Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2016, 16:05   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: With the Mercedes-Maybach S600 on the Autobahn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
This sounds ultra cool. Does the E class sold in India also get this feature? I am just unable to imagine this feature being used on Indian highways.
Maybe I've gone too far with my imagination but that's how it is India right now. Many more years before such features become useful in India. I'm glad that we are actually able to use cruise control now on some highways which I think was not possible a decade back.
Mercedes-Benz cars for India do not get radar currently. Hence it lacks most of the Driver assistance features that the international variants get. Thats the biggest downer since functionally ADAS is a bliss in the international variants. Here, we dont even get emergency braking.

I directly work on one of these functions, and trust me - It will never come to India. We should put a supercomputer in place of the IDC(Intelligent Drive Controller) ECU in order to work properly in our country.
Old 17th June 2016, 22:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Mercedes-Benz cars for India do not get radar currently. Hence it lacks most of the Driver assistance features that the international variants get. Thats the biggest downer since functionally ADAS is a bliss in the international variants. Here, we dont even get emergency braking.

I directly work on one of these functions, and trust me - It will never come to India. We should put a supercomputer in place of the IDC(Intelligent Drive Controller) ECU in order to work properly in our country.
You are right, it need a super computer to read the Indian traffic conditions.

A while back I read, government de-licensed the some low frequency bands for automotive usages. The frequency bands are in the range of 36-38MHz, 433-434.79MHz, 302-351kHz and 76-77GHz. Since then, there is no further update on the same, and I believe none of the OEM's have actually introduced it in India till now. If it's really available for use, I don't know why even the luxury segment players are not bringing them here.
Old 18th June 2016, 06:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
You are right, it need a super computer to read the Indian traffic conditions.

A while back I read, government de-licensed the some low frequency bands for automotive usages. The frequency bands are in the range of 36-38MHz, 433-434.79MHz, 302-351kHz and 76-77GHz. Since then, there is no further update on the same, and I believe none of the OEM's have actually introduced it in India till now. If it's really available for use, I don't know why even the luxury segment players are not bringing them here.
The long range radar of Mercedes-Benz falls in the 76-77GHz range. Though the government might have delicenced it recently, we cant get the international variant and sell it here because since this is an active safety feature, it has to be tested rigorously and might have to be proven to the certifying agency, eg. ARAI. Now for this they should have designed the guidelines and criteria which is not present currently. Hence it will take quite some time. Another issue I see is the pricing. I am not sure how much the cars equipped with ADAS will cost in addition to the non ADAS equipped cars.

Next, even if ADAS is enabled in the market, its actual use case will be limited to maybe collision prevention and adaptive cruise control, with lane assist. The rest of the basket will either have to be disabled or desensitized preferably the former to prevent misbehavior. If at all India can see partially autonomous driving, i think that all be in 2022 for a stable and precise system.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 13:00   #19
BHPian

redbaron91, thanks for the awesome thread!

I'd like to understand one thing.

You have a picture of the car at 85 kmph. The tacho is showing ~ 1100 rpm and "D7", which I presume is the gear.

A later picture shows 255 kmph, tacho at 4750 rpm, and "D5".

If The "D" indicates gear, why is it in 5th gear at such a high speed? I would think that at such a high speed, the transmission would be in D7 to bring down the rpm.

Clarification please?
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 14:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
redbaron91, thanks for the awesome thread!

I'd like to understand one thing.

You have a picture of the car at 85 kmph. The tacho is showing ~ 1100 rpm and "D7", which I presume is the gear.

If The "D" indicates gear, why is it in 5th gear at such a high speed? I would think that at such a high speed, the transmission would be in D7 to bring down the rpm.

Clarification please?
Dear TheTeacher,

I know I am butting in - so sorry! However, I have similar observation in my Honda Jazz V CVT.

So - here goes - my guess - when he was driving at 85 kmph, 1100 rpm he had lifted the foot off the accelerator slightly - in a way - to cruise. So the computer chose D7.
At 255 kmph, 4750 rpm - I think he was keeping the accelerator pressed - maybe - hoping for more speed (!) so the computer chose the D5. I am sure if he had lifted off the foot even slightly, the speed would have remained same but the D5 would have become D6 -> D7 and the rpm would have come down.

I am open to correction! I hope no offense taken by anyone!!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 15:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post

A power vs rpm curve usually peaks quite late in the rev range. If you want maximum power (which you do to get past the aerodynamic drag at high speeds and/or accommodate the driver's acceleration demand), you choose the gear ratio that puts you closest to peak power. In this case, it was probably D5.

Shifting up to D7 would have put the engine to a lower rpm where there isn't enough power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks