Team-BHP - Video Review: Maserati Ghibli 3.0 V6 Diesel
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Video Review: Maserati Ghibli 3.0 V6 Diesel (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/178206-video-review-maserati-ghibli-3-0-v6-diesel.html)

Likes;

- Looks
- Engine Sound (Best Sounding Diesel yet)
- Handling & Steering (Hydraulic)
- Exclusivity

Dislikes;

- Price
- UConnect Infotainment has a low res & is common to the Dodge & Jeep Models.
- Petrol V6S not offered in India.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b59zpIaBgHg

The video consists of;

A discussion on the engine performance, handling etc;

Video Review: Maserati Ghibli 3.0 V6 Diesel-screen-shot-20160717-9.30.43-pm.png

Some FUN in the hills;

Video Review: Maserati Ghibli 3.0 V6 Diesel-screen-shot-20160717-9.34.42-pm.png

& Some Un-heard Exotic Diesel Sounds;

Video Review: Maserati Ghibli 3.0 V6 Diesel-screen-shot-20160717-9.28.26-pm.png

Some Other Observations;

- Maserati have priced Ghibli at INR 1.15 Cr Ex-Showroom.
- Only 3 dealerships in India (Delhi, Mumbai & Bangalore)
- 3 years & unlimited km warranty.
- The Gear selector can be confusing. Say for instance shifting between D and R it sometimes goes into Park or Neutral, and you find yourself shuffling the lever a few times before getting it right.
- Maserati have recommended to use only Hi-Speed Diesel for the Ghibli.
- The Ghibli is not 'outrightly fast' but 600 NM is a lot & definitely the Ghibli is a great GT Sports Sedan.
- The Ground Clearance can be an issue over some speed breakers, but if you know how to carve your way out it is not an issue.
- The Ghibli gets an Vredestein brand deflated space saver.
- No Sunroof at this price is surprising.
- Maserati should quickly get their Levante SUV into the Indian market to make the brand popular & churn more sales.

Karan, you probably know this - but this is your best review yet! How did you get the wheelspin shot in the beginning? I wonder if there is a "behind-the-scenes" or "the making of Ghibli film" video :D

Meanwhile, I really wonder why Bollywood stars don't buy Maseratis (Ajay Devgan had a Quattroporte many years back, I know.). It is perfect for their number one requirement of standing out from the crowd.

Suggestion: Make it a "proper" review. That is, along with the video, add 10 to 20 pics and extra written content. That way, Ajay Devgan can drool at the photos and read up the review on his iPad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 4017015)
Karan, you probably know this - but this is your best review yet!

Thank You smartcat for your appreciation.

Quote:

How did you get the wheelspin shot in the beginning? I wonder if there is a "behind-the-scenes" or "the making of Ghibli film" video :D
Owning a RWD BMW it isn't difficult getting wheelspin / burnout shots from another RWD car, very easy actually. lol:

Quote:

Meanwhile, I really wonder why Bollywood stars don't buy Maseratis (Ajay Devgan had a Quattroporte many years back, I know.). It is perfect for their number one requirement of standing out from the crowd.
Yes, i do remember seeing Ajay Devgan's Quattroporte pictures (In White)

Quote:

Suggestion: Make it a "proper" review. That is, along with the video, add 10 to 20 pics and extra written content. That way, Ajay Devgan can drool at the photos and read up the review on his iPad.
:thumbs up

Very nice review. I enjoyed watching wheelspin at the start of the video, that was a great shot!

Does the Ghibli makes you feel its 600 NM of torque. Is the acceleration linear or do you get sudden burst after 2k rpms once the torque kicks in?

If I'm not wrong the diesel engine manufacturer powering the ghibli is VM Motori. I do have soft corner for this as the 2L diesel engines which came with cruze when it was first launched in india was by the same manufacturer. Im still a happy customer!

The engine note in cruze is quite sporty, so i can only imagine how ghibli sounds like!

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 4017007)

Woah Karan, you are getting better and better with each video buddy clap:

What's unique about your reviews however, is the fact that even the cars keep getting better with each of your new videos :D

Maserati was always one of those gorgeous designs that not only looked timeless but offered an eye candy stance. Though priced quite steep, I am sure slowly yet surely a stream of customers who prefer exclusivity will line up.

Excellent review again and you seem to be turning out to be a SPOC for Video Reviews on TBHP.

Excellent video and review there, Karan! clap:

Your likes and dislikes can be commonly applied to most Maserati cars. I actually love this car's preposition, it is a Maser, diesel, sounds and drives good and is relatively sensibly priced.

Globally, this car was brought out to drive the sales of Maserati to new heights and I hope wealthy bunch of Indians shower some love for old school Italian flare and contribute to make our roads more beautiful sight by buying this car in decent numbers. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashish22 (Post 4017076)
Very nice review. I enjoyed watching wheelspin at the start of the video, that was a great shot!

Thank You ashish !

Quote:

Does the Ghibli makes you feel its 600 NM of torque. Is the acceleration linear or do you get sudden burst after 2k rpms once the torque kicks in?
As i stated in my opening post, the Ghibli is not that fast when it comes to outright acceleration (Infact 530d is faster) but 600 NM is a lot and while rolling and in gear its tremendously brisk. Acceleration is linear 3rd gear onwards but initally 1st and 2nd it is spiky.

Quote:

If I'm not wrong the diesel engine manufacturer powering the ghibli is VM Motori. I do have soft corner for this as the 2L diesel engines which came with cruze when it was first launched in india was by the same manufacturer. Im still a happy customer!
Thanks for sharing this info as i was unaware about the above, I owned a cruze too, so i can relate to you :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vik0728 (Post 4017173)
Woah Karan, you are getting better and better with each video buddy clap:

What's unique about your reviews however, is the fact that even the cars keep getting better with each of your new videos :D

Maserati was always one of those gorgeous designs that not only looked timeless but offered an eye candy stance. Though priced quite steep, I am sure slowly yet surely a stream of customers who prefer exclusivity will line up.

Excellent review again and you seem to be turning out to be a SPOC for Video Reviews on TBHP.

Thanks Vik once again for your inspiring comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace F355 (Post 4017177)
Excellent video and review there, Karan! clap:

Your likes and dislikes can be commonly applied to most Maserati cars. I actually love this car's preposition, it is a Maser, diesel, sounds and drives good and is relatively sensibly priced.

Thank You Ace :thumbs up

Quote:

Globally, this car was brought out to drive the sales of Maserati to new heights and I hope wealthy bunch of Indians shower some love for old school Italian flare and contribute to make our roads more beautiful sight by buying this car in decent numbers. :D
In 2012 Maserati sold aprox only 7000 units globally.

In 2013 The Ghibli was introduced and also this new Diesel unit (which is also available on the Quattroporte).

In 2014 Maserati sold 36,000 units globally.

So yes it seems with the Ghibli and Diesel (Mainly for EU Market) seems Maserati have done well globally.

But IMO the Indian innings will kick off once the Levante SUV hits our shores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 4017007)
Likes;

- Looks
- Engine Sound (Best Sounding Diesel yet)
- Handling & Steering (Hydraulic)
- Exclusivity

Dislikes;

- Price
- UConnect Infotainment has a low res & is common to the Dodge & Jeep Models.
- Petrol V6S not offered in India.

Wonderful Review. Diesel Engine Exhaust note is something unheard of :D.

Can we expect a Quattroporte GTS Review too. please:

Good car. But at 1.12 cr ex-showroom, it makes no sense whatsoever considering its rivals like 530d and e350 costs just half as much. Yeah you can argue its a CBU,but so what? Thats maserati's fault not the consumer's.
For around the same money you could buy a base M3 or a 530d plus a cla45amg. I know where I would spend my money on.

Excellent review Karan! I would like to make a small correction.The Ghibli comes with a sunroof as it can added as an option by the customer.

Amazing review once again Karan!
Hope you enjoyed putting the Maserati to it's paces(Going by the opening clip) 8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrishnap (Post 4017240)
Wonderful Review. Diesel Engine Exhaust note is something unheard of :D.

Thank You nkrishnap, appreciate your positive comments.

Quote:

Can we expect a Quattroporte GTS Review too. please:
Would love to :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakul0888 (Post 4017300)
Good car. But at 1.12 cr ex-showroom, it makes no sense whatsoever considering its rivals like 530d and e350 costs just half as much. Yeah you can argue its a CBU,but so what? Thats maserati's fault not the consumer's.
For around the same money you could buy a base M3 or a 530d plus a cla45amg. I know where I would spend my money on.

Hey Nakul,

Well for reference, in the US market the 535d is cheaper than the Ghibli diesel by around 10-15%. They have priced the Ghibli somewhere between the 5 series & 6 series Gran Coupe (which is priced around 15-20 % higher than Ghibli in the US market)

Likewise in India the 6 series Gran Coupe being a CBU is INR 1.1x Cr. (Ex-Showroom) i.e. almost same as the Ghibli.

Definitely in India this Ghibli should have been cheaper.

So yes at this price tag they should have offered the the more potent twin turbo petrol V6 S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divyendu Sharma (Post 4017368)
Excellent review Karan! I would like to make a small correction.The Ghibli comes with a sunroof as it can added as an option by the customer.

Thank You Divyendu, i thought so and hence for that reason i did not mention in the video review, but just made a note in the opening post here, but thanks again :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean5545 (Post 4017396)
Amazing review once again Karan!
Hope you enjoyed putting the Maserati to it's paces(Going by the opening clip) 8)

Thank You Denzil, oh yes 600 NM + RWD + Wet Roads was scary fun indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 4017414)
Definitely in India this Ghibli should have been cheaper & be priced say around 80-90L (Ex-Showroom).

So yes at this price tag they should have offered the the more potent twin turbo petrol V6 S.

I think India being so small market for them, they would have come up with this pricing in order to maintain the exotic image here! Maserati is a brand not to be diluted by sharing market space with big three Germans, although the point of launching this car was exactly to be competing with them for sales!

However, though I feel not pricing it lower is lost opportunity for Maserati to make a mark on Indian market, it is still relatively sensibly priced overall! My 2 cents.

Nice one karan, This review was totally unexpected, The scene of the car doing a burnout was sweet! Which road is that between? Lonavala?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace F355 (Post 4017426)
I think India being so small market for them, they would have come up with this pricing in order to maintain the exotic image here! Maserati is a brand not to be diluted by sharing market space with big three Germans, although the point of launching this car was exactly to be competing with them for sales!

However, though I feel not pricing it lower is lost opportunity for Maserati to make a mark on Indian market, it is still relatively sensibly priced overall! My 2 cents.

Fair points you've made agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 (Post 4017665)
Nice one karan, This review was totally unexpected

Thank You Tanveer for your appreciation.

Quote:

The scene of the car doing a burnout was sweet! Which road is that between? Lonavala?
True, that is somewhere around Lonavla, but let the exact location remain anonymous in public :D