Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2018, 16:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: My drive - Hyundai Elite i20 1.2L Asta

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishna.te View Post
.....I haven't attempted overtaking at high speeds by downshifting yet. I highly doubt if this issue has been fixed in the facelift (though there's a re-mapped engine in this one).
The problem is (at least what I noticed), putting aside the cruise-by passes made on stationary or vastly slower vehicles in other lanes, most overtakes would involve downshifting to 3rd gear as that's where the mid-range punch is in most small motors. The i20 sort of loses grunt momentarily in that band, can catch out someone not used to it.

Quote:
Are you referring to the telescopic adjustment? I find that the tilt adjustment in combination with the seat adjustment works well enough for me!
Yes, it was available from the Sportz variant onwards in the Elite's first iteration before Hyundai went on a feature deletion spree. It's a boon on long (read full-day) highway drives where the shoulders and lower back take the worst beating if the ergonomics aren't just right.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th July 2018 at 16:29.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 19:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Commenting specifically on highway behavior of the petrol motor, check if you feel a flat-spot in third gear in the 3.5-4k RPM range, which is usually where one is while overtaking at high double-digit speeds. The car seems to lack acceleration for a couple seconds, forcing an upshift (counter-intuitive I know, but downshifting makes it worse, all whine and no grunt).
Hope Harikrishna doesn't mind me adding my 2 quid.

This seems to be a characteristic of Hyundai engines as I face this on my diesel as well (2017 model). The work around here is to be gentle on the accelerator rather than rev it pedal-to-metal. I know this because when I'm cruising at a relaxed pace I never encounter this phenomenon; sometimes I drive aggressively on 2 lane roads and this is where this behaviour catches me out. Yes, downshifting makes it even worse. You will have to get past that with gritted teeth and I can tell you, it's not pleasant.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 08:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is (at least what I noticed), putting aside the cruise-by passes made on stationary or vastly slower vehicles in other lanes, most overtakes would involve downshifting to 3rd gear as that's where the mid-range punch is in most small motors. The i20 sort of loses grunt momentarily in that band, can catch out someone not used to it.
That's quite true. So far, I have tried this only in the 4th gear and while it gets the job done, it isn't the smoothest possible ride. My comparison here is my Honda Unicorn (forget the power to weight ratio, just the feeling of acceleration). Similar maneuvers can quite easily be accomplished on that motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Hope Harikrishna doesn't mind me adding my 2 quid.

This seems to be a characteristic of Hyundai engines as I face this on my diesel as well (2017 model). The work around here is to be gentle on the accelerator rather than rev it pedal-to-metal. I know this because when I'm cruising at a relaxed pace I never encounter this phenomenon; sometimes I drive aggressively on 2 lane roads and this is where this behaviour catches me out. Yes, downshifting makes it even worse. You will have to get past that with gritted teeth and I can tell you, it's not pleasant.
Of course I don't mind

I too have experienced this. This usually happens to me in the 2nd to 3rd gear shift (different from the problem that I originally talked about) and I too find that a slow rev helps in accelerating at a uniform pace.

Quote:
Yes, it was available from the Sportz variant onwards in the Elite's first iteration before Hyundai went on a feature deletion spree. It's a boon on long (read full-day) highway drives where the shoulders and lower back take the worst beating if the ergonomics aren't just right.
I completely agree. Luckily, I have found just the right setting!
harikrishna.te is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks