag etc.)
We can feel the turbo lag when we are moving up the gears very fast as in petrol engines. But once you figure a way to drive as the engine feels very rev happy. Engine noise never comes inside. Felt like a petrol engine, it feels very smooth and practically very comfortable for long rides. I did not feel any fatigue due to harshness of engine or the driving for long rides. Rode this car continuously one stretch for about 200kms without a break.

- Overall opinion on the engine and Overall NVH levels (including engine, wind & road noise)

Overall i feel the engine is really good especially on the highways. It is butter smooth and since NVH levels of this car is too good. I did not feel the noise and the vibrations are not felt on the steering wheel as well. Road noise is not much heard and the passengers also did not complain.

- Gearshift & clutch (smoothness, effort required, short or long throw etc.)
Overall gear shifting is pretty good in the car. Working the gears in the city is not much of a hassle. Having said that the gear throws are very good for 3rd and 4th gear. Moving to 6th gear has only happened in the Bangalore - hassan highway. Moving from 6th to 4th or 3rd for overtaking is needed in the highways to get the rev required. This car has a heavy clutch compared to Swift (VXI) my earlier car. I had tough time getting used to it. Once I even visited service center to check on the same. The adviser did some adjustment and after the change the heaviness has come down drastically or may be i have got used to it .

- Fuel efficiency: City and Highway
By far I am getting an average of 14.5 KMPL of diesel ( Approx ) have filled the tank ( 38 L ) first time with mostly city driving.
According to my rough calculation I am getting around 15 to 16kmpl in highway so far for about 900kms range.

- Suspension & ride quality (at low as well as high speeds)
Suspension is tuned very well for ride and overall it was a pretty smooth ride on the highways. In the city when I was Driving alone I ended up feeling the road humps especially when the rear side of the car has a jumping effect. When It was fully loaded we never felt this. The car has good suspension as it swallows most of the potholes in Bangalore. Looks like the G C is adequate in this car as so far I have not felt my car scrapping its bottom in any of the road humps i have taken so far.

- Steering (size, feedback, weight, EPS / Hydraulic etc.)
The steering size is good and it has a good grip as well. Did not feel the need for a leather wrap for the same. Also the road manners of this car is very good especially when taking corners at a good speed. The steering is very accurate and bit sharp as well. The steering feels light and I felt because of its turning radius I had trouble in getting used to the dimensions especially when you make a U turn. Always ended up in making a 3 point turn.

- Handling, on-road behaviour, grip levels, stability, body roll & turning radius
The car has very good straight line driving manners. Very confidence inspiring. The car has good grip thanks to its good wheel base. I did feel little body roll during high speed turns on highways otherwise the car felt pretty stable. Thinking of new set of tyres to change from the stock apollo accelere tyres. Need suggestions from BHP'ians on the same.

- Braking (effectiveness, pedal feel...)
Moving from a small car I did feel the braking distance is bit more. Having said that after many kms now I feel it is pretty good. Pedal is more on the softer side. Only once I did experience hard braking as a cat came in front of the car ( 30kmph sped) and the car stopped immediately. This made me feel very good.
- Ground clearance
The Car has adequate ground clearance.The long base of the car might create some unwanted under chasis scratching but so far with my limited usage in the city have not come across the same.

- Any niggles, problems or part replacements
Not so far.

- Quality of after-sales service
Has visited only once during the first week for the clutch check. It was done in half an hour without much of a hassle. So far good experience will update once I get my car serviced for the 1st service.
- Cost of upkeep & maintenance

What I liked in the car:
================
1. Awesome power delivery from the K9K engine ( 110 PS ). I was able to see the surge even when the car was fully loaded with 9 people
2. Space to accommodate 9 people from my family ( 6 adults and 3 kids ).
3. Driving position of the car.
4. Car like driving dynamics.
5. Ingress and Egress for my parents in the 70's.
6. Awesome comfort levels as told by the family members.
7. Seats in the front row has really good support. Bench is also very good in the middle row.
8. Range of colors are too good. And the quality is also very nice.
9. Very practical dashboard and well thought of spaces to utilize for long trip needs.
10. Mobile charging point on all three rows.
11. Weight of the steering and the grip is too good.
12. Flexible combination of the seats. I bet you that is an awesome feature as it helps in moving bigger things from one place to another without much hassles.

What could have been better:
======================
1. Passenger side airbags missing in the RxL variant ( Somehow missed it before deciding
2. Fog lamps and rear viper / defogger missing in RxL variant.
3. One push window open feature is missing. Swift had it 8 years back in the mid variant.
4. Option to add seat covers is not there. If we do it we might not be able move the seats to accommodate luggage.
5. Viper and indicator switch on the opposite side compared to other car. Which is little tricky until you get used to it.
6. Missing trunk opening lever from inside.
7. Renault accessories are on the expensive side.

Renault have really nailed it for Indian Consumers with bigger families. For new buyers I strongly recommend to buy this superb and very practical vehicle. This car comes with a very good proven engine (Has more power than Innova (110 PS) ) and excellent fuel efficiency for vehicle of this big size. Very good driving dynamics and confidence inspiring. Yearly once maintenance or 10000KMs service schedule. A very practical dashboard with nice view of the Odometer. Very easy to reach switches. Second and Third row space is adequate and no one in the family complained about it. Second row pic is here and you can see the charging point which came in handy for my son to charge is Tab during the trip. Very useful thing during long trips..
Check out some of the pictures I have taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review-wp_20150914_0031.jpg  

Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review-wp_20150920_0011.jpg  

Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review-wp_20150920_0021.jpg  

Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review-wp_20150920_0041.jpg  

Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review-wp_20150920_0061.jpg  

Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review-wp_20150920_0071.jpg  

Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review-wp_20150930_0021.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 7th October 2015 at 18:16. Reason: formatting
raghutk is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 18:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 19:59   #3
BHPian

Congrats and thanks for the detailed review. The car seems to fit any large family requirement and you and your family seem to be enjoying it.

I do think you made the right choice vs. the Innova. Regardless of Toyota's bullet-proof reliability, Renault is no less a reliable manufacturer.

Good luck and do keep us updated. Happy motoring and here's to many safe miles of driving the car.
Old 7th October 2015, 20:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghutk View Post
Check out some of the pictures I have taken.
Congratulations on your new purchase and wishing you many safer miles.!
Lodgy is the perfect and sensible choice in this segment. I believe renault didn't advertise it properly, else it would have fetched some decent numbers.
Any reason you didn't considered Xylo ?
Old 7th October 2015, 20:22   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase and wish you many many happy miles on the Lodgy!.

I notice that your car has some body graphics - was it part of the standard setup or did you do it as an aftermarket? IMO, the clean white looked better....
Old 7th October 2015, 22:16   #6
BHPian

@siddharth Thanks. Yes I too like the clean look but in my area there are two cars which are pearl white in yellow board. We were in Renault showroom to fit in some accessories and I happened to see this body graphics box displayed. I went for it for the exclusivity and it cost me Rs 2900/- including installation.It took a while from them as they have to call a expert to do the pasting.

@RJ411 Thank you for the comments. I did not consider the Xylo as somehow after reading the reviews I made up my mind to not spend time TD'ing the car and also got the opinion from my cousin who owns a Xylo from 4 years.

@Mad Max Many Thanks. So far I have had two highway trips with 8 people which includes 2kids. The car ticks my requirement very well and comfortable as well.
Old 7th October 2015, 22:25   #7
BHPian

@raghutk - I think this is the first ownership review of Lodgy in Team BHP.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Driving a big car like Lodgy is definitely an experience, especially if you are coming from a hatch. My experience with Honda Mobilio during a test-drive was of the same sort, could'nt believe that it is so easy to drive a MUV.
Old 7th October 2015, 22:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for your review.
I did not understand why can't you fit seat covers? I think it is not possible only of you have side air bags. Not that I am a fan of seat covers, I do not have then on my car.
Old 7th October 2015, 23:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review and congratulations!

Your comments on the K9K 110PS engine are spot on and this was one big reason that tilted me in favour of the Lodgy and the other is the awesome looking rear 3/4! I'm at 11000 kms now and I can say that this engine is opening up really well and sometimes I drive with the windows down to hear the K9K roar, it's so addictive.

Have already got 2 bumps on my car, ironically both of them while being stationery, while the car was parked by the curb! One was a rear ending by a moron on a bike and absolutely nothing has happened except a few scratches! The other was another moron on a bike and he grazed my right side rear door with a scratch + dent. Overall, happy with the build quality of the car.

The AC is a chiller, I can tell you that as I driven mine in temperatures of 42 degrees outside. The one-touch window up/down feature is there on the RxZ but surprised why it's missing in the RxL.

The engine comes into its own on the highway and truly it outclasses every other car out there on the open road - that much I can tell you without revealing any figures! This engine is indeed a revelation albeit having a tad bit of turbo lag at city speeds. Having been used to the powerless 1.3 MJD on the Ertiga, I'm able to easily work around this one. As mentioned in the manual, the full performance of the engine can only be felt after 6000 kms but in the real world I can still feel the engine opening up at 11000! Also, at part throttle speeds the engine feels very tight (in a good way!) and torquey to put that power on the road.

Enjoy your Lodgy and here's wishing you many more miles!
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 05:52   #10
BHPian

Congrats man, the Lodgy is the best looking MPV in the Indian market. I haven't driven one or examined one up close but from the look of it does come across as well put together, good quality vehicle. This is one vehicle that deserves to sell more.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:27   #11
BHPian

Re: Renault Lodgy 110 PS RxL - Initial Ownership Review

Nice review and details. Thanks for sharing. I personally like the rear profile on Lodgy which although boxy has the required amount of design elements which easily stands out, specially the rear light cluster.
Lodgy is one spacious MPV and looking at the Renault approach with recent launches, it seems that after sales service is only going to improve in coming days which is a positive sign for current Renault customers as well.
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 15:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Thank you for your review.
I did not understand why can't you fit seat covers? I think it is not possible only of you have side air bags. Not that I am a fan of seat covers, I do not have then on my car.
Yes we can fit the seat covers but only when we remove the current stitched one and re-stitch with leather or fabric as told by dealer. He says if put the regular ones the folding of the seats might be an issue mainly in the third row.
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:47   #13
BHPian

Great review indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Your comments on the K9K 110PS engine are spot on and this was one big reason that tilted me in favour of the Lodgy.
Did either of you happen to also drive the 85PS model and compare, as to how big the difference was ?

Quote:
he AC is a chiller, I can tell you that as I driven mine in temperatures of 42 degrees outside.
This is with the front and mid-row ACs running, or just the front one ?

Quote:
This engine is indeed a revelation albeit having a tad bit of turbo lag at city speeds. Having been used to the powerless 1.3 MJD on the Ertiga, I'm able to easily work around this one.
Like many other prospective MUV buyers, Ertiga is also on my radar (it fits the bill almost completely, but falls short on being a reasonably comfortable ride for family of 4 adults + 2 kids, with little more than negligible luggage -- which IMV is the real reason one might buy a 7-seater MUV). In terms of fully-loaded performance, how bad and how severe was the "powerless" feeling on 1.3MJD. Surprisingly, I've got rather contradictory feedback on 1.3MJD (as I was initially considering Petrol), which was projected as being fairly powerful and peppy (perhaps only compared to the Petrol variant).
Old 3rd December 2015, 00:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Did either of you happen to also drive the 85PS model and compare, as to how big the difference was ?
No, I haven't driven the 85PS model.

Quote:
This is with the front and mid-row ACs running, or just the front one ?
This is with both front and mid-row AC running.

Quote:
Like many other prospective MUV buyers, Ertiga is also on my radar (it fits the bill almost completely, but falls short on being a reasonably comfortable ride for family of 4 adults + 2 kids, with little more than negligible luggage -- which IMV is the real reason one might buy a 7-seater MUV). In terms of fully-loaded performance, how bad and how severe was the "powerless" feeling on 1.3MJD. Surprisingly, I've got rather contradictory feedback on 1.3MJD (as I was initially considering Petrol), which was projected as being fairly powerful and peppy (perhaps only compared to the Petrol variant).
The mid range and top end are good on the 1.3 MJD Ertiga but not great because at triple digit speeds the lack of a 6th gear is felt and I personally like my engine to rev lower at higher speeds. In the city, the Ertiga has turbo lag but after awhile you get to work around it and not get caught out in the lag zone.

Coming to the Lodgy 110PS, it has turbo lag too at city speeds but quite negligible. Perhaps my days with the Ertiga has honed my skills, I don't know! I can use the 3 rd gear from as low as 20 kmph although from that speed the turbo takes a while to spool up.

The real prowess of the K9K diesel is seen from the mid range. The mid range is excellent and thanks to the 6th gear, top end is awesome. This one is a highway star. In 6th gear, the 100 kmph mark is seen at a low 1950 RPM and when there's a need to overtake all I need is a dab on the accelerator and the vehicle shoots up, still in 6th! If I drop down to speeds of 90 or lower, then a downshift is needed. Cruise control is the icing on the biscuit and enables stress free driving.

Though I haven't driven the 85PS, suffice to say that it should be better for city driving and the 110PS for the highway. My priority was highway performance although I predominantly drive in the city and thus went for the 110PS. Hope this helps.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 19:37   #15
BHPian

I am also in market for MUV. Options considered are Lodgy,Xylo,Ertiga & Enjoy.
Yesterday I drove 85PS RXZ. We were 5 People on board. As per review of this 85PS k9K engine, turbo lag is minimum. With 5 people & AC at speed 2/3 i was able to drive in Bumper 2 Bumper traffic in 2nd gear, without any powerloss. Even on open stretch, car pulled cleanly 0-80. I was bowled over by this car. Though only point obstructing is 3rd row sitting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks