Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2016, 12:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!

Excellent thread, rated 5 Stars!

Had just one request -if you can share a couple of direct head-on shots?
Old 27th July 2016, 12:41   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post

Had just one request -if you can share a couple of direct head-on shots?
Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-p_20160723_165435_p.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-p_20160723_165352_p.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-p_20160723_180054_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-p_20160723_180624_1_p.jpg

That dog in the last pic peed on my car!
SmartCat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 12:43   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think we're beyond the point where all Hyundais had horrible handling. All that is history since the last-gen Verna & i20 retired.

The Creta has sorted road manners. From our official review:
I second that. Gone are the days when Hyundai's were compared to boats .

Grand I10, Elite I20, Creta and facelift Verna has neutral dynamics. Yes, they are not the best handlers. But it is definitely way better than old I20 and Verna known for boat like handling + thuds on potholes.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 12:48   #34
BHPian

Awesome shootout!! 5 stars to it!
And great to see more information coming in from later posts too.

When I was following a BR-V, it looked narrow to me, possibly due to the connected tail lamp and a more rounded rear.

In my opinion, these cars cater to different user bases - being a 7 seater is BR-V's USP, while a matured and comfy big car(..as unchi is the new lambi) is what sells Creta in numbers. And it is a looker too!!

Last edited by MSAneesh : 27th July 2016 at 12:51. Reason: text added
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 14:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
I think both the engines are excellent in their own way.
I very well know that Hyundai diesels have the best NVH, only 2015 Fiesta comes close in that respect. But I wanted to know more about the difference in the performance of the two 1.6 engines. On paper the the Creta has more bhp where as the S-Cross has a lot more torque. I have driven the S-Cross 1.6 and was spell bound with the torque surge at 2k RPMs. It has turbo lag, but as I drive a Punto 90 HP I am well experienced in tackling the turbo lag so I felt at place while driving the S-Cross. But yes I haven't driven the Creta.
Old 27th July 2016, 14:55   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
From the latest issue of Autocar India from their BRV Vs Creta Vs Duster Vs S-cross shootout. Check the 0 to 100 acceleration and in-gear acceleration figures -

Duster's 3rd/4th gear acceleration is very impressive!
Renault has given a very good engine map in Duster AWD. It weighs heavier but performance is better than regular 110 PS variant. AWD has very good driveability and phenomenal in gear acceleration.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 15:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Check the 0 to 100 acceleration and in-gear acceleration figures -

Duster's 3rd/4th gear acceleration is very impressive!
Thank you smartcat for sharing that info here and surely this test actually highlights the Duster's practicality to a great extent.

Though the 1.6 CRDI and DDiS 320 are quick on the open roads, they are almost left in dust when it comes to the majority of driving conditions to most of the owners.

Combination of light chassis, arguably couple of best 1.6 Diesel engines and gear boxes really makes Creta & S-Cross very brilliant indeed. But that 1.5 DCI engine from Renault is extremely tractable in day to day conditions and the 110PS iteration also is no slouch.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 15:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice & detailed comparison . Would be very useful for those trying to choose between these two vehicles. From just a lone Duster, we now have a plethora of options to choose from in this segment. And while choice is indeed good, it also makes it more confusing to make a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
Selling close to 8000 units per month, Hyundai Creta has become a blockbuster hit ..... However, it could be up against the biggest rival yet, in the form of the recently launched Honda BR-V that is off to a good start already with more than 3000 units dispatched in the month of June.
From the limited exposure to the BR-V (have only seen a couple on the roads) and from what I gleaned from others who have seen it close or checked it out, I don't think the BR-V would really be a big rival for the Creta.

As a package, the Creta rules for now. And inspite of not liking Hyundai cars, I find myself appreciating it. The BR-V, while mostly similiar in dimensions, just does not appeal in overall looks - exudes a van / Mobilio look, not a mini-SUV look. The 3rd row is indeed an USP, but not sure how far it will go in getting the numbers.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 15:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
chance to compare his brand new Honda BR-V against the Creta
Brilliant comparo! In my opinion, such threads will really help potential buyers in selecting cars along with the fantastically detailed official reviews. Rated a fully deserving 5 stars!

On the 2 cars, MY view has been that the Honda BRV makes sense only for 7 (6???) seats and/or luggage space. Else the Hyundai Creta is the natural choice. Maybe the Honda Vezel (if launched) will have a closer fight. Sales figures seem to be supporting that view till now at least.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 15:59   #40
BHPian

A very much awaited comparison. Congrats to the full team. Only one missing part, the highway performance details between the duo.
Old 27th July 2016, 17:14   #41

I have come across many reviews where Creta is pitted against BRV. Does it really make any sense to compare both the products even if they are coming in same price bracket? Creta hands down BRV in almost all aspects of comparison like exterior design, interior quality, engine refinement, ride quility etc. Someone who don't need a 7-seater, why would he/she will look to BRV? Only because of accurate steering and better corning ability, that too at the cost of overlooking the overhang behind your back? Even if buyer is an ardent Honda follower, how does it make sense to choose BRV over Creta because it has marginally better fun to drive factor? Similarly why someone would opt for Creta when one's primary requirement is a 7-seater? I believe both products cater to different market segments and they would definitely not cannibalize each other's sales.
do-od-do is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 17:27   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
A very much awaited comparison. Congrats to the full team. Only one missing part, the highway performance details between the duo.
BR-V CVT petrol is, to my surprise, an excellent highway performer. However, there is a bit of learning curve with the CVT. You really wouldn't want to step on the accelerator like you would in a manual. Even after 900 kms on the clock, I'm still figuring out new things to extract the maximum out of the gearbox. The most impressive bit of the BRV automatic is the way it picks up speed from 30 to 100 kmph.

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-p_20160627_220440_1_p.jpg

It's one relentless move all the way to 100 kmph. The accelerator needle swings like a manual car's tachometer needle, but in slow motion. There is no 0.5 second gearshift delay, where a manual car stays at 60 kmph or 80 kmph momentarily before picking up speed again. Basically, you can make rapid progress on a 2+2 highway that has moderate to heavy traffic.

On a single lane state highway, if you are stuck behind a truck or a slow moving car, the performance is less than satisfactory. I can move to "S" mode or use paddle shifts, but I don't like the noise it makes. For now, I have devised a method where I plan my overtakes ahead, and give accelerator input 0.5 seconds before I intend to overtake!

CRETA DIESEL ON HIGHWAYS:

All good, but -

1) Noisier than BRV petrol when accelerating hard
2) Turbo lag is higher when compared to Duster AWD
3) Steering is not as sharp/feelsome/fun as BRV or Duster.

Regarding (2), I guess you are rewarded with that shove at the back post 1800 RPM, which was quite exciting

DUSTER AWD DIESEL ON HIGHWAYS

Mostly good, but Renault wants you to drive mostly in the 6th gear on highways. It's fine on highways with light traffic, but if it is moderate to heavy, you will have to use 4th and 5th gears, and that can get noisy at even 80 kmph. The Duster does not pull well in 6th gear from low RPM. Basically, if you are not concentrating on your driving, and not shifting gears precisely, you might be left behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by do-od-do View Post
I have come across many reviews where Creta is pitted against BRV. Does it really make any sense to compare both the products even if they are coming in same price bracket? Creta hands down BRV in almost all aspects of comparison like exterior design, interior quality, engine refinement, ride quility etc. Someone who don't need a 7-seater, why would he/she will look to BRV? Only because of accurate steering and better corning ability, that too at the cost of overlooking the overhang behind your back? Even if buyer is an ardent Honda follower, how does it make sense to choose BRV over Creta because it has marginally better fun to drive factor? Similarly why someone would opt for Creta when one's primary requirement is a 7-seater? I believe both products cater to different market segments and they would definitely not cannibalize each other's sales.
In my case, yeah, Creta or Duster or S-Cross were never contenders - Ertiga petrol AT was! However, BHPian ~XPlora~ test drove Creta and BR-V, before picking up BR-V. So I guess some cross-shopping will happen - with the minimum requirement being high Ground Clearance.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th July 2016 at 20:12. Reason: removing photo from magazine. copyright violation.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 19:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: Other Points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If size and brand perceptions are not a major concern, XUV 5OO offers a value for money deal over these compact SUVs at a smaller premium
Clearly; size and brand perception have not been a issue for the XUV. It was a hit when launched and continues to sell in reasonable numbers.

What I can't get past is, the reliability of a XUV5OO. It comes nowhere near that of the Honda or Hyundai and this one reason alone is good enough for me to stay away from it. I'll give up on some of the toys for better reliability. Mahindra still have a long way to go when it comes to offering a peace of mind ownership experience (Except for the Verito maybe).
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 22:12   #44
Team-BHP Support

Last set of photos, but from a different camera. My friend Niranjan is a "hobby photographer" (somebody who can identify the names of all sorts of birds!)

This is a treat for Creta fans because it really stands out in red colour, against the backdrop of the lake and the greenery.

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4630a_resize.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4636a_resize.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4642a_resize.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4644a_resize.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4648a_resize.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4649a_resize.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4659a_resize.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4666a_resize.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4668a_resize.jpg

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img_4672a_resize.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 00:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
The Creta looks a lot more desirable, thanks to its European styling and interior quality, but I guess is let down by its on road dynamics and steering.
I think road-manners are no more a deal breaker with Hyundais. Sure, they're not up there competing with Fiat, but very few will reject a Hyundai for bad handling. (If you could call it that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

Their diesel engines are bad at almost everything - power / performance / NVH
Power and Performance aren't weak points of Honda's diesel.
Quote:
Cars like the Amaze have taken cost cutting to a new threshold.
Oh come on. Don't be so critical.
I know Amaze is built to a price, but it's no Datsun Go.

Quote:
Habits die hard and so it isn't surprising the BR-V is another half hearted attempt by Honda at making a car. And as it appears, mainly to redeem the Mobilio flop.
They can't discard the platform yet. The market demanded more, but Honda gave the emerging countries a platform to make cheap cars.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks