Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2016, 16:00   #61
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!

Finally was able to take a 15KM+ long TD of the Petrol CVT BRV .

I take back my initial thoughts on the CVT's rubber band effect , that arose out of the very short initial TD. Maybe I just stomped on the A-pedal a bit too much.

This one was great, the CVT is super refined and literally you don't feel any shift-jerks. It is an absolute dream to drive in the city and picks up speed very very quickly . I had to literally control my surprise when I saw that I was doing 90+kmph in no time.. !
Yes, it gets much noisier in the S mode, think you will want to restrict its usage only to the highway.

The real fly in the ointment: the harsh ride , even in the driver seat, which has usually been quite insulated in my previous rides and TDs.

2nd row ride is Ok, but 3rd row ride is atrocious.
My mother complained that she was literally being tossed around (and this was over decent roads, with just surface imperfections/bumps)

Even the Ecosport's is a bit better, I would say.

Could this be a super generous 5 Seater petrol Automatic Crossover , with a humongous boot + added flexibility of 2 seats when you need it In-city occasionally?

Absolutely.

Last edited by BUXX : 8th August 2016 at 16:04.
BUXX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 23:37   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^ Looks like the FE figures are pretty similar for both then...
@vineshpikale : could you confirm your FE?
Got the 1st service done couple of weeks back. We did a majorly highway drive trip of about 500 kms (85% highway, balance town roads and city driving) and I've got to report that the FE numbers are rather dismal. Averaged 11 kmpl. And that's the diesel. And it's not like we were doing pedal to the floor.

Smartcat's petrol CVT BR-V does better than that. I wondering how bad the Petrol AT Creta must be.

I'm going to now hunt in the forum others owners' reports on FE.
vineshpikale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 12:34   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineshpikale View Post
Got the 1st service done couple of weeks back. We did a majorly highway drive trip of about 500 kms (85% highway, balance town roads and city driving) and I've got to report that the FE numbers are rather dismal. Averaged 11 kmpl. And that's the diesel. And it's not like we were doing pedal to the floor.

Smartcat's petrol CVT BR-V does better than that. I wondering how bad the Petrol AT Creta must be.
I think Creta AT diesel owners on team-bhp are getting 15 to 16 kmpl on the highways.

In this thread, I have mentioned that I get 10 to 12 kmpl on weekend destinations from Bangalore on state highways. But on my last trip, I got 16 kmpl after I changed my driving style, on very similar roads.

My estimate is that BR-V CVT would have given 18 to 20 kmpl on 2 + 2 highways, with low to moderate traffic - but only if one adopts the correct driving style. A friend of mine (who owns BR-V CVT) did some hypermiling and got 27 kmpl fuel economy (Cruising at 60 kmph for 30 kms). And by the way, the MID average fuel economy numbers are super-accurate.

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-img20160905wa0014.jpg

Coming to your case, I think you need to change your driving style a bit. I have a theory -

When you are driving a manual transmission, you are constantly taking your foot off the accelerator (to change gears). But when we are driving an automatic, our foot is on the accelerator pedal almost all the time (except for braking). Now, on your next highway trip, try taking your foot off the accelerator frequently. Like when you feel the momentum of the car can maintain your desired cruising speed - like on slopes.

Although you have mentioned you don't do pedal-to-the-metal type of driving, you haven't mentioned your "cruising speed". I usually cruise at 80 to 100 kmph - offers the best compromise between safety, speed (time taken to get to the destination) and fuel economy. If your cruising speed is higher (say 120 kmph), obviously it will affect the fuel economy.

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th September 2016 at 12:38.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 15:19   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I think Creta AT diesel owners on team-bhp are getting 15 to 16 kmpl on the highways.
Sure Smartcat. Our W204 which mostly I drive returns about 10.5 city and about 12.5 highway. So I was a tad bit surprised.

Wasn't driving the Creta but was present for most part during the journey.

Though I do agree with you, it's also attributed to the driving style. When I drive I do typically get 10% less than what most people with same cars or similar routes get but here the chasm seems a little too wide.

Will do a recheck and share the results.

Last edited by ampere : 26th September 2016 at 16:04. Reason: Reduced length of quoted post
vineshpikale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 15:55   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineshpikale View Post
Brilliant comparo! It captures the entire evaluation that I did when I was choosing a car last month. These exact three contenders - BRV, Creta and Duster (all in their automatic avtar though). It was a close battle and they are all three wonderful cars in their own right. The BRV is a beautiful city drive with Honda's refined petrol motor. The Duster's a superb no nonsense car that has kind of discounted form and focused largely in function. While a paper comparo will show a tick in the boxes for all 3 you need to actually get into them to feel the difference.
@vineshpikale: you virtually mirrored the thoughts post my TDs of the Automatic C-SUVs (though I even had the Ford Ecosport Petrol DCT in the mix apart from the Duster AMT, Creta AT & BR-V CVT).
My thoughts went like this:
Were it to be purely for myself, it would have to be the Duster AMT hands-down as none of the other three came close in terms of the sheer driving pleasure of the Duster;
but alas that wasn't to be & the Creta AT took the cake in lieu of better 2nd Row Seating (especially for 3) & interior quality.
On the other hand, had it been for purely '4' or '4 + 1 child' users or "safety" point of view, it is hard to beat the Ecosport on both these accounts along-with the price differential.
The BR-V in my opinion is purely for large families or those looking for a 2 + 2 + 2 (children) or combinations thereof...

Last edited by ampere : 26th September 2016 at 16:04. Reason: Reduced length of quoted post
Old 29th September 2016, 19:06   #66
BHPian

I'm starting search for my next car - a people mover. Is BRV still a good choice to consider at this point? My very initial thoughts are that I may be comparing BRV with Ertiga, as only those two seem to be the choices for 6/7 seater vehicle I'm looking for. Not a fan of Hyundai and Mahindra.

Please excuse (and re-direct me) if I'm missing the BRV-Ertiga compare and posting on incorrect thread.
prashkul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 19:42   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
I'm starting search for my next car - a people mover. Is BRV still a good choice to consider at this point? My very initial thoughts are that I may be comparing BRV with Ertiga, as only those two seem to be the choices for 6/7 seater vehicle I'm looking for. Not a fan of Hyundai and Mahindra. Please excuse (and re-direct me) if I'm missing the BRV-Ertiga compare and posting on incorrect thread.
Since Ertiga AT was pretty much the only car I seriously considered before I picked up the BRV AT, I might be able to help here.

Advantage BRV (against Ertiga):

1) Useable bootspace with the 3rd row up. 225 litres against 135 litres of Ertiga. The base of the boot is very wide. You can even place international size luggage in boot of the BRV.

2) Petrol BRV is more powerful than Ertiga petrol. Diesel BRV is more fuel-efficient than diesel Ertiga. CVT of BRV is more advanced/fuel efficient than 4-speed AT of the Ertiga

3) Feature rich (keyless entry & go, projector headlamps, 16 inch alloys & tyres, automatic climate control)

4) BRV looks striking when compared to safe looks of Ertiga. Also, the all black interiors of BRV looks premium when compared to grey/light green/beige interiors of Ertiga.

5) 210 mm ground clearance means it is quite capable on bad/broken roads.

6) Seats can slide, recline and fold. It is easier to get into the 3rd row. Sitting position is more comfortable in the BRV. Plus, there is more legroom in the 2nd/3rd row.

Advantage Ertiga (against BRV):

1) Ertiga is priced (on road) between Rs. 8 lacs to Rs. 12 Lacs, while BRV is priced between Rs. 11 lacs to Rs. 15 lacs. That way, Ertiga is an excellent VFM product.

2) Ride quality of Ertiga is better. 2nd/3rd row of BRV is slightly jumpy.

3) Ertiga petrol/diesel is more refined than BRV petrol/diesel. Road, wind and engine noise levels in BRV is higher.

4) You can have a fully flat van-like floor in the Ertiga. Not possible in BRV. Useful in case you have to move large furniture/electronic items etc

5) Maruti maintenance costs and excellent after sales service (I own a Maruti A-star, I can vouch for it).

6) Likely to hold its value well after X years. BRV is likely to be a depreciation disaster, going by the sales trends so far.

Last edited by SmartCat : 29th September 2016 at 19:46.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks