Team-BHP - Ford Ecosport 1.5L Diesel Titanium (Facelift) - The machine I love
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Ford Ecosport 1.5L Diesel Titanium (Facelift) - The machine I love (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/194185-ford-ecosport-1-5l-diesel-titanium-facelift-machine-i-love-2.html)

Congratulations on the new car, Jude!

And thank you for putting together a wonderful review of the 1.5 TDCI! Always better to have an updated review like this along with a new launch. Rating a well deserved 5 stars.

Sorry if I missed the pricing part in your posts, can you share how much it cost you on-road?

Drive Safe,
R-Six

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4340539)

I would also love to know more on the FE front since this is 100 BHP. The one we drove to Mumbai ended up with 13.6 on the MID at the end of 965 Run after reset. But our speeds were mostly 120 KMPH all the times and then I checked with Viddy who confirmed that this is what one can expect out of the Ecosport.

I own the old ecosport diesel and in all my highway drives, i have got a consistent FE of 13.6 on MID when driven at 120kmph most of the time. Not 11,12,14 or 15. agree:

Congratulations and what a beautiful review. Pure learning for me how to write a ownership report. Your report has come in right time. I was in dilemma to decide my next diesel car between WRV, Nexon and EcoSport. Your report has helped me to decide. I am going straight to ford showroom tommorow. You answered all my doubts and I am clear now.

Thank you all for the wishes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4340392)
One question though- prior to 1750 RPM, i.e. before the turbo kicks in, what is the drivability like and is there significant turbo lag?

I echo Arun and it's hard to FEEL a turbo lag in the diesel even below 1750rpm. But if you are expecting a swift response to your accelerator input, you might not get it in any rpm for that matter as this has a more linear power delivery and does not react with a sudden rush. In a nutshell, you don't have to be bothered by any lag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 4340434)
The only time you have to rev it is when you're starting from standstill on a steep slope. All the other times it feels extremely natural to drive.

I own an EcoBoost, and having driven both, I started advising people to look at the diesel, as that is an all-rounder everywhere - in the city, highway, etc.

Nice point there; you need the initial push on the A pedal to get it moving on the incline.

The ecoboost is definitely the most fun to drive out on the highway but it's not suited for Indian traffic conditions especially the bumper to bumper ones. Way back in 2013 I first booked the ecoboost Titanium and later opted for Diesel Trend variant as my cost sheet preferred a diesel for my usage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 (Post 4340437)
Congratulations on your upgrade, Wish you many happy miles.

I would also like to thank you for the noodle mat video.
I am confused if i should get a ready made one for 1500 or make it myself.

Your welcome. Don't think too much if you can get it done for ₹1500. Go ahead and buy it unless you feel excited about trying it yourself. There things that I feel excited about doing and I do it even if the results are not going to be as precise as that of an expert. Did some carpentry DIYs and still working on some. They never were perfect but I like doing it so I do it. There are some silly easy things that I can do but which I don't prefer doing which I get someone else to do for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4340539)
Would love to drive around the 100 BHP avatar soon and compare that to my earlier experiences.

I would also love to know more on the FE front since this is 100 BHP. The one we drove to Mumbai ended up with 13.6 on the MID at the end of 965 Run after reset. But our speeds were mostly 120 KMPH all the times and then I checked with Viddy who confirmed that this is what one can expect out of the Ecosport.

I normally don't go by MID reading and prefer to do tank fill method. But 13.6 kmpl is too low a number for a highway drive.

The 100 BHP tune just adds a little more power in the lower band. Haven't crossed 90kmph yet and hence can't comment on higher speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururajrv (Post 4340611)

I always have a leaning towards the Diesel engines for its torquey nature and the Ecosport has it in abundance though a bit pricey but justified by the features it possesses now.

Very neatly written down review which is at par with the official ones out here on the forum.

Rated *****

You should try the new Petrol AT. It definitely is a performer too. For people like me who drive with a light foot, it's too good. But since it was way above my budget didn't think of it.

Thanks for your comment on the review. I get inspired by the official reviews which just get better with each new review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Six (Post 4340722)

Sorry if I missed the pricing part in your posts, can you share how much it cost you on-road?

Drive Safe,
R-Six

You didn't miss it. I just didn't have it put on the review. It costed me around 11.15 lakhs OTR. Ex showroom- 9.86 lakhs, registration 1.04 lakhs, HDFC ERGO insurance - 25k. Didn't opt for any accessories not the extended warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAND23 (Post 4340839)
Congratulations and what a beautiful review. Pure learning for me how to write a ownership report. Your report has come in right time. I was in dilemma to decide my next diesel car between WRV, Nexon and EcoSport. Your report has helped me to decide. I am going straight to ford showroom tommorow. You answered all my doubts and I am clear now.

Happy to hear that buddy. Please do a good test drive before booking. Note down what you want to check and tick them off. Will give you more confidence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jude300 (Post 4340947)
I normally don't go by MID reading and prefer to do tank fill method. But 13.6 kmpl is too low a number for a highway drive.

Not me or most of us here do! I was only saying what MID displayed after a reset and for a sample of 1000 kms of highway run. Even otherwise, MID is still an approximate reflection of real world figures if not accurate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4340958)
Not me or most of us here do! I was only saying what MID displayed after a reset and for a sample of 1000 kms of highway run. Even otherwise, MID is still an approximate reflection of real world figures if not accurate.

Yes, the MID numbers are usually close to real life numbers. Was just a bit shocked to see the mileage.

This is what I saw in my MID a few days back. Now it's 16.4kmpl.

Ford Ecosport 1.5L Diesel Titanium (Facelift) - The machine I love-img_20180118_091348.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jude300 (Post 4340947)
It costed me around 11.15 lakhs OTR. Ex showroom- 9.86 lakhs, registration 1.04 lakhs, HDFC ERGO insurance - 25k.

Thanks again, Jude!

Even though we can't call it VFM, 11.15 for Titanium on road seems to be a very good price to pay for it. If I were to upgrade my ride, this is going to be the one I would choose without a second thought.

It is also motivating to hear about the hassle-free and pocket-friendly maintenance costs you mentioned about your first ecosport.

Congratulations Jude on your new ride! I am in the same boat and looking for new ride to be driven 80kms/day for office commute and occasional weekend getaways. I have shortlisted ES Titanium, Nexon XZ+ and Verna diesel AT. I wanted to understand from you the reasons you had for not going with Nexon. Did you TD the Nexon or were you so much satisfied with ES that turned your decision towards ES? Verna diesel AT is in my consideration only because of high running.

That's an excellent review Jude. You have captured the details and changes with respect to the old model in the best possible way. I am on the same boat when my ecosport reaches a respectable age, I will most probably replace it with Ecosport itself. This is because of the exceptional after sales support and pocket-friendly service bills as well as the practicality and fun this vehicle offers.

On a side note can you comment on the changed feel of the gearbox ? Is it smooth now, like a hyundai or does it still has those long throws.

For other comments regarding mileage, Jude has achieved an exceptional figure in his last car. With a light foot in Delhi NCR traffic I get a mileage of 16 and with a heavy foot, it sometimes reaches as low as 12 as well. Ono highway, I have achieved between 16-22 depending upon the average speeds.

Wishing you countless happy miles on it.

Awesome review Jude, congrats on your new ES and wish you many pleasurable years of fun with her.

I too have booked a Moondust Silver Titanium+ Petrol AT, delivery is expected mid-Feb 2018. The wait is becoming hard, even though we have 2 other cars in the stable.

Will surely post an ownership thread on the car

One of the best ownership reports I have read in team-Bhp so far! Thanks a bunch Jude.

It is like an optimum balance between text and pictures.

I had one question. You wrote that Ford has heard most of the customer feedback and has done the changes. But one thing I always felt was that the tail-gate opens on the wrong side. I wonder if enough owners did not point it out or Ford chose not to do it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt (Post 4341224)
I wanted to understand from you the reasons you had for not going with Nexon. Did you TD the Nexon or were you so much satisfied with ES that turned your decision towards ES?

Nexon is a great product from Tata and I came home mighty impressed after the test drive. However, the following were considered in making my decision to go with the Ecosport which might not apply to all. Barring the personal preferences the Nexon is a league of its own and makes decision making tough for many.

1. The heart of the machine; one big factor to swing my decision towards the Ecosport. The engine on the Ecosport is more eager to rev and more fun to drive. It was quite evident after driving the Nexon. The power delivery on both the machines were linear but I like the Ecosport's more. This coupled with the fact that the one on the Ecosport is a tried and tested one whereas the new one from Tata is yet to be put to test.

2. Audio wasn't my priority. The system on the Ecosport was good enough for me. However, if it had not been so, the one on the Nexon is much better.

3. Looks: While the Nexon carries a more coupe type look the Ecosport with the spare wheel had the SUVish DNA. That's a personal preference.

4. Family: Again looks; was very happy with the Ecosport. The only vote in favour of the Nexon was my daughter's. Wifey and parents were put-off with the overdone back and the multiple shades (grey roof / painted body / white ceramic line / black inserts) though to me the funky look wasn't much of a bother. But the family vote really matters here, right?

5. Braking: The braking on the Ecosport is another strength. It has enough bite and inspires confidence. The braking on the Nexon lacks the bite.

6. Sales & After sales service: I had mentioned in my review as well that I was very happy with the after sales service. Tata's service is still inconsistent across. Even the sales department has to go a long way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB311 (Post 4341366)
On a side note can you comment on the changed feel of the gearbox ? Is it smooth now, like a hyundai or does it still has those long throws.

Hyundai? No, not that smooth. The throw almost remains the same but its just a little more smooth so you feel the throw has improved too. I know I am confusing you but the fact is it has improved but not to the likes of Hyundai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catchjyoti (Post 4341571)
I had one question. You wrote that Ford has heard most of the customer feedback and has done the changes. But one thing I always felt was that the tail-gate opens on the wrong side. I wonder if enough owners did not point it out or Ford chose not to do it?

Seems like Ford has preferred to keep it that way for cost save. A change in the side could mean significant change to the design just for the Indian market. Being a Global car, they would prefer to have the same for all markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jude300 (Post 4341687)

1. The heart of the machine; one big factor to swing my decision towards the Ecosport. The engine on the Ecosport is more eager to rev and more fun to drive. It was quite evident after driving the Nexon. The power delivery on both the machines were linear but I like the Ecosport's more. This coupled with the fact that the one on the Ecosport is a tried and tested one whereas the new one from Tata is yet to be put to test.

That is an interesting observation. When the Nexon launched and I saw the specs, I was mighty impressed since it seemed a fair few years ahead of the Ecosports engine when the power and torque figures were compared- heck, the torque output is almost at Creta levels! Consequently, I thought the Nexon would be a superior machine performance wise. But I hear you saying that is not the case and that the Ecosports TDCI remains the more fun to drive engine with better rev- happiness. Pleased to hear that because aesthetically, the Ecosport is far ahead of the overdone Nexon design and coupled with an engine which is more fun, it should emerge as the better racehorse among the two.

But I'm quite intrigued- is it a better power to weight ratio that gives the Ecosport the performance edge?

Apart from looks and engine, my third priority is the after sales which also you mention are better for the Ford than in the Nexon's case.

I would have been pleased as punch if the Ecosport had been tuned up to Aspire/ Figo levels with 215 NM torque though.

My Ecosport test drive is finally scheduled for this weekend. Will also check out the Nexon, if not for anything else than to get a taste of how indigenous Tata manufacturing has progressed such a long way since the Indica days.

A very fascinating and informative piece. This review gives us more insights for prospective buyers like me and a different perspective to think from.

A question for you. Do you think the 8 inch touchscreen is too intrusive for the driver? I felt the unit might become a distraction especially when it is active and in the dark. The 6.5 inch system fits perfectly and doesn't obstruct. May be our mind and senses will adjust to it with time. Love the slick floating design and SYNC3's responsiveness though. Way ahead of the competition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt (Post 4341224)
I wanted to understand from you the reasons you had for not going with Nexon. Did you TD the Nexon or were you so much satisfied with ES that turned your decision towards ES?.

Adding my two cents on why I choose Ecosport instead of Nexon.
1). The Ecosport engine though not as powerful as Nexon's, is much more refined and coming from driving petrol engine for last six years, the Ecosport seemed to be a natural choice.

2). The Ecosport is a better finished product overall. Tata still has a lot of rough edges and the quality check in Tata needs a serious upgrade. I remember some buttons and door handle not working on a new TD car.

3). Having owned a Figo for past six years, I was confident about the after sales service from Ford whereas Tata's service was not much appreciated in my city.

Two departments where I felt Nexon was superior to Ecosport:-
1) In Sports mode Nexon was properly a hoot to drive and would easily leave Ecosport in the dust.

2) The rear seating in Nexon is impressive and even better than some sedans such as Verna.