Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 10:33   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: 2018 Mercedes S-Class Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
I guess this Ad Blue is another fluid (headache) to be taken care of by the car owner/ chauffeur in addition to fuel, brake fluid, wiper fluid, engine lubricant etc.
It's actually not that much of a hassle. The minimum that a 25 liter tank will last is 14,000 km and the maximum is 21,500 km. Thus, we can safely assume that filling the tank up at every scheduled service should suffice. Of course, someone who is borderline OCD like me will carry a liter in the boot *just in case*.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 10:38   #17
BHPian

Just 3 words: What a Car. Mercedes-Benz have really upped their game in the last few years with their designs, inside-out. I recently got a chance to travel in the back seat of the new E200d and the seat comfort was just mind blowing. I could take endless naps in it. And when we talk about the new S, she just takes it to another level of luxury.
In addition to that, it's good that MB have launched a BS-VI compliant engine with their flagship sedan (barring the Maybachs). With an industry driven by a "me-too" model, we can foresee that with this move, other manufacturers would also be moving away from the older-generation engines to more environment friendly engines. Well, at least till the electric cars start coming in.
Very nicely compiled review. Thank you.
Cheers
Akshitsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 10:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Man oh man. 5 years on and this car has not aged one bit. There are some things that are a bit at odds though.

Considering the S class is the epitome of what a luxury car should be, is also at the very summit of technology in a car, you'd expect that by this time, there was a hybrid motor on offer. That isn't the case though. Yes; it is quiet and surpasses what everyone would expect. However; if you do want to get rid of that "very tiny vibration and faint sound from the diesel engine (pre face lift)", a hybrid is one way to go about it (apart from carrying out various other nvh improvement this car has). Mercedes could argue by saying, get the petrol is you want absolute silence but that is missing the point. Considering Lexus have been offering hybrids on their LS range for almost a decade, why not the Germans.

No memory or cooled seats is baffling. I also don't understand why there can't be calf or foot rest support for the passenger behind the drivers seat. Is it because it could put the drivers seating position at risk? Maybe.

The AdBlu bit is a bit concerning. You better not forget to top it up too considering the engine won't crank. Probably more a driver instruction owners need to provide.

Just looking at the drivers seat tells me that I do not want to chauffeur anyone or even drive this car. It looks so comfortable and supportive that I might nod off.

Truth be told, the W222 was sheer brilliance when it was first launched and it still is. A 7 Series or an A8 is never going to dethrone it. The S has a level of grandeur in its design (in and out) that the other two don't have. This is pretty much what has kept the S on top for Mercedes and their customers.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 11:04   #19

Three empty buttons on the right side controls console. Do they have any functions associated with them on the non-indian versions of S-Class?
Old 31st May 2018, 12:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan View Post
Three empty buttons on the right side controls console. Do they have any functions associated with them on the non-indian versions of S-Class?
The pre-facelift international version gets the 360-degree camera and night vision buttons in the same spot (from the Rehaan's report). In the Indian car, the camera and the parking sensor buttons have moved to the center console (near the control dial and the touch touchpad and we get a button to adjust the rear sunshade. So I guess only the night vision is the missing button.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 16:11   #21
BHPian

Guess what this car still has the off set steering.The steering wheel is still not in the Centre it’s a bit off set to the left in the right hand drive car and to the right in the left hand drive one, will give the chauffeur a backache on long drives
Old 31st May 2018, 16:29   #22
BHPian

The S class was always the epitome of the luxury around the world when it comes to cars. But it catching up with 7 series on driving pleasures is sure a big leap forward (I am sure it will still have a long way to go to come at par with mighty 730d).

Just proves though that Mercedes has taken giant leaps in everything they do, as evident in all their launches over last year or so. Others are lagging behind real fast!

Last edited by yogesh.8984 : 31st May 2018 at 16:30.
Old 1st June 2018, 09:59   #23
BHPian

Very classy car. Love the interiors but honestly, I don’t like the 3 led strips on the headlights. This is THE car to have unless you want to go further for Rolls and likes. But then that’s another segment.

Also, why do you want sportiness of in a car of this class? Focus on luxury and comfort; Mercedes is doing exactly that and hence succeeding. That’s what the majority of customers want anyway.

IMHO, sportiness in a luxury sedans ends with the likes of 5-series/E-Class (Non LWB). Why drag it for this class?
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 16:40   #24
BHPian

Dream car for any right minded person who knows something about the cars!
Regarding adblue, it is pretty common in India nowadays. From the effective implementation of BS-IV engines, all the commercial vehicles complying BS-IV norms use it day in & day out. It costs around 65 to 70 Rupees depending on the state. So no worries there.
Only worry would be initial cost though!
Old 4th June 2018, 08:31   #25
BHPian

The car is a head turner and it is majestic. I love the three pointed star on the hood and I hope Mercedes retains the same in next edition as well only for S class. But excluding the memory seats in front rows is stupid enough for a car that costs an apartment price in heart of Chennai city. What if the owner wants to take it for joy ride with family on a weekend and chauffeur driven on weekdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
Only worry would be initial cost though!
Also the maintenance cost of the car once it crosses the warranty. Especially with all those electronic gizmos.
Old 8th June 2018, 10:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Slightly going off topic, but if this DEF is basic requirement for meeting BS-6 emissions, do we see something similar in low capacity diesel engine like, say 1.2 Diesel in Hyundai grand I-10 in near future?
Most probably small capacity diesel engines will be phased out. As per manufacturers, upgraded diesel engines shall cost about 2-2.5 lakh rupees over
petrol engines [compared to current difference of 1-1.5 lakh] due to increased complexity, making them nonviable.

In Europe the minimum capacity for Hyundai diesel is 1.6 litre [as per Hyundai UK].
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Slightly going off topic, but if this DEF is basic requirement for meeting BS-6 emissions, do we see something similar in low capacity diesel engine like, say 1.2 Diesel in Hyundai grand I-10 in near future?
Most likely, YES.

As far as I know, Adblue will be used in almost all BS6 Engines. However, it's possible that I'm wrong .
Old 6th October 2018, 21:28   #28
BHPian

Looks like AL has found a way to avoid AdBlue and be BS6 compliant.
https://www.ashokleyland.com/article...-Engine-driven

P.s. - I am in no way associated with AL
Old 20th October 2018, 01:37   #29
BHPian

Hey guys. Looking to pick up an S class this festive season, but can delay the purchase till the end of the year or the start of the next.
Any tips on getting a good deal on the diesel would be appreciated, since apparently they are rare on the S class. I can pick the car up from any dealer in Delhi apart from the home town.

Thank you.
Stratosphere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks