Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2017, 21:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Black Mahindra TUV300 T6+ MT : Palio MJD replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Had bookmarked your thread & read it from start to end with a tasty lunch. Congrats on the tank man! You really have a flair for writing - I thoroughly enjoyed your review. Hope she serves you well. Wish you 2+ lakh km of fun, memories & road trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Many congratulations on your new buy, hope it serves you well till 2lakh + km.
Thanks, GTO and behaln, I reached very close to 2 lakh (1.96 lakh) on the Palio. No reason why I shouldn't do so on this one unless Mahindra really disappoints, which I am hoping it won't.

Quote:
Throw that 2.1L MHawk engine under the TUV300's hood and Scorpio sales will fall by 50% overnight. Mahindra knows this and has intentionally kept the TUV300 underpowered.
This is what struck me and I have mentioned it. Except the third row seating and the performance, there is no serious visible compromise over the Scorpio. On the plus side, you get 15-20% more FE, a more manageable urban size and better looking interiors. It helped tilt the decision in the favour of the TUV.

Quote:
P.S. Is waiting period indeed that much of a turn off? I frankly would wait even 4 - 6 months if it was for a car that I really liked. What's 2 months or 4 months when you going to keep the car for 10 years?
Not just waiting period, but many things. I was without a car and we can't ride-hail everywhere. It wastes time and time is one major problem for me over these few months. My boss doesn't drive and relies exclusively on Ola-Uber and his experience has been going steadily bad to worse over the past few months. You can't go to multiple places in a day and reach everywhere on time on cabs. It's not cheap, either.

Also, once the decision to buy diesel was taken, it was either the Old Ecosport or the TUV or the Nexon (since the new Ecosport has the same powertrain as the old one in diesel, it didn't make much sense to get the new one and forgo the huge discounts to us, who were strapped for a budget, anyway).

I think the turning point was the interior space and the 'King of the Road' feeling of the TUV's driving position. Family members and my wife unanimously felt that the Ecosport was just another hatchback (and it is one, on stilts) and so is the Nexon. It didn't help that they weren't cheaper than the TUV.

Lastly, it was not that the Nexon is a Toyota that long-term ownership experience will be far, far better than Mahindra. The Ecosport is better on that count, but only slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
How much did you pay for the HSRP plates?
These are not HSRP. These are plain hot-stamped aluminium plate number plates. They're for Rs 600/- including shipping. Good job, Movell.
architect is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 08:20   #17
BANNED

Re: Napoli Black TUV 300 T6+ MT: Other points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
One thing I have noticed is that if you are rolling in neutral with the engine on (like while inching downward a flyover in a traffic jam and avoiding unnecessary clutch usage) the gear-shift indicator shows '1' instead of 'N' . So is the data coming from the gearbox or from a combination of vehicle speed + RPM?
Congrats on the acquisition Sid and on a very well written thread as well.

The TUV will last you for the next 200k km without any major issues easily, have seen cabs done more than that and chugging along around here.

Coming to your doubt, I think it is the not the gear indicator but the gear "suggestor" which is prompting you to shift to 1st at the speeds you mentioned. Gear data always comes from the gearbox.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 09:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on the acquisition Sid and on a very well written thread as well.

Coming to your doubt, I think it is the not the gear indicator but the gear "suggestor" which is prompting you to shift to 1st at the speeds you mentioned. Gear data always comes from the gearbox.
Thanks. I was wondering if you'd read this and what you had to say: knowing your experience and knowledge of Mahindras.

It is not the suggestor, I am sure, since the Bolt I drive has the suggestor which shows the current gear and suggests up shifting or down shifting with an arrow. This is an indicator that simply tells you the current gear. I suggest you try it out in the Scorpio or TUV MT and see for yourself.
Old 24th December 2017, 10:11   #19
BHPian

Beautifully written. I couldn't resist the temptation to read it the moment i saw the thread (I was fully occupied with something else when I glanced quickly over our website). Congrats on your new purchase. Hope 'The Tank' serves you well and gives you a bunch of memories for then next 10 years.

I am hopping on to your Palio thread now.
twin_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 17:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
These are not HSRP. These are plain hot-stamped aluminium plate number plates. They're for Rs 600/- including shipping. Good job, Movell.
Congratulations and wish you a great journey with your new car. It is a sensible no nonsense purchase and one that you will enjoy immensely.

PS where did you get these for 600 as the website shows 849, thanks.
Old 24th December 2017, 17:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I was wondering if you'd read this and what you had to say: knowing your experience and knowledge of Mahindras.

It is not the suggestor, I am sure, since the Bolt I drive has the suggestor which shows the current gear and suggests up shifting or down shifting with an arrow. This is an indicator that simply tells you the current gear. I suggest you try it out in the Scorpio or TUV MT and see for yourself.
Wish you long and happy ownership of the tank and may the journey be filled with fun and exciting miles.

As for the gear indicator, I too observed that. It displays '1' even if vehicle is neutral and is moving. If it is near standstill, then display changes to N. I believe the data comes from gear box but just that, logic has some 'bugs built into it'
Old 24th December 2017, 21:49   #22
BHPian

Since Ghaziabad and all of UP don't issue HSRP, I ordered Movell License plates from Thrissur in Speedex font. Arrived in 72 hours flat, and quality is excellent for the price. Frame is included.
Attachment 1708532[/quote]

Interesting registration number

UP 14 DL

Flavor of both UP and DL
Old 24th December 2017, 23:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin_turbo View Post
Beautifully written. I couldn't resist the temptation to read it the moment i saw the thread (I was fully occupied with something else when I glanced quickly over our website). Congrats on your new purchase.
Thanks. I am not that great a writer, and there are at least three typos which missed my eye while editing. The Palio thread is very long. It is eight years of experiences and discussions. Of course, it is perhaps one of the longest (but not the most comprehensive) threads on the Palio, especially the MJD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Congratulations and wish you a great journey with your new car. It is a sensible no nonsense purchase and one that you will enjoy immensely.
The difficulty is that we want everything. So making a choice is difficult.

That said, let's not kid ourselves that this is a refined personal car. It is a utility vehicle, and from that perspective, it is a good choice. It falls out of the radar for urban buyers due to their need for performance and for rural buyers because the Bolero exists. It is somewhere in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
PS where did you get these for 600 as the website shows 849, thanks.
I looked up their website, spoke to customer care, paid online the amount they mentioned, and I got it shipped to myself. I don't know anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Wish you long and happy ownership of the tank and may the journey be filled with fun and exciting miles.

As for the gear indicator, I too observed that. It displays '1' even if vehicle is neutral and is moving. If it is near standstill, then display changes to N. I believe the data comes from gear box but just that, logic has some 'bugs built into it'
I was wondering that maybe it is not the gearbox but the combination of vehicle speed + engine RPM that is telling you the gear you are in. Why? Because sensors and data for both are already functional all the time. Then why add more sensors in gearboxes, especially an MT? As an engineer, I would have used this logic.

Edit: Congrats on taking delivery of the TUV T8 (hope you picked up the mHawk100, instead of 80 like me). It would be good to compare notes on the performance difference between the two as we go along, since the two TUVs are the same vintage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Interesting registration number:
UP 14 DL
Flavor of both UP and DL
Yes, other people have said the same thing.

Last edited by architect : 24th December 2017 at 23:08.
Old 25th December 2017, 13:55   #24
BHPian

Congratulations. Nice pictures. I love the stance of TUV300. Like many of us, you have also gone through detailed scientific analysis and finally went for what your heart said and prssure of the situation demanded. . I went through the entire script and enjoyed the way it was presented. Laughed a few times. All the very best. Keep posting.
Old 25th December 2017, 20:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Then, there was the usual round of madness which every car buyer in NCR is going through: diesel or not. The fact that the PM2.5 emission levels on BS-IV were far lesser than my current BS-III car assuaged my personal guilt, if only by a little bit. I can say my own industry (construction) is the biggest source of pollution in NCR, closely followed by diesel vehicles, though perhaps not so much the BS IV ones. Finally, we decided to buy a diesel, after a lot of calculation and also looking at BSIV PM figures in comparison to BSIII.
From the bottom of my heart I sincerely commend you for taking this into your decision parameters! I can only hope that more people begin to think like you when they consider a new vehicle purchase. Collective consciousness is the only hope for many of our cities as we face the growth and infra challenges of the coming years.
Old 25th December 2017, 22:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Got 15.04 km/l on my third tankful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
From the bottom of my heart I sincerely commend you for taking this into your decision parameters! I can only hope that more people begin to think like you when they consider a new vehicle purchase. Collective consciousness is the only hope for many of our cities as we face the growth and infra challenges of the coming years.
The problem of air pollution cannot be solved by one person or by knee-jerk reactions, either. Cars have become a necessity because cities are badly structured, and it is always easier to make roads and sell cars than to make a robust public transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Like many of us, you have also gone through detailed scientific analysis and finally went for what your heart said and pressure of the situation demanded. .
Thanks. One tries to take the best decision one can.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 00:29   #27
BHPian

Well written post! It was a pleasure to read.

Firstly, congratulations on the new car. As someone who owns a Xylo, I feel that most people who buy a Mahindra, in spite of knowing all about the problems and niggles, make the decision with their heart. Though, one thing I can vouch for is the Mahindra engines. 2,00,000kms should definitely not be a problem. There are plenty of Mahindra cabs that have crossed that mark.

The TUV300 is definitely one of the better-looking cars from the Mahindra stable. There is something very raw about the boxy design.

I hope she serves you well. Keep updating the thread.
Old 26th December 2017, 10:02   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Tank and very well written thread!
If I may make a suggestion, go for 5 year 3M Underbody treatment. It comes with sound deadening and it really works very well. I have seen great result in my Scorpio's cabin post the treatment.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 12:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Congratulations on your new Tank and very well written thread!
If I may make a suggestion, go for 5 year 3M Underbody treatment. It comes with sound deadening and it really works very well. I have seen great result in my Scorpio's cabin post the treatment.
That is a good suggestion. I did it when I purchased Honda city in 2014. I think they also provide free underbody checks once in six months to ensure all is well..
Old 27th December 2017, 15:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
Well written post! It was a pleasure to read.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
As someone who owns a Xylo, I feel that most people who buy a Mahindra, in spite of knowing all about the problems and niggles, make the decision with their heart.
Though there are mechanical and electrical niggles, they are fairly robust vehicles. Also, besides Tata, who makes private vehicles in India that are suitable for rough conditions, and at this price point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
If I may make a suggestion, go for 5 year 3M Underbody treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
That is a good suggestion. .
I have got LiquiMoly Anti-Corrosion (Anti-rust) treatment done to the underbody.

Also got a teflon coating done. Of course, the verdict is still out on whether (a) Teflon coating is eyewash and merely a glorified polish (b) It actually doesn't damage the clear coat and (c) Wax polish is a better idea.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks