Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2017, 14:59   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
In talks about it after my Skoda vRS booking refund comes and I find a car to my liking will go for it. Have called a few "Certified dealers" for BMW but the only bad thing about BMW Certified is 1 year of warranty where as Audi gives 2 years but they lack anything interesting except the TT and that new A5 SB.
Honestly, the only car that would make me rethink the vRS is the 330i. However, I found the vRS to be a little more nimbler in city traffic and that was a big plus for me!
In fact, I've made peace with the vRS over the 330i sedan - especially taking pricing into account!

But overall, the 330i GT seems to be a better bet, especially given the conditions of our roads!

Regarding the pre-owned BMW - since most of these cars will have an active warranty on it from the first purchase, I think you can pick up a BSI package too.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 13:53   #47
BHPian

re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel EDIT: Sold!

It's been long since the last update.

Honestly, there is nothing much interesting to add. I am guilty of not using the car much. Most days I drag myself around the city in our new WagonR and there hasn't been any long highway runs since last September.

However, last weekend I did take it out to Konkan. It does drive like a dream. Super smooth on rough surfaces and I could clearly see the difference in comfort levels between this one and the old 320d.

So far I haven't found anything to complain about. May be due to the less running.

I am yet to get paint coating and interiors detailing done. Hopefully, I can find some time this month for that.
Old 1st March 2018, 16:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
So far I haven't found anything to complain about. May be due to the less running.
I hope it stays complaint free. Any pics to share from your road trip? Do Bavaria motors also provide some initial detailing before delivery? I am wondering if they try to add things like underbody protection or paint sealant etc

Congratulations for your new Wagon R!
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 16:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I hope it stays complaint free. Any pics to share from your road trip? Do Bavaria motors also provide some initial detailing before delivery? I am wondering if they try to add things like underbody protection or paint sealant etc

Congratulations for your new Wagon R!
Thanks, selfdrive.

Bavaria motors provides no detailing and I guess the underbody protection is not required as it seems to be well protected already.

Unfortunately, there are no pics (of the car) to share from the recent trips. I do have a pic of WagonR from the day it was brought home.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel EDIT: Sold!-img_7802.jpg  

Old 16th April 2018, 13:39   #50
BHPian

A couple of weeks ago had a quick long drive over a weekend. It was 380+ kms one way from Pune to Buldhana. Roads were decent with being super smooth in patches.

Left home at 5ish am and reached destination at 10:30am with just one 10 mins break for tea. Was surprised that I could cover so much distance in just 5.5 hours considering the fact that 150kms is two lane road with quite a bit of traffic for 50kms.

Return journey took almost 7.5 hours as we stopped a couple of times and East-Pune evening traffic further slowed us down.

This car is super comfortable to drive and I didn't feel any tiredness whatsoever. There is neither a ghat section or too many curves on this route but it was fun nonetheless.

FE was around 13.5 and the car was 80% of time in sports mode.

Here are a couple of pics taken during return leg:
Attached Thumbnails
What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel EDIT: Sold!-img_4715.jpg  

What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel EDIT: Sold!-img_4656.jpg  

the_skyliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 13:12   #51
BHPian

It's been exactly one year since the car came home. Has been a smooth ownership experience so far. Didn't get to drive the car as much as I would have liked to. Probably, will be able to make up for that this year.

Few updates:

- Odo stands at just 7k kms.
- iDrive is showing 2k kms for servicing. Will mostly get it done in a couple of weeks time.
- FE has been around 11 kmpl with equal spread between highway and city driving.
- Car was pulling to left and hence got wheel balancing and alignment done last month at a local tyre shop.
- The spare wheel in the boot is a real pain when traveling with luggage. Thinking of getting a tyre inflator and getting rid of the spare.
- GC of this car is really useful. Don't have to think much when tackling bad roads. I usually put the car in sports mode when going over rough surfaces.
- Got the insurance renewed last week. Went with Bajaj Allianz with 0 dep and engine protector.

A recent click (the car needs a visit to Aquatint for detailing. It is long due):
Attached Thumbnails
What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel EDIT: Sold!-img_7603.jpg  

the_skyliner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 10:23   #52
BHPian

Last week someone from BMW dealer called and told that there is some test to be conducted on the car to check EGR valve status. It was a doorstep service and needed 15 mins of my time.

So got it done on Saturday morning. The technician plugged in his laptop and a device to the car and checked for some readings and concluded that all is okay.

He said BMW has asked them to check some 300 odd cars in their region and mostly these are GT, G30 520d and X1. After checking around 100 cars he didn't find any fault is what he said.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel EDIT: Sold!-img_8204.jpg  

Old 29th August 2018, 17:38   #53
BHPian

Update:

The car went for it's first servicing last week at 7400 kms. Oil filter, air filters and oil were replaced and AC was serviced (don't know why). It took them 1 and half day which is fine.

Car was picked up and dropped back at no extra cost and the overall experience was really good. Car was washed cleaned free of charge. Fumigation was done as well.

The SA did insist over phone on using diesel additives most of the times. I am not sure if this has to do anything with the EGR check-up last month. I asked him but he said this is just to avoid carbon deposition on the cylinder walls.

Anyhow, I do have a couple of bottles of diesel additives from last year which I will use up now.

Got to take the car out for a drive to Mumbai post servicing and the engine did feel smoother.

Total damages were around 27k.
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 14:19   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

It's been 9 months since your last update.
How is the car doing? How many km done?

So the annual service cost (if no BSI/BSI+ is taken) is @27000?
Did you buy the 6 year warranty?

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 14:37   #55
BHPian

Quote:
- GC of this car is really useful. Don't have to think much when tackling bad roads. I usually put the car in sports mode when going over rough surfaces.
Why do you use the sport mode for rough surfaces? I don't believe the 3 GT ever came with Adaptive dampers in India, although I could be wrong
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 15:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi,

It's been 9 months since your last update.
How is the car doing? How many km done?

So the annual service cost (if no BSI/BSI+ is taken) is @27000?
Did you buy the 6 year warranty?

Cheers!
Car is doing good except that it is sad that it has only 10k on its odo. Blame goes to owner who hasn't been able to find time to take her out much.

Yes, the service cost was 27k for first service without BSI. And I am yet to buy the warranty for 4th year. I am not too keen on 5-6 years warranty as mostly likely will let the car go around 4th/5th year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Why do you use the sport mode for rough surfaces? I don't believe the 3 GT ever came with Adaptive dampers in India, although I could be wrong
True but the overall stiffness of chassis in sport mode does provide a little more confidence.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 15:23   #57
BHPian

Quote:
True but the overall stiffness of chassis in sport mode does provide a little more confidence.
There is absolutely nothing in the chassis that's stiffened up in sport mode in the 3 GT (no active roll bars, no active dampers, no air suspension, no magnetic suspension...).

If you have felt a difference, it's definitely a placebo effect. You can continue to ride over bad roads in any mode that you want to.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 15:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing in the chassis that's stiffened up in sport mode in the 3 GT (no active roll bars, no active dampers, no air suspension, no magnetic suspension...).

If you have felt a difference, it's definitely a placebo effect. You can continue to ride over bad roads in any mode that you want to.
May you are right but iDrive gives you option to select either "Drivetrain only" or "Drivetrain and Chassis" when editing sport mode settings.

What could that be then?
Old 30th May 2019, 15:37   #59
BHPian

Quote:
May you are right but iDrive gives you option to select either "Drivetrain only" or "Drivetrain and Chassis" when editing sport mode settings.

What could that be then?
Drivetrain is, as you know, throttle response and gearbox shift RPMs, and shift speed.
Chassis is just the steering, which firms up in sport mode.

See this post for F30 drive mode settings.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4571674 (BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast)

Last edited by d3mon : 30th May 2019 at 15:39.
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 15:45   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Drivetrain is, as you know, throttle response and gearbox shift RPMs, and shift speed.
Chassis is just the steering, which firms up in sport mode.

See this post for F30 drive mode settings.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4571674 (BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast)
I concur (at least about my 330i).

Quote:

What could that be then?
Look at the graphic that pops up when you change the modes.
"The drivetrain" is engine and gearbox highlighted.
"The chassis" is just the steering highlighted.

Does the pop up graphic on your iDrive highlight any suspension parts in bright color at all?
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks