Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2018, 10:32   #1
BHPian

Video: Maruti Ignis Ownership Review

Hello Fellow BHPians, This is my second ownership review on the forum, so if I make any mistakes, I apologize in advance. This is the ownership review of my 2017 Maruti Suzuki Ignis Petrol and I have made it in the form of a video review so I hope you guys like it!

Premise
The story starts around the end of November 2016. Our 2007 SX4 ZXi(With CNG) had started acting up and the Engine required some complex work due to which we had to sell it off. The SX4 was sharing the Garage with a 2016 S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and the decison to buy another hatchback for city runs was made. It didn’t make sense to have two big cars in a city like Mumbai and a hatchback is always appreciated as you can easily find parking etc etc. Hence, in December of 2016, We started looking for hatchbacks around Rs.8 Lakhs hoping to get some good year end discounts.

Cars Considered

Baleno
Initially we were considering Petrols and since we have always had Maruti cars in the Garage, The Baleno was a no-brainer option. The Zeta(Petrol) variant fit the bill really well so we decided if nothing interests us, we will come back to it.

I20 Elite
The i20 Elite is a really good car. Superb looks, Top Notch fit and finish in the interiors and even the Sportz model that we were considering was loaded upto the brim. I had thoroughly gone through the Team-Bhp review and was only down to one conclusion- The car is great for city but maybe not that great on the highway and the fuel efficency of the Petrol is not going to be as close as what the Maurti Engines would give. Hence the decision was made to skip the i20.

Honda Jazz
I never really liked the looks and the visual appeal of the Jazz but Dad insisted on checking it out. It’s a really spacious and a practical car but I found it to be a little too expensive and since we were considering the Manual, The poor low end torque was something that really put the off. Plus I couldn’t really connect with the car and hence we let it go.

Ford Figo
The Team-Bhp reviews as well as the Forums were full of praises for the Figo Diesel. The Titanium Diesel was also near our budget so we decided to check it out. Loved the car, The Diesel Engine is a rocket and the car is probably the best enthusiast car for about 8 Lakh rupees in India. I was totally sold onto the car and we were probably going to book the same too. But due to some issues, the booking was delayed and in the meantime, the stories of diesel ban started floating which made us reconsider the car. We already had the S-cross 1.6 Diesel which is fun to drive, a diesel and our primary go to car. Hence we decided to be back to square one and look for only Petrols. Was really disappointed that we didn’t buy the Figo Diesel but in retrospect, it was the best decision ever as the Figo recently made a way into our Garage in the pre-owned form. But more on that, in a separate thread.

So now that we were only looking for petrols, I started reading about the Ignis. The Retro-Modern style of the car, which although controversial, really appealed the millenial in me. I was constantly reading and watching videos about it, and the car started growing onto me. So we decided we will wait for its launch and in the meantime, gave a booking cheque to Nexa in January 2018 to reserve a slot.

Ignis
I was at my Nexa Dealer the day the prices were announced and Maruti had taken me by surprise. The Ignis was approximately 50,000 more than the pricing that I expected it to be. Heck, even the Baleno Zeta that we considered was turning out to be 20-30k cheaper and hence the discussions were started.
The Baleno obviously seemed a more VFM car on the paper. It’s a segment above, has almost everything in the Zeta variant and it obviously made more sense. If this was going to be the primary car in the family, we would have gone ahead with the Baleno

But the Ignis was a secondary car. It was more compact than the Baleno, had a raised stance(Easier for elders and people with arthritis, which was important) and to me it was the perfect city car. Hence, we decided to went ahead with the Booking of the Ignis 1.2 Alpha in Tinsel Blue-Back Shade.
On February 17, 2017 The Ignis was home and here’s my ownership review after owning and driving the car for over a year and with 7500 kms on it.

nimit3105 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 10:45   #2
BHPian

re: Video: Maruti Ignis Ownership Review

Congratulations on your new Ignis. If any day I will own a Maruti I think it will be the Ignis (manual). It has better build quality than any other Maruti cars. Got 2 airbags and ABS as standard on all varients. Trusted service and after sales of Maruti and good fuel economy from a well tesed engine. What more one need in a secondary car? Wishing you a lot of miles in this one.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 11:46   #3
BHPian

Congrats brother on your new car. And the video review was spot-on highlighting the pros and cons.
You can start your own channel of car reviews and subsequently improve with each passing video.
Eagerly waiting for your ford figo diesel review
Old 1st May 2018, 12:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish619 View Post
Congrats brother on your new car. And the video review was spot-on highlighting the pros and cons.
You can start your own channel of car reviews and subsequently improve with each passing video.
Eagerly waiting for your ford figo diesel review
Thanks a lot. This is actually my main YouTube channel. I usually focus on gadgets but once in a while, I do make car videos.
Will be making Figo Diesel review soon. It's a superb car
nimit3105 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 23:52   #5
BHPian

Re: Video: Maruti Ignis Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
This is the ownership review of my 2017 Maruti Suzuki Ignis Petrol and I have made it in the form of a video review so I hope you guys like it!
A very clean and crisp video review there. Liked and comment added.

Considered upsizing the tyres? The steering does weigh up a wee bit more owing to the broader contact patch.
Old 5th May 2018, 00:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
A very clean and crisp video review there. Liked and comment added.

Considered upsizing the tyres? The steering does weigh up a wee bit more owing to the broader contact patch.
Thanks a lot for your like and comment. I didn't consider upsizing the tyres as the Ignis is more of a city runabout car for me.. It's not going to do a lot of Expressway runs or Ghat roads. That's the reason I stuck to the stock tyres.
Old 18th May 2018, 11:36   #7
BHPian

Great review Nimit.
And congratulations. This is a perfect a city runabout as I found out in my TD last week. Have booked one and waiting for delivery next week.
Wish you many more happy miles ahead...
Old 10th September 2019, 18:17   #8

Hi nimit,

That was a wonderful long term review. Thanks

Now more than a year having passed after that, how about a longer long term review ?

I ask because I'm planning to buy ignis this festive season.

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks