Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Diesel XZ - Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am facing a problem with my Head Unit of my Tiago XZ. The head unit went dead on its own and is not switching ON. Everything in the car is in Stock condition, and no wires have been touched. It came alive one day and worked for a few days and now again it's dead. It does not turn ON, I have checked all the fuses inside the cabin as well as in the engine compartment. Everything is looking good, So does anyone has any clue what might be the problem here?
Thanks
I have not experienced this myself but have heard similar experience from fellow Nexon owners. While the system is different, software bugs tend to be common across devices thanks to reused codes.
The way it sorted for them was - remove the car battery +ve terminal. Leave it like that for 15 (or more if no rush) minutes & then reconnect it. That resets the system. (You'll have to set the time etc again of course on the MID.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd June 2020 at 12:42.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 22:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I have not experienced this myself but have heard similar experience from fellow Nexon owners. While the system is different, software bugs tend to be common across devices thanks to reused codes.
The way it sorted for them was - remove the car battery +ve terminal. Leave it like that for 15 (or more if no rush) minutes & then reconnect it. That resets the system. (You'll have to set the time etc again of course on the MID.)
Thanks for your response buddy. And I think you maybe right here because I was recalling an incident which happened last month during lock down. My XUV battery went dead because I had not started the car in a long time due to lockdown as we were using Tiago for anything we needed. So we had jump started our XUV from Tiago. And after then only I started facing this issue in my Tiago. And now today after almost a week the system started working on its own. So I think I'll remove the +ve terminal and leave it for 15 minutes and then connect again. Hopefully it will get normal again.
Singh09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
Hopefully it will get normal again.
Did this work? Or a visit to TASC is inevitable now?
Old 26th January 2022, 21:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Did this work? Or a visit to TASC is inevitable now?
The issue resolved on its own buddy. I was planning to take it to the dealer but it got resolved on its own after a week I guess.
Old 9th June 2022, 12:27   #20
BHPian

Hi @Singh09,
Can you share overall experience about the vehicle so far, also plz highlight major issues faced in your ownership experience.

regards
Old 10th July 2023, 17:23   #21
BHPian

It’s been a long time since I have updated this thread. Tiago has completed 70k on the ODO and still going strong except some tits and bits. So, I thought that it is a perfect time for a long-term ownership review as I have driven it extensively in city, highways, mountains and few thousand kilometers in off beat locations with no tarmac.

Engine & Transmission: Well, the 3-cylinder engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission in Tiago has its own benefits and disadvantages. It produces enough low-end torque to keep you moving in the city with ease in 2nd or 3rd gear. If you just floor the pedal, it can literally fly like a rocket but it is totally a different story on highways. You have to plan your move if you want to overtake someone at speeds above 90 kmph. The turbo lag is evident under 1900-2000 rpm. But as soon as the turbo kicks in you can literally feel the kick.
Now driving on mountains is something I never enjoyed in this car due to low power and it does struggle on inclines and the hair pin bends. It will do the job but not without any drama. I had to turn off the AC during the two trips I made to mountains in this car and they were the only trips I have done on mountains with my Tiago. But it is does feel great when you are driving it soberly on the highways in plains.
Also, the vibrations from the engine bay are clearly noticeable from day 1. The engine shakes while turning ON and OFF on a higher side comparing to other cars in the similar segment. Though the engine noise is on a medium pitch I would say and not something exceptional or to complain about considering it is a diesel engine.
But overall, the engine produces enough power may you drive it in the city or highway and I would like to add that this car is surely a better highway cruiser than the competitors in this segment and is very well planted even on higher speeds.

Suspension: Well, this is another brownie point of Tiago as the suspension of this car is very well tuned and handles the pot holes or uneven roads very nicely. It does not feel bouncy and makes the ride quality really nice and comforting. You can literally drive it over pot holes and it just glides over them. Small undulations are not even felt sometimes inside the cabin. You can take corners easily and suspension does it work perfectly. Small speed breakers are a piece of cake and it just swallows’ them.

Ground Clearance: I think I have hardly scraped this car in the last 6 years. It has a very decent ground clearance. Even with 5 people and luggage I have never scraped my car. Just have to be little careful on those enormous speed breakers and you will be just fine and this is when you are 5 people in the car with luggage. And if you are alone then you don’t have to even worry about it. And just because of the same reason it has good water wading capacity.

Build Quality: It has a strong and robust build quality I would say. Overall quality of body parts is very good even though you have gaps in body panel but the parts themselves are there to stay and very robust. Small dings from other vehicles don’t even scare her LOL. The material used for the interior is also good and everything is in order after 6 years and 70k kms.

Space and Comfort: It is best for 4 adults only or maybe 3 adults and 2 small children would be just okay. You put in 3 adults in the rear seat and you will be sentenced to a glorified punishment. But besides that, you have enough space and legroom for 4 adults in the car and can do those long-distance trips if required. The boot space is also sufficient for those long weekend trips and I have never felt any issues regarding space. I would say it’s sufficient enough to do the chores if not to the likes of a sedan as we all know it’s a hatchback.

Lighting: Well, it’s something I was never satisfied with until I changed the headlight bulbs to 90/100-Watt halogen bulbs which increased the visibility to a good extend but still not up to my liking. Even the fog lamps feel as if they are there to add a feature to their top model and does not help in you night highway driving. The stock headlights do justice only for the city purpose.

Fuel Economy: Another brownie points for Tiago. I usually get around 16-18 kmpl in the city and the highway mileage depend purely on your driving style and the speed. If I drive the car very sedately around 80-90 kmpl the MID easily shows 25-26 kmpl which my dad usually gets when he is driving on highways. On the other side I get approx. 20-22 kmpl with speeds varying from 100-120 kmph. So, no complaints regarding the fuel efficiency of this car.

AC: Now this is the biggest drawback in this car and I have been dealing with this since initial days of my ownership and with time it has only become worse. The AC only cools the car after taking it’s own sweet time and it’s not like it will chill your car, it will only cool your car. During my trips to Delhi NCR if it’s day time and you get stuck in the traffic then the cooling capacity will just fell down drastically and I even start sweating sometimes if you get caught up in a traffic jam for a long interval. So, there was a rating chart I would give like 5/10. I got the AC checked couple of times and from couple of different dealers but same story. But it does work fine once the sun is gone and during night drives.

Connivence & ICE: Well, this is one of my favourite parts of this car. The 8 speaker Harmon Kardon music system is just flawless and can give competition to almost all its competitors and also to cars in segment above. The Bluetooth connectivity is really good and has a very good range. Also, you can control things from the buttons on the steering wheel. It’s like blessing in disguise for someone like me who love music while driving.

After Sales Service: Like it is said many times on this forum that it’s either a HIT or MISS case. And in my case, it was never been HIT and personally I never liked the service. I had a XUV and I never had a single complaint regarding the ASS but it’s entirely a different story with TATA. Period.!
When I bought my car, I asked them if they provide pick and drop service for routines maintenance of the cars and they agreed to it. But they never got my car picked up for the annual service. Also, I always had to wait for a long period when I used to go to pick up my vehicle after service. And this was when I used to call and confirm from the service centre prior to leaving my house whether my car is ready or not. They used to say YES and still had to wait for hours.
Also want to share an incident that happened to me I guess during my 30k service. I had specially told the service manger to rotate my tires and when I went to pick up my car, they had billed me for tire rotation but actually didn’t do it. And I literally gave them HELL for this.

Secondly, the availability of parts. One of my engine mounts went kaput and they took forever to get the part as the part was out of stock when I visited the service Centre to get it replaced. I kept calling them for like month and a half regarding the availability of the part but all I used to hear was sir 3-4 days more. Finally, they came to their senses when I told the store manager that if they can not arrange it, I’ll get the part and if they could replace it. It is then the order was placed because I got a SMS that day that a part has been ordered for my car.
Then right after I got my engine mount replaced my axle boot went kaput and it made a hole of 14k in my pocket. So yes, there are parts availability issues and the prices are on the higher side.
And recently my AC has been acting abnormally and might require some attention to and with the 70k service approaching I was looking at another dent in my pocket. So I have decided to make an upgrade and let my Tiago go to it's next owner. It's up for sale and should be gone in couple of more days.

VERDICT: I would say it’s a nice car and has great potential and it’s a mix of both city and highway cruiser. Long term reliability is something TATA needs to work on and definitely need to improve their ASS. As buying the car is just a couple of hours business but to maintain it is a long-term relationship with the Company. Now in my case if someone asks me will I ever buy a Mahindra vehicle again, I would say “ANYDAY” and if somebody asks me the same question regarding Tata, well this was my first and last purchase. But still, I like the vehicle itself very much but buying another TATA vehicle is not something I would like to do.

Sharing some recent pictures:
Tata Tiago Diesel XZ - Initial Ownership Review-img_20230629_144219.jpg

Tata Tiago Diesel XZ - Initial Ownership Review-img_20230630_105858.jpg

Tata Tiago Diesel XZ - Initial Ownership Review-img_20230630_105915.jpg

Tata Tiago Diesel XZ - Initial Ownership Review-img_20230630_105921.jpg

Tata Tiago Diesel XZ - Initial Ownership Review-img_20230630_110048.jpg

Tata Tiago Diesel XZ - Initial Ownership Review-img_20230630_110208.jpg
Singh09 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 09:02   #22

Hi. You are talking about turbo lag but I'm not sure if Tiago ever had a Turbo Charged engine.
Sheogarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 13:45   #23
BHPian

The 1.0L revotorq with turbo charged common rail diesel was the best version of Tiago. It was torquey, efficient and great to drive. It scored by a huge margin over it's petrol engined siblings where it mattered the most in my opinion.
Old 28th July 2023, 18:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheogarath View Post
Hi. You are talking about turbo lag but I'm not sure if Tiago ever had a Turbo Charged engine.
The lag is very evident in Tiago and if you have to overtake a vehicle on highways you literally have to to floor it and calculate the timing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
The 1.0L revotorq with turbo charged common rail diesel was the best version of Tiago. It was torquey, efficient and great to drive. It scored by a huge margin over it's petrol engined siblings where it mattered the most in my opinion.
+ 1 to that. Diesel version is way better than the Petrol one and it does have that torque but still the lag is clearly visible. Otherwise it's a gem of a car in the given segment.
Old 2nd August 2023, 23:07   #25
BHPian

Regarding your headlamp upgrade, did you use a Philips relay and 100w osram bulbs? Shall I go for the same on my 2021 Tiago without projectors? Do you reckon the clear plastics will remain alright without any yellowing or melting issues?
Old 3rd August 2023, 10:42   #26
BRV
BHPian

I have a question. I also own a Diesel Tiago 2018 manufactured which has run 66500 km

Observed black smoke* when accelerated above 2500 rpm. During the recent service I have asked to clean intercooler, still the issue persists. Checked with diesel from different pumps IOL, BP, HP, MRPL still I can see black smoke. Any probable cause for this ? or how to reduce or control this or is this normal for diesel? PUC is cleared at every renewal

*Not like some Govt. run busses or trucks which emit lot of smoke blinding the vehicles behind
Old 6th August 2023, 10:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post
I have a question. I also own a Diesel Tiago 2018 manufactured which has run 66500 km

Observed black smoke* when accelerated above 2500 rpm. During the recent service I have asked to clean intercooler, still the issue persists. Checked with diesel from different pumps IOL, BP, HP, MRPL still I can see black smoke. Any probable cause for this ? or how to reduce or control this or is this normal for diesel? PUC is cleared at every renewal

*Not like some Govt. run busses or trucks which emit lot of smoke blinding the vehicles behind
On the next service, try an engine shampoo before the oil change and also add a diesel fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank.
You may also try to have the throttle body cleaned, it gunks up with sticky carbon over the years!
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed