Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:09   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Life with my 'Brownie' - The 2018 Honda Amaze Diesel CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
The brake felt a little bit hard, and the drive seemed lethargic even after pressing the accelerator. After driving for some duration, I noticed that the car was not at all creeping when put in 'D' mode. I realized something was wrong, then immediately took a U-turn and headed straight to the service station.
After another 2-3 kms, the situation got so pathetic that I started noticing smoke from behind, and the brake was too hard by this time. I immediately parked the car on the side, and was surprised to see smoke from the front driver side wheels.
From the symptoms - It looks like the handbrake was somehow actuated. Suspecting handbrake primarily - as you mention smoke only from the rear.

Is there a warning system for the handbrake?

Quote:
I'm so frustrated with this that I'm thinking of suing them.
Too early for any of that. With the Indian legal system - you would be running around for years - and its not worth it, for a small issue. The only issues faced till now is the Glovebox and then now this brakes issue, right?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd August 2018 at 12:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 18:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few updates:
A little bit OT, but am open for suggestions from T-BHPians. I'm so frustrated with this that I'm thinking of suing them. This kind of utter carelessness from the service station is not at all acceptable. What are my chances if I sue and take them to court?
First it was issue with Toyota, particularly the new Innova, and now its Honda's turn! Not sure if we Indians are being taken lightly by the Japanese thanks slow legal process.

Indian brands were not so good to start with, but at least they don't charge premium siting reliability.

Hope your car remains trouble free after this visit to the service.
Old 24th August 2018, 18:28   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Thanks for your thread. Seems to be a serious issue. What is the status bro?
After the fix, I might have driven the car for close to 200 kms, and this issue did not surface again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is there a warning system for the handbrake?
The only issues faced till now is the Glovebox and then now this brakes issue, right?
The handbrake indicator turns on when engaged. In fact that was the first root-cause that I suspected, however the handbrake indication was off.
Yes, the main issues faced till now are the glovebox issue, hand brake issue, and I'm facing rattles from the front passenger side window.
The dealer would have procured the replacement glovebox by now. I was informed it would be arriving this week.
Othwerwise there is no other issue seen. Touchwood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
First it was issue with Toyota, particularly the new Innova, and now its Honda's turn! Not sure if we Indians are being taken lightly by the Japanese thanks slow legal process.

Indian brands were not so good to start with, but at least they don't charge premium siting reliability.

Hope your car remains trouble free after this visit to the service.
What really peeves is how the service center folks can mess up something so critical. I shudder thinking of what might have happened if I had gone on a long drive when this happened.
scorpion_blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 18:40   #64
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
After the fix, I might have driven the car for close to 200 kms, and this issue did not surface again.
What was the exact diagnosis of the issue which Honda gave? And what about the wear and tear of the mechanical components that occurred to such an extent that smoke came out of the car? That seems to be years of wear and tear in a few minutes, so I hope all the affected components have been replaced?
Old 24th August 2018, 18:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
What was the exact diagnosis of the issue which Honda gave? And what about the wear and tear of the mechanical components that occurred to such an extent that smoke came out of the car? That seems to be years of wear and tear in a few minutes, so I hope all the affected components have been replaced?
Honda engineers claim that the issue was the button in the brake-pad that was a bit off its position. However they could not answer how it happened in the first place.

There is no part that was replaced by Honda, the engineers just aligned the switch in the brake-pad and adjusted the range of the brake play area. I'm not sure which all parts would have been affected by this. Any help is this regard would be really appreciated.
Old 3rd September 2018, 17:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Few updates:

Honda has announced a Product Update of EPS (Electric assist power steering) for some specific VIN numbers of Honda Amaze.

As recommended by Honda, I got the EPS update done couple of days back.
Hi, What was this EPS update about ? What changes they made to your car during this service ? please update as i am taking my Amaze coming Saturday for the first service. Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear about the smoke episode, hope it is rectified completely without any further issues.

Swami
Old 2nd December 2018, 10:36   #67
BHPian

Hello Dear. All windows rattle when not fully closed. Glove box opens on rough roads. Otherwise I hv not faced any issues in the 5000+ KMs driven EXCEPT:

On pulling the car with fully depressed accelerator, RPM 3500+, the oil pressure light comes ON and stays ON. It goes off on switching engine OFF and ON again. It is scary. Had not pulled hard till now, so experienced this today only. Does it mean that the pressure sensor which used to be a switch earlier now senses the actual pressure and we get an over pressure warning ? Experts?
Lavs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
Hello Dear. All windows rattle when not fully closed.
Doesn't happen in my car. I always drive with all windows fully closed with AC set to 'Auto', never faced this issue. There were minor rattles observed, but these were resolved during service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
Glove box opens on rough roads
I had the exact same issue. I was told by Honda service technicians that the glove box issues exist in the initial batch, and it has been resolved in the latest batch. Please bring this to the attention of your service center, and do drop an email to Honda CC, they will replace it for free under warranty.

On another note, I faced a strange issue after the third free service. During my drive to office in the morning, I noticed a 'click' sound, and soon after there was a 'L' shaped crack on the front windshield. I immediately brought this to the attention of service center that serviced my vehicle and Honda customer care. After the service technicians analyzed the surface for no external damage and a report was submitted to Honda, the front windshield was replaced for free under warranty

It has been 6 months now, and Brownie has almost touched the 9k mark on the odo. There have been quite a few issues during these six months of ownership, but there is no denying the fact that the diesel+CVT combo is a pleasure to drive in the infamous Bangalore traffic.
scorpion_blore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 15:00   #69

Hello All,
I have decided to book Amaze V CVT variant. It's one of the best automatic within 10 Lacs range and I loved driving it. The only concern is that it lacks a touchscreen infotainment system which is provided in VX only. I want a touchscreen system installed. Dealers in delhi have offered me the system which is in VX at Rs 45000 which is too expensive. Also, dealers here in Delhi are either offering Blaupunkt or Mega Audio which I dont like. I asked them that I'll get this from outside and their response was that it will void the warranty. Although I am quite sure if there is no wire cutting done, it wont impact warranty.

Can someone here reccomend a good system from outside within 20-25k range preferably pioneer, sony or similar reputed brand and guide if getting this installed will really void the warranty. If yes, can someone suggest in Blaupunkt. Also, I definitely want Apple Carplay in system.
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:47   #70
BHPian

Just came back from two back-to-back long drives over the Christmas and New Year holidays. The total distance covered was close to 1500 kms. Brownie completed 11k kms on the odo yesterday!

Brownie responded really well even in ghat sections with highly inclined roads just in 'D' mode. There was no need to shift to 'S' or 'L' mode at all.

The overall mileage was 19.5 KMPL during a trip with two adults and a kid. This dropped down to 18 KMPL with four adults and a kid during the second trip.

Noticed few issues during the long run (noticeable only when driven over rough patches):
1) Metal noise seen in the glovebox from the portion where the unit latches on at the top
2) Rattling noise near the steering column
3) Vibrations at the driver side door panel resulting in rattles when any small item is kept in the door pad
4) Sometimes only 1 horn blows

Issue 2 and 3 have been resolved by the service center. The service center claimed that they solved the other two remaining issues, but they have surfaced again. There are no other issues that is noticeable.
scorpion_blore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 16:14   #71
BHPian

Update as on Feb 1, 2019:
The issue with the horn still exists. Several visits to the service station (Brigade Honda Bangalore) has not helped. Shot an email to Honda regarding this, yet to get a feedback.
Life with my 'Brownie' - The 2018 Honda Amaze Diesel CVT-hondamail_20190201.png

Looks like the number of incidents of windshield abruptly cracking on the new Amaze is on the rise. Saw a post in FB recently where a user reported that his windshield had cracked without his knowledge.
Life with my 'Brownie' - The 2018 Honda Amaze Diesel CVT-screenshot_20190126182028199_com.facebook.katana.png
Old 21st September 2019, 16:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks like the number of incidents of windshield abruptly cracking on the new Amaze is on the rise. Saw a post in FB recently where a user reported that his windshield had cracked without his knowledge.
Any updates on the Brownie? Hope lack of update means the car is doing well

Have recommended this car to few folks who wanted good city car.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 18:52   #73
NGM
BHPian

Quote:

Noticed few issues during the long run (noticeable only when driven over rough patches):
1) Metal noise seen in the glovebox from the portion where the unit latches on at the top
2) Rattling noise near the steering column
3) Vibrations at the driver side door panel resulting in rattles when any small item is kept in the door pad
4) Sometimes only 1 horn blows

Issue 2 and 3 have been resolved by the service center. The service center claimed that they solved the other two remaining issues, but they have surfaced again. There are no other issues that is noticeable.
Can you please provide a long term review for Brownie?
It will really help others who are considering it.
NGM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 21:14   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Any updates on the Brownie? Hope lack of update means the car is doing well
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Can you please provide a long term review for Brownie?
It will really help others who are considering it.
So far so good. It has been 17 months since Brownie arrived, and already clocked more than 25k kms on the odo!

For those considering to buy this in the future, consider going through the summary below:
  • CVT works like a charm. No hassles in city traffic. I commute 70 kms daily in the peak Bangalore traffic, and the CVT has never let me down.
  • Delayed feedback in CVT: If I have to nitpick, this would be the only concern. A 0.5 to 1 second delay is noticed from the moment one accelerates to the feedback from the engine. Easily noticable when standstill.
  • Rattles: Rattling sound from the glovebox whenever driven over rough patches and potholes. Service center unable to fix even after repeated follow-ups.
  • Glove box: Huge gaps seen around glovebox, poor designing by Honda
  • Squeaks: Continuous low frequency squeaking sound from the steering column. Service center unable to fix even after repeated follow-ups.
  • Mileage: 13-14 in peak Bangalore city traffic, 20-23 during highway runs
  • AC: No complaints
  • ICE: Good enough for most users, good bass. Major bug in ICE: When one selects 'random' play option in a particular folder of the pen drive, the setting gets reset when one moves to another folder in the pen drive. Also note that only 6 channels can be saved for FM.
  • Horn: Sometimes only one horn blows, and suddenly switches to two. Clarified by Honda engineers that is part of their design. Personally very unhappy with this.
  • Ground clearance: Very good. Bottom scraped only on a couple of occasions, that too on huge speed-breakers.
  • Space: Excellent boot space. Comfortable for 4 passengers, can accommodate 5 but can get uneasy over long rides.
  • Service cost: Personally feel that the service cost is cheaper than Maruti. The spares are reasonably priced, and so is the routine service cost.
  • Strange issues, no clarity of the few issues surfaced till date: Smoke coming from the wheels the next day after mandatory wheel calibration recommended by Honda, unexpected crack in the front windshield without any external impact.
  • Headlight had to replaced due to blown fuse. Never had this issue during my 107k kms ownership of my earlier Maruti Ritz. Not a big concern though.
  • Stock tyres good enough. No punctures so far in 25k kms usage. Might go for an upgrade once the treads start showing their age.

If planning to buy this, be mentally ready for the squeaks and rattles, and the service center may be of little help in resolving this. There may be occasional strange issues like the ones I faced. Hence I recommend to take the extended maintenance cover which would take care of these issues. Otherwise it is gem of a car among the compact sedans!

Last edited by ampere : 17th November 2019 at 00:35. Reason: back to back posts merged
scorpion_blore is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 12:56   #75
BHPian

Quote:
So far so good. It has been 17 months since Brownie arrived, and already clocked more than 25k kms on the odo!
Hi,

I have a Golden Brown Petrol V Manual delivered to me on 8th July 2018. The car is super durable but there are some niggles which shows huge carelessness by Honda.

1) Second Gear Pick Up issue which is never resolved.
2) Weak Headlamps which I have replaced with Osram Night Breaker.
3) Bad quality wipers which got replaced in 1 year.
4) No cladding present in side Boot Door and under bonnet shield.
5) Stock Stereo is too basic and could have been better.
6) Very Soft suspension.

Although I love my Amy and its a wonderful companion but sometimes I think I could have Waite a bit and explored other option.

Life with my 'Brownie' - The 2018 Honda Amaze Diesel CVT-80639115_10157084343392909_1631638331785740288_o.jpg

Last edited by Eddy : 1st January 2020 at 13:06. Reason: Quoting a large post hampers readability
Rajat347 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks