Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2017, 19:11   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Video: Driving the Alfa Romeo Stelvio in Austria!

Likes;

- Looks
- Engine Performance
- Steering & Handling

Dislikes;

- Refinement, Cabin Noise
- No Paddle Shifters
- No 6 cyl Diesel option

Few weeks back i was in Austria driving the all new Alfa Romeo Stelvio. This is Alfa Romeo's 1st SUV & what an attempt at making one, it truly is a proper Alfa to the very core. I am driving the 2.2 Diesel version & review it on engine performance, handling & the Alfa Experience

Video: Driving the Alfa Romeo Stelvio in Austria!-screen-shot-20171217-6.55.02-pm.png

Other Points;

​- ​The 2.2L Diesel is from the FCA's Multijet diesel family.
- Being a 2.2L 4cyl diesel it still makes aprox 207hp & 470 nm torque.
- Gearbox is yet again sourced from ZF & its a 8 speed unit. 6 speed manual is also offered as an option.
- This engine is well suited to the Stelvio SUV as it has ample torque on tap to make it perform like a sports SUV, for example the 0-100 timing is 6.6 seconds which is almost equal to the 6 cyl diesel Macan. But the engine does feel stressed doing such runs & a major downside of this engine is refinement as it does get noisy v/s the German diesels.
- The Stelvio SUV is based on the Giorgio platform of the Giulia, which everyone really loved & similarly so this SUV shares a lot of hardware with its sedan sibling.
- Steering is an EPS but is well tuned to not feel like one.
​- The body roll is tightly controlled in the corners & the Alfa-Link suspension is doing a good job but special mention goes to the weight as this Alfa weighs in just around 1600 kgs, when compared to the equivalent 4cyl competitor the BMW X3 or Audi Q5 it still is lighter by around 100kgs​.
- The AWD system of the Alfa is known as the Q4, though it is rear biased it does send upto 50% of power to its front wheels in tricky situations. ​​
​- Stelvio also gets the DNA (Dynamic, Natural & Advanced Efficiency) system which are various driving modes which adjust the car's throttle response & steering according to your needs.​
​- The performance version, Quadrifoglio Stelvio has clocked the fastest time for an SUV at the Nurburgring. ​

Final Word;

Looking at the recent activity FCA India has shown with introduction of brands like Maserati, Abarth & Jeep you never know one day we might see them selling Alfa Romeo too in India
For that they would indeed need to price it correctly, though Alfa Romeo is a relevant brand for enthusiasts like us but India may take time to accept this brand.
However to summarise things, the Stelvio is the perfect crossover pretending to be an SUV which takes very little of the sedan like driving experience away but still manages to be very practical.
This is one Alfa one would buy with the consent of both the heart & head.

​PS - ​I had the Stelvio with me for 7 days, the video & my observations are based on city driving as well as driving across various cities and small towns through Austria. ​​

Last edited by karan561 : 17th December 2017 at 19:21.
karan561 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 11:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Video: Driving the Alfa Romeo Stelvio in Austria!

Nice review Karan, keep it up. Nice to see you review cars we otherwise would have not come across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
However to summarise things, the Stelvio is the perfect crossover pretending to be an SUV which takes very little of the sedan like driving experience away but still manages to be very practical.
This is one Alfa one would buy with the consent of both the heart & head.
This is quite a nice thing about the car. Not all SUVs / Crossovers can be fun to drive. Looks like the Stelvio is the right balance between practicality and driving fun. However, the big question still remain unanswered - can it pull customers away from the German?

Given the SUV craze of our county, if launched at a competitive price, I'm sure there will be some takers for this. Like you mentioned, in a sea of the Germans, it will stand out.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 21:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Nice review Karan, keep it up. Nice to see you review cars we otherwise would have not come across.
Thanks blackwasp for your motivating comment

Quote:
Given the SUV craze of our county, if launched at a competitive price, I'm sure there will be some takers for this.
Technically this should be priced around 55-60L ex-showroom to get noticed in the Indian market.

Quote:
Like you mentioned, in a sea of the Germans, it will stand out.
^ Exactly
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 13:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Looking at the recent activity FCA India has shown with introduction of brands like Maserati, Abarth & Jeep you never know one day we might see them selling Alfa Romeo too in India
​​
This was exactly on my mind while I was watching the great review.

These Multijet diesels are slowly penetrating all segments. First the 1.3, then the 1.6 (though it didn't actually take off as intended, but it's a gem) & the 2.0 in the Compass.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th December 2017 at 23:04. Reason: Corrected typos
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 14:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Nice review Karan!

Alfa Romeo is getting its mojo back; couple of models after the 159 – Mito, Giulietta etc. felt more of a re-branded Fiat.
With the 4C, Giulia, and now Stelvio it looks like they are on the right track. Recently saw a Giulia on display and it easily is the best looking car in its segment.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 22:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
This was exactly on my mind while I was watching the great review.
Thanks Venkat

Quote:
These multijet diesels are slowly penetrating all segments. First the 1.3, then the 1.6 (though it din't actually take off as intended, but it's a jem) & the 2.0 in the Compass.
To be honest i haven't driven the Compass diesel yet but i am looking forward to test drive one soon i.e. once the Diesel A/T is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Nice review Karan!
Quote:
Alfa Romeo is getting its mojo back; couple of models after the 159 – Mito, Giulietta etc. felt more of a re-branded Fiat.
With the 4C, Giulia, and now Stelvio it looks like they are on the right track. Recently saw a Giulia on display and it easily is the best looking car in its segment.
As i mention in the video the Stelvio is based on the same "Giorgio" platform which underpins the Giulia this was majorly responsible for turning tables for Alfa (other than the design off course).
It is rumoured that this very platform will underpin the next gen Dodge Charger, Challenger, Chrysler 300c & some other FCA products
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 12:36   #7

As usual, it was a very good video review Karan :thumbs up
FCA hit Gold with Jeep Compass in India, with what could be called a thoroughly deserved, yet uncharacteristic marketing from them. Having a Fiat Linea, I know a thing or two about going through immensely popular smokescreens, before being selected by a true thing of beauty which wasn't being helped really by almost zero advertising. Yes, I believe that Fiat cars choose you and it's seldom otherwise - whichever the case, it's an affair of heart for life. I only hope that the rigour they've shown with Jeep doesn't make them myopic. Fiat have always had case studies here showcasing the ills of poor marketing. I feel it is now time for FCA to roll up their sleeves and seriously look at getting at least the Alfas to our shores. So far they've been the cars we needed, but maybe didn’t deserve. But now we deserve all things good, more than ever. Having said that, the Dark Knight vanished in thin air lol:
BecoMagicSenna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecoMagicSenna View Post
As usual, it was a very good video review Karan
Thank you for the compliments & congratulations as this is your 1st post on TEAM-BHP

Quote:
FCA hit Gold with Jeep Compass in India, with what could be called a thoroughly deserved, yet uncharacteristic marketing from them. Having a Fiat Linea, I know a thing or two about going through immensely popular smokescreens, before being selected by a true thing of beauty which wasn't being helped really by almost zero advertising. Yes, I believe that Fiat cars choose you and it's seldom otherwise - whichever the case, it's an affair of heart for life. I only hope that the rigour they've shown with Jeep doesn't make them myopic
Very well said, i agree.

Quote:
I feel it is now time for FCA to roll up their sleeves and seriously look at getting at least the Alfas to our shores. So far they've been the cars we needed, but maybe didn’t deserve. But now we deserve all things good, more than ever. Having said that, the Dark Knight vanished in thin air
^
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 10:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Excellent.
Hope to see a few Stelvio's on road, once i am back down under.
I am not surprised at your complaints about refinement.

I picked up a 159 earlier this year.
2.4 diesel with 210Bhp and 400NM of torque was right at the top of my purchase list.
However one test drive changed everything, and i picked up a Petrol and have been happier ever since.
The engine was so gruffy and noisy, that my Mahindra Thar Crde's engine, felt like Hyundai i20 Crdi in comparsion

Last edited by akshay4587 : 23rd December 2017 at 10:38.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks