Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 10:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I had to visit Sriperumbudur (Chennai outskirts) for some work. Started early morning and planned to return the same evening. I have been running exclusively on Speed 97 for the past few tankfills. I tanked up 97 in Bangalore on the way out of the city. I was feeling bad that I will have to fill 91 on the way back as there are no pumps dispensing 97 along the way.
I spotted your car between Electronics City and Attibelle toll booths around 6:45am on the first of March. I was heading out on a long trip. I had no idea that it was your car and was explaining to my wife what the car is all about.

And yes, I overtook you and was wondering why a GTI was taking it slow.

Last edited by tharian : 14th March 2018 at 11:15.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 11:14   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I spotted your car between Electronics City and Attibelle toll booths around 6:45am on the first of March. I was heading out on a long trip. I had no idea that it was your car and was explaining to my wife what the car is all about.

And yes, I overtook you and was wondering why a GTI was taking is slow.
Oh yes! Now I remember, there was a good looking Aspire Sport that morning that was being chased by a Vento if I am not mistaken . I had a lot of driving coming up that week and did not want to strain myself. So I had resolved to drive in a relaxed manner that day, but half way through the return journey I gave in to the temptation and stuck the lever into manual mode and started tugging on the paddles!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 14th March 2018 at 11:21.
Santoshbhat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 11:20   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

5,000 kms came up this week, 7 months into ownership. Being an experienced VAG TSI user, I opened up the hood and checked the oil dipstick. The oil was almost down to the min level on the dipstick. Good time to open the 1L Helix Ultra oil can lying in the boot! I poured the oil in 250ml at a time, checking the dipstick after every pour. After about 750ml top up, the level came close to the full level.

This is pretty normal for the 1.8 TSI engine. Even the manual states that 0.5L of oil consumption every 1,000kms is normal. Given these characteristics it is important that owners are advised by the company to check the oil level atleast once every 3,000 kms or so. 15,000km oil change interval is really questionable when they say that their engine drinks 1L per 2,000 kms.

Nothing much else to report. One small irritation that is creeping is a creaking sound from the rear discs after handbrakes are engaged. Everytime you sit or get up from the car, the brakes creak, which is getting a bit irritating. It is loud enough for people to ask "why is it creaking like that?" Not cool! Also the suspension is giving out some creaks when taking out the car first time in the morning and cold starts thereafter. Guess it needs some lubrication. I am thinking of getting these things sorted out during 1st service (about 5 months away).

Love this car to bits. It is a fantastic daily driver. It is very much at home in crawling, dense traffic at the same time it is every ready to play whenever the opportunity presents itself or when you are in the mood.

Interesting observation: Reducing tyre pressure to 30 psi does not really improve slow speed ride that much. I had taken the car out for a long drive for which I had pumped up the pressure to 36/34 psi. After coming back I got busy and could not drop pressure back to 30 psi. I felt that 36 psi wasn't really causing me any discomfort in terms of ride quality. So I have stuck to this for the city as well. Of course it is very much possible that I have gotten used to the stiff ride.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th March 2018 at 11:23.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 11:25   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interesting observation: Reducing tyre pressure to 30 psi does not really improve slow speed ride that much. I had taken the car out for a long drive for which I had pumped up the pressure to 36/34 psi. After coming back I got busy and could not drop pressure back to 30 psi. I felt that 36 psi wasn't really causing me any discomfort in terms of ride quality. So I have stuck to this for the city as well. Of course it is very much possible that I have gotten used to the stiff ride.
Its happened to me before on some of our cars, but when I reduced the pressure to what I used to keep earlier, I suddenly wondered how I had kept it that high for so long. I think you got used to the stiff ride
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 13:30   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea where we can buy a full body cover for the GTI? As summer vacation has started, cars are getting scratched in the building parking by mischievous children!
Old 10th May 2018, 14:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Any idea where we can buy a full body cover for the GTI? As summer vacation has started, cars are getting scratched in the building parking by mischievous children!
I would assume a regular OE Polo cover would be a perfect fit and good quality too?
Old 11th May 2018, 12:36   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I would assume a regular OE Polo cover would be a perfect fit and good quality too?
It should, will check it out tomorrow by visiting the dealer.
Old 11th May 2018, 14:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
It should, will check it out tomorrow by visiting the dealer.
Hey Anand, all I can assure is:

For insanely overpriced, ridiculously difficult to procure and absurdly identical stuff, there are the OEM (VW) dealers...

...for everything else, there is the Aliexpress
!!
Link
Vik0728 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 15:58   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

1 year/ 7,500 Kms/ 1st Service Update

Its been a long time since I’ve updated this thread. No news is good news when it comes to complex Germans!

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-service.jpg

The car completes 1 year this August and it was time to schedule the 1st oil change service. This is my third VAG car and by now I know how things work here. I had been servicing my GT TSI at VW Palace Cross Hesarghatta service centre. I have had no issues with them the in past so I am sticking to the same centre for my GTI too. Since the GTI is a CBU and a rare car, I wasn't so sure that GTI related spares and consumables would be readily stocked at service centres. So about two months before the service due date, when I was passing by the area, it struck me to pay them a visit and enquire about the availability of service consumables in person. There are only a couple of senior experienced service advisors who are allowed to take cars like the GTI, Tiguan and new Passat. I was directed to one of them and sure enough there were no consumables in stock at the service centre here nor at their branch at Rajajinagar. As far as consumables are concerned, except the oil used, nothing is common when it comes to the GTI and other Polos. The air filter, oil filter, cabin filter, brake pads, discs all are different for the GTI. I was taken inside to their parts store where they said they fill feed in my car’s VIN and the consumables thrown up by the system will have to be ordered. They said that “usually” the company stocks these spares in their Chakan factory. Since “usually” does not mean always, I realised it would be better to order a set of brake pads and keen in stock with me so that I am not stranded for lack of part availability when the need comes up. My pads have a lot of life left in them as of now and looks like I won’t need them for another 10,000 kms atleast. But this is VAG, and it is better to be safe than sorry! I was made to make an advance payment of Rs. 5,000/- for placing the order and I was told that the parts would take about 1 to 2 weeks to arrive. Off I went hoping to get a call soon. I got really busy after that and did not bother to call them even after a month, since I was really pressed for time and it was very difficult to schedule a service at that time. About two weeks back the car started showing up service reminders in the cluster display and with two weeks to go, just as I had decided to call them, I got a call from them saying that all the parts had arrived. It took full 40 days for them to receive the parts after placement of order! Not a good sign for things to come and makes me really nervous as an owner. I really intend to hold on to this car for a long time. Of course I can’t complain. I have bought this car knowing very well that this is a limited production car. But one thing is for sure, this cannot be your only car and potential for long downtimes is very high. If regular consumables are going to take this long to arrive, I shudder to think how long accident repair parts are going to take?

The actual service went pretty much like any other service. I did not have any serious issues to be sorted out other than the fact that the brakes were creaking a bit at parking speeds and the rear suspension used to make a creaking sound whenever someone got in or out of the car with brakes engaged. Told them to clean the brake pads, grease the calipers and lubricate and retorque suspension bolts. The service advisor seemed to be experienced and understood my concerns about ensuring that only the right parts go into the car and no one mistakes this car for a regular Polo. The final bill came to about Rs. 19k, out of which about Rs. 5.3k were for the brake pads. Apparently things like the air filter and AC filter used to cost a lot more upto about a couple of months ago. Labour rates are same as regular Polo. Recently they have rationalised part costs for cars like the Tiguan, Passat and GTI so that owners don’ brand them as ‘high maintenance’. I also got a 10% discount as part of the ongoing monsoon offer on the brake pads. The parts that came for my car contain my car’s VIN on the packing stickers and were specifically shipped for my car. Seeing the month of import, looks like some even flew in from Germany.

Overall service quality was OK. When I reached, the car was neatly washed and parked in the delivery area. The SA showed me all the replaced parts and also popped the hood to show me the fresh oil on the dipstick. But the level was at the min level on the dip stick. He said the car took in 5.3L and the level would rise slowly. But even after idling for a few mins (the procedure as per the manual) , the level did not rise. I check the oil level frequently, a habit inculcated from my Laura days and it was never this low. I insisted for a top up. After a 750ml top up, the level was up to max. Payment and billing was swift. But one thing was unmissable - The low number of cars that day. At 6pm , I was the only customer waiting to be billed and they were almost ready to shut shop. Anyway, I am pretty satisfied with the quality of work done and the way I was attended to.

Largish air filter
Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-20180815_092159.jpg

Rear and front brake pads kept in storage
Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-20180815_092446.jpg

Other updates.
I have not made any other additions to the car and it is bone stock right now. That 4 year warranty is too valuable and I simply can’t risk it. Speaking of warranty, I intent to take the 2+3 year warranty which is now available. If purchased within a year of purchase, the price is lower.

The car has been performing flawlessly and is an absolute delight to own. I can’t think of any other car that is more perfectly suited for my needs than this. My daily office runs are very short and the small size and footprint is a real boon. I haven’t driven out of town much. A couple of runs to Belgaum, a drive to Chennai and a couple of drives to Shimogga and that’s it.

There are some cars that make you excited every time there is a prospect of picking up the keys and driving. Well, this car makes me excited even if I have to drive to the grocery store. The 1.8 TSI and 7 speed DSG is a brilliant combination. We all love to hate the DQ 200 for its unreliability. I have said it before and I will say it again, the DQ 200 in this car is on another level. I am pretty sure there some hardware differences between the gear box in this car and the one in the GT TSI. For starter’s it is less jerky and not hesitant at slow speeds. The upshifts are much faster and downshifts non jerky. People say that the ZF8 is one of the best gear boxes out there. I have the ZF8 in my X3 30d and it’s bloody good. But this 7 speed DSG is right up there. I love using paddles in this car as opposed to the X3. Paddles are always more entertaining in a petrol and 8 gears are just too much to keep track of!

The suspension is quite stiff and at times can be a pain especially when driving on rain ravaged roads like they are in Bangalore right now. But I am now quite used to them and have realised the optimum speed at which to take potholes , bumps and cuts. The low GC has not been a problem so far and I haven’t scraped anywhere. The short wheelbase takes ensures that the rear wheels are up before the underbody kisses the peaks of humps. But the car is very rewarding to drive on smooth roads. The steering feel is definitely better than other Polos and is quite responsive. You get a tremendous feeling of control, thanks to the stiff suspension, antiroll bars and good brakes. Brakes have excellent bite and very good stopping power. The tyres are a bit of a disappointment though. I wish they gave us a more sporty oriented tyre. The made in Spain Bridgestone Turanzas seem to be touring tyres with a hardish rubber compound designed for long life. I am a Michelin fan and like feeling the tyre tread for softness. The rubber seems to have hardened already at 7,500 kms. I did a tyre rotation at 7k kms and found that the fronts had worn out quite a bit more than the rears and the treads had a bit of visual wear and tear – result of some rapid acceleration bursts. Another few thousand Kms and I think the car will start sliding sideways. The tyre size (215/45/R16) is very rare and I don’t see any options in the Indian market. BHPian Robimahanta tells me that VW does supply these tyres if needed, at a royal price of Rs. 27,000 a piece . Thankfully 205/50/R16 is a compatible size and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is available in this size.

The CBU quality of the car is another thing I love. The car is clearly built to higher quality standards and every interior part just oozes quality. It is easy to fall in love with VW build quality. The soft touch dashboard, the sweet steering wheel and quality switch gear deliver a feel good factor. The all black interiors with black headlining exudes a very sporty feel. The car is also surprisingly good at keeping the interiors well insulated from outside noises. The loudish exhaust and wind and tyre roar only come into play at higher speeds. At city speeds the interiors are very hushed.

The car loves high octane petrol. The difference in performance is very clearly evident. HP Power 99 brings out the best from the engine followed by BP speed 97. I try to keep up the high octane diet as much as possible. I find it worth my while to drive up nearly 10 kms just to tank up the high octane stuff. Makes for a nice Sunday morning drive too. A tank of 45 lts lasts me a month.

I am also enjoying the two door configuration. The large door and window gives a nice feeling up front and my kids are happy to jump into the back seat. No child locks or window switches for me to worry about.

The car is a giant killer on highways. Most big Germans on the road are 2 litre diesels and the GTI has got the legs on them. The exterior changes compared to the normal Polo are too subtle to notice. But having said, that the car does get its share of attention. I see a few knowledgeable folks turning and straining their necks to get a good look at the car. Some even take out their phones for a shot.

Being a VW, the car is a very controlled animal. At times you feel the car could do with a bit more drama. The acceleration is so linear that you hardly notice the turbo kicking in. The steering, although better than most VAG cars, isn’t the most communicative unit. When you are cruising around in D mode, the car feels very similar to the GT TSI with the gear box upshifting early and making the most of the torquey engine with the exhaust giving out a refined bassy note. The beast awakens in S mode. Upshifts above 5,000 rpm gives out those farts with plenty of blips and pops on part throttle and braking. It is the perfect hot hatch right now. Refined and practical for daily use, at the same time can be super fun when you get the opportunity to drive enthusiastically.

Treated the car with a detailing session at 3M along with a rodent coating for the engine bay and anti rust treatment for the underbody.

Some pictures post detailing

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_3365.jpg

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_3369.jpg

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_3372.jpg

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_3374.jpg

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_3375.jpg

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_3376.jpg

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_3378.jpg

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_3383.jpg

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_3384.jpg

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 19th August 2018 at 16:15.
Santoshbhat is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 17:10   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

2 + 3 Year Extended Warranty

When I visited the service centre for first service, I was informed about the option to extend my 2+2 year warranty to a 2+3 year warranty by paying the difference in cost. I took some time to weigh the pros and cons and decided it was worth the additional 25K asking price. The DSG gearbox is the main reason I went for it, and it is quite likely that the DSG replacement cost for the GTI is much higher than the GT TSI. I have already paid about 60K for 2+2 warranty and if I miss the 31st Aug deadline, the price for 2+3 year warranty goes up by another 25K. So in total the 2+3 year warranty has costed me about 85k.

Always nice to have long warranty coverage for years on such cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-warranty-scan.jpg  

Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 17:50   #56
Team-BHP Support

VW Hesarghatta are pretty good although I do have a problem in that they wont change things even if I ask them to - brake fluid for instance. For routine stuff they are good and the check in / check out process is only rivalled by Maruti
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 22:42   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a highway drive in the GTI today. After Diwali the highways are pretty much deserted now. Midweek even the truck density is usually low. It was breeze passing through all the toll gates including the ones exiting BLR city.

Solo drive in the GTI, tanked up with high octane petrol on empty highways on a cool November evening. What a joy! The tight and compact hatch just becomes an extension of your body by the time you drive a couple of hours. The hot hatch formula is so simple. Take a normal hatchback, tighten up the suspension, tune the steering for more feedback, plonk a fiesty engine, add a good sounding exhaust if possible, provide brakes from a couple of segments up and big rims and fat tyres.

It is such a cracker of a car that it is impossible to just drive nonchallantly thinking about other stuff! And that DSG is simply mindblowing. Some people say real enthusiasts like only manual transmissions, but this dry clutch DSG is something else. Even in regular D mode, the shifts are super fast. When you accelerate, it is like zz zzz zzzz zzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzzzzz . Within 7 seconds, it can go from 1st gear to 7th gear. Even those paddles are super responsive. Moment you pull the paddle you have a gear shift. It literally is lightening fast. I love using paddles in this car since the engine and exhaust note gives me superb aural feedback and it has almost become subconscious now, just like how we shift in MT cars. Very convenient and super fun. Tired of shifting and want some rest? put it into D. Want to drive aggressively without shifting manually? - Tap it into S. S mode has its own pleasures. Suppose you are S6 or S5 and have to brake hard because of some slow moving traffic ahead. Depending on how hard you brake, it rev matches, blips the throttle and downshifts to either S3 or S4 or even S2. The RPM rises to 4,500 to 5,500 and the exhaust starts screaming by now. I never intend to startle the guy in front, but that's what happens. And then when you step on the A pedal, the engine screams in anger, the exhaust gives out a fart with every gear change and you are away.

The brakes need a special mention. They are indeed very very strong brakes. I haven't gotten into any panic stopping situations yet, but there have been times when I spotted a speed breaker a tad too late and braked hard. Piece of cake for the GTI, not even a close one. Any other car, and I would have flown over it. The braking ability starts sinking in once you drive long enough and it gives you the confidence to just keep pushing and pushing and you ending up braking very late. At times this too scares people.

The TSI engine has this amazing ability to extend the range. It can give upto 20 kpl if you want. Just cruise at 100 ~ 120 kph and it will easily average in the high teens. Suppose you have 200 kms to go and the range shows 180 kms and you don't have good pumps on the way. Just cruise steadily for about 50 kms and the range starts going up. By the end of 50 kms you will see the range go up by nearly 50 kms. Once you have built up a reasonable buffer, get back to your usual pace . One tankful gives me about 575 kms. Easily good enough for a drive to Belgaum. But I have to drive sedately for about 100 to 200 kms to get this range. If I drive in S mode or manual mode for the entire journey, it will not suffice. Suits me fine, since some stretches are slow esp after Chitradurga upto Hubli.

Coming upto 10,000 kms now. It has been smooth sailing so far.
Did a small photo shoot on the highway of the pocket rocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_20181115_145954__01.jpg  

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_20181115_150004__01.jpg  

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_20181115_150013__01.jpg  

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_20181115_150021__01.jpg  

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_20181115_150057__01.jpg  

Hot Hatch Fever - My Volkswagen Polo GTI 1.8L TSI-img_20181115_150121__02__01.jpg  

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 15th November 2018 at 22:47.
Santoshbhat is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 14:45   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Solo drive in the GTI, tanked up with high octane petrol on empty highways on a cool November evening. What a joy! The tight and compact hatch just becomes an extension of your body by the time you drive a couple of hours...
What a fantastic write up! Felt as if I am driving that car! And now the Polo GT feels still more under-powered!

Hope VW brings the next gen 5 door GTi with the 2.0TSi to India, though it is but a dream going by all the news.
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 16:03   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Dream on!

But perhaps this GTi might not be a one-off. Let's hope!

My TDi has more than enough power for my needs, but which of us Polo guys wouldn't love a GTi?

Actually, 2 doors is enough for a car of this size and looks much nicer than 4, but buyers will mostly want that 4-door practicality

And if we are going to dream, let's dream big: Golf GTi!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 11:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Had a highway drive in the GTI today. After Diwali the highways are pretty much deserted now. Midweek even the truck density is usually low. It was breeze passing through all the toll gates including the ones exiting BLR city.

Solo drive in the GTI, tanked up with high octane petrol on empty highways on a cool November evening. What a joy! )
After reading your post, felt that we need to go on a drive together. A red one beside this beautiful black will just make the frame more beautiful. Long overdue. We need to meet. That's some astonishing efficiency numbers you have managed.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks