Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2017, 22:02   #46
BHPian

Re: 45,000 km Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
I thought that the timeless warranty by Toyota covers this.
Timeless warranty limit is upto 1,40,000 kms or 7 years, whichever is earlier.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 22:41   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Yes, it is true that Toyota does not repair parts. Even if the damage is very small and repairable, it always prefers to replace.

Once the car is out of warranty, even I would recommend to go for FNG. Many genuine spare parts are now available in open market. So at least labour charges can be saved to an extent.
Thanks Raghavendra. I spoke to my friend & explained all the points. He decided to continue the hunt for Pre-owned Fortuner. Couple of questions again
1. With the insurance amount you are paying currently, could you please tell us what would be the approximate insurance cost for a 5 years old Fortuner? I am sure Insurance is one of the major aspect while going for such expensive cars. Also we need to see if the insurance is still valid OR it is expired.
2. We were not aware of timeless warranty from Toyota ( 1,40,000 KM OR 7 years ). Thanks for sharing this crucial point! If the vehicle is 5 years old & not under warranty, can we buy extended warranty from Toyota ( Up to 7 years )? If yes, what would be the approximate charges for 1 year of extended warranty?
3. Apart from regular checks, anything else you want us to consider before finalizing on the deal? ( I mean just specific to Fortuner )
Thanks much in advance

Quote:
Timeless warranty limit is upto 1,40,000 kms or 7 years, whichever is earlier.
Now I know why people sell Fortuners after approximately 1,50,000 KMs even though they are hardly 3-4 years old & still under very good condition! That is the catch. So warranty coverage is done & they don't want to take a chance. So whoever buys pre-owned vehicle which are done > 1,40,000 KM have to be ready to shell out a bomb for any major repair OR they need to depend on FNG. Quite risky! Insurance coverage is always there for any damage as such. But such expensive vehicles not under warranty is certainly not a peace of mind for owner

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd May 2017 at 21:34. Reason: Posts merged.
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 23:39   #48
BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
1. With the insurance amount you are paying currently, could you please tell us what would be the approximate insurance cost for a 5 years old Fortuner?
2. If the vehicle is 5 years old & not under warranty, can we buy extended warranty from Toyota ( Up to 7 years )? If yes, what would be the approximate charges for 1 year of extended warranty?
3. Apart from regular checks, anything else you want us to consider before finalizing on the deal?
1. It should be in the range of Rs. 30,000 - 35,000 for an IDV of Rs. 15 Lakhs with Zero Depreciation cover, although I am sure you can get a good deal in insurance.
2. Yes, you can buy the warranty provided it has not crossed 1,40,000 kms. Price will depend on the service records. Also important is that there should be no signs of tampering with the ODO. Here is a thread that mentions prices etc. Link.
3. Get a thorough check report once you zero-in on a particular car. Demand for the complete service record and tally the same with the manual. One important point that most service centers and owners forget about is propeller shaft greasing every 10,000 km. Also check the brake pads and tyre tread life as these are the most expensive wear and tear items that requires replacements. Especially the brake pads for automatic transmission models.

Quote:
Now I know why people sell Fortuners after approximately 1,50,000 KMs even though they are hardly 3-4 years old & still under very good condition!
If it is 3 years or younger, you still have an option of purchasing Toyota True warranty for upto 1,80,000 km or 5 years.

Hope this helps!
ragh_bhushan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:28   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 45,000 km Service Update

Quote:
With ODO at 42,517 km, the Check Engine light and VSC light suddenly came on together. It was odd that two errors popped up simultaneously
The fact that the lights went off later means it was a momentary issue.The value could have been marginally off from normal and must have immediately become normal.

In all probability, the error code could have been fuel circuit low performance, which could have even been triggered by a momentary low voltage due to a weak battery.

The ECU stores the code but allows the car to run for a few driving cycles before the warning lights go off.

Toyota was kind enough to offer a full kit replacement but in my view, you would have been fine even without doing anything except cleaning the fuel filter.

Yellow warning lights are like amber lights which don't warrant immediate shut down but caution you.

Reds(brake fluid low, oil pressure low,alternator not charging) are serious issues which warrant immediate checks and rectification before driving on.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:14   #50
BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.

Are such things covered under insurance even if the warranty period is over? I mean suppose we have a 3 year warranty on a vehicle and we have zero dep insurance for 4th & 5th year what will be the scenario in case a major fault is reported after my warranty period is over in 4,5 year.

I never took any claim on my car hence no idea how it works but after reading your thread I feel insurance and warranty can really save you from big dents in your pocket.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:

If it is 3 years or younger, you still have an option of purchasing Toyota True warranty for upto 1,80,000 km or 5 years.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Raghavendra for your prompt response. All these information is crucial before making a decision! Will keep you posted If there are any further questions, I will come back to bug you
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:33   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The fact that the lights went off later means it was a momentary issue. The value could have been marginally off from normal and must have immediately become normal.
True. That is the reason I did not bother to immediately take the car to the service centre.

Quote:
Toyota was kind enough to offer a full kit replacement but in my view, you would have been fine even without doing anything except cleaning the fuel
These are the experiences which add to the confidence in Toyota badge. All cars are bound to face issues in their lifecycle as they are just machines made by man and are in no way 100% perfect. But what matters to owners is the empathy and response they get from the brand through their service centres towards these issues that make the owner's life delightful or miserable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Are such things covered under insurance even if the warranty period is over? I mean suppose we have a 3 year warranty on a vehicle and we have zero dep insurance for 4th & 5th year what will be the scenario in case a major fault is reported after my warranty period is over in 4,5 year.
No, once the warranty term is over then any issue that is not caused by an accident is not covered. In short, only accidental repairs are covered in the insurance even if you have zero depreciation insurance. Hence, it is advisable to get the warranty cover for as long as available.

Quote:
Thanks Raghavendra for your prompt response. All these information is crucial before making a decision! Will keep you posted If there are any further questions, I will come back to bug you
You are most welcome RAHS. Let me know if you need any assistance from my side.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 20:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

Ragh,

Wow! That is an amazing thread! I just bumped into it and good details and information!!

Thank you for your kindness in mentioning my name and appreciate it!!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 19:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Ragh,

Wow! That is an amazing thread! I just bumped into it and good details and information!!

Thank you for your kindness in mentioning my name and appreciate it!!
Thanks Surya and congratulations on completing 50,000 kms with your Fortuner! Wish you many more happy miles!
Old 7th May 2017, 22:20   #55
BHPian

Mumbai - Delhi Solo Run

Last week I did a solo run from Mumbai to Delhi. Started from Mumbai at 4am. The plan was to plan as the day progresses. Will let the pictures do the talking.

Excuse to drive
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2028.png

Early morning drives are absolutely therapeutic!
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2041.jpg

Breakfast & Coffee break at Surat.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2043.jpg

Fortuner had its share of breakfast!
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2046.jpg

Gujarat State Highways are way better than some of the National Highways.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2049.jpg

Whole drive was wonderfully scenic.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2062.jpg

Welcome to Rajasthan! Rajasthan offers some incredible terrain for off-roading. Note to self added.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2072.jpg

Lunch break at the outskirts of Udaipur. The bypass for Udaipur is a joke. It is advisable to pass through the city as the trucks completely choke the undivided two-lane bypass road.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2083.jpg

It rained near Beawar. First wet run of the year!
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2108.jpg

Dirt brings out the real character of this truck. Decided to spend the night at Ajmer.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2114.jpg

Reached Gurugram early next morning.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2133.jpg

Fuel economy for the onward trip. Not bad considering spirited drive.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2135.jpg

Found society washing guys and got them to wash my truck.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2139.jpg

Journey Stats:
  • Total Distance: 1436 kms
  • Total Driving Time: ~19 Hours
  • Full Tanks: 2
  • Fuel Efficiency: 10.1 kmpl
  • Toll Paid by Fastag: Rs. 794 (Free pass where Fastag scanners did not work)
  • Toll Paid in Cash: Rs. 105 (Rajsamand to Beawar, ~100kms undivided two lane roads. No Fastag scanners)
  • Total Toll Plazas: ~32
  • Best Tarmac: Godhra - Shamlaji Gujarat SH and Kishangarh - Jaipur Expressway
  • Worst Tarmac: Neemrana - Dharuhera - Manesar

Started return journey after spending 4 days.

Rajasthan roads. Most scenic on the route with sparse traffic.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2162.jpg

Following lane discipline.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2172.jpg

Trucking brotherhood.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2174.jpg

Beauty in barren lands of Rajasthan!
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2181.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2183.jpg

Milestones
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2189.jpg

2 Letter town. 2 kms away. Maybe they were not sure about the prefix.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2195.jpg

Bhilwara - Rajsamand. 100kms of the best roads I have driven on. Almost zero traffic.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2199.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2211.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2223.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2233.jpg

Extra Tyre = Extra Seat!
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2242.jpg

End of surreal Rajasthan.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2248.jpg

Broke journey at Vadodra. Finished off work next day and reached home at midnight.Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2277.jpg

Back to the Fort. Bond grows stronger!
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2276.jpg

Return Journey Stats:
  • Total Distance: 1457 kms
  • Total Driving Time: ~18.5 Hours
  • Full Tanks: 2
  • Fuel Efficiency: 9.9 kmpl
  • Toll Paid by Fastag: Rs. 479 (Free pass where Fastag scanners did not work)
  • Toll Paid in Cash: Rs. 100 (Bhilwara to Rajsamand, ~100kms. Fastag will start soon)
  • Total Toll Plazas: ~31
  • Best Tarmac: Bhilwara to Rajsamand
  • Worst Tarmac: Udaipur Bypass, Manesar to Dharuhera
Thanks for reading guys. Keep revving!

Last edited by ragh_bhushan : 7th May 2017 at 22:43.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 08:17   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Informative log and excellent pictures, RB.

For a 1400km journey, I would have expected you to cough up approx 1350 rupees by way of toll charges. You've got away with freebies thanks to Fasttag.

The Fuel Efficiency is quite disappointing, spirits notwithstanding. But I am sure you'd have felt really charged up at the end of the drive.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 20:04   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ Informative log and excellent pictures, RB.
Thanks vigsom!
Quote:
For a 1400km journey, I would have expected you to cough up approx 1350 rupees by way of toll charges. You've got away with freebies thanks to Fasttag.
Yes, Fastag is highly recommended for everyone
Quote:
The Fuel Efficiency is quite disappointing, spirits notwithstanding. But I am sure you'd have felt really charged up at the end of the drive.
Indeed
Old 28th May 2017, 20:35   #58
BHPian

Update: 50,000 kms Service

50,000 kms Service Update:

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-2.jpg

Owing to recent Mumbai - Delhi - Mumbai run, Furteela Ghonga reached the 50,000 km ODO mark on 19 May 2017. So it has been exactly 1 year, 3 months and 2 days since the acquisition of this marvellous beast in which this milestone was achieved.

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-1.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-3.jpg

The truck feels as good as new and I am absolutely loving the entire ownership experience.

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fullsizerender-4.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fullsizerender.jpg

Some Stats:
  • Average run per day : 110 kms
  • Max run per day : 1200 kms (Mumbai - Jaisalmer)
  • Max run per month : ~7,000 kms
  • Min run per month : ~1,500 kms
  • Longest Trips : ~3,000 kms (Mumbai - Chennai, Mumbai - Delhi, Both Return)

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fullsizerender-2.jpg

Service appointment was made on the same day (Friday) as I usually do a long drive on Sunday. Was planning to drive to Bangalore in the coming week which did not materialise due time crunch. Took a flight instead.

Lakozy Toyota Andheri was quite accommodating and got an appointment for 1 PM on the same day.

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-4.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-5.jpg

Services Carried Out:
  • Oil Change, ~6.9L
  • Oil Filter Change
  • 5 Tyre Rotation
  • Wheel Alignment
  • All brakes cleaned
  • Propellor shaft greased
  • Interior and exterior cleaning
  • Checkup of complete electrical and mechanical systems
  • Detailed Report given

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-6.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-11.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-12.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-14.jpg

Remarks:
  • Brake pads have about 40% thickness left. Will have to be changed at 55K or 60K kms. Factory brake pads ran for 30,000 kms.
  • Tyres have a good tread depth of 4mm left and should last at least 20K kms more
  • This was service number 11
  • Last Servicing was done on 24 April, 2017. So this service was within 1 month of previous service
  • Total amount paid : Rs. 7,739/-
  • In 2012, 50,000 kms used to cost Rs. 4,291. Link

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-report-1.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-report-2.jpg

Service Rating:
  • Truck Delivered in 7 Hours
  • Overall servicing was good
  • Cleaning was bad. There were a lot of greasy finger prints on windows and windscreen which I was unable check properly as by the time I took delivery of the truck, it was already quite dark
  • My rating : 8/10

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-bill-1.jpg

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-bill-2.jpg

Truck has completed about 600 kms post service and running like brand new
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fullsizerender-3.jpg

Looking forward to many more happy miles!
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2671.jpg

Cheers!
ragh_bhushan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 18:44   #59
BHPian

Indestructible Toyota!

Found this video which was shared by fellow BHPian. Inspires so much confidence!

Quote:
It’s been drowned, it’s been torched, it’s been crashed, it’s been pummelled, it’s been dropped from the air, and yet it’s still running. It’s the Toyota Hilux pickup, the most indestructible car in the world. Here it is in all
its battered glory…

-TopGear
Some recent pictures:

Outskirts of Aurangabad
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fullsizerender.jpg

NH4 / AH47
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2803.jpg
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2794.jpg

Chorla Ghat - Enroute Goa
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2808.jpg

Amboli Ghat
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2812.jpg

Macaque checking out the Fort
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2883.png

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2817.jpg

Line-up from the recent TBHP meet at Lonavla!
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-img_2832.jpg

Keep revving!
ragh_bhushan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 19:30   #60
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Good thread there! What do you do for a living man, with so much driving! :P Are you happy with the ride quality of the truck? One of my main problem with the vehicle is the ride quality, keeps me away from it. I find our Innova's ride just about tolerable.

Btw, we share the same first name and I also lived around BARC and went to AECS all through my school life Finished school in '98, how about you? I'm assuming you went to the same school too.

Last edited by RJK : 18th June 2017 at 19:32.
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks