Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 15:26   #16
BHPian

Re: My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol

First Service update

Hyundai has this service SMS reminder feature that begins to nag well in advance. It was neither 2 months nor 1200-1500 km mileage for my car, but the alerts starting pouring in. With a 500 km odd trip planned in few days, I took the car for the first free service at Ketan Hyundai here in Chandrapur. The car has clocked 1150 km. Overall, the service went quite well (it is just a check and wash, anyway).

I had two questions in mind. One about the EBD and the other about the compressor noise that I hear in the cabin. After a drive with the service personnel, it was assured as a normal noise. As for the EBD, they still don't have a conclusive answer but only defend the absence of the same.

The Service Advisor was kind enough to top-up the wiper fluid and handover a couple of sachets for free!

Updates on the car,
  1. My brainbox struggles to ignore the mild compressor noise that seeps into the cabin. It is clearly heard when there is no music.
  2. The fuel lid problem hasn't re-appeared and the covers for the rear headrests couldn't be fitted properly.
  3. I have applied a door-sill sticker to prevent scratches and the team-bhp one as well. Quite happy with the result.

The stickering process was quite easy. The only caution is to ensure the squareness at the start. The rest is just squeezing and pushing.

The sticker,
My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-new3.jpg

The end result on the Left,
My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-new2.jpg

The end result on the Right,
My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-new.jpg

Love Cars, Live Cars it is,
My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-neww.jpg
vivee90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 15:26   #17
BHPian

Congrats on your new vehicle. Good vehicle, we already have one in the family. Planning for one more for personal use. How is it hold up on day to day usage?

The carbon fiber scuff-plate idea is good. I too would like to get this done on my vehicle. Where is this available and how much does this cost?
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 13:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
How is it hold up on day to day usage?
Thanks. It is a very general question that you have asked. Anyways, it is holding up well. The major grouse for now is the distinct compressor noise that is audible to the driver when driven without any music.

Quote:
The carbon fiber scuff-plate idea is good. I too would like to get this done on my vehicle. Where is this available and how much does this cost?
I bought the sticker online and applied it myself. You can get the sticker roll for Rs.500. ( this is the one I have http://amzn.in/aESKSw1)
Old 15th September 2018, 12:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivee90 View Post
Thanks. It is a very general question that you have asked. Anyways, it is holding up well. The major grouse for now is the distinct compressor noise that is audible to the driver when driven without any music.

I bought the sticker online and applied it myself. You can get the sticker roll for Rs.500. ( this is the one I have http://amzn.in/aESKSw1)
Hi, was meaning the NHV factor - any rattles noticed?. I too had picked up a Grand i10 last week - Sportz model. Good so far. I am not able to notice this compressor noise being mentioned. Have only driven about 300 kms so far. So will wait and watch.

Picked up the scuff plates accessory given. It covers more or less the entire area where the scratches can happen. Will share the photos this weekend.
Old 25th September 2018, 21:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel Efficiency
The first full tank returned 15.8 kmpl. The tank has a capacity of 43 litres. I use the FuelIO application to track the FE. I will keep updating the Fuel log as I cover some more mileage. I guess the FE to be in the 15kmpl zone.
@Vivee90, Can you comment on the FE figures you are getting with this 1.2 Kappa engine?
Old 26th September 2018, 09:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, was meaning the NHV factor - any rattles noticed?. I too had picked up a Grand i10 last week - Sportz model.
Hello Karvel, Apologies for the delay in answering. Congratulations on the new car. NVH levels are very good at city speeds and engine noise is almost muted most times. There is considerable wind noise at speeds of about 70 kmph.

I still feel the compressor noise. It creeps up whenever I accelerate sometimes and stops within 4-5 seconds. I am still diagnosing if it is an issue in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramji_or View Post
@Vivee90, Can you comment on the FE figures you are getting with this 1.2 Kappa engine?
I get 16.5 kmpl. I use Fuelio application to log. Most of my drives are on town roads and highways with no serious traffic. The climate control is mostly at 23 Celcius. Occupancy is mixed. Total Odo so far is 2400 km.
Old 26th September 2018, 21:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I get 16.5 kmpl. I use Fuelio application to log. Most of my drives are on town roads and highways with no serious traffic. The climate control is mostly at 23 Celcius. Occupancy is mixed. Total Odo so far is 2400 km.
@Vivee90, thanks for explaining the FE figures in the BHPian way. I got all the necessary details to extrapolate it for my usage.
Old 20th December 2018, 16:01   #23
BHPian

4000km up on the car. Recently went on a 1000km round trip and came back very satisfied with the car. Driving the car for long stints was so effortless that I didn't feel like taking breaks to relax. Controlled NVH, Light clutch and smooth gear shifts helped a lot in munching miles.

I figured out that the compressor noise that I complained about is reduced when I set the climate control to Manual mode. Although, I can still feel and hear the compressor working only the frequency has reduced.

Achieving a fuel consumption of 16.2 kmpl using FuelIO. Most runs are highways and short drives in medium traffic.

The steering system holds up well till 120 kmph but above that, it isn't confident inspiring (not recommending anyone to try!) as the steering feels light.

Image from the recent trip
My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-ff.jpg

Last edited by vivee90 : 20th December 2018 at 16:05.
vivee90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 10:59   #24
BHPian

First-year Service Update

It has been 12 months since the car was purchased. It is time for the second free service. The car has done 8600 odd Km so far. No complaints and pretty satisfied with the car. Average FE has been 15.4Kmpl (FuelIO) with intermittent highway and town roads. Recently, the FE has come down to 13.5 Kmpl, may be due to the hot weather. I am keeping an eye on how it goes further.

The second service at Ketan Hyundai in Gondia costed Rs.2497 with some liberal service procedures. Although I was apprehensive about Carb cleaning, calliper greasing and Wheel balancing at this stage, I gave the go-ahead owing to the maintenance of the car. I can only hope now that they have actually done all that was charged for. The car has clocked 10 km during the visit, which is on the high side.

My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-gru.jpg

recently bought an Autographix Sunfilm for the Windows and rear glass. It costed around Rs.2500 and is decent in blocking heat. I believe the Asta version comes with tinted glass all around when compared to the other variants. So, this didn't change the look of the car much.

Got the Viofo A119 Dashcam with GPS and contemplating the position in the windscreen. I plan to keep it powered from the Cigarette lighter for a few months. totally love the GPS speed profile and the video quality. The cam is robust too since it actually dropped a few times due to the suction cup giving up.
Old 26th June 2019, 11:28   #25

The I 10 grand is due for a face lift in the last quarter of the year. Hence the existing model has a Cash discount of 50k and gold coin discount of 11k. Additionally the dealer will offer roughly 10k bringing the OTR price of the Asta 1,2 Kappa(p) MT to about 6.95 lakhs in Delhi. Is it worth the buy or is it advisable to wait for the face lift? What are the changes expected in the face lifted 2019 model?
Old 17th August 2019, 13:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustuv09 View Post
The I 10 grand is due for a face lift in the last quarter of the year. Hence the existing model has a Cash discount of 50k and gold coin discount of 11k. Additionally the dealer will offer roughly 10k bringing the OTR price of the Asta 1,2 Kappa(p) MT to about 6.95 lakhs in Delhi. Is it worth the buy or is it advisable to wait for the face lift? What are the changes expected in the face lifted 2019 model?
Apologies for the late reply. Hope it is not too late.

If you are looking for a soft riding family car with good features this might be a good deal. Provided, you are not inclined to buy second-hand. The car is very refined and proven, so it is a safe-buy.

2019 version is not a facelift. It is an all-new car with a proven powertrain. However, dynamics wise we don't know if it is softer or sporty. I suspect the prices for the old model will be reduced further when NIOS is in the showroom. So, test drive the new car and make a decision is my recommendation.
Old 17th August 2019, 19:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:

I figured out that the compressor noise that I complained about is reduced when I set the climate control to Manual mode. Although, I can still feel and hear the compressor working only the frequency has reduced.
Good day

I'm not sure if you have figured it out already but if this is the intermittent whistle noise (can be heard every few seconds), then it's "normal" as per Hyundai. Our Grand i10 also has similar compressor noise and my son, who primarily drives the car, has never been happy about it. Though I dont think it's normal, none of our other cars, including Creta, has this characteristics. He took the car to multiple HASS and every one of them were clueless about it, no surprises there though. Low gas level/leakage was suspected to be the cause but refilling didn't help either - the gas level was below normal level however which was topped up. We drove a brand new Grand i10 in one of the showrooms to check and that car had it too. In short, my son has learnt to live with it and doesn't bother himself with it anymore.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 12:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Good day
In short, my son has learnt to live with it and doesn't bother himself with it anymore.
Thank you for the tip sir. I guess I am taking a similar approach to your son these days. The noise is still there.
vivee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 21:08   #29
BHPian

Third Service Update

Its been two years with the Grand i10. It has been delightful and generous in grace so far.

The second service was done in Gondia, Maharashtra and cost Rs.2913 without Wheel alignment and balancing.
The bill is inflated by Rs.800, because of Engine flush(600) and Carb cleaning (200) respectively. This time, I was ready to pay on the condition that they do it in my presence. I really wanted to see how they do the Carb cleaning and Caliper greasing that the Service Advisor always throws in.

Brake Caliper greasing seems legit but the Carb cleaning doesn't make sense for such a young car, the throttle body was quite clean even before using the spray to clean. Engine flush (Bardahl Engine flush) process wasn't done diligently as mentioned in the container and is overkill at this stage. So, it is just a bill-inflating exercise.

The car has done close to 14000 km in semi-urban roads and roads in making.

Renewed insurance for a surprising amount of Rs.8000 from Acko for an IDV of 5.5L but with 3000 Vol. deductible.

The car gives a consistent FE of 15.5kmpl. The max being 18.3kmpl and min being 13.6kmpl calculated by fuel.

So far, So good!

My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-img_20200615_162735.jpg

I really like the position of the tbhp sticker on the windscreen cowl.

My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-img_20200615_162911.jpg

Last edited by vivee90 : 15th June 2020 at 21:11.
Old 3rd January 2022, 15:39   #30
BHPian

2021 wasn't a great year for my car. Had a couple of incidents that lead to minor body works. It was a good learning experience with various stake holders in the automotive chain.

The regular running of the car has been great. The odo reads 25000+KM now. Very strong FE of 16kmpl.

My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-gru11.jpg

The dashcam has conked off (Viofo A119 with GPS) and there are some rattles in the roof liner near the IRVMs. I initially suspected it was the wire of the dashcam, but now even after removing that, there is a consistent rattle noise in certain situations.

The stock tyres have developed some issues lately, which was identified during routine wheel alignment. Yet to confirm the root cause with Hyundai service team.

I had installed a Lamborghini type, flip switch near the ignition button. But realised it lead to my keyfobs getting drained. I read in the manual later that it is not advised to have a metal part near the push button.

The paint quality is so good that with correct maintenance, it still feel like new car.

My 2018 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol-gru.jpg
vivee90 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks