Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2017, 13:55   #61
BHPian

re: S-Cross'd : My 2017 Maruti S-Cross 1.3L Facelift. EDIT: Sold!

Dear Laluks,
Which dash camera you are using in your S Cross?
Does the camera cover the dash board area (top) also and if so, what is the effect of reflection.
And by the by, where did you stay at Meghamalai, is there any details that can be shared?
Old 3rd December 2017, 14:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congrats Lalu. An excellent ownership report in such quick time. Your writing is as fast as your purchase process.

Wish you many miles of happiness and joy.
Thanks a lot Rajeevraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm honoured! But only suggested it because you were telling it like that so well already
Thanks Thad. I was happily discussing the scene with you guys oblivious of the same. And then, when you pointed out it struck a chord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Congratulations Lalu on the new S-Cross acquisition.

Wishing you miles of safe and enjoyable drives with smiles

I'd suggested you do some TDs on hilly roads/inclines in and around Bangalore but you being a pure petrolhead (now dieselhead ?) did a real world test with a drive to Kodaikanal & Meghamalai

After years of Swifted and Civved travelogues, we now look forward to SCross'd travelogues on the forum.
Thanks Narayan. After all the confusing statements, I wanted to put all of them to rest by a test. What else could I have done.

Now will bore you guys with SCross'd travelogues.

Quote:
As will be the low-revs diesel torque, climbing those hills
Yes, Yes, Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
A bit late to the party but I had been following your dilemma all through out
Congratulations on your white S-Cross and Kungfu Panda seems to be a very apt name. I recently drove an S-Cross 1.3 for quite a bit of distance both on and off the road and was impressed. Last year I drove the 1.6 and was bowled over. The 1.3 does not have the same addictive punch, but it is no slouch. The best part is that the build quality does not feel like a Maruti. Wish you many miles of happiness!
Thanks BlackPearl. Kungfu Panda indeed is no slouch. He goes on doing his work beautifully, without any hiccups.

Quote:
Heaps better than Dead Butterfly!
I never thought Dead Butterfly remark will trigger so much of emotions
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 16:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
Hearty Congratulations Lauks Sir, you've got yourself a very practical crossover based on the priorities listed down by your loved ones.
A very well written report that will be of immense help to all prospective buyers. Here's wishing you miles of happiness and peace of mind with the Kung fu Panda

Rated a well deserved 5 stars.
Thanks Keynote

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Congratulations laluks. Wishing you many happy miles with the car. The savings, when compared to a petrol sedan, will be huge.
Indeed, I am seeing the same for the past 1 month. Till 3K Kms I am inferring half the costs for fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Congratulations for the new car, Laluks

Nice write up complemented with great pictures. Looks great in White.

Initially I hated the looks of the S-Cross (Especially the grill). But now it has really grown on me! It really look good in flesh than in pictures.

Also good to know that the 1.3 national engine is more than adequate for normal use.

Have a wonderful ownership
Thanks Asish. The car works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoon9999 View Post
Heartiest congratulations Laluks on getting S-crossed, loved every bit of your log. No wonder, why this log is rated with 5 stars.
Thanks varoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by N33raj View Post
First off, congratulations Lalu on this lovely acquisition! Hope to read about your adventures with the Kungfu Panda in the days to come!
I have a question and i m afraid it will require you to do a bit of photography. I see that you have the LED headlight system in your car. I have seen them in action in the night but on a clear night with no oncoming traffic. I would like to know three things:
1. How effective are they in low/high beam on a four lane motorway with oncoming traffic, street lighting and other ambient light spill?
2. How effective are they in rains and fog? As good as halogens? Close enough? Require aux lighting?
3. With cities in India switching over to efficient LED street lighting, are the headlights effective? I have seen these street lights in the rain and no, they are rubbish. They simply make the rain drops brighten on my windshield and give off nothing for the blacktop.
Thanks Neeraj.
1. Good, could be better
2. Rains - felt aux lighting could have helped. Fog - No experience yet, but being white I expect it would not be that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthc View Post
Congratulations Sir. Great review and rated 5 stars.

Scross is a good car but the tiny 1.3L engine does not do justice to such a heavy car. You will definitely feel under-powered in highways and loses it steam after 100kmph. To solve this, many of us have opted for the remaps which does help the matter a lot. I guess you may try this option if need be ( am sure you will knowing your passion for driving)

One of the minor irritant in our cars ( previous gen sc) is the jerkiness in the windows when we close or open it. Is it still a problem or MS has solved it?
Thanks Ananth.
For my use and style 1.3L is perfect. I have not yet felt it under powered. I do not know if the gearing ratios are changed in the facelift. This needs to be researched. I have tested the car far higher than 100s, and I must say it really did surprise me.

I will not be going in for a remap.

Regarding the windows I have not noticed it. But since you asked I did a test. Yes there is a starting trouble or resistance. But once it starts moving its all fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
First of all Congrats Lalu & welcome to SCross family

Well, 1.6 doesn't allow you to stunt; the brakes & tires needs a serious upgrade to do that.

Best part of 1.6 is that, the engine doesn't care no matter you've 5 ppl + luggage or just solo, it just does what it is supposed to do...DELIVER monstrous torque.

Good luck for a long term happy ownership & once again welcome to SCross family
Thanks aargee. 1.6 is not my use case. I don't need that.

Current 1.3 has decent brakes and good tyres. JK UxRoyals are good. I have tested for high speeds, rain runs and rough roads. All well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Congratulations Lalluji
I peep into your threads just for pleasing my eyes on your wonderful images. You inspire anyone to 'get out and explore' places. I am trying my best to get away from the city whenever I can, but kid's school, exams and wife's never ending sword fights with them freezes my brain from most exotic drives. Hoping things will be easier when they are in the high school age.

My neighbour got the S-Cross blue variant last week, he was proudly showing me all the features, it looks stunning, I love the front grill. I think they took half of my grill and expanded it !

Wishing you another lakh and half miles of joy and pleasure on this beauty
Thanks Shaju. You need to take your capable rocket on long trips .
Yes SCross have taken a part of your grill and made some funky design

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuniswami View Post
Dear Laluks,
Your review about S Cross is a well calibrated one and very admiringly projected. Even, those who have had negative opinion about the car were made to re think about it after reading this report. Thanks.
Thanks muniswami. SCross is an underdog. Either you like it or you hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Congrats Laluks. Wishing you many happy miles.

And nice to see the typical Laluks style write-up back again in T-bhp

You took the poor thing to Meghamalai Baptism by fire!
Thanks mallumowgli.

After all the negativity that was around, I wanted to know for myself whether the car is a mistake as portrayed. It had to undergo Baptism by fire.

As we say in mallu "Theeyil kuruthathu Veyilathu Vadilla" (That which is born in fire will not wilt away in sun)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Congratulations Sir. Your review is very detailed and captures the very fine points of the value of this car. It must be owned and used for a while before the true value of the car can be realized.

I went through the same situation, even from strangers. Met a colleague from office in the elevator who heard about my S-cross purchase and during the conversation two strangers asked me - You moved from a Honda (city) to Maruti? Why? I was quite startled

The fuel tank reading doesn't seem to change for a really long time, eh?

I believe the 2000-3200 RPM range is where the sweet spot is. Third gear is incredible as you say but I found the overtaking a bit tricky on single laned highways.
Thanks Sudeep. The mileage part is making me laugh like crazy.
2100 to 3600 I could play the car. 3200 to 3600, even up to 4100 is tricky in 5th gear.

In third usable values are available all the way upto 4K. Overtaking was comfortable in all the scenarios i had. Especially the Namakkal Trichy section, winding single lane narrow road, it was a breeze.

I am getting a doubt wrto gear ratios. We must try and find out if there wewre changes or tweaks, my experience is slightly different. Dont know if its beacuse I came from a free revving Civic and is playing SCross's free revving mentality and it works to my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Congratulations laluks!!

A very well described, unbiased and visual treat of a review!

My experience was similar to that of other owners - colleagues and relatives were in disbelief that I shelled out well over 12 lakh rupees to acquire a Maruti, powered by the very same engine that does duty on the puny Ritz.

As one of the early owners of the DDiS 200 avatar of the pre-facelift S-Cross, I agree that understanding the capability and performance of the car helps rather than getting lost with the numbers on paper.

The 1.3 on the S-Cross is definitely no rocket, but neither is it an average joe!

Happy mile crunching! Drive safe!
Thanks pannags.
SCross's use case is not to be a fast car, but my tests have shown it can also be in the hands of a good driver. And it definitely pulls its own weight and additional 600 to 700Kg of weight with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Great review laluks! Congratulations
The S-cross is probably the best built car ever from the Suzuki stable.

The 1.3 Multijet is a great diesel engine and highly reliable. I had the pleasure of driving the FGT (fixed geometry turbocharger) 75bhp version of the engine in the Ritz for 4.5 years and it was absolute pleasure to drive.

Wishing you many happy miles on the S-cross!
Thanks bhpfaninblr

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuniswami View Post
Dear Laluks,
Which dash camera you are using in your S Cross?
Does the camera cover the dash board area (top) also and if so, what is the effect of reflection.
And by the by, where did you stay at Meghamalai, is there any details that can be shared?
That was not a dashcam in the intro picture. It is the older generation GoPro (Hero 3+black).

You can adjust the camera to take only a bit of the bonnet or even include the dash. SCross dash is very reflective and glossy and the windscreen is messy on a sunny day. Will have to find out a solution.

Meghamalai, stay possibilities are Panchayat Guest House (1000 Rs+) or Briar bungalows (2500 to 5500). Food will be extra. Please wait, a travelogue is in the works.
laluks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 17:30   #64
BHPian

Congrats on KUNGFU PANDA. Wishing you lots of miles in your new car. A very detailed write up. Perfect for the S Cross wanabees.

Nice choise of the registration number as well.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Lalu on getting S' Crossed :-). So does this mean Civvy will not be used much ? Also 8kmpl from the Civic hmmm seems like someone has plenty of fun with the Civic. I think this is a good choice but the HRV was coming up soon next year and would have been available with the diesel engine. But enough of Honda's. I think the SCross is a good practical performer especially with this engine if one was not to expect earth shattering performance. I have seen it in person and it has the best build quality in the Maruti stable. Enjoy the double digit fuel efficiency nos. We hope to see another 100k kms worth of travelogues from you in the next few years.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 12:25   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Congrats on KUNGFU PANDA. Wishing you lots of miles in your new car. A very detailed write up. Perfect for the S Cross wanabees.

Nice choise of the registration number as well.
Thanks behaln.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Congrats Lalu on getting S' Crossed :-). So does this mean Civvy will not be used much ? Also 8kmpl from the Civic hmmm seems like someone has plenty of fun with the Civic. I think this is a good choice but the HRV was coming up soon next year and would have been available with the diesel engine. But enough of Honda's. I think the SCross is a good practical performer especially with this engine if one was not to expect earth shattering performance. I have seen it in person and it has the best build quality in the Maruti stable. Enjoy the double digit fuel efficiency nos. We hope to see another 100k kms worth of travelogues from you in the next few years.
Civvy will see some runs for sure.

After seeing what Honda had to offer as on date across segments in India, and seeing the pictures of new Civic, I thought I will move on from Honda for the time being. HRV also, not at price points similar to Creta or above.

SCross goes about doing its work with out much fan fare. That's the beauty about it. Power and performance are for bragging rights and fun, and not an absolute necessity. I can say that clearly after 11 years of Civic . Indian roads cannot handle that at this time or for a foreseeable future.
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 16:57   #67
BHPian

Congratulations on your S-Cross. It looks awesome in White. While people may have differed opinions on the front grill, I somehow like it, probably with a little bit less chrome wrap around would have been even better. A very good spacious car. Have a good time with it.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 17:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations !!!

This brought back my memories from exactly two years ago (31 Oct 2015). Most of the negatives you've mentioned, are something you will get used to and IMO, they are really not deal breakers.

I actually like the looks of your new gen SCross compared to mine from the first batch. Especially, the front looks much much better. The mileage will go up substantially. For me, it has settled around 17-18 kmpl in Pune's horrible traffic and around 22-23 kmpl on highways with <= 100 kmph speeds.

Wishing you best time with the ride!
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 18:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Congratulations on your S-Cross. It looks awesome in White. While people may have differed opinions on the front grill, I somehow like it, probably with a little bit less chrome wrap around would have been even better. A very good spacious car. Have a good time with it.

Swami
Thanks swami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Congratulations !!!

This brought back my memories from exactly two years ago (31 Oct 2015). Most of the negatives you've mentioned, are something you will get used to and IMO, they are really not deal breakers.

I actually like the looks of your new gen SCross compared to mine from the first batch. Especially, the front looks much much better. The mileage will go up substantially. For me, it has settled around 17-18 kmpl in Pune's horrible traffic and around 22-23 kmpl on highways with <= 100 kmph speeds.

Wishing you best time with the ride!
Thanks ajay.
In the last run mileage went up to 19+ , with very spirited 650Km run, overall mileage at 16.5 till date.

I always think I will check city mileage, but always end up stretching some 500Km highway runs
Old 4th December 2017, 22:48   #70
BHPian

Awesome review! I'm convinced on the car.

Just need an auto. If it were available, it would be in my garage to replace my City as of yesterday.

C'mon Maruti! Sorry, Suzuki
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 07:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I just chanced to see this from the Automatic Climate Control Unit.

Inside LCD units visible
S-Cross'd : My 2017 Maruti S-Cross 1.3L Facelift. EDIT: Sold!-img_20171128_093208.jpg

In the beginning when the sunlight played on the unit, i thought something was not right. Later I realized that the inner stuff gets revealed. Though not a problem, it looks very funny. A back lit device in Civic prevented such issues, and the back-light was allowed to be changed to the ambient lighting intensity I chose. Hope this gets into their list for the next releases.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 19:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

I received my Nexa card a few days ago. It was that compulsory stuff added to the car purchase by Maruti. Given a choice I would have said no to

1. The compulsory accessories thrust on to us for some 10K
2. The Nexa Card for some 1.5K

Now that it was forced, I get the Nexa card.

I tried registering online at https://www.nexaexperience.com. Username password all done.

I am now figuring out how to check whats the reward points in the card, how to link the card to my account, and to link my car to my card.

Clueless

Regarding the Nexa App, nothing said the better

Last edited by laluks : 11th December 2017 at 19:09.
laluks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 21:14   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing except the Ex-Showroom cost is mandatory as far as dealerships are concerned. It's purely unethical on dealer's part to force the accessories and the card to you.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 22:42   #74
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2017 at 00:35.
bhpfaninblr is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th December 2017, 23:08   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I received my Nexa card a few days ago. It was that compulsory stuff added to the car purchase by Maruti. Given a choice I would have said no to

1. The compulsory accessories thrust on to us for some 10K
2. The Nexa Card for some 1.5K

Now that it was forced, I get the Nexa card.
The accessories and the Nexa card are not mandatory to buy.

I had rejected the Nexa card and had selected only a couple of accessories(got a 10% discount on them) from the official list. The on-road price was adjusted accordingly.
satan's_valet is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks