Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2016, 10:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
It should be within 1500/- I had bought one for my car which I ended up using only for a month as I later added rear speakers and needed a different shelf
That's a good point. I should first figure out the speaker setup. I can go for a rear parcel shelf only if I am happy with speakers in the rear door.
Old 17th April 2016, 19:12   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
I plan to install a set of speakers here. Any particular reason why you chose the parcel tray instead of rear door speakers?
It works out to be cheaper this way to upgrade. These parcel tray mounted speakers are called co-axial speakers I think, and they sell in high numbers. Note that tweeters are mounted on the speaker itself. Another advantage of these speakers is that sound still comes from the stock speakers (but is mostly drowned out by JBL speakers )

I'm pretty sure it will be somewhat expensive (because of lower sales) to find a replacement door mounted speakers of higher quality than OEM.

Meanwhile, I thought I would find the parcel tray useful, but now find it a irritant. I have to lift up the parcel tray to deposit even grocery/shopping bags now!
Old 18th April 2016, 23:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
It works out to be cheaper this way to upgrade. These parcel tray mounted speakers are called co-axial speakers I think, and they sell in high numbers. Note that tweeters are mounted on the speaker itself. Another advantage of these speakers is that sound still comes from the stock speakers (but is mostly drowned out by JBL speakers )

I'm pretty sure it will be somewhat expensive (because of lower sales) to find a replacement door mounted speakers of higher quality than OEM.

Meanwhile, I thought I would find the parcel tray useful, but now find it a irritant. I have to lift up the parcel tray to deposit even grocery/shopping bags now!
I have found a pair of JBL's (CX 26SI) which should fit into the rear doors and it has good reviews as well. I too don't want to reduce the space further in the boot. Also the heavy wooden tray with speakers mounted on it would be an irritant. So I'll most likely just stick to putting the speakers in the stock location.
Old 19th April 2016, 08:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
1) I think the car has rear speakers. The audio out sounds decent, and I am continuing with the stock speakers.

Only the Zxi model had rear speakers. It is very easy to fit the rear speakers on the AT, the wiring already exist all the way till the rear door & a 30 minutes job at the accessories shop. I brought a set of speakers (sony) for 900/- INR after heavy discounts, the setup is quite loud now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
  1. It appears like the car does not have rear door speakers installed by default? One of these days I will pop open the rear door and check. I plan to install a set of speakers here. Any particular reason why you chose the parcel tray instead of rear door speakers?
  2. The installed music player has a USB input as well so I may leave it as-is. But in case I want to change it I'd need a face plate kit. Not sure where to source this from.
  3. Is it possible to buy a rear parcel shelf? The car is missing one and the previous owner had no inkling about it.
Check with M.A.S.S, they should have the parcel tray in stock, cost around 850/- INR, tax included. I brought one during my new car purchase in 2013 from Pratham Motors. Mine came with beige interiors.
Mr_Bean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 09:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Only the Zxi model had rear speakers. It is very easy to fit the rear speakers on the AT, the wiring already exist all the way till the rear door & a 30 minutes job at the accessories shop. I brought a set of speakers (sony) for 900/- INR after heavy discounts, the setup is quite loud now.
I plan to DIY this. Can you share details of the Sony speaker model you used in your Astar? INR 900 is a great deal!
Old 28th April 2016, 07:45   #36
BHPian

Congratulations on your A-Star AT. I have one in the same colour for the past 4 years, and my left foot thanks me for it everyday.

Just one question, do you notice that the car slopes a bit downwards to the right even when not loaded. I initially thought it was a tyre pressure issue but I have refilled them with nitrogen and it persists. I have only covered 6,500km. Or do all cars do that. I checked out the cars in the neighborhood and half of them seem to tilt towards the drivers side, especially viewed head on.WOuld rotating the tyres help in this case?

Edit: Case in point, even the launch car shows the same issue, to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-635030099954971472_4.jpg  

Last edited by avi550m : 28th April 2016 at 07:50. Reason: Adding picture
Old 28th April 2016, 10:19   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post

Just one question, do you notice that the car slopes a bit downwards to the right even when not loaded.

Edit: Case in point, even the launch car shows the same issue, to give you an idea.
I guess I'm not such a stickler for details because I'm unable to see the issue in my car and also the launch car!

Maybe something like that happens if its a single person driving the car all the time (with no passengers), and the extra weight on one side affects the suspension components on the right side front corner! Sorry, can't think of anything more logical than that.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 10:24   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I guess I'm not such a stickler for details because I'm unable to see the issue in my car and also the launch car!

Maybe something like that happens if its a single person driving the car all the time (with no passengers), and the extra weight on one side affects the suspension components on the right side front corner! Sorry, can't think of anything more logical than that.
Guess so. I normally drive the car with no passengers.
Old 28th April 2016, 11:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m
Just one question, do you notice that the car slopes a bit downwards to the right even when not loaded. ... do all cars do that. I checked out the cars in the neighborhood and half of them seem to tilt towards the drivers side, especially viewed head on.
Hmm, never noticed this with our AStar_AT. Will check during the weekend.

Since most cars run major of the time with driver only, that cannot be a reason - because then you need to see this on other cars too.
Old 28th April 2016, 12:01   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
This one is an optical illusion. The pic was taken off-centre, and hence appears so. I dont see our A-Star leaning that way.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 23:31   #41
Team-BHP Support

I'm making a log of true total ownership cost of my pre-owned A-star.

Shockingly, the little critter has cost me Rs. 77,000 in 7 months. Here is the breakup -

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-astar_ownership.jpg

1) 25K is actually the depreciation cost. I'm assuming the Income Tax Department's standard 15% depreciation per annum to keep things simple.
2) I'm considering accessories as "cost", since it is unlikely to add anything to resale value. So the 13k spent on accessories is my own doing.
3) 9k spent on insurance is an unavoidable expense.
4) 12K spent on maintenance -> this includes 35,000 km service, some 3M treatment and consumables like tyres (replaced front tyres).
5) 18k spent on petrol.

Some of the expenses are because of the inherent disadvantage of owning a pre-owned car. You need to spend some money to bring it to your level of satisfaction.

However, in the next few months, other than fuel and depreciation, I don't expect any other expenses

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th May 2016 at 23:33.
Old 8th August 2016, 19:33   #42
Team-BHP Support

Decided to change the old JK tyres - those were 5 years old. For the first time, I've experimented with desi Ceat branded tyres. Picked up something called CEAT MILAZE at Rs. 2600 per tyre.

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-p_20160805_172244_1_p.jpg

The ride quality has improved drastically thanks to the new tyres - probably has nothing much to do with this particular brand of tyre though. Any new tyre would give better ride than 5 year old JKs whose sidewalls probably had hardened a lot.

Keeping my hopes high and expecting good "milaze" thanks to the new tyres.

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th August 2016 at 19:36.
Old 24th August 2016, 20:15   #43
BHPian

The JK Vectra the the A-Star comes with are the worst of the lot so any tyre would feel better.

My car runs on Apollo Accelere for the last 19K Km and I am satisfied with it. Not a punchure yet and highway drive is not noisy at sensible speeds.

The car has a lot of flaws but for my usage it works like a charm and brings a smile to my face to rev the engine and watch it surge ahead when the needle swings by 2K rpm.

When I bought it two years back I figured I would upgrade to the Swift Zxi by now but I don't see me doing that anytime soon

Here's a pic from a trip to attend a friends wedding in Coorg:
Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-img_20160501_071422991.jpg

If I may be so bold I would suggest the following at minimum expense:
1. Get a set of silver wheel caps back. The steel wheels look great if they are clean and terrible even with the slightest dirt on them.
2. Get the B pillar blackened with CF wrap
3. Get the lowest part of the rear bumper CF wrapped in the inverted U depression
4. Debadge rear
5. Get the MGA plastic moulded mud guard @ < Rs300. It makes a notable difference on the positive side

Here's a look at de'rear of my car to give you a feel of de-badged rear with MGA moulded mud guard:
Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-img_20160409_174923658.jpg

Here's my Star with clean steel wheels. Very hard to keep em steel wheels clean though :
Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-img_20160409_174913607.jpg

Last edited by rajathv8 : 24th August 2016 at 20:43.
rajathv8 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 21:02   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Picked up something called CEAT MILAZE at Rs. 2600 per tyre.

Keeping my hopes high and expecting good "milaze" thanks to the new tyres.
I think these are going to be hard .. and will get noisy.

But did you upsize ? 175 makes a lot of difference.

Last edited by condor : 24th August 2016 at 21:18.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 22:09   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
The car has a lot of flaws but for my usage it works like a charm and brings a smile to my face to rev the engine and watch it surge ahead when the needle swings by 2K rpm. When I bought it two years back I figured I would upgrade to the Swift Zxi by now but I don't see me doing that anytime soon
No kidding. My brother took my A-Star AT to Goa from Bangalore. Here is his full "whatsapp review" -

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-screenshot_20160824215328.jpg

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-screenshot_20160824215357.jpg

Pictorial review of our pre-owned Maruti A-Star Automatic-screenshot_20160824215442.jpg

If you don't want to go through all that chatter, my brother - who owns a 3rd gen Honda City S MT - thought A-Star has a big car feel and feels stable at 100 to 120 kmph.

Quote:
1. Get a set of silver wheel caps back. The steel wheels look great if they are clean and terrible even with the slightest dirt on them. Here's my Star with clean steel wheels. Very hard to keep em steel wheels clean though :
I'm afraid I'll have to turn your suggestion around. You have to get rid of those cheap plastic wheel caps. Black wheels (clean or dirty) looks fab on your black A-star!

Quote:
4. Debadge rear
5. Get the MGA plastic moulded mud guard @ < Rs300. It makes a notable difference on the positive side Here's a look at de'rear of my car to give you a feel of de-badged rear with MGA moulded mud guard:
Debadged rear looks very neat and curvy. I will get rid of everything except for the Suzuki badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I think these are going to be hard .. and will get noisy. But did you upsize ? 175 makes a lot of difference.
Did not upsize or bother about the brand of tyres. Because the car had never crossed 60 kmph till now. The A-Star AT is primarily used for school pickup/drops and grocery runs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks