Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2016, 15:09   #31
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze Facelift & CVT (2016)

A much needed facelift indeed. I have few observations though to share here.

a. Amaze possibly is the only car, with all four different / non identical AC vents on dash board.
b. Too much of Blue on the console can become straining to eyes especially during long drives at night (of course once the fancy appeal fades out).
c. The AC recirculation lever appears to be sourced from a supplier of the bygone era. Modern cars are expected to come with push button types.
d. Power window switches does not seem to be illuminated.
Come on Honda ……how much does all these cost?

Last edited by King_pin09 : 10th March 2016 at 15:17.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 15:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the concise review... list out the relevant stuff which has been attended by the company. IMO the dash is better than the one on City (of course after one swaps the entertainment system to 7" display system), hard plastics notwithstanding.

Just one query, have they now put a hydro lock, which prevents water from entering the engine, when driven in rains. It was a major problem with the older Amazes, & the dealer would offer the hydro lock as an accessory to prevent water damage to the engine.
Old 10th March 2016, 15:20   #33
BHPian

Lots of mixed opinions as I see.

BTW, they advertised in the papers with something called a "New 3D Speedometer". Any idea what that can be?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze Facelift & CVT (2016)-img20160304wa0006.jpeg  

Old 10th March 2016, 18:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Too much of Blue on the console can become straining to eyes especially during long drives at night (of course once the fancy appeal fades out).
Hello King_pin09. Atleast in the Jazz the intensity of the blue light diminishes noticeably as soon as you switch on the parking lights at night. Hence it does not stress out the eyes that much. I am assuming the same feature might be present in the new Amaze as well, though not 100% sure.
Old 10th March 2016, 18:10   #35
BHPian

Lots of mixed opinions as I see.

BTW, they advertised in the papers with something called a "New 3D Speedometer". Any idea what that can be?
Seems like it means 3 dials! What a marketing gimmick!😂
Zen2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 14:52   #36
BHPian

Another amazing review as always! This facelift should definitely bring in some more buyers to the Amaze just for its new interiors. It looks like its from a segment above in comparison with the competition, especially the Dzire. By the way, do they still have the 140kmph speed cap? because when it was launched, this speed limit did not inspire much confidence even leading to speculation that Honda itself is not confident about having plonked in a 100ps 200Nm engine into it.
Old 11th March 2016, 15:20   #37
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Nice and crisp review.

Is the new Amaze come with boot lid (boot cladding)?
Old 11th March 2016, 15:57   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Nice and crisp review.

Is the new Amaze come with boot lid (boot cladding)?
No, its still missing from the facelifted Amaze.
Old 11th March 2016, 17:14   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
While you may be displeased about CVT's rubber band effect (=no speed gain while the engine RPM rises), I am equally displeased with MT's rubber band effect (no speed gain for ages while driving on 4th gear while I depress the accelerator).

The truth is that only when torque produced by engine exceeds the torque required to maintain the speed will the vehicle speed up. CVT attempts to do this by revving up and dropping the "gears" while MT requires human intervention to shift the gear down (and achieve the same outcome) otherwise it just lugs and lags.

Yes I agree that the transmission whine may irritate, but the whole rubber band effect is perhaps exaggerated. Is there a considerable 0-100 kmph difference in MT and CVT? That will answer whether there is indeed a real rubber band or just a perceived one.

I realize that my post may appear to be not really relevant to the thread, but it is. In all CVT reviews everywhere across the web one reads about the rubber band effect, but no one posts the 0-100 kind of acceleration figures to illustrate the point.
I agree with your argument. The rubber band effect is only intrusive when driven with the throttle pinned to floor. Part throttle inputs constitute 90% of everyday driving and CVTs are seamless and efficient with part throttle inputs.

I disagree that one needs to floor the throttle while attempting an overtake. I never do this, when in right gear your car will fly past even with partial throttle inputs and ones you get used to the CVT it is so easy (assuming the engine has enough grunt).

I prefer a good CVT over a Dual Clutch Gearbox for its seamlessness and cost effectiveness. My friend's Laura L&K was very jerky to drive in traffic (even in D mode) and costed him fifty thousand to change the flywheel and clutch set after every 50000 kms .

I like performance but I love seamless performance. My mechanical empathy makes me dislike rough and sudden drive trains.
Magicallyme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 19:07   #40
BHPian

We should appreciate Honda for finally taking the customers feedback and re doing the whole interiors for Amaze. Considering Amaze brings good volume to Honda, they have taken the step into correct direction.

Although, in order to give a premium feeling, they have gone completely with beige interiors including the door pads. It will be tough time to maintain them especially during our monsoons.

They should have gone for new Touchscreen system with the in-built navigation which they used to highlight as a good feature from their previous models.
Old 12th March 2016, 23:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
So, what's new on the outside?

Panel gaps are still not consistent ! Not cool:

]
Anshuman, excellent post. Your eye for detail is Kaabil-E-Taarif. It is really annoying to note that the panel gaps are not consistent. I have recently purchased Honda Jazz 2016 and the gaps are really an eyesore and at the same time it poses a cleaning challenge. When Honda will rectify the same?
Rating the review a full deserved 5 star. I am thinking of writing to Honda customer care regarding the panel gaps and whether this will pose any operational hindrance in cars operation.
Old 14th March 2016, 18:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You are talking about an entirely different matter.
With the CVT, the engine revvs, but there's no corresponding increase in speed.
The only time you'll witness this rubber-band effect in an MT is when your clutch has worn out.

Your post is about the lack of torque; you need to downshift and bring the engine into its power band.
I know the frustration aspect, but let me examine what is really happening.
Tell me where I am going wrong (ignoring the numbers and the minute technicalities):

1) Say one is moving at constant speed of 80 kmph, 5th gear, 2000 rpm. At this moment the engine is developing enough torque at the wheel (say 50 Nm) to counter the resistance (rolling friction, air drag)

2) I wish to increase the speed to 100 kmph. My wheels require 60 Nm torque to reach this condition. There are two ways on my MT to achieve this:

2.1) either floor the accelerator pedal, charge the engine with more fuel and air and rev up to 2500 rpm, where the torque developed by the engine and transmitted to wheels is 60 Nm. (takes 10 seconds)

2.2) or not floor the pedal, but downshift to 4th. Downshifting a gear immediately increased the torque available at the wheel to say 60 Nm, but one needs to correspondingly raise the rpm to say 3000 rpm to reach 100 kmph at this gear. (takes 5 second)

2.3) or downshift to 3rd. One needs to raise the revs to 4000 rpm to reach 100 kmph. (takes 2 seconds)

Now coming back to the CVT: the engine revs high but there is no increase in speed
What you describe means that the CVT continuously keeps dropping the gear ratios (instead of just dropping 1 gear) and then perhaps lurch forward? Doesn't it move forward ever? Does it really take that long to start moving forward? Perhaps it starts moving forward when the engine is capable of generating the highest torque, and thus assuring quicker acceleration!

From the options available viz.: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, I derive a pattern that dropping the maximum number of gears and revving hard is the best possible philosophy for quicker acceleration, rather than sticking to a gear and revving.

Isn't CVT doing the best possible thing in this case then?

This is the reason why I clearly said rubber band effect has to be proven by significant difference in 0-100 kmph results between CVT and MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicallyme View Post
I disagree that one needs to floor the throttle while attempting an overtake. I never do this, when in right gear your car will fly past even with partial throttle inputs and ones you get used to the CVT it is so easy (assuming the engine has enough grunt).
I hope you undertand what I mean in the verbose "prose" above.

Last edited by alpha1 : 14th March 2016 at 18:28.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 00:03   #43
BHPian

The side profile reminds me of an old ad.
'Gillette presto, satasat'
Remember that?
Old 16th March 2016, 03:16   #44
Team-BHP Support

I wonder if the Brio will get the same gearbox and dash updates. That car badly needs an updated instrument console as well. Existing one looks VERY tacky.
Old 16th March 2016, 10:34   #45

The interiors have improved, atleast design wise if not quality wise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks