Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2017, 17:53   #76
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
On the topic of service, I recently drove an S-Cross 1.6 with Castrol Synthetic Oil. There was a marked difference in the engine clatter on cold start and even during the drive, it was building revvs a bit more effortlessly. I guess you can try it in the next oil change with Castrol or other MGO like Mobil 1 or Shell FS Oil.
Thanks much for the suggestion abhinav. I shall definitely consider it during the 20K service.

If any fellow bhpians who own Scross have tried Castrol or other MGO synthetic oils, please share your feedback.
Old 12th May 2017, 14:30   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
If any fellow bhpians who own Scross have tried Castrol or other MGO synthetic oils, please share your feedback.
I am planning to use Mobil 1 ESP formula 5W30 synthetic oil during next oil change. I know someone who has used the same oil in 1.6 and says that the engine is smoother now .

Also, I know few guys who have used the 5W30 MGDO synthetic oil (meant for 1.3). Maruti dealers did not have 0W30 mineral oil in stock and had used the synthetic oil meant for 1.3.

Also, it's very difficult to source 0W30 synthetic oil which meets the criteria mentioned for S-Cross. I couldn't find it anywhere.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 15:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I am planning to use Mobil 1 ESP formula 5W30 synthetic oil during next oil change. I know someone who has used the same oil in 1.6 and says that the engine is smoother now .
Glad to know that , I shall look forward to more such feedback and try synthetic for tusker at around 18k mark. Crossed 11k mark just last week, so there is sometime before experimenting the oil change.

Quote:
Also, I know few guys who have used the 5W30 MGDO synthetic oil (meant for 1.3). Maruti dealers did not have 0W30 mineral oil in stock and had used the synthetic oil meant for 1.3.
During the 10K service I was offered MGDO synthetic oil made by Castrol costing around Rs.5000/- for 5.25 ltrs which I did NOT opt for. Are you saying this is ONLY meant for 1.3 engine and NOT the 1.6 Why would service center recommend it then..... Won't it affect the engine performance? or they're just happy to make money and fool the customers?

Quote:
Also, it's very difficult to source 0W30 synthetic oil which meets the criteria mentioned for S-Cross. I couldn't find it anywhere.
It would be nice if that someone* who has sourced it, can share the details in official review thread so its useful for the larger community too.
Old 12th May 2017, 15:47   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying this is ONLY meant for 1.3 engine and NOT the 1.6 Why would service center recommend it then..... Won't it affect the engine performance? or they're just happy to make money and fool the customers?
It is clearly mentioned so in the owners manual. 5W30 Castrol MGDO Synthetic oil doesn't meet C2 ACEA criteria. Again ACEA C2 grade oils are mainly for cars with DPF. S-Cross 1.6 sold in India doesn't have DPF. So I don't think there is any harm.

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_20170512_154021.jpg

But it's better to use Mobil 1 ESP formula 5W30 synthetic oil. It would cost around 1K more. You can source it from Amazon India or Sparesncare. This oil meets C2 criteria and more superior than Castrol 5W30.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 15:56   #80
BHPian

Quote:
It is clearly mentioned so in the owners manual. 5W30 Castrol MGDO Synthetic oil doesn't meet C2 ACEA criteria. Again ACEA C2 grade oils are mainly for cars with DPF. S-Cross 1.6 sold in India doesn't have DPF. So I don't think there is any harm.
Anyways, glad I decided to stay with mineral oil during the 10K service and did not prioritize engine sound, clatter / smoothness.

Quote:
But it's better to use Mobil 1 ESP formula 5W30 synthetic oil. It would cost around 1K more. You can source it from Amazon India or Sparesncare. This oil meets C2 criteria and more superior than Castrol 5W30.
Thats cool, if and when the vehicle reaches 18K mark will try these options for Mobil 1 ESP formula 5W30 synthetic oil.Thanks a lot man

Last edited by Keynote : 12th May 2017 at 15:57.
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 11:59   #81
BHPian

Hi Guys
Have been following this thread and the official review and it seems most owners are happy.

I find the S cross 1.6 adequately powered and i find the noise level of this diesel acceptable. Its my first diesel vehicle and this diesel clatter was one of the things i was apprehensive about but a longish test drive settled my doubts. Its truly a great highway cruiser and not so great in mumbai traffic but then nor are any of my other manual transmissions!!!

Why would one want to use the Mobil ESP formula? We know for sure that there is no DPF in the Indian S cross and that the manual is probably just reflecting the oil specifications from the Euro car where DPF is mandatory. In fact why use any low SAPS oil?? SAPS is just added to the oils to decrease wear and improve engine life and make them run cleaner. If there is less SAPS (less than 0.6) then there will surely be other additives that substitute that dont clog a DPF??? Has anyone tried the MObil1 Newer vehicle Formula 5w30 thats actually ILSAC GF5. Its a mild SAPS oil (0.8) and has great feedback at least in the US. Actually its now very confusing when there are so many oil standards. Maruti in mumbai seems to be pushing the MGDO and am sure its an adequate oil.

I swapped my JK tyres to the Primacy 3 ST like most guys and stuck to the stock size. Drives well on the stock rims but i cant help feeling the car will ride better with at least a 7J rim of a decent quality. I read Dr Narens thread about how the cars with Momo Alloys didnt fare as well as the maruti Stock alloys of the S cross or the Brezza and I truly wonder why??? In my civic and accord earlier i was convinced that the car handled better on the Momo (Quantum and Revenge) provided one gets the PCD and offset bang on and definately gets the hub centric rings of the exact size. I feel there is a bulge on the sidewall with the soft michelin on the 6J stock alloy at 33 psi which cant be good for handling. Why did MAruti not give us at least a 6.5J when they could offer it on a Brezza??

Have had the car for about 40 days now and driven about 800 kms and got the first service done which is just basic inspection and a wash. I believe a nexa service center is opening this month in MUmbai which will cater to the S cross and other nexa cars and lessen the load on the maruti service network.

Rgds
dinyaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 19:13   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to use Mobil 1 ESP formula 5W30 synthetic oil during next oil change. I know someone who has used the same oil in 1.6 and says that the engine is smoother now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinyaar View Post
Have been following this thread and the official review and it seems most owners are happy.
Thank you, more reasons for us to ensure meaningful information is shared so that it helps as much as possible.

Quote:
I find the S cross 1.6 adequately powered ... Its my first diesel vehicle ... but a longish test drive settled my doubts. Its truly a great highway cruiser...
Congratulations dinyaar, wish you miles of happiness Hopefully one more ownership report of the 1.6 from your side in sometime if not sooner.

Quote:
Why would one want to use the Mobil ESP formula?. Maruti in mumbai seems to be pushing the MGDO and am sure its an adequate oil.
During the 10K service I was offered 5W30 MGDO Castrol Synthetic Oil by the service advisor. Since I've not come across anyone who has changed to synthetic oil and there were not much feedback/information from fellow bhpians / Scross owners in the official review thread, decided to continue with 0W-30 MGDO Mineral Oil itself and I've no regrets till date. It is only after fellow bhpian and good friend abhinav.s drove a 1.6 with Castrol synthetic oil and gave positive feedback, I thought of bringing this here to gather additional information.

Quote:
I swapped my JK tyres to the Primacy 3 ST like most guys and stuck to the stock size. Drives well on the stock rimsWhy did MAruti not give us at least a 6.5J when they could offer it on a Brezza??
Good choice of tyres, it will certainly enhance the ride quality. I'm on stock alloys and haven't felt the need to upgrade, hence I'll leave that question to experts to give you a sensible answer.

Quote:
Have had the car for about 40 days now and driven about 800 kms Rgds
Don't worry about the less mileage covered until now. Give it sometime and ensure you understand the vehicle better to have unlimited fun and trouble-free ownership.

Last edited by Keynote : 15th May 2017 at 19:21.
Old 15th May 2017, 20:02   #83
BHPian

Quick update from a recent highway day trip :

tusker got tamed ... (inspired by Bahubali 2.0 opening scene)

And to put that in a funny yet serious note, it was just a coincidence that I came across the accidents thread and felt sad especially after reading about the recent Merc AMG crash in Hyderabad.
  • Since tusker was getting a little carried away when on highway trips, wanted to see if he can be tamed and still enjoy the controlled fun while driving through the highways.
  • Drove to Coimbatore last week to visit parents covering almost ~380 KMs one way.
  • Left home from Kasturi Nagar at 7:00 AM with a stop for breakfast at Sree Saravana Bhavan Krishnagiri by 8:50 AM covering 103 KMs which included 20 KMs of city drive.

Speeds maintained 90 to 100 kmph while in the highway
    Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-7.jpg
  • After a 80 minute break, started at 10:00 AM and reached International Airport, Coimbatore by 1:00 PM covering 264 KMs highway drive. This also included occasional quick bursts along with the perfect SUVs and the Gang of D's

Speeds maintained 100 to 120 kmph while in the highway
    Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-7a.jpg
  • Another 10 KMs more and reached home by 1.26 PM after driving through some non-chatotic city traffic.
  • With 2 grown-up adults, a 7 year old child, boot full of luggage and 99% usage of a/c during the drive tusker still gave such impressive mileage figures.
  • 25.6 KMs per litre over a 100 KM distance in a 1.6 L / 320 DDiS torque monster is truly remarkable.
  • ~22 KMs per litre overall mileage on a 380 KMs trip and still have fun with the crossover is something I can't ask for more.
  • At the end of the trip with fuel gauge showing above the halfway mark and the range of 394 KMs still to go, I was just wanting drive my crossover again and again.
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-5a.jpg

Folks, if you've a powerful vehicle at your disposal you still can have some controlled fun rather driving at insane speeds to save an extra hour there by risking lives. Please drive safe.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th May 2017 at 21:41. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Keynote is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 12:24   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update from a recent highway day trip :
[*]Left home from Kasturi Nagar at 7:00 AM with a stop for breakfast at Sree Saravana Bhavan Krishnagiri by 8:50 AM covering 103 KMs which included 20 KMs of city drive.[*]25.6 KMs per litre over a 100 KM distance in a 1.6 L / 320 DDiS torque monster is truly remarkable.
I have S-cross 1.3, started from BTM 2nd Stage at 4AM, set the cruise control to 95KMPH and till Arcot (around 200-220 KM) got a mileage of 25KMPH. Drove through 2-lane SH through (Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Dindivanam) around 80 KMPH and then four lane NH from Dindivanam to Pondy with cruise control set to 95. I got a overall mileage of 24.2 KMPH over 370 KMS.

But even with 1.3 with speed around 95KMPH, RPM @ 2.2K, it felt boring and the vehicle felt stationary at some streches. With 1.6 what was your RPM? 1.8K? Did you feel like sitting idle in your car and wanted to go for a walk?
jaganpec2002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 14:11   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
set the cruise control to 95KMPH and till Arcot (around 200-220 KM) got a mileage of 25KMPH. around 80 KMPH and cruise control set to 95. I got a overall mileage of 24.2 KMPH over 370 KMS.
I always prefer the stick shift, so this was achieved with the mind control and not with cruise control.

Quote:
With 1.6 what was your RPM? 1.8K? Did you feel like sitting idle in your car and wanted to go for a walk?
Honestly i didn't pay attention to RPM mark, will check for the same next time at similar speeds and report back for sure. I don't feel like going for a walk outside at such speeds, guess I've got a different perspective now and enjoy the drive even more.
Old 23rd May 2017, 23:34   #86
BHPian

Quick update on my return journey from Coimbatore to Bangalore yesterday

Last week I had posted details about a recent highway trip to Coimbatore and was really impressed with the mileage figures.Hence was a little curious to see if a similar mileage figures would be achievable on return journey with atleast 50-60% more load this time. (yeah we were carrying too much love from parents and in-laws)

Boot was loaded to the brim (there were two more bags behind the Red color bags that can be seen upfront) and the space between the dashboard and front co-passenger seat was filled with items of atleast 60 kgs of weight. Was mindful about the rear view from IRVM hence ensured luggage hindrance was minimal.

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-11.jpg

Since there were good feedback's about Reliance diesel,tanked up the same near Neelambur-Kaniyur which is on the way. Hence total trip mileage was calculated for 350 kms this time as against 374 kms during onward journey. Also had to adjust the tyre pressure due to the load and hence tyre pressure at front was set to - 36 psi
& rear at - 38 psi.

Tanked up and ready to go at 11:37 AM.
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-1.jpg

Below pictures were taken while we stopped at toll plazas, during a 35 minute break for lunch and upon reaching destination. OT - All pictures were taken and modified on iphone 6s to the best of my capabilities for better viewing and to reduce any glare. Hence the Black & White pics.

Mileage at ~51 KMs
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-2.jpg

Mileage at ~97 KMs - Here we stopped for lunch at Sree Saravana Bhavan, towards Salem.
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-3.jpg

Mileage at ~112 KMs
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-4.jpg

Mileage at ~151 KMs
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-5.jpg

Mileage at ~188 KMs
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-6.jpg

Mileage at ~255 KMs
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-7.jpg

Mileage at ~310 KMs - Hosur Toll
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-8.jpg

Mileage at ~325 KMs - Electronic City elevated road toll
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-9.jpg

Mileage at ~350 KMs - reached home. Took ~1 hour from electronic city elevated toll to Kasturi Nagar.
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-10.jpg

Except for the Hosur toll & Electronic City elevated road toll where we ended up spending 10-15 mins, we were able to get past other tolls in no time

Quote:
With 1.6 what was your RPM? 1.8K?
To be precise, in 6th gear
100 kmph @ 1750 rpm
110 kmph @ 2000 rpm
120 kmph @ 2250 rpm &
130 kmph @ 2500 rpm.

Majority of the journey was driven between 1750 to 2250 rpms with occasional bursts at 2500 rpm.

Our earlier highway trips, especially the one we made from Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore gave us ~16 kmpl. So one can imagine the speeds tusker has enjoyed during that time.

However it was a conscious decision to drive Bangalore-Coimbatore-Bangalore trip at such rpms. In the end we remain thoroughly satisfied with our crossover's abilities which can serve us the way we want it to be while also returning ~21 kmpl fuel economy.

I know some folks may not like me posting mileage figures with this monstrous engine, but feel free to hit me up fellas. Always open to your feedback's and suggestions.

Last edited by Keynote : 23rd May 2017 at 23:42.
Keynote is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 16:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick update on my return journey from Coimbatore to Bangalore yesterday
Now that you successfully checked the mileage on 2 long journeys, and scared the hell out of many 1.6 owners as to why they are not seeing similar numbers & if their car is defective, can we move on to the interesting stuff that you have done to the car during the stay at Coimbatore please..

Just kidding about the mileage part, good updates and am silently following the thread of each update. Keep it going!
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 19:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
scared the hell out of many 1.6 owners as to why they are not seeing similar numbers & if their car is defective
Hahaha, my intention was not to scare anyone! Rather I got scared watching few accidents and wanted to reiterate on the aspects of safe driving while having powerful cars at our disposal. In due course I was really surprised by the fuel economy that was returned by the 1.6 engine.

Quote:
Just kidding about the mileage part, good updates and am silently following the thread of each update. Keep it going!
Thank you! Junior bhpian noticed the speedometer needle during the Kukke Subramanya trip where there was too much fun on the straights. He has been instructed to keep a watch on it going forward while on family trips.

Quote:
can we move on to the interesting stuff that you have done to the car during the stay at Coimbatore please.
Your wish is my command and I shall do it soon, just wrapping up few stuff at work.

Last edited by Keynote : 25th May 2017 at 19:53. Reason: spelling
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 00:01   #89
BHPian

Re: S-Cross 1.6 - Addictiveness Personified

A quick update on some small, yet significant things that were done as tusker was approaching ONE year mark. Just to give a bit of background,quoting my own words from Page 1 (who cares)

Quote:
We decided to buy the vehicle through company lease option and hence just an email confirmation on 25th May 2016 was all that required to do the booking. Informed SA that we would like to take the delivery of the vehicle on 9th June 2016 preferably due to auspicious conventions and the same was obliged without any issues. Undoubtedly those were the LONGEST 15 days of my life (from 25th may to 9th June) till the penultimate day arrived.
Since reaching Bangalore last Monday, a quick check on insurance papers showed vehicle being registered on 27th May'16 and insurance is up for renewal in a couple of days. As the vehicle was purchased through company lease, generally the leasing company would follow-up and send reminder to renew the insurance, but nothing of that sort happened in my case. Reached out to concerned folks in the department while also started looking for quotes outside - courtesy Policy bazaar and Cover Fox. Decided to opt for Kotak Insurance as it had the following - A dip in IDV by 10% compared to last year, zero depreciation, consumables which includes nuts and bolts, 24/7 roadside assistance and cashless claim for peace of mind which costed Rs.31,818/-
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-.jpg

For a more clearer version
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-insurance.jpg

• As the mechanical heath of tusker is always kept in mint condition, was wondering what could be done special to celebrate the ONE year mark. A quick check showed numerous swirl marks and negligible scratches all over the vehicle - courtesy apna building Watchman. Though it didn't bother me much, the keeeda/bug of doing something special was always in mind and hence decided to get the detailing done.
  • While in Coimbatore last week, reached out to fellow bhpians graaja, a4anurag, abhinav.s to get some pointers on different options 3M has prior to taking the plunge.
  • Had a long chat with Mr.Sudan, owner of 3M franchisee and decided to get the Trizact treatment done which is generally recommended only for high-end vehicles due to the stock paint quality. And yeah according to him Scross is an exception.
  • Have always had pleasant experience at 3M R.S Puram, Coimbatore and this time was no different.
  • Did PPF to the boot loading lip area, and on the four sides of foot board running areas.
  • Okay okay, I get it. Enough boring you all now, let the pictures do the talking.

After ~5 hours of quality work, this is how tusker looks
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-g.jpg

From another angle
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-h.jpg

Rear LHS
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4743.jpg

Rear RHS
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4742.jpg

Side profile
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4731.jpg

Reflection on the bonnet
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4751.jpg

Roof Garden may be
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-roof.jpg

Side Profile
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4755.jpg

Junior bhpian sitting in his favorite place, doesn't care if its detailed or not.
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-jbhp.jpg

Pebbles, thanks to the monsoon.
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-p4.jpg

Difference between various 3M treatment including Trizact process explained
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4837.jpg

In short, below are the 5 important steps to get this finish. Standard disclaimer applies and I'm in no way related to 3M or its franchisee.
  • Step 1 : 3M Cleaner clay applied on area affected by oil, grease and pollution's.
  • Step 2 : 3M’s Trizact Sanding Disc is used to refine the surface.
  • Step 3 : Rubbing compound applied on the car body for further refinement.
  • Step 4 : The rotary machine fitted with special 3M pad and swirl mark remover eliminate all swirl marks.
  • Step 5 : 3M Paste wax applied on car surface to give it 'UV Protection' and gloss.

Last but not the least, mindful of the Bangalore rains also got the stock wipers changed 3M frame-less wipers which are relatively new in the market.
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-c.jpg

26-14 is the stock size, however 24-16 of 3M frame-less wipers suits the crossover very well too and was immensely useful during the last couple of days when it rained in Bangalore.
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L - Addictiveness Personified. EDIT: 50,000 km up!-img_4744.jpg

Summary :

2nd year insurance renewal - Rs.31818/-
3M Trizact treatment (less 10%) - Rs. 9400/-
3M PPF as mentioned (less 10%) - Rs. 2250/-
3M frame-less wipers - Rs. 1400/-
Taxes - Rs. 2000/-
Total - Rs.46,868/-

Hope this is of help.

Next update would be on 9th of June, will share the Odometer reading and any other findings as it will mark ONE year of ownership since taking the delivery of the vehicle.
( I swear NOT to update anymore FE details for sure)

In the meantime if there is anything feel free to reach out to me folks

Last edited by Keynote : 26th May 2017 at 00:06.
Keynote is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 20:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Dear Nagaraj
Wonderful review.
Write up has been written with great passion without losing objectivity.

The forms of addictiveness has been beautifully described.
Feelings expressed by you reminds me of my excitement and joy after driving the Getz CRDI 10 years back.

Lovely pics of Tusker

Shall buzz you for nearby drive destinations from Bangalore.
Drive on. Keep torquing.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks